Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just saw "Crank"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw "Crank"

This movie was f'ing crazy! If you like B-movie action films, then this is for you. And no, I'm not a plant, because some negative comments follow.

Nonstop action and violence and sex for 1 and a half hours, basically. The movie was also hilarious as hell. It went WAY over the top, reminding me of Paul Walker's Running Scared. The two are very similar in the shooting MTV-style. I really enjoyed it, recommend it. The directors said they wanted to shoot a movie that was all action and like a video game, and boy, they achieved it. At least they didn't apologize for the over-the top nature. The movie is beyond unbelieveable and ridiculous, but if you've seen the trailer, I think you'll agree.

However, my friends hated it with a passion and said it was one of the worst movies they had ever seen. Yet surprisingly, critics so far have given good reviews! It will polarize people, you'll either love it or hate it. If you like MTV style over the top action and cheesy action movies like Transporter, B13, Running Scared, etc, and the Tony Scott "Domino" style MTV directing style, you'll like it. It's EXTREMELY violent (hands chopped off, sewing machine in hand, headshots), and misogynistic (I wouldn't take your girlfriends, as women are depicted as sex objects or stupid). Amy Smart was the only real female actress in this movie and had absolutely nothing to do except be the bimbo, despite lead billing. The kills are pretty cool, and I was most impressed by the angles and shots. It was co-directed by music video directors, after all.

Warning: there's a good deal of shaky cam first person camera angles sprinkled throughout to give you a sense of what the lead character is going through being poisoned. When the movie started it reminded me of an FPS for a second. Lots of gimmicky shots like that.

The ending was disappointing, but I was thoroughly entertained for the full duration of the film (a short 83 minutes). The setup takes 5 minutes and the rest of the movie is basically watching this guy run through the city causing mayhem and thinking of creative ways to keep his adrenaline pumping. Like "speed", but in a person.

I guess you have to accept it for what it is, a popcorn action movie. I want to state this upfront as you can expect the talkbacks and smartasses giving their schpiel about lack of a plot or deep characterization. I could care less about that going into a movie called "Crank." The movie was basically a concept film with a gimmick as an excuse to string together very creative action set pieces. Enjoy it for what it is, bitches!

Here's a clip to show you the twisted sense of humor throughout the movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cran...ayerType=video

Last edited by choyboy; 09-01-06 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-01-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New member with a rave review? Color me suspicious.
Old 09-01-06, 01:53 AM
Banned

ha, very funny, i'm not a plant, you've got to be kidding me. my old account was suspended temporarily, so i have to use a new user-id. besides, if i was a plant i wouldn't have said all my friends hated it and the film was misogynistic.

like i said, you'll either love it or hate it. the audience i saw it with was very polarized.
Old 09-01-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think he's a plant. He's been posting for the past few weeks under this name. That, and he just doesn't sound like a plant...although it is always kind of odd when you end your review with a link to the trailer and website...Just seems kind of "Publicity"-ish.

But thanks for the review. Sounds like it might be a fun movie.
Old 09-01-06, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by choyboy
if i was a plant i wouldn't have said all my friends hated it and the film was misogynistic.
You can't be too sure these days. If you came in saying it would win best picture, I'm sure we would know whats up.

I wasn't aware though that you had been posting here for a while. At first glance it looked suspect but I apologize.
Old 09-01-06, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I don't think he's a plant. He's been posting for the past few weeks under this name. That, and he just doesn't sound like a plant...although it is always kind of odd when you end your review with a link to the trailer and website...Just seems kind of "Publicity"-ish.
Geez, you must have my Ice Age 2 thread. I even had direct links to downloadable backgrounds.

Now I have to see this movie. It's 100% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 09-01-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll watch anything with Jason Statham in it.
Old 09-01-06, 08:08 AM

It looks loke the A.D.D. movie of the year.
Old 09-01-06, 09:51 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by choyboy
ha, very funny, i'm not a plant, you've got to be kidding me. my old account was suspended temporarily, so i have to use a new user-id. besides, if i was a plant i wouldn't have said all my friends hated it and the film was misogynistic.
And now you're banned. Goodbye.