DVD Talk
Synapse Films finds Complete HALLOWEEN Film Negatives [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Synapse Films finds Complete HALLOWEEN Film Negatives

Damed
08-29-06, 03:48 PM
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2585

Wow.. I'll be VERY interested to see what comes of this!

ernestrp
08-29-06, 04:06 PM
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2585

Wow.. I'll be VERY interested to see what comes of this!

Atleast another release or two I would guess.

Damed
08-29-06, 04:09 PM
Depending on quality, and amount of extras, I would *SO* double dip for this.

I guess a good HD version can now be created as well.

Cameron
08-29-06, 09:27 PM
very cool find...now lets figure out what will be done with it

pipemann
08-29-06, 11:50 PM
"What we’ve got is pretty much all the unused original camera negative from John Carpenter’s original HALLOWEEN,"- Don May Jr. of Synapse Films.

So I guess this mean they have the deleted scenes and outtakes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the original negative was restored and used by Anchor Bay.

See http://www.dvdreview.com/html/halloween_special_edition_-_the_beginning.shtml

Cinemaddiction
08-30-06, 12:57 AM
Incredible find. I'd gladly add a 3rd or 4th edition of the movie to my collection if it's done right.

Eric D.
08-30-06, 01:07 AM
Wow. Please make an HD DVD, please!

Julie Walker
08-30-06, 02:21 AM
Hopefully for the 30th in 2008, they will rerelease the film properly this time. Use the correct color scheme,and include all the features from the previous releases + the new deleted/blooper footage.

Then that will be the ultimate definitive edition of the film and would be the last time I ever purchase the film!

PopcornTreeCt
08-30-06, 02:43 AM
I can only hope they let Criterion do this.

dablueguy
08-30-06, 03:06 AM
Why would you rather Criterion do this than Synapse? Sorry to say that although Criterion created the "Special Edition" as we know it, they are not the be-all-end-all today. I would go out on a limb and say that there is no one in the business today that would put more into this project than Don May Jr. of Synapse....he uncovered it, let him do it. Criterion is the originator, Synapse is the innovator.

Rogue588
08-30-06, 03:08 AM
I can only hope they let Criterion do this.Yeah, it'd be great if it were non-anamorphic*..

I'd be happy if WB did it. Their recent SEs have been outstanding. Of course, that would no sense..

* Though, they could've changed this. I haven't purchased a Criterion in a while..

Cameron
08-30-06, 03:16 AM
So I guess this mean they have the deleted scenes and outtakes.
See http://www.dvdreview.com/html/halloween_special_edition_-_the_beginning.shtml

The way i read it, is they have not only deleted scenes and out takes, but multiple agles/shots alternate takes, etc. Enough footage it seems to do an almost entire new cut of the movie, if they wished. Plus film elements for the tv footage...which to this point have always been restored from master tapes instead of an actual negative.

I'll also go on record saying that I hope Synapse keeps it in house. (I'm not even sure who can claim rights to footage like this.) I doubt were going to see all of this footage, good chance that some of it is junk...but this could make for all kinds of experiments in multiangle editing features...etc.

Filmmaker
08-30-06, 07:54 AM
Yeah, it'd be great if it were non-anamorphic*..

* Though, they could've changed this. I haven't purchased a Criterion in a while..

Apparently, a looong while.

steebo777
08-30-06, 08:07 AM
This is awesome, although I thought AB already was using a negative of the film for their DVDs as well. Any more Halloween is cool in my book.

BackStJoe
08-30-06, 10:17 AM
I'd love to see them actually do something with Halloween II

salamander2
08-30-06, 01:17 PM
Why would you rather Criterion do this than Synapse? Sorry to say that although Criterion created the "Special Edition" as we know it, they are not the be-all-end-all today. I would go out on a limb and say that there is no one in the business today that would put more into this project than Don May Jr. of Synapse....he uncovered it, let him do it. Criterion is the originator, Synapse is the innovator.

there is a good reason why neither cannot release it, the rights are, and still is, held with Anchor Bay, whom they licensed it from the films producer. Even if you find deleted scenes, the rights to release the film and/or materials is with Anchor Bay. I am not a attorney, but I am guessing those footages are probably the property of the films producers still, unless I am wrong here.

SynapseFilms
08-30-06, 02:55 PM
there is a good reason why neither cannot release it, the rights are, and still is, held with Anchor Bay, whom they licensed it from the films producer. Even if you find deleted scenes, the rights to release the film and/or materials is with Anchor Bay. I am not a attorney, but I am guessing those footages are probably the property of the films producers still, unless I am wrong here.

Well, unfortunately, you are wrong on two counts. Not all the rights are held by Anchor Bay... television and theatrical are held by a totally different company, who just happened to call me excited yesterday by the find.

Also, the footage is not owned by the producers. If/when we come to terms with the Akkad family, then the story behind this stuff, and WHY the producers don't have a real legal claim to the material, can be told. It's sure an interesting one and would be a great section for a new documentary... that is, if the Akkad family wants to do it.

BackStJoe
08-30-06, 03:29 PM
Well, unfortunately, you are wrong on two counts. Not all the rights are held by Anchor Bay... television and theatrical are held by a totally different company, who just happened to call me excited yesterday by the find.

Also, the footage is not owned by the producers. If/when we come to terms with the Akkad family, then the story behind this stuff, and WHY the producers don't have a real legal claim to the material, can be told. It's sure an interesting one and would be a great section for a new documentary... that is, if the Akkad family wants to do it.

Desipte my yearning for a proper Halloween II release, I'm estactic at the thouhts of what you may have come across. Halloween is such a huge part of my childhood, right up there with Star Wars.

Damed
08-30-06, 03:35 PM
Wow, this info has me chomping at the bit.

Thanks for coming in and posting, Don!

bboisvert
08-30-06, 03:48 PM

Wow. Um... Criterion started anamorphic releases 7 years ago.

Lt Ripley
08-30-06, 04:37 PM
Then that will be the ultimate definitive edition of the film and would be the last time I ever purchase the film!

Shhhh! Not so loud Julie! Then they will not give you what you want!

RichDB10
08-30-06, 05:26 PM

Amen, to that! :up:

Wow, this info has me chomping at the bit.
Thanks for coming in and posting, Don!

Exactly my sentiments also.

NatrlBornThrllr
08-30-06, 06:03 PM

rotfl rotfl

CertifiedTHX
08-30-06, 07:25 PM
I've not heard news so exciting in a while. Now dreaming of a 4-disc set with multiple cuts of the film and loads of deleted/alternate scenes. A nice additional touch would be a featurette on how the negatives were discovered and restored. Would make for a perfect 30th anniversary commemorative release. Would happily triple dip. :thumbsup:

How cool is a name like Synapse? Great choice.

--THX

bboisvert
08-30-06, 07:34 PM
Note to Synapse. This is in my "Top 5" list of all-time favorite films. I'm a whore and I will buy anything you can manage to release. Just FYI. ;)

manchester
08-31-06, 11:54 AM
There are two concerns here: are these are really recently unearthed from a vault or are these reels had been known about by others? Secondly, is the audio with the film?

These are being discussed at halloween movies.com

http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=9201&page=2

naitram
08-31-06, 12:25 PM
One of the greatest horror films ever, and one of the most rewatchable films for me too. I'll buy a new cut for sure, I love the version out now with the tv scenes in.

SynapseFilms
08-31-06, 03:06 PM
There are two concerns here: are these are really recently unearthed from a vault or are these reels had been known about by others? Secondly, is the audio with the film?

These are being discussed at halloween movies.com

http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=9201&page=2

Where in the article from Fangoria (the original poster of the news) does it say these were "recently unearthed from a vault"? That was never said and that isn't the issue here... I've known about this stuff for over 10 months now. The footage is almost 30 years old and, well, yeah... it didn't appear out of thin air. It has changed MANY hands over the years. The fact that the footage is intact and found and in safe hands, with someone who actually knows the value and importance of the footage, is the most important news item here. What is hilarious is that all these people who claim to have known about this footage for so long never bothered to speak up, or even initiate the possibility of actually getting it evaluated and looked at!!! This is HALLOWEEN we're talking about here... if the footage was so readily available by the previous owners, why didn't they feel it was important enough to do anything about it? When the material was almost headed to the trash because the storage fees weren't paid, they put up the materials for a public auction and the boxes of material were sold to a private individual... It changed hands over the years and ended up with Billy Kirkus. He contacted us to help him organize and do something with the material (because the previous owners, for whatever reason, never thought that original negative for HALLOWEEN was worth looking in to, I guess), so we took him up on his offer. I'm actually happy that someone like Billy would speak up and understand that what he now has in his possession is important to the film community. He knew what he had would be valuable and important and immediately took the initiative to get the ball rolling to get the footage into capable hands to make sure it was properly cared for and preserved.

Now that Synapse shows an interest and publicly talks about the footage to create some buzz and actually do SOMETHING WITH IT... everyone "in the know" is just now trying to "pee on the parade", for the lack of better words. Oh well... at least I cared enough to try and get something done with this and the Akkad family after Billy Kirkus got hold of it all.

All these people who claim to have known about this footage... why didn't they speak up when THEY had the chance?

Also, I have discussed on a few other forums about the audio. Original negatives do NOT have audio. But, some people who seem to think they know all the facts are severely misinformed. The bottom line is that the footage originated from MGM and there is the possibility that the audio for this footage can be traced. I will quote for you here exactly what I wrote about this very issue on DVD MANIACS.NET:

"...we may be able to trace the sound recordings back to MGM. This film originated there (had we taken a picture of the OTHER side of all those boxes, you'd see the MGM lion and logo clearly visible on each box) and, without going into massive amounts of detail, most of the cutting/editing, etc. was done at MGM as a favor to one of the producers. If the audio exists or not, we can trace it and find out what happened to it... this has already been discussed with Malek Akkad. And, the funny thing is... there may be a couple more movies where we have similar trims/footage at our disposal because of this whole MGM thing.

And, Pleasence aside, if we find anything significant most of the actors are still around to re-record voices if we need to for any extra scenes we may find... also, if there is anything extra with Michael, well, he doesn't talk anyways... :) It's certainly not out of the question to re-record foley, etc. for the extra scenes... if we find anything that is deemed super-important, then, I'm sure, the sequences will be evaluated and sound will be created (or found).

But, again, it's not up to me how to proceed or decide what to do with the footage... all I know is that I've been deemed the guy who gets to log/transfer all the material we've found. While I can certainly make suggestions on what to do with all this, it's not really up to me... it's up to Akkad what he wants to do with it. And, well, he does want it and he does want it logged, transferred and archived and that's where I'll be coming in.

Whether the footage appears in a new DVD, a new documentary, a new version of a theatrical run of HALLOWEEN or just sits in a vault, recorded to HD tape... it's not really my call. All I know is that, regardless of the sound issue, the footage is important enough to Akkad to have it archived and he wants Synapse involved.

We'll be able to answer a lot more questions, I'm sure, when I actually get to dig into those boxes and see what we find...

So there you have it. It just amazes me how, when someone actually shows the initiative to actually do something with this footage, then all these folks come out of the woodwork to try and complain and, really, disparage Kirkus in a public forum and "insinuate" that what is being reported now with this footage isn't the truth.

On one forum someone (I'm quoting) said, "I'm calling bullsh*t!"... yeah, like the president of a well-known DVD company thats been around for 10 years would actually LIE about something like this on websites and public forums... sheesh...

For the record, I'm not complaining about you "manchester", just some other folks who seem to have strange opinions about some business they have nothing to do with.

manchester
08-31-06, 05:20 PM
I'm glad you went to all that trouble to explain it. At no point did I take it against what I had said..just reporting what I had seen elsewhere. Thanks for clearing that up!

dullboy
06-11-09, 05:19 PM
Update on the footage:
http://www.fangoria.com/features/halloween/2838-exclusive-halloween-the-lost-footage.html

Cardsfan111
06-11-09, 05:31 PM
Interesting read, dullboy.

SethDLH
06-11-09, 05:34 PM
Would love to see this footage.

TRC
06-11-09, 06:13 PM
Interesting read, dullboy.

It's hard not to read that as sarcasm. :lol: But I agree, that was fascinating. I'm really hoping this footage gets released somehow.

asianxcore
06-11-09, 07:58 PM
Nice article. Thanks Dullboy!

LickTheABCs
06-11-09, 11:34 PM
They can't put this out but they can put out the terrible doc they put on the 25th Anniversary edition?

Seriously, that doc was 90 minutes. 84 of them were scenes from the film.

BackStJoe
06-12-09, 08:08 AM
It's hard to believe no one has stepped forward with some cash for this project. This is a goldmine!

MTRodaba2468
06-12-09, 03:00 PM
That was an interesting read. I'm surprised that more people haven't come forward to help out (although Carpenter does seem willing to), you would think that this would be a goldmine for the rights owners...

islandclaws
06-12-09, 07:41 PM
It sounds like Malek is more concerned with helping Zombie continue to shit on the franchise than get crackin on giving this footage the care it needs. I hope with Carpenter on board things will get some more momentum.

Seantn
06-13-09, 12:21 AM
It sounds like Malek is more concerned with helping Zombie continue to shit on the franchise than get crackin on giving this footage the care it needs. I hope with Carpenter on board things will get some more momentum.

He's really just carrying on his father's tradition of shitting on the franchise (Halloween 5, 6, 8, for example)