Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw "Idlewild," loved it!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This movie has gotten pretty mixed reviews, but I thought it was exactly what I look for in a theater experience - different, clever, something totally unexpected. Surprisingly coherent story and acting, plus I loved the music. A great Sunday afternoon flick.
Old 08-29-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been listening to the album since last week, and I'm excited to see the movie. I especially like Andre 3000's stuff on the CD, so I'm eager to see his stuff on screen. Also, "Morris Brown" should be slammin' on the big screen.
Old 08-29-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to be the first to say that I didn't like it. The wife and I were looking forward to it and the movie just didn't deliver.

The character development was paper thin. The roles were too over the top. It was almost almost as if they were trying to hard to be "Southern." The dance scenes were the worst. They were borderline Breakdancing in this one! For a second there I thought I was watching an "ol' skoo" version of You Got Served directed by Michael Bay(because the director couldn't hold a shot for more than 5 secs)

The CG effects were nice in some parts but totally ruined some scenes. Some parts of the movie played like an MTV music vid. I'll give it a second spin on DVD but it just didn't do it for us on the big screen(for me atleast).

It gets points for style.

I liked the first half of the movie Life and the entire movie Harlem Nights better than Idlewild.
Old 08-30-06, 07:40 AM
Banned

I suspect that this is the kind of movie that will draw decidedly mixed reviews. it definitely taskes some liberties.
Old 08-30-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the reviews, though mixed, still piqued my interest so I'll probably check this out when it hits DVD.
Old 08-30-06, 01:45 PM

the music is so good, i have been listening to it for the past week since a co-woker got the album! the movie didn't really catch my attention until i heard all the music, so i may go watch it now?!
Old 09-03-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WOW. What a horrible movie. I like the album so I was hoping the movie would be just as good...not a chance. The music is hardly in the film (like 5 musical numbers, which are the ONLY highlight and equal like 20 minutes out of TWO+ HOURS). The story is incoherent. Characters come and go, VERY little happens and of course, the romance that has to crop up, mixed with some heavy handed final reel drama. The movie also seemed to go on forever...had this been an all out musical and taken advantage of the great Outkast music and worked it into the story instead of isolating it, making each musical sequence feel more like a MUSIC VIDEO instead of part of the story, it could have been good.

There is a reason this took so long to come to theatres, and it sure as shit wasn't just waiting for Outkast to come up with some of the music (because there is only 1 non-diegetic piece of music in it). So long, so boring and not nearly as compelling, fun or dramatic as it certainly could have been. 2 out of 5.

MATT
Old 09-04-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this today and thought it was good. Not great, but good. The story was rather routine but the way it was presented was pretty cool. All the weird things in the movie (the clocks above Percival's bed, the cartoon music sheets, the flask etc..) I liked, but I think they should have gone further. I was surprised by how much music in the film was from their last album "Speakerboxx/The Love Below", as opposed to the soundtrack for this. Overall, an entertaining way to spend 2 hours.
Old 10-04-06, 10:47 PM

Saw it a couple of weeks ago, loved it. I also have the cd & have listened to it often.