Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

New CG effects for Star Trek TOS? (merged)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New CG effects for Star Trek TOS? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 10:53 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New CG effects for Star Trek TOS?

Over at The Digital Bits there is a Rumor Mill article about how they are remastering Star Trek for HD, and that the effects are going to be redone using CG.
Old 08-29-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really, really REALLY hope this is some kind of joke.

Has anyone not learned a thing from Lucas?
Old 08-29-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe we should simply stop film technology in its tracks right now, before it completely destroys all our TV and movie memories.
Old 08-29-06, 11:11 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't be against it as long as the original versions are left intact and alongside.
Old 08-29-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The show might actually be watchable if they redid the effects so they didn't suck so much.
Old 08-29-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
They shouldn't mess around with them...the reason STAR TREK: TOS holds up so well is because of the STORIES & CHARACTERS, not because of the effects. The best sci-fi has always been about people, never about technology.
Old 08-29-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

back in the day, pre cgi people had a little thing called imagination. for its time and budget star trek had state of the art effects. they should leave them be as they are.
Old 08-29-06, 12:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm all for it. The original shows are readily available on DVD! This is a great move for two reasons:

First, it will open the door to a whole new generation of fans who think the effects are “cheesy.”
Second, the episode of DS9 where they had a CGI’d original Enterprise looked AMAZING.

Yes, I love the originals, and realize it’s the story that counts, but I’d love to see this happen, and will gladly double dip for it.
Old 08-29-06, 12:14 PM

They should do this with all old movies and tv shows. In fact, they should just stop making new films altogether until all of the old ones have been brought up to today's (obviously) high standards.
Old 08-29-06, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
Second, the episode of DS9 where they had a CGI’d original Enterprise looked AMAZING.
Actually, in DS9’s Trials and Tribble-ations,the Enterprise seen was a filming model built by Greg Jein.

However, in the Enterprise episodes In a Mirror Darkly, Parts I & II, the Constitution-class Defiant was indeed CGI.
Old 08-29-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Won't CGI effects shots make the costumes and sets look even worse? Star Trek had some decent effects, considering the extremely small budget, and they "fit in" with the rest of the story. This is just stupid.
Old 08-29-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it' gonna kill the nostalgic 60s feel, and the f/x will look out of place with the rest of the props, costumes, wacky hair, etc. let the classic be.
Old 08-29-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really care. My only hope is that the imminant HD releases of Trek will push the dvd prices further down so that I can actually afford them. Once I own them on dvd I won't replace them until the actual dvds wear out.
Old 08-29-06, 05:29 PM

They added some CG effects to Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Old 08-29-06, 06:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd like to see them redo TNG's effects more that TOS.
Old 08-29-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trek gets refurbished

http://trekmovie.com/2006/08/28/star...e-with-new-cgi

Original Star Trek Getting a CGI Makeover! August 28, 2006

Before JJ Abrams gets to bring the TOS era back to the big screen in Star Trek XI, CBS Paramount has a secret plan to get it back on the small screen, but with a makeover. Over a month ago it was announced that CBS was selling a new broadcast TV (not cable) syndication package for the original series. At the time it seemed a bit odd to try selling a 40 year old show to local TV stations, especially after it has just been sold to yet another cable outlet (this time TV Land…home of retro TV). The Trek Movie Report has now learned from trusted insiders, that CBS Paramount are actually offering an HDTV enhanced version of the Original Series with new state-of-the art CGI visual effects.

The ‘new’ Star Trek
Details are still being finalised, but according to sources, the bulk of shows will be as originally shot, with the new effects limited to the space sequences and the opening credits. In addition, TrekMovie.com has learned that some of the music is being redone (presumably for the opening title sequence). There are conflicting reports on exactly how many episodes are getting the ‘enhanced treatment’, but is possible that it is not all 79 original episodes. This also does not seem to be linked to the recent announcement for the Original Series to begin airing on TV Land in November, they will be showing the classic series in it’s original form. No word yet on if or when the enhanced series will be available on DVD, BluRay, or HD-DVD, but it appears that the newly enhanced shows will first appear in broadcast syndication this fall (so check local listings!). So far the Trek Movie Report has not been able to get an official comment from CBS Paramount, but TMR hears that an announcement from them will be coming very soon.

Not totally new for Trek
Of course the most recent Trek show Star Trek: Enterprise was done entirely with CGI effects. This included creating a CGI version of the Starship Defiant from the TOS era for the ‘In a Mirror Darkly’ arc, as well as a brief shot of Kirk’s Enterprise for the series finale. Paramount also recently re-issued a ‘Director’s Edition’ of Star Trek: The Motion Picture with a number of redone and new CGI effects. And Trek is far from alone, George Lucas it seems can’t stop himself from tinkering with his classic Star Wars films, he has done it so often that this year he is issuing DVDs of the films in their original form. Although TMR did not learn who is doing the work, apparently it isn’t EdenFX (who did the visual effects for Enterprise seen above and below). If the ‘new TOS’ is a success, then perhaps we will see the same thing done with Star Trek: The Next Generation which has a 20th Anniversary coming up soon.

DEMO

(NOT SURE IF IT IS FOR REAL OR NOT)

I think it's great. The space effects on Star Trek always looked crappy. I think the weakest part of the show.

Last edited by Mopower; 08-29-06 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paramount does it again. Selling it's soul for Trek.
Old 08-29-06, 10:17 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

What I'm more interested in than the FX is the aspect ratio. How do they take a show filmed in 4X3 and turn it to 16X9. Are there original masters with more on the sides? I hope they aren't going to crop the top and bottom, then we're just losing out.
Old 08-30-06, 02:17 AM

*sigh*

More totally unnecessary changes.
Old 08-30-06, 05:14 AM

yup
Old 08-30-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. I would expect the episodes will be the syndicated versions and not the full ones. That way, when the uncut HDDVD/BluRay versions come out, they have yet another carrot to entice us with.

Edit: Here's some interesting information on this from DigitalBits

Now then... this next story will definitely pique the interest of anyone who loves Star Trek. This past weekend, I had the pleasure of participating in Mark Altman's panel discussion at World-Con in Anaheim (sponsored by CFQ magazine), where we discussed the future of the Star Trek franchise. One of the things that came up is the eventual release of Trek titles in high-definition.

I've posted here on The Bits before that Star Trek: The Original Series (which was shot and finalized on film) is currently being given new high-def transfers by CBS for future HD syndication, as well as eventual release in the new HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats (click this link and slide down a few paragraphs for that story). Enterprise was shot on film also (for its first three seasons) and HD too (for the fourth season), and it was post-produced in HD from the beginning, so it's ready to go now. We also know that all of the feature films are being remastered for HD release. And Star Trek: The Animated Series was recently remastered in high-def (from the original film elements) for its upcoming DVD release.

Now... going into the panel this weekend, I was wondering about The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. All three of those shows were post-produced and edited in 4x3, standard definition video... but the episodes were all shot on film. CBS could, in theory, go back to the original film elements for those episodes, re-transfer them all in high-definition and re-do all of the special effects with new CGI at high-def resolution. The result would be rebuilt HD versions of the episodes. All that would be required is the will to do it and the money to get it done right. This possibility was discussed during the panel.

So here's where it gets even more interesting. In doing some digging with our industry sources over the last few days... I've found out something that's going to come as a major surprise to a lot of you. It might be one of the best kept secrets in Hollywood in recent years. Never mind The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager: It turns out that CBS Video, as part of their high-definition remastering of The Original Series, IS giving a lot of the special effects shots a new CG face-lift! Specifically, they're re-doing all of the spaceship shots. This to me is a very exciting idea... in principle. As anyone who saw the Mirror Universe episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise will tell you, the old TOS ships look awfully damn good in new CG. The replicated TOS sets, the original ship designs... rather than looking dated, they actually hold up VERY well by today's standards. Re-doing the effects will give new life to The Original Series and could help it appeal to a new, younger generation of fans. Unlike, say... the Star Wars films... the original versions of these episodes will always be preserved in GREAT remastered quality on DVD. And it would be extremely cool if CBS would release BOTH versions of the episodes on HD-DVD/Blu-ray, such that you can choose which version you wish to watch... the original or the new enhanced version.

Here's my concern about this... I've learned that, rather than going with a proven effects house, CBS has chosen to do the new CG work in-house. One hopes that they've got someone with REAL Trek effects experience and knowledge involved in the effort... and they they're taking care to preserve the look and feel of the original shots. There's also the concern over whether CBS will re-frame the 1.33:1 aspect ratio series in 1.78:1 for HD presentation. I tried contacting CBS and their DVD distributor, Paramount, on this subject last week, but there was basically no comment. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but cross your fingers in the meantime. Any way you slice it, however, this is a very interesting development. By the way, if anyone at CBS and Paramount DOES want to discuss this issue now... you know where to find me.

Last edited by Chew; 08-30-06 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 08:45 AM

Old 08-30-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
They shouldn't mess around with them...the reason STAR TREK: TOS holds up so well is because of the STORIES & CHARACTERS, not because of the effects. The best sci-fi has always been about people, never about technology.
But, with that in mind, how could improving the effects hurt the end product? They're not going to be CGIing the story or the characters.

I'd be curious to see what they do, but I'd hope that somebody who's really good with CGI would get involved. Get somebody like Brian Singer (I pick him because he's said to be a Trekkie).
Old 08-30-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ken_572002
They added some CG effects to Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
That's a good point, and the new version of ST:TMP is infinitely better than the original. Sometimes, CG can help. But it's also important to point out that TMP was unfinished when it was released, unlike the series.

To me, the effects in TNG are more noticeable than the ones in TOS.
Old 08-30-06, 10:47 AM

In ten year's time the cgi would look dated anyway. So what's the point?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.