Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dragon*Con 2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dragon*Con 2006

Every year I wonder where to start the Dragon*Con thread, and every year I figure that the guests list is mainly from TV (current and past), so I start it here. I think it'd get lost in Otter Land pretty quickly too, but if it gets moved there, it gets moved there.

Here's the main Dragon*Con webpage that has the guests list on the front page.

Any other DVDTalkers besides das and I coming down to Hotlanta for Dragon Con this coming weekend, Sept. 1-4?

The Mythbusters contingent (Kari, Grant and Tori) should have a good panel (I can't imagine them not having a panel with all 3 in attendance).

The Firefly/Serenity contingent feature Alan Tudyk, Adam Baldwin and Summer Glau.

Mira Furlan will get a little more love since she's Rousseau on "Lost" now, but she's got some of her B5 pals too, like Stephen Furst, Jason Carter, and Peter Jurasik. Julie Caitlin Brown is on Guest Booth PDF, so maybe she and Dragon*Con made up after all these years.

Other shows:
Buffy/Angel - Nicholas Brendon, James Leary and Andy Hallet
Batman - Yvonne Craig and Lee Meriwether
Dead Like Me - Ellen Muth
Star Trek - George Takei, Tony Todd and Denise Crosby
Happy Days - Donnie Most, Anson Williams, and Erin Moran
Stargate - Christopher Judge, Rachel Luttrell, Steve Bacic, Cliff Simon

Eye Candy - Traci Lords and Brandy Ledford

Anyhow, it's a 24/7 convention, and a lot of fun if you are into any of the 30+ programming tracks.

Don't forget to bring your camera!

Last edited by Patman; 08-28-06 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-28-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patman

Eye Candy - Traci Lords and Brandy Ledford
Watch it, now! Brandy Ledford is a serious actress ... a seriously smokin' hot actress.

das
Old 08-28-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would so love to go for the Firefly group, but Atlanta is so far away.
Old 08-28-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I'll be there! 501st represent! Sadly, I've decided not to bring Ming this year. Kari Byron
Old 08-28-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No Ming? How will I identify you?

Been perusing the schedule (now downloadable at the D*C website), and it looks to be a Mythbusting good time, they are getting a lot of love, but they put them in the smaller Centennial I room on Friday, but they get the bigger Centennial II-III for the rest of the convention.

Last edited by Patman; 08-28-06 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Donnie most and anson williams? how can this be missed?
seriously, if i went, they would be the first autographs i would buy/stand in line for.
Old 08-28-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveNinja
seriously, if i went, they would be the first autographs i would buy/stand in line for.
Oh c'mon now? No one taking a picture with Joannie and holding up a sign saying MORAN? That would be so classic.
Old 08-28-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja

You would have to sing the pump your blood song at Anson just to show how geeky you really are.
Old 08-28-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
No Ming? How will I identify you?
I'll be the guy in the Stormtrooper armor.
Old 08-28-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That helps!

This just in: Adam Baldwin had to cancel his appearance due to a professional commitment. Grr...

Katie Leung cancelled earlier, so I have no idea how many of the Harry Potter contingent will be there now, beside the guy who plays Crum.
Old 08-31-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sort of last minute, but just found out that I'll be there from Sat-Mon.

Looking forward to taking in the spectacle of it all and taking lots of photographs. I'll be in the Marriott.
Old 08-31-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
Katie Leung cancelled earlier, so I have no idea how many of the Harry Potter contingent will be there now, beside the guy who plays Crum.
Ah, I forgot about the guy who plays Neville, he'll be at Dragon*Con with Crum (it would have been a nice panel if Katie could have made it), but aren't they still filming the next Harry Potter.
Old 08-31-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, last minute I decided to NOT bring any costumes at all and just do panels/drink/leer at the vinyl-clad hotties. I'd be up for a DC Otter Mini-Meat. Many of us hang out at the Hyatt bar when not doing something else, so that might be a good place to rendezvous. Here's a pic of me and Kahuna415 (I'm the Shrek-lookin' goober on the left). If you see us, say hi.

Old 08-31-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Long live the glorious Hyatt bar.

das
Old 08-31-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I shall say "Hi" should the opportunity present itself!
Old 08-31-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome, I'll keep an eye for you guys at the bar there.

Here's a photo of my girlfriend and I:

I'll make a point of wearing the same Guinness shirt on Saturday, no promises on the hawaiian shirt though. Besides, that'd make me drown in a sea of fat guys in hawaiian shirts at Dragon*Con.
Old 09-02-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I managed to take 1200 photos today, and it's just day 1! (I don't think I'll be taking as many for the next couple of days, but it's just such a target-rich environment). I'm tired.
Old 09-02-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, tired is the word. closed the Hyatt bar. Mmmmm... alcohol. g'nite.
Old 09-02-06, 01:51 AM

Why yes we did. What a fabulous, fantastic night. We have a killer time with AGuyNameMike and our posse. And its only Friday.....

btw We have been holding nightly the main table as you walk into the bar on the main entrance. Come join us if you get the chance.
Old 09-02-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Is the Dragon*Con website ( http://www.dragoncon.org ) down? I haven't been able to get to it at all today.
Old 09-03-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did swing by the bar tonight after the Dawn Look-alike contest, but didn't see Mike or Kahuna, but did see this guy doing quick portraits for gals at the Hyatt bar, and they were pretty excited by the artwork.

It seemed less busy tonight in the Hyatt after the contest. There was a semi-long line for Shindig for Firefly/Serenity fans, and the space was far too small for the number of fans that wanted to check it out. Went later near midnight, and the line was gone, but there was plenty of Browncoats in the shindig.

So many overlapping panels of interest was the order for the day. That is going to be big negative on this year's scheduling. I still managed to time-share many of the panels of interest to me by bouncing around the Hyatt, but it was nowhere near ideal.

The Browncoats continues to show up in large numbers, prompting Dragon Con to clear the rooms before each Firefly/Serenity panel so that those who waited in the long lines get good seats near the front.

The Marriott was pretty crowded during the afternoon. We didn't check out the Marriott after the Dawn contest, just headed home after the Shindig.

The Walk of Fame being in the Hilton is a colossal chore to get to, and the flow pattern was also a nightmare of funnelling the traffic through the middle aisles twice to get to both of the outer aisles of guests. There was too little room in the middle between the booths, so it was very congested and just a pain to slog through this year.

Took a large number of photos once again tonight.

Last edited by Patman; 09-03-06 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-03-06, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw poop, Patman, we were there from 8pm to closing. This time our table was centered directly in front of the bar. Tomorrow night I will wear one of my photon lights on my lanyard set to rapid flash, maybe green or blue. Yeah, there did seem to be several planning faux pas this year. A bright note was the Mythbusters panel. Kari and Grant were still en route due to plane problems, so Tori had to panel solo. He did a great job and kept the room entertained and interested with his anecdotes. Time to catch some Zs.
Old 09-04-06, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Say Patman, it was nice to finally meet you. Sorry I wasn't very "up", but I reckon we were both pretty tired by then. It's been a pleasant con, with the typical ups and downs (man, was that Masquerade weak or what?), and I'll be counting the days to next year. BTW, the New Voyages guys gave a great panel, and the sincere love for what they're doing really came through.
Old 09-04-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey Mike! Finally did catch up with him at the bar towards the end of the evening. Lots more walking around this year.

Checked out a handful of panels on Sunday:

Buffy/Angel - can't believe it's been 3-4 years since Buffy went off the air. Still a good panel, with Nicholas Brendon heading it up, and flanked by Clare Kramer, James Leary, Anthony Cistaro, and Ken Feinberg, and then finally Andy Hallet.

Mythbusters - finally the gang is all there (Grant, Tory, Kari) after the plane for Grant and Kari suffered some mechanical troubles and a few people onboard raised an eyebrow in their direction. They showed a funny reel of Kari being wired up to capture flatuence from a female. Then they showed Adam lighting up farts and examining the slow-motion flames that emanated from his arse when he lit them. Very funny stuff, have a good time at their panel.

Serenity/Firefly - Alan Tudyk and Summer Glau continued their lovefest with the Browncoats. The lady who wrote the winning Eulogy for the Wake (for Wash and Book) got Alan to read the eulogy to the audience (especially since the Wake was in a very small room on Saturday night and not a lot of people were able to hear it, and Alan did embellish with some timely "sexy, sexy, sexy" adjectives thrown in for Wash. They had the longest autographs lines at Dragon Con this year.

Mira Furlan - stayed for about half the panel, which focused on her new role as Rousseau on "Lost". She's got a groovy accent (which helped her get cast for the role, as well).

Mickey Rooney - bopped for about 2 minutes.

Stargate - Also checked out this panel just for the sheer size of the 9 cast members from the show in the panel, a few of whom I probably won't get their names right (Erick Avari, Rachel Luttrell, Don S. Davis, Bill Dow, Cliff Simon, Claire Rankin, Torri Higginson, and 2 others whose name escapes me).

Also checked out the Miss Klingon Empire Beauty Pageant, but didn't stay long, and some robot wars in one room.

I was meandering in the Hyatt atrium area before the Masquerade and by the time I made it down to the Masquerade, the main room was filled, so I checked out the overflow room with the video feed, and was astounded by the so-so entries at the Masquerade this year, so much so that I'm sure I dozed off because one of my friends showed me some of his photos from the photo session afterwards, and I did not remember some of the contestants from the photos. But sounds like I wasn't missing much after seeing a bunch of folks staging mock fights. The stormtroopers were good about moving the show along when the acts went on too long.

The rest of the day was spent doing a bit of window-shopping in the dealer's room, walking through the mess called the Walk of Fame, and taking an obscene amounts of photos in their costumes in the Hyatt (3 levels), and the Marriott (2 levels). Left there after 2 a.m., which was late for us, but it was the last night. Whew!

Last edited by Patman; 09-04-06 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-05-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sleeeepy, so sleeeeeeeeepy ...

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.