DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Blu-Ray & HD-DVD covers

Old 08-25-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu-Ray & HD-DVD covers

Anybody else find the new Blu-Ray & HD-DVD covers with the artwork obscured behind the curved arch thing annoying as hell? It looks like some marketing moron's bad attempt to push the formats with "in-your-face" type package designs that display the format more than the film. I hope they drop that soon.
Old 08-25-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, pretty damn ugly I think. Hopefully by the time I jump on that wagon the cases will ease down on the crappy design. Too much logo and not enough cover art.
Old 08-26-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Anyone doing custom covers for these cases yet?
Old 08-26-06, 05:32 PM

I had a planned to create a site for custom covers for the new format, but didn't go through with it (as I haven't upgraded to HD-DVD yet and thus don't know the exact dimensions and such).

Supposedly, a few of the usual custom sites will be including next-gen covers in the coming weeks/months, but I haven't talked to any 'well-known' custom cover artists who have picked up on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray yet, so I imagine the best you would get would be the ability to replace junk with junk. Of course if someone wants to send me a free HD-DVD case (with a disc included, perhaps? ), I'd be happy to make up a few studio-based templates for easy high-quality cut and paste poster-based covers, along with making a few non-cut-and-paste covers of my own.

DVDs started in everything from jewel cases to snappers, so I imagine that by next year these new formats will have the designs better in place... Warner already has discs not using those banners, so imagine they'll start fading away elsewhere pretty quickly.
Old 08-27-06, 10:46 AM

They're kinda like game covers with the bar on top. Ehh, whatever is what I say...
Old 08-27-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bunnydojo
Of course if someone wants to send me a free HD-DVD case (with a disc included, perhaps? ), I'd be happy to make up a few studio-based templates for easy high-quality cut and paste poster-based covers, along with making a few non-cut-and-paste covers of my own.
Bunny, I'll be glad to send you a free Blu-ray if it helps, but don't expect a very good movie.

The Blu-ray and HD DVD case and insert dimensions are the same.
Old 08-30-06, 07:07 PM

If someone would be willing to send me an unaltered 300dpi scan of a HD-DVD and/or blu-ray cover, I'd be more than willing to put out a few studio-based templates. The fact that I am in the dark about exact dimensions is the only thing holding RTC (the Den) from hosting customs and/or scans for the new formats.
Old 08-30-06, 09:44 PM

@ Dagon, Josh has been nice enough to offer to send me a Blu-Ray case, so I should get that in a few days or a week and I'll work out the dimensions and let you know when I have something concrete.

And thanks again to Josh for the offer.
Old 09-01-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm just thinking about the inevitable can of worms that will be opened when the well-known artists start banging out HD-DVD/Blu-ray customs. Every one that goes up someplace is gonna be accompanied by a lot of "can you make a standard DVD version too?" requests. And I'll be right at the front of that request line, since I'm not planning to upgrade any time soon. Format changes are as frustrating as they are exciting.
Old 09-02-06, 03:27 PM

@joliom, I can understand what you mean. It's inevitable that once the hobby completely includes HD-DVD and Blu-Ray that it will be as you said. For my part, after I've gained knowledge of reliable dimensions, I'll be doing HD-DVD covers for covers I've already done (The Last Samurai, Terminator 3, etc.). Most likely, also, any future covers I do will be for both (DVD and HD-DVD)....