Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nine, Ten Freddy's Back Again

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Original 'Nightmare' To Return To Theaters -- For Two Days

In advance of its release on DVD, Wes Craven's original Freddy Krueger horror flick A Nightmare on Elm Street will be shown in 124 theaters across the country for two days only, Sept. 20 and 21, New Line announced Wednesday. In addition to the digitally remastered film, the theaters will be showing a reel of "Freddy's Best Kills," from seven Krueger sequels -- a reel, said New Line studios, "that can be seen only in theaters during this special event." Tickets are being sold online by www.BigScreenBoxOffice.com for $10.00.
But dammit, it's not playing in Savannah (where I go to college) and that pisses me off.
Old 08-25-06, 01:25 AM
Banned

It is showing in 2 different theaters in the Nashville area. Thank you for the heads up.
Old 08-25-06, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Lemme guess which co-starring actor's face they're gonna enlarge on the new poster!
Old 08-25-06, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's guess the deaths that will be included. I'm betting:

1. Tina - slashed to death
1. Glen - dragged into bed and liquidized
3. Philip - transformed into a marionette
4. Debbie - transformed into a giant cockroach and crushed in a Roach Motel (you KNOW that's guranteed)
5. Greta - stuffed and choked
6. Carlos - mutant hearing aid blows his head up
Old 08-25-06, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
It is showing in 2 different theaters in the Nashville area. Thank you for the heads up.
saw a poster up at the hollywood 27 over the weekend when watching snakes on a plane...i'll be seeing it for sure
Old 08-25-06, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Not playing anywhere near me.
Old 08-25-06, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This news is just so so so cool!
Old 08-25-06, 09:27 AM

The title of the thread can be taken out of context. I did think I was going to open this to find news of a new film.

Also, my eyes are wacky. At first I thought it said tickets going for $10,000. Then I was like huh? ha.

Im tired. Have to go to bed before I cause anymore damage.
Old 08-25-06, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
saw a poster up at the hollywood 27 over the weekend when watching snakes on a plane...i'll be seeing it for sure
I guess it will be sowing in at least 3 theaters in Nashville then. Bigscreenboxoffice.com lists only Green Hills and Opry Land theaters. Hollywood 27 would be better for me since it is closer. Still a 40 minute drive up the interstate, but worth it.

Would like to get my hands on one of those posters.
Old 08-29-06, 08:13 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Anyone have a link to what the poster looks like?

Definitely going to check this out myself!
Old 08-29-06, 08:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so is this a 35mm release or Digital projection?
Old 08-30-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Lemme guess which co-starring actor's face they're gonna enlarge on the new poster!
Don't you hate when they do that?

Satisfaction starring JULIA ROBERTS!

Revenge of the Nerds starring JOHN GOODMAN!

The Juror starring JAMES GANDOLFINI!
Old 09-05-06, 04:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Let's guess the deaths that will be included.
Depends on if they're going for the deaths themselves (as in the most gory or creative) or if they're going for overall entertainment value and perhaps picking the ones with the best catchphrases. I'm thinking Jennifer's "Welcome to prime time, bitch!" and Joey's "How's this for a wet dream?" might make it just for the audience fun factor. Both of those scenes got huge reactions when I saw them originally in the theaters.

Also, this line:
the theaters will be showing a reel of "Freddy's Best Kills," from seven Krueger sequels
seems to indicate the scenes will only be pulled from the sequels. Also the seven may just be referring to the number of sequels it's pulling scenes from and not just the number of kills, so maybe they'll have a LOT of kills in there. Too bad I won't be able to see it as the nearest showing is 437 miles form me, until it makes it on some DVD release.
Old 09-05-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
so is this a 35mm release or Digital projection?
I'm hoping for 35mm, especially since Regal's last big screen event was projected in film (The Descent).
Old 09-05-06, 10:38 PM

Too bad this isn't playing in my area. I was able to watch Nightmare in a second-run theater back in the mid 90s, and it was kind of fun.
Old 09-06-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very cool. It's playing in three theaters near me. My son has never seen the original so this is a perfect time for some father/son bonding. I will order my tickets tonight.
Old 09-07-06, 10:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Can I just say that I think Regal is really really stupid for not showing this at downtown DC's Gallery Place location.
Old 09-17-06, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome, it's showing at my local Cinemark.
Old 09-17-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will be attending one of the shows here in Charlotte.
Old 09-19-06, 09:43 PM
Cool New Member

I'm glad SOMEBODY'S going

I've looked all over the internet, and there doesn't seem to be any interest in this at all. Anywhere.

I was saddened by that.

I know this is a re-release and all, but I feel like I'll be the only one there if I go!!

Am I crazy for wanting to see this, even though I have the DVD at home?
Old 09-20-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I called my closest theater (Lincolnshire, IL... Chicago area) and they said it would be digital projection.

Deputy Dave... I hear ya about the "bonding". My daughter is only two, but we watch The Munsters together and she loves Herman. I wish she was old enough to bring to this. One day....
Old 09-21-06, 12:39 AM
Cool New Member

Okay, I came, I saw, I conquered

Well I was at the showing at the UA in La Canada, CA and there were only about 25 people there.

They put it in one of the largest theaters, too, so I can't help but think they were expecting a bigger turnout.

Maybe 'cause it's midweek?

The film itself is rather dated. When I watched it at home it's scary in parts, but the mostly teen audience laughed at the bad acting, dialogue and campy 80's stuff.

I couldn't really blame them, I guess. But it ruined any "scary" vibe to the whole thing.

The other thing that bothered me was that the sound seemed to be coming from the front only (no surround whatsoever) and the black levels seemed off (couldn't make out any detail in the dark.) Was this just my theater or did anyone else have the same issue?

-sc
Old 09-21-06, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by sychosteve
The other thing that bothered me was that the sound seemed to be coming from the front only (no surround whatsoever) and the black levels seemed off (couldn't make out any detail in the dark.) Was this just my theater or did anyone else have the same issue?

-sc
I'm feelin' you there. Nightmare is already a dark flick, but nothing is supposed to be dark to the point of being unrecognizable with virtually no contrast. Hell, during the 'Freddy's best kills' montage, the skeleton-attack scene from NOES 3 was nothing but a black/grey screen with a soundtrack. I'm hoping it was just the ignorance of whoever set the projector brightness, but it was truly bad.

The print itself seemed new, very clean, and even reframed in the scene where Freddy falls on the stairs after the sledgehammer hit. Before, a mattress was painfully visible on the fall, but here, it was completely framed out. I also noticed, aside from the very lackluster soundtrack that seemed to be mono, that a few of the original sound fx and cues were missing and at least one was added in. I wonder if the new DVD will have these?
Old 09-21-06, 03:00 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by n1ghtmare
Hell, during the 'Freddy's best kills' montage, the skeleton-attack scene from NOES 3 was nothing but a black/grey screen with a soundtrack. I'm hoping it was just the ignorance of whoever set the projector brightness, but it was truly bad.

Glad to know (or I guess, not) that it wasn't just my theater.

And I thought the point of all this fancy schmancy remastering was supposed to give us added 5.1 audio, but you're right, that soundtrack had to be mono. Bummer.

-sc
Old 09-21-06, 05:44 PM
Cool New Member

My friend and I went last night, and we both were extremely pissed to learn that we had paid 10 dollars to watch a DVD projection that was horribly cropped and looked like utter crap. Needless to say I am very dissapointed that they couldn't provide a 35mm print.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.