DVD Talk
What's the best (most effective) way to remove "ring around the collar" on shirts?? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What's the best (most effective) way to remove "ring around the collar" on shirts??

Double Down
08-22-06, 10:39 AM
Last week the air conditioning went out in our office building and it was blazingly hot. As a result, I now have "ring around the collar" on several of my dress shirts. I tried soaking the shirts in laundry detergent overnight prior to washing, but the stains did not come out. I did a Google search for "ring around the collar" and read various tips ranging from scrubbing shampoo into the collar to using lanolin based hand soap. However, I'm not sure which site to trust. Therefore, I'm hoping someone in Otterville has actually had success with getting rid of stubborn ring around the collar and can enlighten me on how to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

orangerory
08-22-06, 10:56 AM
Looking for something witty to say but this may actually help...

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Stubborn-Ring-Around-the-Collar

How to Remove Stubborn Ring Around the Collar
Everyone tends to scrub a stain that is set-in on the garment. Do not do this! It causes separation of the material, and the collar will not lay the way it is supposed to.

Steps
Go to your local hardware or automotive store and purchase a container of any lanolin hand cleaner (the kind that mechanics use to clean their hands after handling oily engine parts). The one I use is called Lan-Lin, pumice hand cleaner (GUNK).
Apply the hand cleaner to the stain or ring.
Let it sit on the collar for a few minutes.
Wash as usual. There you go! No ring around the collar!

Tips
Remember never to dry a set-in stain in the dryer. The dryer will embed the stain into the fabric and removal can be impossible. Always start with the hand cleaner first, and use the dryer last.

Double Down
08-22-06, 10:58 AM
^ Yeah, that was the "lanolin based hand soap" idea that I referenced above. I was hoping for a solution that an Otter had successfully used.

chente
08-22-06, 11:37 AM
Dry Cleaner. They are trained professionals in this kind of stuff.

Kittydreamer
08-22-06, 11:41 AM
Give the shirt to your bitch and let her worry about it.

Pistol Pete
08-22-06, 12:14 PM
Get married.

majorjoe23
08-22-06, 12:54 PM
Wash your neck.

Minor Threat
08-22-06, 12:57 PM
Buy a new shirt cheap-ass.....

-wink-

Double Down
08-22-06, 12:58 PM
It's amazing. Sometimes when you post here, you get tons of thoughtful and helpful responses. Other times you post here in you get comments like "wash your neck." As if "washing my neck" will somehow prevent me from sweating while wearing a long sleeve shirt and tie in an office without air conditioning when it's likely 95+ degrees in here.

Minor Threat
08-22-06, 12:59 PM
Get a job somewhere that has reliable air conditioning.....

majorjoe23
08-22-06, 01:07 PM
While my answer was intended to be smartass, it wasn't exactly worthless. Bring a washcloth to the office. Throughout the day, take some bathroom breaks and run a cool, wet washcloth over your neck.

Or just wear t-shirts until they fix the air conditioner. The air conditioner has gone out in my office and the dress code was lifted until it was fixed.

RunBandoRun
08-22-06, 01:18 PM
WISK around the collar beats ring around the collar every time.

Or so I'm told. :D

Minor Threat
08-22-06, 01:22 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq6tkFPIf4Y" target="_blank">RING AROUND THE COLLAR</a>

Palaver
08-22-06, 07:56 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq6tkFPIf4Y" target="_blank">RING AROUND THE COLLAR</a>

I came into this thread soley on the hope that someone would post this :up:

Lateralus
08-22-06, 08:00 PM
Most people have a brown nose, but when you have ring around the collar that's a whole new level of commitment!

Buford T Pusser
08-22-06, 11:55 PM
http://www.left-handed.com/acatalog/new-left-handed-8-inch-tailors-scissors-small.jpg

Mrs. Danger
08-23-06, 09:32 AM
The lanolin stuff usually works. If it doesn't you have weird sweat.

escoffier
02-10-10, 08:30 AM
i own a tuxedo rental company and i know the correct answer!!!!! its a product called iron out available at home depot or lowes sometimes walmart anyways its a grainular powder you just add to your laundry cycle but the trick is to deluite it first in cold tap water just follow the instructions on the bottle but disolve it first. run laundry cycle as normal and whalaaa all gone hope this helps

Dr Mabuse
02-10-10, 08:36 AM
You were just in time with that info too!

Mrs. Danger
02-10-10, 08:36 AM
Hello, new person. Why not introduce yourself in a fresh thread?

Meglos
02-10-10, 08:54 AM
Scissors.

Hokeyboy
02-10-10, 10:22 AM
I feel like its 1974 all over again. :confused:

The Eliminator
02-10-10, 10:35 AM
Vinegar works every time. Let it soak overnight then wash with vinegar too.

dork
02-10-10, 11:04 AM
Sometimes when you post here, you get tons of thoughtful and helpful responses.
Link?