Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turner Broadcasting to cut smoking scenes from classic cartoons

'Tom & Jerry' Smoking Scenes to Be Cut
By Mike Collett-White
Reuters
LONDON (Aug. 21) - Turner Broadcasting is scouring more than 1,500 classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, including old favorites Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones and Scooby-Doo, to edit out scenes that glamorize smoking.
The review was triggered by a complaint to British media regulator Ofcom by one viewer who took offense to two episodes of Tom and Jerry shown on the Boomerang channel, a corporate sibling of Time Warner Inc.-owned Turner Broadcasting.

"We are going through the entire catalog," Yinka Akindele, spokeswoman for Turner in Europe, said on Monday.

"This is a voluntary step we've taken in light of the changing times," she said, adding the painstaking review had been prompted by the Ofcom complaint.

The regulator's latest news bulletin stated that a viewer, who was not identified, had complained about two smoking scenes on Tom and Jerry, saying they "were not appropriate in a cartoon aimed at children."

In the first, "Texas Tom," the hapless cat Tom tries to impress a feline female by rolling a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it with one hand. In the second, "Tennis Chumps," Tom's opponent in a match smokes a large cigar.

"The licensee has ... proposed editing any scenes or references in the series where smoking appeared to be condoned, acceptable, glamorized or where it might encourage imitation," Ofcom said, adding that "Texas Tom" was one such example.

Akindele said cartoons would only be modified "where smoking could be deemed to be cool or glamorized," and that scenes where a villain was featured with a cigarette or cigar would not necessarily be cut.

"These are historic cartoons, they were made well over 50 years ago in a different time and different place," she added. "Our audience is children and we don't want to be irresponsible."

Turner Broadcasting in the United States could not immediately be reached for comment.

Ofcom said it recognized smoking was more generally accepted when cartoons were produced in the 1940s, '50s and '60s, but argued that the threshold for including such scenes when the audience was predominately young should be high.

About 56 percent of Boomerang's audience is aged four to 14 years old.

Early reaction to the review on Web logs broadly attacked Turner's decision.

"Have to dig out all those photos and films of (Winston) Churchill and airbrush out the cigars," said a message posted on the "Organ Grinder" forum on the Guardian newspaper's Web site.

The review was not the first time a famous cartoon character was forced to give up smoking.

Belgian cartoonist Maurice de Bevere replaced his most popular creation Lucky Luke's ubiquitous cigarette with a blade of grass, winning him an award from the World Health Organization in 1988.
http://news.aol.com/entertainment/tv...21120909990001

Here we go again with more politically correct bs censoring. Next, they are going to change the way Porky Pig speaks because some stuterrer is going to complain. And then Dumbo will learn to fly by magic, not by getting drunk.
Old 08-21-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I relate this to be the same bullshit as colorizing classic movies, if not worse.
Old 08-21-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Fantastic. There is way too much smoking and blasphemy in cartoons.

-Cameron Spencer Osborne
Old 08-21-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't they change the black housekeeper from Tom and Jerry into an Irish one a few years back? Yeah, let's not offend blacks, but the Irish are fair game.
Old 08-21-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm all for keeping cigs out of kid's mouths, but this shit needs to stop.
Old 08-22-06, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by LasVegasMichael
I relate this to be the same bullshit as colorizing classic movies, if not worse.
Colorizing is not even close to this shit.

Next step: Ban all Roadrunner cartoons!!!

Grab 'em while you can...
Old 08-22-06, 08:12 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Turner to ax smoking scenes from cartoons

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14452732/?GT1=8404

Turner to ax smoking scenes from cartoons
Cable network to remove decades-old sequences after viewer complaint

LONDON - Turner Broadcasting is scouring more than 1,500 classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, including old favorites Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones and Scooby-Doo, to edit out scenes that glamorize smoking.

The review was triggered by a complaint to British media regulator Ofcom by one viewer who took offence to two episodes of Tom and Jerry shown on the Boomerang channel, part of Turner Broadcasting which itself belongs to Time Warner Inc.

“We are going through the entire catalogue,” Yinka Akindele, spokeswoman for Turner in Europe, said on Monday.

“This is a voluntary step we’ve taken in light of the changing times,” she said, adding the painstaking review had been prompted by the Ofcom complaint.

The regulator’s latest news bulletin stated that a viewer, who was not identified, had complained about two smoking scenes on Tom and Jerry, saying they “were not appropriate in a cartoon aimed at children.”

In the first, “Texas Tom”, the hapless cat Tom tries to impress a feline female by rolling a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it with one hand. In the second, “Tennis Chumps”, Tom’s opponent in a match smokes a large cigar.

“The licensee has ... proposed editing any scenes or references in the series where smoking appeared to be condoned, acceptable, glamorized or where it might encourage imitation,” Ofcom said, adding that “Texas Tom” was one such example.

Akindele said cartoons would only be modified “where smoking could be deemed to be cool or glamorized”, and that scenes where a villain was featured with a cigarette or cigar would not necessarily be cut.

“These are historic cartoons, they were made well over 50 years ago in a different time and different place,” she added. “Our audience is children and we don’t want to be irresponsible.”

Turner Broadcasting could not immediately be reached for comment.

Ofcom said it recognized smoking was more generally accepted when cartoons were produced in the 1940s, ’50s and ’60s, but argued that the threshold for including such scenes when the audience was predominately young should be high.

About 56 percent of Boomerang’s audience is aged four to 14 years old.

Early reaction to the review on Web logs broadly attacked Turner’s decision.

“Have to dig out all those photos and films of (Winston) Churchill and airbrush out the cigars,” said a message posted on the “Organ Grinder” forum on the Guardian newspaper’s Web site.

The review was not the first time a famous cartoon character was forced to give up smoking.

Belgian cartoonist Maurice de Bevere replaced his most popular creation Lucky Luke’s ubiquitous cigarette with a blade of grass, winning him an award from the World Health Organization in 1988.
I never thought of it as glamorizing in any way.

This is sad.
Old 08-22-06, 08:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Definitely not the first sign of doctoring photos/images by the anti-smoking movement.

In 1999, the post office released a stamp of Jackson Pollock. The most famous image of him was from Life magazine and it showed him smoking a cigarette. The post office used the photo but digitally removed the cigarette.

Disney is also a culprit of this. In their re-release of the 1948 film Melody Time they removed a cigarette from the character Pecos Bill (instead of a cigarette in his mouth, it now shows a gun by his mouth!)

Further examples of totalitarianism.

Sad indeed.
Old 08-22-06, 08:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This just in: from now on when any Turner network airs the Jim Carrey film The Mask, his new catch phrase will be "BRRRRRRRRRREATHIN'!"
Old 08-22-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The following scenes should also be removed from children's programming:

Bugs Bunny tranvestitism
Porky Pig's stuttering
Daffy Duck's fits of anger
Tasmanian Devil's hyperactivity
Ogee trying to cross-breed with Magilla Gorilla
Cookie Monster's eating binges - EDIT: DONE!
Lady Elaine Fairchild's lesbianism

Won't someone please think of the children?
Old 08-22-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
This just in: from now on when any Turner network airs the Jim Carrey film The Mask, his new catch phrase will be "BRRRRRRRRRREATHIN'!"
Old 08-22-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I just missed the cut-off point for children being turned into complete and total pussies.
Old 08-22-06, 02:59 PM

Stupidest thing ever. erase smoking scenes from cartoons. Thats like taken nudity out of HBO.......
Old 08-22-06, 03:11 PM

The review was triggered by a complaint to British media regulator Ofcom by one viewer who took offence to two episodes of Tom and Jerry shown on the Boomerang channel, part of Turner Broadcasting which itself belongs to Time Warner Inc.
One viewer... one viewer who could not possibly tell his/her children to not ape cartoons...

What the hell?
Old 08-22-06, 03:13 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

Bugs Bunny tranvestitism
Porky Pig's stuttering

You forgot about Sylvester the Cat's turrets syndrome.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-22-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
This type of thing use to make me a little angry, but I have Melody Time, and I had no problem with how the smoking was taken out. Didn't bother me a bit.

Spielberg took out the guns of the agents running after Eliot in ET. That didn't bother me either, personally. I would like to have the choice of which version to buy on DVD, but for TV shows, it is no big deal to me.

More racist parts have been edited out of Bugs Bunny cartoons for awhile, as have scenes where characters shoot themselves at the end.

Whenever I watch an older movie with my kids (even like Ghostbusters), my kids ask me why everyone smokes.
Old 08-22-06, 03:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this whole anti smoking thing is getting out of hand - this reeks (pun intended) of sheer fascism.
Old 08-22-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you import Melody Time from Region 2, the smoking is intact. That's what I did... now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a pack of Lucky Strikes for my 8-year-old.
Old 08-22-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought they were just replacing his food from cookies to veggies, but he was still gonna binge.
Old 08-22-06, 05:07 PM

smoking in cartoons = bad
an act of violence in cartoons every 11 seconds = not bad

Makes sense.
Old 08-22-06, 07:03 PM
Banned

Already posted yesterday:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=475197
Old 08-22-06, 07:11 PM

It is funny how Turner can go ahead and present classic films on TCM with intelligent discourse, then turn around and fuck everyone who created and grew up with these cartoons. I hope people bootleg the hell out of the originals.
Old 08-22-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bugs Bunny tranvestitism
Porky Pig's stuttering
You can't show Elmer Fudd getting beaten up or made fun of, it would teach the children that people with speech problems are ok to pick on.

Honestly, I watched these cartoons all the time when i was a kid and i didnt turn into some chain-smoking violence junkie.

Although i have to admit that Daffy getting shot in the face and his bill spinning around his head is pretty damn funny.
Old 08-22-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Thank Gawd for that evil Anime.
Old 08-22-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Bugs Bunny tranvestitism
Porky Pig's stuttering

Don't forget that Rapist Pepe Le Pew or Yosimite Sam's love of the Confederacy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.