Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which movie supprised you the most....ever

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which movie supprised you the most....ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Which movie surprised you the most....ever

Seeing the thread on most dissapointing movies has made me wonder. What movie have you seen in theater surprised you the most. meaning either you had no or low expectations going into the movie and loved it.

For the that movie would be Good Night, and Good Luck. I really didn't know much going into this movie except that it was directed by Geroge Clooney and was set in the 50's. After comming out of the theater I went home and actually went and did reaserch on what the movie was about. This became my favorite movie of last year.

*edit* You can also add dvds or Movies seen on tv. To me these movies are probably the movies people watch with low or no expectations going into the movie. Most people go into the theater with some idea what they are getting into.

Last edited by Dash; 08-22-06 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Butterfly Effect. Thought it would be a typical teen horror/drama but it turned out a lot better than I expected with a great performance by Ashton Kutcher of all people.
Old 08-21-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Fight Club. Trailers made me think it was going to be kinda pointless, absolutely love it these days.
Old 08-21-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of my recent fav films that totally took me by surprise:

The Machinist
Brick
The Squid and the Whale
Match Point
Lord of War
Undertow
Old 08-21-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Easy. Memento.
Old 08-21-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donnie Darko was a big surprise for me. I rented it only because everything else was out and figured, based on the cover, that it was some kind of slasher movie. I had to stop after the first 20 minutes or so and watch again once I realized my error. This was a pleasant surprise.

The movie Monsieur Hire was also a surprise in that I thought I was kind of bored when I was watching the movie... and then the ending happened and I was just emotionally devastated, and I had no idea I cared until just that point.
Old 08-21-06, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 714 Likes on 473 Posts
I can honestly say I have never seen a "dissapointing" movie or been "supprised" by a movie.

I agree with Memento for a positive surprise
Old 08-21-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
House of Flying Daggers

After being (Somewhat) let down after Crouching Tiger... and REALLY being let down by Hero, I held this one in very low expectations. Surprised how much I loved it.
Old 08-21-06, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Memento.

2001: A Space Odyssy - Blew my mind away! And it's a visual masterpiece.

Se7en - One of those endings that really makes you appreciate the film.

The Usual Suspects - For NOT being 'surprising.'
Old 08-21-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Game

I went to see a sneak preview of Kiss the Girls which was pretty disappointing, but we were allowed to stay and watch The Game for free afterwards(I really miss those promotions). I hadn't seen any trailers or read anything about the flick and it really messed with my head. One of the greatest mindf-ck movies of all-time.
Old 08-22-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Resident Evil - Favorite video game series, was ecstatic when I heard about a movie, but when I read the storyline and saw the trailer I cringed. At the last minute I decided to go opening night, and I absolutely loved it. I saw it eight times in the theater, and watched it three times the day it came out on DVD.
Dawn of the Dead '04 - For some reason I really despised the idea of a remake. The trailer had me intrigued, and the movie blew me away opening night. I saw it numerous times as well.
I agree about The Butterfly Effect, I only saw it on DVD when I had a free rental, but it was surprising how good it was.
Old 08-22-06, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
When I first saw the previews, I thought it looked terrible. I didn't want anything to do with it. At that time, I didn't know anything about Thompson or the story. A year or two later, I finally watched the movie, and it quickly became one of my favorites. I'll watch it bi-weekly, if not more.
Old 08-22-06, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
memento

I iwsh i coulda seen it on the big screen
Old 08-22-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts
Kangaroo Jack - It actually isn't that bad of a film. The Kangaroo only talks in a dream sequence.
Old 08-22-06, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone
Donnie Darko was a big surprise for me. ...figured, based on the cover, that it was some kind of slasher movie. This was a pleasant surprise.
Originally Posted by KingSmoth
Dawn of the Dead '04 - For some reason I really despised the idea of a remake. The trailer had me intrigued, and the movie blew me away.
I felt the exact same way about both of these. Especially Donnie Darko.

I'd also have to say Shrek. I thought it was gonna be a typical cutesy kids movie, but was really surprised at the amount of adult humor that was in it. I really enjoyed it.

I also really dug Hostage. Again thinking it was a typical actioner and was fully going to avoid it, but I rented it for free and came out appreciating how the film was shot and how the narrative played out. Plus it had some really cool shots.
Old 08-22-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Memento and Donnie Darko.

I had read up on Memento for months before I saw it on DVD, but even with all the hype I was still blown away.

Same went for Donnie Darko.
Old 08-22-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Butterfly Effect was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread.

Also agree with Memento, Se7en, and Donnie Darko.
Old 08-22-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Momento

We picked it up at the video store thinking it was a typical crime thriller. Wow. We sat spellbound for the whole time. What a mind**** movie.
Old 08-22-06, 09:50 AM

I, Robot.

Its got Will Smith and robots so I thought it'd be super cheesy. It wasn't.
Old 08-22-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Aside from a few already posted, 12 Monkeys would be my pick.
Old 08-22-06, 10:32 AM

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts
Most recently, Lord of War (absolutely loved it).

Of all time...The Battle of Cable Hogue. I was expecting it to be one of Peckinpah's worst, but ended up being one of my favorites of his.
Old 08-22-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Bring it On - as a big Eliza Dushku fan, I wanted to see this only to watch her for a few hours. I wasn't expecting anything beyond a teeny-bopper flick. Not only did I laugh my ass off, the movie has become one of my all-time favs and something I can throw in at any moment of any day and enjoy.

It's highly quotable, full of hot chicks, it's got some cool stunts and is freakin' hilarious at times. Can't get enough of that movie.
Old 08-22-06, 11:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd have to say "Master and Commander...". The previews didn't get me, Russle looked fat, the story just didn't do anything for me. When it came out on DVD the multidisk box set was 4 dollars more than the regular release. I said "What the ****"! Turned out to be one of my favs and also one of the best blind buys I've had
Old 08-22-06, 11:32 AM

Unbreakable - Blew me away, I originally planned on seeing The Grinch but it was sold out.

Master and Commander - I was really turned off by the trailers for this, I ended up seeing it anyway and it ended up being my favorite movie that year.

Running Scared - While I don't like it nearly as much as the other two I was surprised just how good this was, I love the brutality.
Old 08-22-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
The Butterfly Effect. Thought it would be a typical teen horror/drama but it turned out a lot better than I expected with a great performance by Ashton Kutcher of all people.
I was thinking the same thing before even opening this thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.