Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

VANISHED - Episode: Pilot 8/21 9pm FOX

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VANISHED - Episode: Pilot 8/21 9pm FOX

Synopsis:
The wife of a Georgia Senator has vanished. The search for her unravels a prominent family and exposes evidence that could rock the foundations of American Society.

Watch the new show that combines the investigative twists and turns of CSI, the nonstop pace and tension of 24 and the scope of The Da Vinci Code.

Vanished Website
-------------------

I think they are aiming high with there "24", "CSI" & "The Da Vinci Code" claims but the previews have looked interesting so I figured I'd start a post on it to see who else is going to give this a shot and to discuss it after it airs. Should get a good lead in from "Prison Break".
Old 08-21-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shucks -- just beat me to making the thread! I'm a huge Gale Harold fan, so I've been looking forward to this show a long time!

Old 08-21-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have it set on my DVR after Prison Break. We'll give it a shot.
Old 08-21-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I have to say, I just don't like the lead detective. He's about as convincing as Anne Frank reading a book.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-21-06 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty good. I'll be back next week.
Old 08-21-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Most of this is cut-n-pasted from the pilot thread:

"Vanished" - I didn't much like the lead FBI agent on the case of a kidnapped senator's wife (the senator was played by the guy who was Walt Cummings on "24" last season), and Ming-Na isn't all that convincing as a FBI agent welding a gun on a bust-in. Rebecca Gayheart plays the reporter on the story, and she did stumble on the pronunciation of "Chamblee" (she said "Shum-blee", while most everyone in Atlanta says "CHAM-Blee"), and it didn't dawn on me that the show was taking place in Atlanta until the end of the pilot, though the kidnapping supposed occurred at the Biltmore hotel in downtown Atlanta. As the title suggests, the kidnapping seems to be more of a smokescreen for the senator's wife to vanish (and appears to have done so over a decade ago as another person). I didn't find this show all that compelling, certainly not as compelling as "Kidnapped" and probably won't keep up with it when it airs in the fall.
Old 08-21-06, 10:27 PM

I spent the first 10 minutes of the show doing this: because of the scene where the lead FBI agent lets the kid get killed. Hotshot FBI agent never heard of a dead man's switch? No FBI agent on scene thought the kidnapper might have one? Dumbass lead FBI agent sees dead man's switch in time to lunge a couple feet and grab it, but instead RUNS TOWARD THE BOMB about 20 feet away?

I'll probably watch until something better comes along.
Old 08-21-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was good enough for me to watch again next week. Didn't think it was great though.
Old 08-21-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Entertainment Weekly said there was so many twists that it seemed contrived.
Old 08-21-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I liked it. I like the main FBI agent and the rest of the major characters as well, although the daughter might turn out to be a dumbass if she ends up sticking with the loser boyfriend. They opened a lot of questions in the episode and I'm interested in seeing where it goes.
Old 08-21-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMark
I spent the first 10 minutes of the show doing this: because of the scene where the lead FBI agent lets the kid get killed. Hotshot FBI agent never heard of a dead man's switch? No FBI agent on scene thought the kidnapper might have one? Dumbass lead FBI agent sees dead man's switch in time to lunge a couple feet and grab it, but instead RUNS TOWARD THE BOMB about 20 feet away?
That was explained later in the show.
Old 08-22-06, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
That was explained later in the show.

Was it ? I must have missed it, what was the explanation?

As for my impressions of the pilot. It was all over the place. I know they're trying to follow in the footsteps of 24 , where they attempt to hook in the audience with a lot of action right off the bat. But at least set up the characters somewhat before you throw them into the grinder. We know next to nothing about any of the characters. None of them seemed particularly likable nor do I see being able to sum up any empathy for any of them because so far I just don't care.
Old 08-22-06, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I watched the pilot and was unimpressed by it. Didn't like the acting nor the storyline.

Poor Ming-Na, I don't think that this show will very last long.
Old 08-22-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was disappointed with this show. I thought it would have a little more edge to it like 24 but, it seems like they are trying too hard. I mean did we really need to the dead guys brain on the autopsy table? And the lead FBI agent is no Jack Bauer. I'll give it a couple more episodes to prove itself but then I'm out.
Old 08-22-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Entertainment Weekly said there was so many twists that it seemed contrived.
LOL have they never watched this little show called 24?
Old 08-22-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmayor
LOL have they never watched this little show called 24?
At least 24 was entertaining from the get. I hard a hard time staying focused on Vanished and I was hoping that it could be another great/addicting show like Lost, 24 and Prison Break
Old 08-22-06, 11:52 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised at the negativity about this show. I thought it was pretty entertaining last night. Introduced a lot of plot lines that I'm interested in seeing how they turn out.
Old 08-22-06, 12:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I DVR'd it (didn't watch it because wanted to see what the consensus was in this thread). After reading through this thread, I'm still not sure if I should bother or not.
Old 08-22-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I have to say, I just don't like the lead detective. He's about as convincing as Anne Frank reading a book.
Couldn't possibly agree more.

Most horrible example of bungled casting I have ever seen in a TV show.
Old 08-22-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I DVR'd it (didn't watch it because wanted to see what the consensus was in this thread). After reading through this thread, I'm still not sure if I should bother or not.
I would advise against wasting time on it. I had the exact same feeling posted here about how bad the lead FBI guy's acting was--no way would I commit to a season of that. I did like "Walt Cummings" as the senator, but that's not near enough to keep me on board. Season Pass deleted.
Old 08-22-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The lead actor's name is Gale Harold, and I thought he was just fine. Of course, I'd watch him in absolutely anything. Hopefully, the consensus about the show here is not indicative, as I need my Gale fix as long as possible.
Old 08-22-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen anyone less convincing with a gun in their hand than Ming-Na. I kept expecting her to trip over a cable and shoot off her foot! And is there a teenage daughter on television that isn't a complete bitch? I have an 8 year old daughter - is this what I have to look forward to?
I thought the opener was OK but I don't see how this could play out over the course of a season (or seasons) without becoming completely preposterous - then again, that never stopped 24, Prison break, etc.
Old 08-22-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a definite 'meh' vibe watching this... didn't hate it, but it just seemed like pretty generic, mediocre TV to me. Not sure if I'll bother returning to it.
Old 08-22-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
If you're like me and were mildly interested in this show but forgot that it was on last night, there's hope. I saw this on one of the wires at work:

FOX GOES CRAZY, BROADBAND STYLE
``Prison Break'' and ``Vanished'' premiered to pretty solid ratings Monday night, but for those who missed them, Fox is offering a very large backup plan.
The network is launching a huge online push for the two shows, offering commercial-free streaming video of both premieres on its own Web site and a few dozen other outlets. Internet gorillas AOL, Google and Yahoo are part of the package, as are News Corp.-owned sites like IGN. (The ``Vanished'' premiere is also on Zap2it.)
``To launch our two big thrillers — `Prison Break' and `Vanished — both of which have continuing storylines, it is critical to get viewers invested out of the gate,'' says Chris Carlisle, head of marketing at Fox. ``Our strategy supplies as many opportunities as possible for viewers to sample the first few episodes across the Internet. Since the Internet is so communal, we also hope they will immediately buzz about them to their friends online.''
The first episodes of ``Prison Break'' and ``Vanished'' went online Tuesday morning and will be available for viewing through 3 p.m. ET next Monday. The next two episodes of both shows will go up the day after they air on television.
Offering streaming video of shows to build buzz is becoming standard practice for TV networks, but previously they've opted to stick with one or two big portals to host their shows. Fox's effort is the most widespread distribution of network shows online to date.
Old 08-22-06, 05:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was funny seeing Steve from Deadwood in a tux

I thought it was interesting enough to turn in to again

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.