DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Angel (Slim Set Re-Issues) Nov. 28

LKirven517
08-18-06, 03:15 PM
Noticing how nice and trim <I>Buffy</I> looked in her slim set releases, <I>Angel</I> has decided to go on the same diet. You'll be able to see the slimmer <I>Angel</I> on <B>November 28</B> when he unveils his new look at store shelves near you. The new packaging comes with a new price tag as well; $39.98 US/$54.98 CAN, down from $59.98 US/$89.98 CAN. Still no word on a complete <I>Angel</I> set planned for release in North America.

canaryfarmer
08-18-06, 03:23 PM
Very cool. I've been waiting for a price drop.

LKirven517
08-18-06, 03:28 PM
I've had Season 1 for a few months (bought it for $17.88 at Sam's) but never bought the other seasons because of the price. Maybe now I will get to finish off the set.

BTW, were the Buffy (Slim Sets) on sale the first week they came out? (if anyone can remember)

Nick Martin
08-18-06, 03:51 PM
BTW, were the Buffy (Slim Sets) on sale the first week they came out? (if anyone can remember)

In some places, they probably are still on sale.

Nick Martin
08-18-06, 03:54 PM
Very cool. I've been waiting for a price drop.

Since the slim Buffy sets all featured the exterior slip case artwork as the individual case art and therefore ANGEL will likely be the same, can I assume you will be designing individual art for the slim sets - to make them all different?

It would be an interesting challenge, from a design standpoint. You have to wonder why Fox couldn't make that effort.

Josh Z
08-18-06, 04:25 PM
Noticing how nice and trim <I>Buffy</I> looked in her slim set releases, <I>Angel</I> has decided to go on the same diet.

Good idea. He was looking pretty beefy around Season 4.

canaryfarmer
08-18-06, 04:26 PM
Since the slim Buffy sets all featured the exterior slip case artwork as the individual case art and therefore ANGEL will likely be the same, can I assume you will be designing individual art for the slim sets - to make them all different?

It would be an interesting challenge, from a design standpoint.

I could probably be coerced into doing it :)

SuperBatMan
08-18-06, 05:58 PM
I'll stick with the original sets.

I give the series the highest recommendation possible for those who haven't seen it, and thinking about getting into it.

John*D
08-18-06, 06:10 PM
Sold my S1 copy that I had bought for $15 from a Amazon sale b/c I knew this would be coming. I'll buy these slim and all the buffy slims eventually.

The Escapist
08-18-06, 06:21 PM
Just got all the "Fat" Angel Seasons for $24.99 @ at Costco, so I'll hang on to them. Hey, is this going to be like Young Elvis vs. Fat Elvis, and will there be a stamp?

mzupeman2
08-18-06, 06:45 PM
Ah, well it's eventual. I'll hold out for the 'big box' eventually that's going to be coming I'm sure.

Davy Mack
08-18-06, 06:53 PM
yup, with an exclusive bonus disc to piss everybody off who are completeists and already own all the seasons.

;)

wennma01
11-25-06, 09:47 PM
if theres anyone thats not holding out for the big set, i just pre-ordered all of these for ~$125 shipped from buy.com and various google checkout coupons...

any recent rumblings about a full series set?

The Reaper
11-26-06, 12:10 AM
$125 seems a bit high. With Google Checkout, you should be able to get each new thinpack for around $20, $100 for all 5 seasons.

I'm still undecided. I'd like to hold out for the mega box but I figured it'd be out this year.....not too sure if I can hold out for yet another year. Hopefully, they'll be a part of some 50% sale soon from a store that allows Google Checkout, maybe knock 'em down to around $15 or so each.

wennma01
11-26-06, 12:18 AM
buy.com had them for ~$35...i didn't see them any cheaper with a google checkout store. amazon has them for ~$28.

i ordered them as a gift. i have the fat sets and will just upgrade(maybe) for a complete series set

The Reaper
11-26-06, 03:54 PM
As soon as Dvd Planet lists them, they should be around $29.XX, the same price they sell the Buffy thinpacks at.

Linquel
12-30-06, 01:36 PM
But do the Slim Sets have all the same bonus features that the regular ones have? That's the most important factor for me.

canaryfarmer
12-30-06, 02:34 PM
I wonder how many times this has to be answered:

Slim Sets == Thicker sets. Just Slimmer.

dolphinboy
12-30-06, 04:57 PM
I wonder how many times this has to be answered:

Slim Sets == Thicker sets. Just Slimmer.

Didn't I read that the X-Files slim sets didn't have all the same bonus features?

canaryfarmer
12-30-06, 05:07 PM
Sorry. I meant for just the Buffy & Angel sets.

Nick Martin
12-30-06, 06:10 PM
Forgive my ignorance, since I don't own any X-Files sets, but wasn't the bonus feature change due to the original X-Files sets having more than the standard 6 discs - forcing the studio to reshuffle the extras to fit so they could lose a disc?

Buffy and Angel don't have that issue, so there's no need to change the content of those discs (though restoring the 'previously on' recaps would have been just about the BEST excuse to encourage people to repurchase these series)

ctowner1
01-03-07, 08:09 PM
Amazon has the Angel slimsets for $20 each - so $100 for the series. I wonder if the Angel Series Box will be cheaper? I'd prefer the box to match my Buffy box - but wouldn't be willing to pay more than, say, $10 extra to get the box. Unless, perhaps it had a bonus DVD like the Buffy set did - does it?

Also, anyone know when the Angel Series Box is due in the US? I mean it was out in the UK over ayear ago, right??

ChefWinduAZ
01-03-07, 08:55 PM
Amazon has the Angel slimsets for $20 each - so $100 for the series.

Actually only seasons 2-5 are $20 each. Season 1 is not on sale for some reason.

ctowner1
01-03-07, 10:19 PM
Actually only seasons 2-5 are $20 each. Season 1 is not on sale for some reason.

hmm..look's like you're right. But they have the non-slimset Season 1 for $20 - so you CAN get the full series for $100:

http://tinyurl.com/y9d75h

ThePrimeDreamer
01-11-07, 12:06 PM
Hey, just to follow up on this thread. Not only are the sets slimmer but they're all in widescreen format. I know some of the older fatter sets were in widescreen but for us who bought earlier seasons, I think 1-3, they were all default full screen like Buffy. So I'm really tempted to get these that are only $20; but if there is a box set coming, I don't know..

canaryfarmer
01-11-07, 12:20 PM
Only Season 1 was released 4:3.

Seasons 2-5 were released in anamorphic widescreen.

So Season 1 (Slim-Set) is widescreen? This would be the first time I've heard that, so I'm a bit skeptical. Can you offer some proof, please?

EDIT--Wait, which region are you talking about?

Nick Martin
01-11-07, 11:30 PM
I hope he's wrong.

Because if he's right about season 1 slim being widescreen (even though the packaging I've seen in stores says it isn't) not only will I be deeply, incredibly PISSED, but I'll be rushing to the store to buy it first thing in the morning, even though it would be the same as season 2 - open-matte widescreen, not shot that way.

ENDContra
01-12-07, 05:10 AM
I bought the R4 Angel complete set last spring (wanted it to match my Buffy R2 complete set)...unfortunately both S1 and S2 were 4:3. I was already considering buying the slim-pack form the widescreen transfers, but if this is true I might go ahead and do it. Wonder how much I could get for the R4 discs in the R1 packaging on eBay? :)

ENDContra
01-18-07, 09:51 PM
So did anyone figure out if the new slim season one set is indeed widescreen or not?

Josh Z
01-19-07, 06:56 AM
So did anyone figure out if the new slim season one set is indeed widescreen or not?

S2 has always been 4:3 in Region 4 but widescreen everywhere else. There's no reason to think that these slimpak reissues will contain discs any different from the standard editions previously released in your region.

ENDContra
01-24-07, 04:54 AM
^True, there isnt, but I still wanted verification. R4 S3 through S5 are wide though. Anyhow, Im thinking of selling this box on ebay (going for $150+) and picking up the slim sets just to get some money back and get season 2 in widescreen. DVDcompare mentions that the "Previously on"s and an opening scene from "Over the Rainbow" are missing from the Region 1 set (the "fat" release I assume). Was this fixed for the slim sets? Probably not?

Josh-da-man
01-24-07, 02:06 PM
^True, there isnt, but I still wanted verification. R4 S3 through S5 are wide though. Anyhow, Im thinking of selling this box on ebay (going for $150+) and picking up the slim sets just to get some money back and get season 2 in widescreen. DVDcompare mentions that the "Previously on"s and an opening scene from "Over the Rainbow" are missing from the Region 1 set (the "fat" release I assume). Was this fixed for the slim sets? Probably not?

Actually there are a couple of episodes that have scenes cut from their opening minutes; especially when the "Previously on..." intros bled directly into the opening of the episode. (I think "That Old Gang of Mine" is another, as well as "End of Days" in season seven of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yes, it is irritating as hell.)

Balok
02-05-07, 06:35 PM
Are the discs in the slim sets double-sided? I dislike double-sided discs, and avoid sets made that way, because in my experience they are more likely to fail (I had to return two copies of the original Outer Limits set for this reason - dead out of the box).