Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Lord of War' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Lord of War' (Blu-ray)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Talk review of 'Lord of War'

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Lord of War at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23266 and...

This title is indeed available on SD-DVD in the OAR. Lions Gate quietly re-released this title in it's OAR after everybody threw up a fuss.

I know it's a little thing, but it's used several times in the review as a reason to jump on the Blu-Ray bandwagon.

I wish they had put the extras that were on the 2-disc SD-DVD on there!

Last edited by ShagMan; 08-17-06 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 01:55 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by ShagMan
This title is indeed available on SD-DVD in the OAR. Lions Gate quietly re-released this title in it's OAR after everybody threw up a fuss.

I know it's a little thing, but it's used several times in the review as a reason to jump on the Blu-Ray bandwagon.
I checked both Amazon and DVD Empire before I wrote the article, and the two versions they have for sale are both listed as being 1.78:1. Not that they can't be wrong, but which version is 2.40:1?

Also, I wouldn't say that I used that OAR argument "as a reason to jump on the Blu-Ray bandwagon." I stated that it that it was OAR twice and recommended the disc. I don't think anything in my review could be construed as hyping Blu-Ray. The only real plug, "At last the Blu-Ray format gives movie fans something to cheer about" is a back handed compliment at best.
Old 08-17-06, 02:20 PM

The 2-Disc version I own is 2.40:1. Was Lion's Gate did was just quietly put the proper OAR dvds on the shelf with a black sticker saying "2.40:1" over top of the 1.78:1 description on the back. Very sneaky, especially if you plan on buying it online.
Old 08-17-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by videophile
The only real plug, "At last the Blu-Ray format gives movie fans something to cheer about" is a back handed compliment at best.
Actually, re-reading that, I agree with you on that... maybe I just haven't had my afternoon coffee

What's funny is that Lord of War sure did broadcast on satellite in OAR, but they didn't do it on DVD originally.

Oh, and as the above poster stated, there's no new UPC, so online vendors don't have the correct information, and there's no telling which ratio you'll get... it's one of those situations where you'd have to go to the store and check labels. I personally don't own a copy because I read the thread about it here first, and now it's kinda expensive (non-1st week price).
Old 08-17-06, 04:09 PM
Defunct Account

It really sucks that Lions Gate would do that in such a sneaky manner. I remembered the uproar when the disc was released, but didn't hear anything after that. On one hand I'm glad there's a SD DVD in OAR, but on the other it really sucks that the people who got the good 1st week prices pretty much got screwed.

Thanks for letting me know about this ShagMan (and Gonvik). I'll change my review.
Old 08-17-06, 08:36 PM

so the dvd is avalible in OAR now?
for us that bought it on release day, it's been since re-released?
Old 08-18-06, 12:34 PM
Defunct Account

Yes. As Gonvik said, it wasn't re-released they just started shipping OAR versions in the 2 disc set w/ a sticker on the back.