Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The 1up Show

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 06:48 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 1up Show

Anyone else watch this video podcast?

It's been out for over a year, but I never bothered as I assumed it would be lame like all the TV video game shows (x-play etc.).

I heard from a friend that it was pretty good, and checked out the most recent episode.

It is actually pretty decent. No annoying hosts etc., just a few segments on different games. They show a lot of game footage, behind the scenes making of the game stuff with developers, interviews with developers etc. I was very pleasantly surprised and subscribed to the podcast in iTunes.
Old 08-16-06, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i watch it occasionally, but i like 1upyours (audio podcast) better.
Old 08-16-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
1up Yours is an excellent podcast. The clash of attitudes and opinions and the very frank speech. I watch the 1up show on occasion.
Old 08-16-06, 07:13 PM
Retired

I'll have to check out the 1 up yours as well. Want to check out the EGM Live audio podcast too, but don't have high hopes for that one.

I like the 1up show since it shows so much game footage, and I'm not one to often go to gamevideos.com or other sites and look up videos on my own. So I get a chance to see some stuff I wouldn't see otherwise just by getting the weekly podcast (which takes no effort on my part really).

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-16-06 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1upyours(audio) - best
1up show(video) - good
egm live(audio) - boring as hell
Old 08-17-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Gamespot's podcast didn't do anything for me as well. Very boring. I just like how honest about stuff they are on 1up Yours. Yeah, they toss out the foul language a bit much, but they at least sound like real people and will bash they hell out of each other and they make really good arguments on why they like or dislike a game.
Old 08-17-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
1upyours(audio) - best
1up show(video) - good
I'll add:

IGN Podcast Series: Excellent (informative)
Major Nelson - Excellent (very informative, interviews weekly)
1upyours(audio) - Entertaining (lots of trash talking, clash of personalities)
1up show(video) - Haven't watched
egm live(audio) - Decent
CAGcast - bottom of the barrel (something to kill time)

My company recently moved and I can't get a radio reception anymore so my playlist is filled with podcasts to get me through the week.

Originally Posted by darkside
1upyours...at least sound like real people and will bash they hell out of each other and they make really good arguments on why they like or dislike a game.
Ditto. Last week they trashed Cliffy B (gears of war) for the lame BIG release date announcement and price. This week he came on to defend and talk smack back.
Old 08-17-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
1upyours(audio) - best
I agree with this. The EGM show is just pointless. 1upyours is definately a better listen. Luke grates on my nerves a bit, but I do love when he and the Sony fanboy get into it.

I do enjoy the Gamespot show just because I find Jeff amusing. Don't as me why. The PC Gamer podcast is also pretty decent. All of the gaming centric podcast I've tried that were done by regular Joes have been hot garbage though. I wonder why that is?
Old 08-17-06, 11:40 AM

1up yours show would be much better without Luke, the guy is so shrill and annoying. He flies off the handle for the stupidest reasons.
Old 08-17-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by penguin42
1up yours show would be much better without Luke, the guy is so shrill and annoying. He flies off the handle for the stupidest reasons.
when he gets on a rant it can get annoying, but the otherwise i think he's funny, without him the show would be boring.
Old 08-17-06, 03:33 PM
Retired

Just listened to the most recent 1up Yours podcast.

Not bad, but thought it was a bit dull. But to be fair they didn't cover much I was really interested in this time.
Old 08-18-06, 05:19 PM
Retired

Listened to the past couple EGM lives, definitely pretty dull. Too much time spent on answering letters etc.

Parts are interesting, like talking more about reviews, cover stories etc. from the past issue, so I'll probably keep it subscribed and just skim through it for the few interesting tidbits.

1up show is definitely my fave of the bunch after checking all of them out. There's just no substitute for having the game footage (I've always been a visual person).
Old 08-19-06, 10:36 AM

I like the 1up audio as well. I've listened to a few, but last week I could hear them breathing and spitting into the mics.

I also like IGN's wiik in review, altough its monthly.

EGM Live is pretty boring, but the chick has a hot voice.
Old 08-19-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1upyours is my favourite audio pod cast as well. They do have a pretty good mix of guys on board and it's fairly entertaining. Gamespot wants to have the same level of spirit on their podcast but they just come off as trying too hard.

I'd also recommend the Twitch Asymlum podcast as the quality is consistant and I find their, usually well researched, section on retrogaming interesting.
http://www.twitchasylum.com/
Old 08-19-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald

EGM Live is pretty boring, but the chick has a hot voice.
That seems to be the only plus for me.
Old 08-19-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My thoughts:

1UpYours: Ok. Often they focus more on being game reporters than on the games/news itself. Put me in the camp that finds Luke more annoying than entertaining.
EMG Live: Time killer. The girl's hot voice makes this tolerable, but overall the show lacks energy and drive. It doesn't feel like anyone really wants to be there.
GameSpot Hot Spot: Varies. The host's false enthusiasm can reach irritating levels at times, but generally they have a good flow. Carrie brought some good energy to the show, but unfortunately she left Gamespot earlier this month.
Old 08-25-06, 11:59 AM

I like the guys at Short Attention Gamer: http://www.shortattentiongamer.com/
Pretty fun podcast and the Cagcast is great. The Cagcast is the podcast for the CheapAssGamer website.

I used to enjoy the Major more, but it really is only a commerical for XBOX360 (just litsten to the podcasts on the HD-DVD drives) and also the Major likes himself a little too much for my taste.
Old 08-25-06, 12:29 PM
Suspended

I know I'm in the minority, but I like X-Play, and iTunes has their reviews available as a daily video podcast. I watch them on my iPod... good quality too.
Old 08-25-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I'd also recommend the Twitch Asymlum podcast as the quality is consistant and I find their, usually well researched, section on retrogaming interesting.
http://www.twitchasylum.com/
Thanks for the link! I like it!

My choice? I love Dreamstation.cc. They don't spend whole minutes introducing each other or warming up. They choose good topics. They liven their show with cool jingles. They keep their audio levels consistent. What's not to like?

Last edited by dugan; 08-25-06 at 03:49 PM.