Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DIY XBox 360 Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 03:27 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
DIY XBox 360 Games

I think that this is buried in the massive 360 thread, but I would think that it would deserve its own thread.

We are thinking about adding a video game design curriculum to our school and this could be a nice start.

Microsofts offers tools to all types of game makers
Monday, August 14, 2006; 1:25 AM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. <MSFT.O> on Monday will announce the availability of software tools aimed at encouraging independent and hobbyist video game makers to create titles for its new Xbox 360 console.

The move from Microsoft, which kicks off its two-day Gamefest video game development conference in Seattle on Monday, comes as the popularity of user-created content on the Internet grows and as the software giant builds a large audience for its Web-connected Xbox Live online service.

Microsoft said its tool kit, called XNA Game Studio Express, will make it easier for enthusiasts to create games to run on Microsoft's next-generation Xbox 360 console or personal computers running its Windows operating system.

A test version of the tool kit will be out by August 30. The final product will be available this holiday season for an annual subscription of $99 per year for Xbox 360 game development. The software will be free to people making games to run on Windows.

Microsoft said more than 10 universities, including the University of Southern California and Southern Methodist University, will include XNA Game Studio Express and Xbox 360 development in their fall curricula.

read more...
Old 08-14-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I think this is posted in the compendium thread. But then again this seems like a pretty big deal so having its own thread might be good.
Old 08-14-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but, it only was worthy of one reply in the thread...so perhaps not
Old 08-14-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it is a great thing. The more, the merrier.
Old 08-14-06, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think this is posted in the compendium thread. But then again this seems like a pretty big deal so having its own thread might be good.
Um, did you read the first line of my first post?

I've never been an XBox fan, but I have alot of students who are. Our department bought an XBox for "research" purposes, and will be picking up a 360, Wii and PS3 this semester. Maybe the department will spring for the fee and we can play with the tools.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-14-06 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-14-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Um, did you read the first line of my first post?

Why would I do that?

Old 08-14-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I think that the capabilities of what is being offered are being overblown. Contrary to what MS hype says about it being videogaming's version of MySpace, I highly doubt that anything substantive will result from this. MS has too much control over what content is available to want to open it up now.
Old 08-14-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
I think that the capabilities of what is being offered are being overblown. Contrary to what MS hype says about it being videogaming's version of MySpace, I highly doubt that anything substantive will result from this. MS has too much control over what content is available to want to open it up now.
This is the very reason I didn't really post about it in the other thread. MS is far too tough and critical with their content to really get me excited about this. If one person makes a game and it gets turned down will that person continue to make other games? For every game that gets approved how many will get turned away? I'm for testing a product and making sure it works but if they scrutinized their hardware as well as they do their software sales would be bigger and I would still have my launch day system. This software is over hyped and will surely be under utilized.
Old 08-14-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Sounds cool in theory, but I have to agree with masterofDVD, I don't think much will come of it. If small development houses can barely get games through their testing/approval process how would some schmoe in his basement succeed at it?
Old 08-14-06, 08:48 PM

I'll call dibs on making a game about an otter named Thor that throws crackers to break through rows of DVDs (ala, Breakout).