Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Complete Toxic Avenger - 7 DVD set (all movies and Toxic Crusaders cartoon)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

TVShowsonDVD.com has an article about The Complete Toxic Avenger. As per the box front, it includes Toxic Avenger 1, 2, 3, 4 (Citizen Toxie), Apocalypse Soon: The Making of Citizen Toxie and all 13 episodes of the Toxic Crusaders cartoon. It's set to be released September 5 and will have an MSRP of 59.98.
What I'm not sure about is what DVDs will be in it. For starters, the first movie had the original release as well as a recent 21st anniversary edition. Then, the way I understand it, the second movie's standalone DVD wasn't completely uncut, but then the one in the Tox Box (1-3 + Toxic Crusaders movie) was. And I think the fourth one had a couple different releases.
opefully someone will be able to let us know before it gets released.
Old 08-14-06, 10:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
RE: Toxic Avenger (the first film)

and there's also a longer Japanese video version that includes footage not found in the US uncut version. Oddly, the car/head crush scene reduces the graphic gore/carnage by optically tinting the scenes in green and red.
Old 08-14-06, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The standalone Part II was corrected at the same time the Tox Box was included.

Based on the disc count it looks like this set will include the single-disc full-frame edition of the first film as opposed to the 2-disc widescreen edition, which is actually a good thing. It's most likely 1 disc for the first three, 2 discs for IV (including "Apocalypse Soon" on Disc 2) and 2 discs for the 13 animated episodes.

The widescreen transfer is a non-anamorphic cropped version and it's very clearly not composed to be widescreen, there are several instances of necessary visual information being completely obscured, and there's really not much worthwhile extra content. There are a couple decent interviews with the cast, including the guy that played Toxie but overall I was very disappointed in the 2-disc version and glad to have the 1-disc version from the box set and that's the one I continue to watch to this day.

This box set is appealing but the only thing I don't have is the 13 television eps and Troma has always been good about releasing exclusive stuff seperately at a later date. "Toxic Crusaders: The Movie" was originally exclusive to the Tox Box but was eventually released on it's own.
Old 08-14-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I bought the Tox Box at the DDD sale. Oh well.
Old 08-14-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The longer Japanese/Euro version of the original film is not the directors cut though. The version released in the U.S unrated is the directors cut. Longer does not always mean 'better' and most of the deleted scenes are included as extras on the dvd.

Now if you want to see some terrible editing,go seek out a rare copy of the R rated version on VHS. Their are continuity holes galore because of the massive cuts throughout the film.
Old 08-14-06, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
The longer Japanese/Euro version of the original film is not the directors cut though. The version released in the U.S unrated is the directors cut. Longer does not always mean 'better' and most of the deleted scenes are included as extras on the dvd.

Now if you want to see some terrible editing,go seek out a rare copy of the R rated version on VHS. Their are continuity holes galore because of the massive cuts throughout the film.
oh I didn't think I implied that the longer cut was the better cut - it does from an editorial standpoint illustrate how varying cuts of the film get released internationaly.

I'm sure it's there, but is the expanded locker room sex scene included in the disc's supplementary section?

Incidently, the first time I saw 'The Toxic Avenger' was the R-rated theatrical cut of the film, as part of a mini Troma fest at the AFI in DC.

Last edited by Giles; 08-14-06 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-14-06, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
The standalone Part II was corrected at the same time the Tox Box was included.
what was odd about the first release of Toxie II (in cut R-rated form), was that the commentary track made direct comments/explanations of the (cut) gore scenes (Kaufman was watching the uncut version), which made the visual references make no sense, hence the correction for the Tox Box.
Old 08-14-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I only own the first one so I might actually get this.
Old 08-14-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know some of the Troma Team roam the boards here. i'm sure we can get some straight answers.

with Poultrygeist about to hit theaters, I have a feeling were gonna see alot of remasters of Troma films.
Old 08-14-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only own the first movie (the original full frame version) but I've been holding out for the others for something like this (I thought the Tox Box was pointless without Citizen Toxie). Hopefully they included the original version or the first one but if they don't, I can always just stick my current copy in the box.
Old 09-06-06, 11:44 PM

Anybody have any news in regards to this boxset? It was supposed to come out Sept 5th, but doesn't look like that happened.

I don't own a single Toxic Avenger movie, so I was planning on picking this up, but don't see it listed anywhere.
Old 09-07-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i saw a ad in Home Media Retailing with cover art, and feature readout....looks like i have tossed it, or i would post a scan. It didn't specify which edition of the first film was inside though.
Old 09-07-06, 07:01 AM

Well, amazon's listing just says 'Currently Unavailable' so that doesn't look like a good sign. And I see nothing about it on Troma's site.
Old 11-02-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bump
Old 11-07-06, 11:26 PM

Looks like it wasnt released?
Old 11-08-06, 01:40 PM

I don't think it was. I can't really find it online anymore. Sucks to cause it was in the top 5 sets i wanted this year. Maybe there was some rights issues with the cartoon episodes or they are changing that awful looking case for the set.
Old 07-19-07, 11:14 PM

Bump on this Old Thread.. Its near a year now and I guess the rumors where not true (as of now)

I guess Im lucky not to release my Tox Box (which is release by the way in two versions - one is just the boxset while the other comes with a Lenticular cover)

Old 07-21-07, 09:42 PM

“DVD titles to be promoted at Comic-Con: Toxic Avenger Box Set and Cannibal the Musical 11th Anniversary Edition

Marketing techniques: “For Tromeo, which we promoted at least year’s Comic-Con, we promoted with exclusive his/her temporary tattoos; for Ultimate Toxic Avenger and Cannibal, we have trailers on a special ‘Sneak Beak’ DVD for our upcoming theatrical release Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead,” says Jeremy Howell, Troma sales and operations VP.

The value of Comic-Con for DVD marketing: “Comic-Con is very important as it allows us to directly reach our core demographic in an atmosphere where an independent can have almost as much exposure as a major studio.”

Advice for DVD retailers hoping to capitalize on Comic-Con’s popularity: “Be creative!”

videobusiness.com
Old 07-25-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good to see this on the way
Old 07-25-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quick toxic related question....

Was the Toxic Crusaders Animated movie an actual movie or just a collection of episodes from the series? I was trying to tell if it's contents were different from what is featured on that cheapo Toxic Crusaders: The Television Series Vol 1 dvd.
Old 07-25-07, 01:21 PM

The movie was the first four episodes edited together.
Old 07-25-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope they don't use that transfer for the first one they used last time. Knowing them they will though but I have the Tox Box, so I'm pretty much set.
Old 07-26-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yah it was a bad call to hack it to fit WS and even worse to make it non anamorphic.
Old 07-26-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great news. I, surprisingly, don't own any of the Toxie films so this set sounds like the best way to get it all. As long as the 1st film isn't the widescreen edition I'm all over it. I hope the packaging is sweet.