Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Romancing the Stone: Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Romancing the Stone: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23215 and...

Can you tell us if the transfer includes the burned in subtitles that appeared in the theatrical release whenever anyone speaks in a foreign language? The last DVD release had an error and there were no subtitles in the transfer.
Old 08-14-06, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, really? I feel like I shoulda known that. I'll check the DVD later today and let you know.
Old 08-14-06, 03:14 PM

For guidence, one scene is the scene where Jack and Joan enter the small village and the "bellmaker" points the gun at them through the door. After Jack says "Ok Joan Wilder, write us out of this one."

The bellmaker starts speaking spanish to the others in the village. The subtitles should show him saying to them that "This is the woman who writes the books I read to you on Sundays" or something like that.

If it's not there, then Fox screwed up again. It was on the VHS version, but was omitted on the last DVD release.

Another example is when the bad general guy gets into Danny Devito's car and asks him if he is American. After DeVito's speech about hating Americanos, the general says something in French. The subtitle should read "You must be French."
Old 08-16-06, 01:20 AM

OK, I tried it with and without the English subtitles and it doesn't look like that subtitle ("This is the woman who writes the books I read to you on Sundays") is on there at all. The DVD subtitles just say "[Speaking Spanish]"

Ditto on the Zolo line.

How weird.
Old 08-16-06, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what ????? No Dolby 5.1 !!!!!!!! what a big disappointment.

and this "Michael Douglas Remembers" - only about 2.3mins long. Obviously he doesn't remember that much.
Old 08-16-06, 10:36 AM

That truly blows. At least two great jokes in the movie were in other languages. No sale for me again.
Old 08-16-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
So they screwed it up again? Niiiiiiiiiiice.
Old 08-16-06, 05:54 PM

it's (almost) a non-buy / no brainer for me down here in Australia (R4 land) - as we've already had the 16x9 editions of both films out for years - AND - you can get them for around the $A10 or less !!!

What is it with FOX ??? they're able to bring out great new SE editions of THE FLY / MAN ON FIRE etc.... but with ROMANCING THE STONE they've done almost nothing (apart from give you guys an anamorphic version).

Time to remove this title from my DDD wishlist
Old 08-19-06, 10:56 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scott, in your review for THE JEWEL OF THE NILE, you mention the trailer is included, but you make no such assurance with ROMANCING THE STONE. Do both films feature their respective original theatrical trailers or not?
Old 08-20-06, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Scott, in your review for THE JEWEL OF THE NILE, you mention the trailer is included, but you make no such assurance with ROMANCING THE STONE. Do both films feature their respective original theatrical trailers or not?
I'd also like to know. The original non-anamorphic version included the trailer. It'd be a shame if this version didn't but knowing Fox ...
Old 08-21-06, 03:17 PM

Nope, no trailer. I'm always pretty anal about getting ALL the extra listed in my reviews, and I definitely double-checked on it: No RTS trailer.

Sorry.
Old 08-21-06, 08:02 PM

Thanks Scott. Disappointed, though.
Old 08-22-06, 03:35 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Yuck...thanks for checking...man, I hate keeping entire DVDs for one trailer...and why the hell would TJOTN: SE have one but not RTS: SE???
Old 09-07-06, 08:44 PM
Banned

Another question: I won't be able to look at my own DVD of the new JEWEL OF THE NILE: Special Edition for a while so can anyone tell me--is the trailer on it the 90-second teaser that begins with Danny DeVito running into a phone booth in the middle of a desert and ends with him saying, "And if I've gotta go..." [turns to the camera and sneers at the audience] "...then you've gotta go!"?