Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any Anime similar to Karas?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi All!

This is my first posting, so forgive me if I make a mistake. I just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for some anime movies that are similar to Karas: The Profecy (CG and standard animation and great sound). Thanks!
Old 08-13-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome aboard. I haven't gotten around to watching Karas yet, but there are plenty of good anime films that incorporates CG with 2-D animation. Appleseed is a recent one that is quite good. There's an anime thread that I started in DVD Talk and another one in the Bargains section that you could pose your question in(I'm sure one of the otakus could give you some good recommendations). Here's the link to the thread that I started-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470452
Old 08-13-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks SBJ!

Thanks very much I will look into that. I'll put Appleseed in my Netflix Queue.
Old 08-14-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is a truly impressive mix of 2-D and 3-D animation. However, watch out for early copies that had only closed captions rather than actual English subtitles.

The Utena movie is another visual feast, but it might be a little too weird (and it's better appreciated by fans of the TV series).
Old 08-31-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rented Appleseed and it was awesome! That was exactly what I was looking for! I would like to see more like that!
Old 09-03-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fully agree with Innocence if not only due the fact that it's one of my favorite films of it's type. It's a truly remarkable piece of work and would definately fall into the category the OP is looking for.

Although not anime, check out Titan AE some time and see what you think. Storywise it's a bit out there even for a Sci Fi related film, but the CGI/Cel animation is very good IMHO. Besides, if you have a HT set up, the DTS track absolutely rocks!!!!
Old 09-03-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
I fully agree with Innocence if not only due the fact that it's one of my favorite films of it's type. It's a truly remarkable piece of work and would definately fall into the category the OP is looking for.

Although not anime, check out Titan AE some time and see what you think. Storywise it's a bit out there even for a Sci Fi related film, but the CGI/Cel animation is very good IMHO. Besides, if you have a HT set up, the DTS track absolutely rocks!!!!
I completely agree on both counts. I would recommend buying Titan AE because you can get it for $5 or less just about everywhere and it's a fun flick. Be careful with your subwoofer during the ice storm scene.
Old 09-03-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys. I just checked out the trailer for Titan at Netflix. I'll see if I can find that at Target or Walmart. I do have a good HT system. I love those DTS tracks!