Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii, an XBOX360 owner's dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Wii, an XBOX360 owner's dilemma

Perhaps this has happened to you, perhaps not, but we shall see after I post..

Upon hearing of the new systems coming out, I was most excited about the Wii. I mean, motion sensing controller, Nintendo franchises, Mario looking like a Mario game again, downloadable SNES/NES/TG16 games. Fucking awesome I must say. I was thrilled to hear every minute detail of Wii gossip. I routinely told everyone that "I'm buying a Wii, and nothing else, it looks like so much fun!"

Then it happened. One Sunday, one of my friends and I were hanging around the local Circuit City looking for the PS2/DS cheap game clearance, and I had already given up digging thru the bin, but he was determined to find osmething of value, when I saw the XBOX 360 Kiosk. Up to this point, the only game I've seen/played for the 360 was King Kong before the system launched. And I wasn't THAT impressed with it.

The kiosk was playing Fight Night Round 3, and I immediately fell in love with the system. The HD graphics, the sound, the dashboard setup. Fast forward to the next Wednesday, my new EGM came, and had an ad for a game I've previously never heard of, Dead Rising), and on that Sunday, I went down to Best Buy, picked up the 360, a warranty, and Fight Night.

Since Fight Night, I've got Oblivion, Burnout Revenge, Table Tennis, LOTR:BFMEII, and Dead Rising. I've owned, but sold Chromehounds, DOA4 -, Kameo, and PDZ0. I've enjoyed them all (except the CH, Kameo and PDZ , blah), AND, I've been amazed at the graphics in every one of them. Whether its the graphical flair of DOA, or the 1000000 zombies/cultists on screen at one time in Dead Rising, or the dungeons of Oblivion, I've fallen in love with HD gaming.

I haven't even gotten started on XBL Arcade, but lets just say I find myself plyaing games on there, more then real games some weeks. HD Uno? Hell Yes!

Which leads me to my dilemma. I've been a Nintendo fanboy since I was a kid. Owned every NOA made system, and every NOA made handheld. Some of the handhelds I've owned twice, I'll sell it, then buy another one when a good game I need to play comes out.

I love Mario, Link, Samus, and Pit. I love the creativity Nintendo shows.

Yet I'm torn. I've wanted a Wii for a long time, since I first saw it, but I"m beginning to get fearful of it. No HD graphics , a controller that looks way too gimmicky of course this is my least worry, I thought the DS was gimmicky too, then again, Ninteno has also given us the Power Glove and R.O.B . , and a very bland lineup of games that look deeper then "swing your controller at it!".

I know I'll wind up buying one, I just worry it'll sit and collect dust on my shelf, when the heavy hitting 360 titles show up.

Is anyone else in the same boat, or am I batshit insane for even thinking this way?
Old 08-13-06, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in the same boat. I have owned a ps2, gamecube, psp, and nintendo DS but I couldnt play them because I couldnt turn off my 360 so I sold them. I want a wii to but I know I wont play it but for 5 mins.
Old 08-13-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's just too early to tell. The only thing you can legitimately have a concern over at this point is non-HD graphics. But that's never been a problem before, so I'm not sure why it should matter now.

The controller is different, and that's the whole point. I have to assume that if it didn't work, Nintendo would have discovered that during R&D and we wouldn't even be seeing the Wii as it is.

You know the games will be there. And for the low entry point of < $250, I don't see how you can go wrong. Even if you do, there's bound to be a reasonable resell market leading up to Christmas. Besides, you'll be able to play as Link and Samus in brand new games from day 1. How can you go wrong?
Old 08-13-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I think it's just too early to tell. The only thing you can legitimately have a concern over at this point is non-HD graphics. But that's never been a problem before, so I'm not sure why it should matter now.

The controller is different, and that's the whole point. I have to assume that if it didn't work, Nintendo would have discovered that during R&D and we wouldn't even be seeing the Wii as it is.

You know the games will be there. And for the low entry point of < $250, I don't see how you can go wrong. Even if you do, there's bound to be a reasonable resell market leading up to Christmas. Besides, you'll be able to play as Link and Samus in brand new games from day 1. How can you go wrong?
Non HD NFL was never a problem before I got my HDTV, it is now. Thats all i'm saying with that point.
Old 08-13-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

*shrug*

To some people, gaming is about more than graphics. It's about gameplay.

If Nintendo has ever excelled at something, it's gameplay. I guess I'm in the latter camp. Give me gameplay over graphics anytime. Needless to say, I'm a Wii owner from day one...and I'm not a Nintendo loyalist.

= J
Old 08-13-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderball
Ninteno has also given us the Power Glove and R.O.B .
Nintendo didn't give us the Power Glove; Mattel did.
Old 08-13-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderball
Non HD NFL was never a problem before I got my HDTV, it is now. Thats all i'm saying with that point.
And, like I said, that's the only point you'd have a valid concern with now. I understand that. But, at least in the case of the NFL and Madden, you have the HD version on the 360 and the new controls on the Wii. You'll just have to take your pick which is more important. To each his own.
Old 08-13-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My X-Box gets all my time while my GameCube and PS2 are either sitting there or boxed away but on occasion I'll play them. I think the same will be with 360, Wii, and the PS3. There will be games exclusive for each I know I'll want to play and that's enough for me to buy all three, eventually.
Old 08-13-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
HD and DD sound ->>> Very important to Giantrobo's gaming experience
Gimmicky controllers, cutesy poot kiddy games, and Retro gaming->>> NOT important to Giantrobo's gaming experience.

But still, in this day and age does one really have to make a choice? Just get them both if you can afford it. I just recently had some things happen in my life where I'll have the money for Wii when it hits. I'm not a huge Nintendo fan and cute games typical of Japanese systems no longer hold my interest, but if Wii has some really good stuff I'll pick it up for shits and giggles and I'll set it up right next to my 360. Sure why not.

There really shouldn't be any dilemma and there's certainly no need to be loyal or exclusionary to ANY game system. I LOVE my 360 but that won't keep me from adding a system IF that system can catch my fancy.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-13-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-13-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Im all about the HD graphics and surround sound, but the fact that you can "swing" the Wii controller to simulate playing baseball, tennis or golf has me absolutely sold!
Old 08-13-06, 11:58 AM
Retired

When you have multiple systems, some of them will gather dust when the heavy hitters come out on the others.

When Halo 3 is out, your Wii will gather dust. When a mario, zelda etc. comes out, your 360 will gather dust.

Think of it this way. A 360 and a Wii combined will cost about the same (or less) than the PS3. Its the ideal combo for people that want mainstream games (sports, racing, FPS, Action etc.) and some off beat games, platformers etc.
Old 08-13-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah Mr Hinkle, very true. Thts the point of www.wii60.com isn't it? The PS3 is overpriced. Although thinking about it, its a Blu Ray DVD player. Which those are usualy quite expensive aren't they? Anyway I digress.

I do want both, I just worry that, I'm spending, well quite frankly, too much on game systems and not enough on software, if that makes sense.
Old 08-13-06, 02:10 PM
Banned

"Swinging" the controller for baseball, golf and tennis games sounds really lame.
Old 08-13-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Theres' no way I'm not getting a Wii. Even if it only has 5 games.

And as long as Assassin's Creed is a PS3 exclusive (unlikely), I will get a Ps3. Luckily that's not until 2007, so I won't have to sell one of my two remaining pancreases.
Old 08-13-06, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey T-ball. I have a 360 and love it. But even with one of the system's best looking games coming out right around the Wii launch (Gears of War), I fully expect my 360 to be gathering dust from the day I get the Wii. Everyone I know is excited for the Wii, and HD be damned (and this is from a guy who bought an HD DVD player because he was sick of watching Unforgiven in SD).

I said it in the Wii thread, and I'll say it here: Of all the last-gen systems, the GC had the best graphics on my 55" widescreen HDTV. The Wii is twice as powerful as the GC, so I will have no problems with the graphics.
Old 08-13-06, 04:43 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've been a Nintendo fanboy since I was a kid, although I've kind of given up all the fanboyism as of late. I never expected to buy a 360, but I bought one on impulse, and I'm loving it. It's got a lot of great games and I love XBOX LIVE. The Arcade is an incredible idea as well.

I got about $350 Canadian for Christmas last year, and there was nothing that I wanted to buy. So, I just decided that I would put it away for a Wii (it was the only next generation system I planned to buy at launch. This was before I got my 360; however, I never used any of that money for my 360.) I've still got that fund and I put $50 of it down on a Wii pre-order at Toys 'R Us. For $400 CAD, I'm getting the system, an extra controller, and two games (I don't know what they are yet, but I'm hoping they're good.) I'm number 9 on the list, so I hope that I can get it the day it launches.

Graphics aren't everything. I'm starting to get sick of hearing about how all everyone cars about these days is graphics. Sure, games with great graphics look nice, but they aren't the deciding factor in whether or not a game is good. Gameplay is much more important, and I'm sure that many of the Wiis games (which will no doubt be inferior in the graphics department to the PS3/360) will have better gameplay, and will be more fun. Nintendo never fails to deliver great systems that have a lot of great games.
Old 08-13-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The lack of HD does not bother me for the wii. The type of games that I will buy the wii for won't really demand HD, imo.
Old 08-13-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the whining about HD graphics being a game killer. Please.

I recently went from a 19" CRT monitor on my computer at 1024x768 or 1280x960 to a 24" widescreen Sony CRT and gaming at 1920x1200 (with a shiny new $70 investment in a video card as well).

Is the extra resolution nice when I'm playing Guild Wars, Quake 4, or Civilization 4? Yes. But you know what?

They're the same games, and they're pretty much just about the same amount of fun that they were before I doubled the number of pixels on the screen. Maybe 10-15% more fun. Tops. It's the game, not the hi-rez graphics, that's important.

I'm going Wii this generation. I've gotten Sony first since the PS1, and ran almost Sony exclusive up until my wife got us the Gamecube about 9 months after release.

I've got better things to do with $400-$600 than buy a frickin game console. I'll get the 360 or the PS3 when they approach $200. $400-$600 + an extra controller for ~$40 + a few games for $60...we're looking at big money here.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-13-06 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-14-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm be getting both the Wii and a PS3. I'd would otherwise have considered a 360 but the lure of the Iron Fist tournament is just too strong.
Old 08-14-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
All the whining about HD graphics being a game killer. Please.
You may be sick of it, but you can't ignore the fact that many consider HD an important feature. Will it keep many from getting Wii? Probably not, but it is something that sticks in the minds of those not in love with the mighty Nintendo.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-14-06 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-14-06, 03:58 AM
Banned

HD gaming is seriously amazing. I dont understand the hate against it, why cant you have awesome gameplay AND HD Graphics? Seriously, if i want outdated graphics, id bust out a SNES and go to town. Games should look AMAZING at this point, and still be fun. You can have both.
Old 08-14-06, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
And as long as Assassin's Creed is a PS3 exclusive (unlikely), I will get a Ps3. Luckily that's not until 2007, so I won't have to sell one of my two remaining pancreases.
Assassin's Creed is coming to 360.
Old 08-14-06, 04:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
HD gaming is seriously amazing. I dont understand the hate against it, why cant you have awesome gameplay AND HD Graphics? Seriously, if i want outdated graphics, id bust out a SNES and go to town. Games should look AMAZING at this point, and still be fun. You can have both.
We're not hating on it. We're just saying it's possible to have great gameplay without it, which is exactly what the Wii promises. Honestly, I'm more excited about the applications of the new controller far more than HD graphics.
Old 08-14-06, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
HD and DD sound ->>> Very important to Giantrobo's gaming experience
Gimmicky controllers, cutesy poot kiddy games, and Retro gaming->>> NOT important to Giantrobo's gaming experience.

...I'm not a huge Nintendo fan and cute games typical of Japanese systems no longer hold my interest, but if Wii has some really good stuff I'll pick it up for shits and giggles and I'll set it up right next to my 360. Sure why not.
This is my opinion as well. I will probably pick up a Wii for my sons, so I'll be able to check it out, but I feel that the flood of Mario games that will infest the Wii, just like the GameCube, will be mediocre graphics (for what the system has potential to produce) and the same story, gameplay, look, and feel as the GC & N64.

I love the 360, and while I'm NOT a big Sony fan, I will be picking up a PS3. In my opinion, THIS generation of consoles should move past the "cute poot kiddy games" for the most part. Everyone's so excited about the Wii, but let's face it, Mario will look the exact same as he did since the N64, and they will whore him out on as many game titles as they can, just like on the GC.

Everyone seems to love the Mario titles, no matter what they are--Golf, soccer, baseball, etc... but I can just imagine the console bashing if the 360 came out with games like "Master Chief Beach Volleyball", "Master Chief & Arbiter-Partners in Time", or "Halo Putt-Putt", yet it's welcomed with every Mario title like it's some monumentous ground breaking event every time a new game comes out...I just don't get it.

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 08-14-06 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-14-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000

Everyone seems to love the Mario titles, no matter what they are--Golf, soccer, baseball, etc... but I can just imagine the console bashing if the 360 came out with games like "Master Chief Beach Volleyball", "Master Chief & Arbiter-Partners in Time", or "Halo Putt-Putt", yet it's welcomed with every Mario title like it's some monumentous ground breaking event every time a new game comes out...I just don't get it.
I think if the gameplay was there, people would play them. Just because you think that Mario should go away doesn't mean that its the majority opinion. I don't think people think Mario Golf is "ground-breaking", but I bet if you polled people with the game, they would say that it's FUN, which, last I checked, was the whole point of playing games in the first place. Fun is different things to different people. You hate Mario, other love it... no big deal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.