Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Help figure out the title of this movie: A friend requested this

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-10-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the information that I was given:

i once watched a movie, a fairly long time ago, where this girl was in a boarding school or something and she ended up sneaking out one night and walking through the woods, past this either fence or a brick wall or something

and she found an abandoned house... she kept going back there day after day as much as she could sneak out. she kept fixing up the house. one part i remember really well was her taking stencils to the wall to make a border or something

does that sound familiar at all? i'd love to see that movie again but i can't find absolutely anything based on that. i don't know the name or what it'd sound like or anything.
They say that they first saw it on HBO back in 92-93 or so.
Old 08-11-06, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a long shot but "Paperhouse"?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0098061/
Old 08-11-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone at IMDB responded to me with the following:

I could be wrong but it might be Back Home (1990) (TV) imdb.com/title/tt0099084

Was the girl's name Rusty and did she have red hair? I looked for this movie a while ago and I believe it is the same movie I'm thinking of and that you are thinking of. But I haven't seen it in 15 years or so so I haven't been able to confirm it.

edit:

I looked for some reviews of the book the movie is based on. This is the best I could find with a description of the house.

This book is about a 13-year-old girl, Rusty, who comes back to England, after being evacuated to America for six years. Her real name is Virginia, and she got the name Rusty from the color of her hair. She takes a long time in getting used to even her mother, and takes difficulty in communicating with others because of her American accent. She is persuaded to go to a boarding school that she hates because no one likes her. The school is all proper and nice, that you can't use slang at all, which is very common in the US. Her fellow students think that she is an 'American' girl, and they all hate her American accent. When her father comes back from after six years on the battlefield, she is forced to stay at weekends as well. When she unexpectedly meets up with a boy who was also evacuated, they become friends and meet up about twice in a week at the 'Cabin in the Woods', a house that was bombed. The boy, Lance, and Rusty reach each other things and gradually remember what a real friendship is like. Rusty even "ditched" school at weekends to go to the "Cabin in the Woods", to redecorate it to make it feel more cozy and like home. She decides to run away to America because she thinks that no one likes her; even her own parents.
I told my friend all of that, and they think that this is the answer. Thanks for the help though zaphod2467. I'll let her know about that one, and even if that's not right, it still sounds like a film that is worth checking out.