Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Equilibrium: I don't get it?! (SPOILERS)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, awesome movie, I love it, BUT:

When Preston walks into Father's office to kill him, Father says "Careful Preston, you are treading on my dreams". How did Father know that Partridge had read the Yeats poem(s ) and recited one to Preston?

Please, details...I don't get it. I think the theory that Partridge was planted and that it was setup right from the first scene is out-there...it doesn't seem consistent.
I mean, if it were so that Partridge was planted, why show the close-ups of him watching the Mona Lisa burn ALONE, and why show Patridge "studying" Prestons face before Preston goes Gun-kata crazy?
And also, they had no idea whether Preston would pick up on it. And why would Partridge, who seemed to be a genuiine sense offender (unlike Brandt and Father who were by definition sense offenders, but in control, making them not offenders) even go along with it?

I always thought the Librian opressors picked up on Preston at the puppy scene, where Preston shows a deal of emotion.

Last edited by Parcher; 08-10-06 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-10-06, 07:10 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out where the damn puppy went the whole time Preston's house was being searched...
Old 08-10-06, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im sure preston wrote a report about the incident with his partner.

as for the dog, i bet it was hidden in the wall with his pills
Old 08-10-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stu 17
im sure preston wrote a report about the incident with his partner.

as for the dog, i bet it was hidden in the wall with his pills
Actually the first part makes sense. Yeah, they have to report everything back. Makes sense.

Second part, he just released it in the Nether.
Old 08-10-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Parcher
Please, details...I don't get it. I think the theory that Partridge was planted and that it was setup right from the first scene is out-there...it doesn't seem consistent.
I don't think Partridge was planted. Rather, he was originally the cleric that the gov was monitoring to locate the resistence. Preston actually got in the way when he found Partridge out. I believe the Underground mentioned they had been trying to get a cleric on their side for a while.
Old 08-10-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Equilibrium is one movie I do my best to turn my brain off because the visuals are incredible but the plot is well all over the place.
Old 08-10-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Equilibrium is one movie I do my best to turn my brain off because the visuals are incredible but the plot is well all over the place.
I agree. It bugged the hell out of me that the Taye Diggs character showed more emotion than anyone I've seen. After I decided to ignore his constant grin and emoting and just enjoy the action.
Old 08-10-06, 08:32 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Parcher
Second part, he just released it in the Nether.
Not possible--you see the dog with Preston's children at home at the close of the movie.