Surface - The Series

Haunted Highway

V for Vendetta

Threshold - The Series

Poseidon
Old 08-08-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to be the same way. Granted I have different tastes, but summers were horrible for my wallet. But you know, eventually you get locked into a place where space is an issue, and so is money. I don't know how old you are or what your expenses are, but eventually you may find yourself in a position where you need to only pick out the most important releases for you. Take it from experience, better to learn the lesson now then when you have to, it's hard to go close to cold turkey compared to getting almost all on a wishlist like that.
Old 08-08-06, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I used to be the same way. Granted I have different tastes, but summers were horrible for my wallet. But you know, eventually you get locked into a place where space is an issue, and so is money. I don't know how old you are or what your expenses are, but eventually you may find yourself in a position where you need to only pick out the most important releases for you. Take it from experience, better to learn the lesson now then when you have to, it's hard to go close to cold turkey compared to getting almost all on a wishlist like that.
Or wait for pricedrops, which occur after a couple of months. Or buy them used.
Old 08-08-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good advice. I feel your passion for wanting all of those releases. Hell, man, I was buying up to 10 a week, every week for a very long time and loved talking about my library here on DVDTalk. Even I, Gut, realized that building a library was hard work and drained the ole' money stash. Then other things started to interfere with my building. Health issues and a new hobby have slowed things down big time. Plus...I finally got to a point where the foundation of my library was complete and buying was allowed to slow down to maybe only 2 a week. I still have a long way to go until I feel complete....but it's much easier now. Thats good because my newest passion of kayaking and whitewater playboating is sucking up most my $. Collecting kayaks and running off to the backwaters of Canada and northern Mn. costs a hell of a lot more than collecting dvds.

One of these days I'll update my library link. I've bought around 250 dvds without updating so I'm sitting somewhere around 2,600 titles. Still important are dvds and collecting them....but it's just not priority any longer. I'll get them when I get them....there is, at last, no rush.

Yeah, it's killing yer wallet to buy all those dvds....but you know you love it. Been there bud....and I applaud you.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 08-08-06 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-08-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Good advice. I feel your passion for wanting all of those releases. Hell, man, I was buying up to 10 a week, every week for a very long time and loved talking about my library here on DVDTalk. Even I, Gut, realized that building a library was hard work and drained the ole' money stash. Then other things started to interfere with my building. Health issues and a new hobby have slowed things down big time. Plus...I finally got to a point where the foundation of my library was complete and buying was allowed to slow down to maybe only 2 a week. I still have a long way to go until I feel complete....but it's much easier now. Thats good because my newest passion of kayaking and whitewater playboating is sucking up most my $. Collecting kayaks and running off to the backwaters of Canada and northern Mn. costs a hell of a lot more than collecting dvds.

One of these days I'll update my library link. I've bought around 250 dvds without updating so I'm sitting somewhere around 2,600 titles. Still important are dvds and collecting them....but it's just not priority any longer. I'll get them when I get them....there is, at last, no rush.

Yeah, it's killing yer wallet to buy all those dvds....but you know you love it. Been there bud....and I applaud you.
agreed. since i have gotten over 300 dvds, i have really started to try to slow down my purchases alot. now mostly criterions and tv shows on dvd and the occasional new release that i really want to get right away. love collecting though so i can't blame you.
Old 08-08-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
And summer's usually the slow release months...

I'm renting more now (holding out for HD purchases next yr) The only SD purchases I see myself getting are the Simpsons sets.
Old 08-08-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They're slow release months, but usually big for TV on DVD.
Old 08-08-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
Or buy them used.
Hastings' "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" on $9.99 Clearance Rentals has saved my wallet.
Old 08-08-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm very picky though about what I own with DVD's as far as them being used, I can't stand a mark on them. So used DVD's for me are pretty hopeless.

But again, as you'll see people say all over this forum, the best thing to do is only get the DVD's you know you'll like the most. Think about your purchases. Do you really really REALLY want it? Do you need it? Even waiting a little while helps, not just for sales, but if you find yourself still really wanting it... go for it.

I know what it's like, to be looking in from the outside saying 'oh whatever it's no big deal, besides, I love my DVD collection and want it to grow even more'. Eventually you will run into space problems. When I lived at home, I just had DVD's all over my room. On racks and stuff but none-the-less, in an apartment or even a house... you don't want to make it look all cluttered. Sure you can buy cool storage solutions that hold a lot of DVD's like those 700+ storage DVD spinner racks that save space, but they cost a bit of money. Just filter what you buy. Again, I know from experience.
Old 08-08-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Getting married and going back to school have slowed my habits. I used to work at a store in a strip mall in front of a Best Buy, so DVDs were like my unwinding addiction. I have nowhere near as many as everyone here (just a shade under 200), and I normally only buy on sale items. However, B1G1 deals like BB is running this week and the $3.99 deals make it hard to stop. I've actually reverted back to my love of music and CDs recently as I'm trying to rebuild my back catalog of music that I sold for cash in college...
Old 08-08-06, 08:35 PM

I Agree with the op. I'm in the same boat. What I got/getting when released
Good times season 6
V for Vendetta Target SE
Inside man
the wire season 3
Daman wayans last stand
Prison Break
The Jeffersons
Simpsons season 8 Maggid Head
Scary Movie 4 (even though it sucked i gotta complete the set)
Silent Hill
Poseidon SE
The Wizard
South Park season 8
PLUS whatever good dvd sales that come out. That hurt my wallet even more now that I'm re reading this.
Old 08-08-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know how you feel. I have a huge wishlist however Movie Gallery's 3 for $25 and B2G2F fales keep it from being alot worse. I used to buy the movies new. Now I buy them like this....
TVShows & 2-Disc Editions-Retailers or Online Retailers
Movies-Wait for the used rental copies
That is just what I do. Alot better for me it is.
Old 08-09-06, 09:26 AM

I've been getting more patient waiting on the 3.99 sales many are doing to buy titles I"ve wanted.

Fair warning which you may already know about the Threshold,Invasion,and Surface shows.

All three have been canceled.

I was into Surface and Invasion and I really didn't feel I got closure at the end of the season. So basically you'd be buying 3 impcomplete shows. I was going to buy these and then started thinking about how ticked I am for them canceling the show.
Old 08-09-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I´m only tempted to buy one of those picturet in the 1st post. August will be a cheap month for me.
Old 08-09-06, 04:32 PM

for me, I would rather pay the $10-$15 on buying a dvd and own the movie than go pay $12 [for just the ticket] to go see the movies once in the theater.
Old 08-09-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by luckybamboo
for me, I would rather pay the $10-$15 on buying a dvd and own the movie than go pay $12 [for just the ticket] to go see the movies once in the theater.
Exactly. Some folks go to one or two movies a week. That's $30 - $60 a month and twice that if you take a date. If you spend that on DVDs instead, you're way ahead in my book. If storage is an issue, just give the DVDs away or sell them once you watch them. You'll still be ahead of the theater experience, where the only thing you have to show for the money is a torn ticket stub.
Old 08-09-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to be really bad about DVDs as well, but moving out to college, I quickly had to learn to pick only the most important releases... and basically I got netflix to movies and TV shows that I want to watch, but know won't have replay value, and for the expensive sets I put them on birthday/xmas list (im kinda lucky since my bday in mid-september)...
Old 08-09-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This month isnt too bad, Next month will be worse!

This month:
V for Vendetta
Hellraiser III
Silent Hill
Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old men WS finally!
Romancing / Jewel of the Nile SE's!!
Old 08-09-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buying the 1st week released Exclusive Packagings!