Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion Newsletter August 2006 Version

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Criterion Newsletter August 2006 Version

Forgotten no more, Stuart Cooper’s 1975 Overlord is enjoying a highly successful theatrical release from Janus Films across the nation. A D-Day depiction like no other, Overlord, writes A.O. Scott in the New York Times, “deserves to join the pantheon of essential World War II combat movies.” Shot by Stanley Kubrick’s famed cinematographer John Alcott, the film follows one young man’s experiences in the war, mixing fiction and documentary footage into one sensory experience. Overlord opened in New York in July and moves to Boston’s Brattle Theatre and San Francisco’s Balboa Theatre in late August, before making its way throughout the United States. Expect a Criterion special edition DVD of Overlord early next year
Old 08-07-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Janus Flms - I believe I read that the "sidebar" to the NY Film Festival (Sep 29-Oct 15) will be screenings of many Janus films at the Walter Reade Theater. Full schedule not available yet.
Old 08-07-06, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that a finger growing out the side of that upper-left-hand-corner mouse? Deformed mice....could this mean a Criterion release of The Food of the Gods?
Old 08-07-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nycbrent
Is that a finger growing out the side of that upper-left-hand-corner mouse? Deformed mice....could this mean a Criterion release of The Food of the Gods?
I worshipped the movie as a kid.
Old 08-07-06, 09:25 PM
Banned

Nope. Those are Chas Tenenbaum's mice. Criterion likes to use animals that have appeared in their collection to say messages like the one above.
Old 08-07-06, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
Nope. Those are Chas Tenenbaum's mice. Criterion likes to use animals that have appeared in their collection to say messages like the one above.
My comment was meant to be sarcastic, although there IS a fingertip coming out of that mouse's neck...
Old 08-07-06, 09:35 PM
Banned

My comment was meant to be sarcastic, although there IS a fingertip coming out of that mouse's neck...
My bad.
Old 08-07-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
So this 'one book, one box' thing ... just some teaser?
Old 08-07-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you mean the curve of its tail' by 'fingertip,' then yes, yes it is.
Old 08-08-06, 01:39 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

"Overlord" sounds really interesting. I might blind-buy it.
Old 08-08-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by renaldow
If you mean the curve of its tail' by 'fingertip,' then yes, yes it is.

No, the tail is on the left. Look at the rear right leg (right where the word balloon tab is pointing to).
It does look like a fingertip.
Old 08-08-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The "fingertip" mouse

The tail curves to the mouse's left (viewer's right) and then turns back right (viewer's left), giving the illusion of a fingertip.

It's not one of those crazy genetic mutation mice that scientists have been known to mingle with.
Old 08-08-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a weird coincidence - I've got my finger on a mouse right now.
Old 08-08-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And those are Chas' mice.

The "Janus Films: 50 Years/50 Films" thing is probably a reference to the 44th New York Film Festival (September 29 – October 15, 2006) Retrospective: "50 Years of Janus Films" "Working in conjunction with Janus Films and Criterion, the retrospective will screen new prints of almost all the presented films."

No idea what "the book" might be.

Back to Chas' mice - could we be looking at a Wes Anderson boxset? Maybe including the three films already released and "Bottle Rocket"?
Old 08-08-06, 02:30 PM

I've been waiting for this since Z CHANNEL. Nice.
Old 08-08-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can we have at least one Criterion thread without the mention of Bottle Rocket?

I guess not.
Old 08-08-06, 03:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Criterion should give credit where it's due - 'Overlord' opened in DC before it's New York City engagement in late June at AFI's Silver Theatre.
Old 08-08-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Can we have at least one Criterion thread without the mention of Bottle Rocket?

I guess not.
Well, it's the first time I've ever brought it up, but I've seen this title rumored before. Given the big clue in the newsletter (once again for the slower folks... Chas' mice), it seems to me to be as good a guess as anything posted thusfar. A longshot, to be sure, but there's something Andersonian afoot at Criterion, no? Anyway, seemed apropos to me.

And that was hardly my only contribution. I think I correctly identified the "50 years/50 films" thing. That is to say, I'm not just posting "bottle rocket bottle rocket bottle rocket" every chance I get.

But that's all a much too considerate and reasonable response for a dickhead like you, popcorn. You can disregard the foregoing, and go fuck yourself.
Old 08-08-06, 04:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy

But that's all a much too considerate and reasonable response for a dickhead like you, popcorn. You can disregard the foregoing, and go fuck yourself.
harsh aren't we... ?
Old 08-08-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Overlord looks like a blind buy for me. Mixing fiction and documentary footage..hmmm, should be interesting.
Old 08-08-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Overlord looks like a blind buy for me. Mixing fiction and documentary footage..hmmm, should be interesting.
certainly does sound interesting. am i also curious to see what this 50 years, 50 films thing is like also.
Old 08-08-06, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Wow! What a bitter response. But I did laugh.

On topic, though. Oooh. What if the box is a Best of Janus 50 film boxset, not unlike the monstrosity that Amazon sold a few years ago? There would be some serious double dips in there, but it would look impressive.

However, if it is an Anderson box, I hope it includes the American Express commercial.
Old 08-09-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well ... I'd probably buy a Bottle Rocket Criterion.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not sure what to think about this 50 & 50 hint. It wouldn't make a lick of sense to release a 50 Best of Janus films boxset since it's almost certain almost everyone on the Criterion newsletter probably has at least one of their top 10 Janus films. I'm clueless.
Old 08-09-06, 05:26 AM

Guys, Take a deep breath, and repeat after me:
CRITERION IS NOT RELEASING BOTTLE ROCKET.

The "animal" that gives the clue is not, itself, a clue. Criterion just picks something from the Collection. In November 2005, the clue was given by the shark from The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Did Bottle Rocket come out shortly thereafter? No.

I think the "animal" that gives the clue is just some Criterion Intern going, "Dude, wouldn't it be cool if one of the demons from Equinox gave the clue this month? Awesome!"

Back on topic, I think the 50 years, 50 films thing may just be exactly what it sounds like: A boxset of 50 Janus films from the past 50 years, plus a commemorative book. The Criterion clues are often not as enigmatic as people try to make them.
Old 08-09-06, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chucky
Back on topic, I think the 50 years, 50 films thing may just be exactly what it sounds like: A boxset of 50 Janus films from the past 50 years, plus a commemorative book. The Criterion clues are often not as enigmatic as people try to make them.
I don't think that's what it is at all. Criterion is still a rather small company, and can you imagine the price of a 50 disc boxset from them? The price would be astronomical, and most of their customer base wouldn't be able to afford it. I'm pretty sure it's something else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.