Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 02:23 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Deadwood - "Amateur Night" - 8/06/06

"Amateur Night"
Spoiler:
As Deadwood is overrun by Hearst's men, Bullock issues contingency plans to Martha. Wu, caught in a Pinkerton stampede, delivers a cryptic message to Swearengen; it takes Burns, of all people, to decipher it. Barrett makes Merrick pay for embarrassing Hearst in The Pioneer; Morgan Earp calls out one of the "Pistoleros"; Commissioner Jarry arrives from Yankton to solicit Hearst; Aunt Lou gets some bad news; and Joannie survives an encounter with her former boss. As night falls, Langrishe mines Deadwood's talent pool with an amateur-night performance in front of his future theater, financed in part by a loan from Alma's bank.
Old 08-06-06, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the Earps didn't stick around long.

There were more great one-liners in this ep than any other, loved it.

Something extremely soothing about Al singing there at the end.

I think shit's finally going to start hitting the fan. I just hope Al doesn't end up too screwed over just yet.
Old 08-06-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Awww Al wanted to be in amateur night. Jane was hilarious with her Gigantor and eclipse rants. I could not stop laughing at that entire scene.
Old 08-07-06, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought maybe the Earps would stick around and help bullock. best episode in a while. hopefully some good action follows next ep. show needs some more sex scenes like the first two seasons.
Old 08-07-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
What the hell was EB's problem with Richardson performing?

And why did Al get pissed and hit Johnny when he understood Woo?

Oh, and a big for the Wire season 4 preview.

Last edited by slop101; 08-07-06 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-07-06, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
And why did Al get pissed and hit Johnny when he understood Woo?
I think Al got pissed because dumb ass Johnny figured out what Woo was trying to say and not him.
Old 08-07-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
I couldn't figure out:

1. Why Sy was pissed at Joanie
2. Why Jane was scared of him
Old 08-07-06, 07:54 AM

I thought the way the show ended was cool with al signing. Im glad the earps are gone they were Pains.
Old 08-07-06, 08:10 AM
Suspended

So what exactly was the commissioner doing there? What was with the troops? And what was with Wu's 100 or whatever people?
Old 08-07-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Summary

Spoiler:
Early morning. The Earp brothers are evicted from the Bella Union after their night of whoring. Seth gives Martha the combination to the store safe, in case of any "eventualities," which she understands as being "threatened by the arrival of those men last night." And Joanie and Mose prepare the new schoolhouse for the arrival of the children.

Meanwhile, Hearst makes it clear to his lieutenant, Barrett, that the camp is to know his new gunmen have arrived - and he'd have no objection if the knowledge was transmitted by a disruption of traffic in the thoroughfare. He also orders the discomfiture of Merrick.

Swearengen discusses with Dority, Adams and Burns the Pinkertons who have been hired by Hearst, and whether there are remaining options for reinforcements. They are interrupted by several pistoleros riding through camp, nearly trampling Wu. Swearengen wonders about his ability to remain unprovoked: "'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice?"

Adams visits Tolliver to find out if he has a message for Al about the arrival of the horsemen last night. Not wanting to reveal his own unease, Cy simply replies: "Tell Al since we didn't wake to the Apocalypse I s'pose we only need fear their Winchesters."

Langrishe stops by to check on Hearst's back pain and is introduced to Aunt Lou. Hearst asks what Swearengen's reaction was to the arrivals last night and Langrishe begs to remain neutral.

Trixie goes to the bank to make a deposit, and notes Alma's "clearness of the eye." Langrishe arrives at the bank to deposit $4000 and borrow the same amount, suggesting that knowledge that he was borrowing from the bank to remodel the Chez Ami into a theater, would prove his intentions to lay roots in the camp. She approves the "loan" and he invites her to the Amateur Night his troupe is hosting that evening.

The General deposits the comatose Steve in a wheelbarrow at the Number Ten, over Harry Manning's objections. The General then gets the clear from Alma of any obligation to the livery. He is free to go.

Morgan complains about being unceremoniously kicked out of the whore house that morning, and snarls at the pistoleros making trouble. Wyatt tries to keep him focused on their timber lease. But as they drive through camp Morgan is provoked by one of the pistoleros and vows he'll see him that afternoon.

Wu draws pictures as Burns and Dority try to discern their meaning. And Adams reports back to Al that Cy seems to be on the outside of Hearst's plans, along with them. "We out to form a f**king club."

Barrett arrives at the Pioneer office, claiming he's there to write an article. When Merrick questions him, he beats Merrick and leaves, while Blazanov watches, petrified.

Burns figures from Wu's drawing that he is holding his men outside Custer City because "Swedgin" and Hearst are on the outs. Al socks Burns for having solved it -- then praises Wu for clever precautionary thinking.

Langrishe continues spreading the word Amateur Night, including Utter and Joanie.

Jarry and Adams feel each other out on whether they are on equal footing. "Pretty taut line Mister Jarry, not knowing how deep your hook's set..." muses Adams. Adams wonders how deep $500 would set it, and Adams insists he hand it over to see.

Blazanov brings Merrick to the Gem to be seen by Doc Cochran. Al figures Hearst was behind the beating and Blazanov hands over another telegram intended for Hearst, for Al to read in advance.

Morgan shoots the pistolero who provoked him earlier and Bullock rushes to keep things from escalating, Wyatt rushes to the pistolero and places his gun outside his holster, so he may claim the fight was fair. When Barrett arrives, claiming his man had orders not to draw, Bullock arrests him for "interfering with a f**king peace officer" and hauls the Earps off for questioning as well.

Hearst seeks details of Merrick's beating from Barrett. Blazanov delivers Hearst's telegram and Hearst goes to deliver the news to Aunt Lou: Odell is dead, found on the road to Rapid City.

Mose finds Jane, passed out. He orders her to get up and accompany the children to the new schoolhouse with Joanie.

The Earps give their statement that both men drew simultaneously. Having admitted that their timber lease is worth "f**k all," Bullock presses the Earps to "move on" and Wyatt agrees.

Meanwhile, Joanie and Jane lead the children to the new school house as the camp watches; the Sheriff rushes to join Martha to walk with her.

The camp gathers for Amateur Night. "Tonight we will be the audience to you" announces Langrishe, as the camp people parade their tricks of balance, song and juggling.

Hearst orders Aunt Lou not prepare dinner in her grief. Jarry briefs Hearst on the number of soldiers bivouacked near Sturgis, and others in the hills, in case they are needed, to back Hearst's preferred candidates for office. Parry says Governor Pennington requires a note confirming they spoke, which Hearst reluctantly agrees to.

Cy frightens Joanie and Jane who are sweeping up the school house. Jane runs off to fetch protection from Mose. Cy refuses Joanie's order that he leave, but agrees when Mose and Jane return.

Al performs his own sad ballad on Amatuer Night...to an audience of none, alone at the Gem.
Old 08-07-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Also, I have to admit to finding the image of Richarson comforting Aunt Lou pretty damn funny.
Old 08-07-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bralph
I couldn't figure out:

1. He wants control over her.d
2. Sy freaked Jane out in season 1 when Jane tried to confront him. Jane basically broke down in fear of him.
Old 08-07-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by bralph
I couldn't figure out:

It was revealed in S1 that Jane had been abused and sexually assaulted as a child, and is completely terrified of certian men...remember when she cried like a baby and let Al walk right up to Sofia when she was protecting her from him?
Old 08-07-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by aktick
So what exactly was the commissioner doing there? What was with the troops? And what was with Wu's 100 or whatever people?
The commissioner was taking a bribe from Hearst in exchange for moving 200 soilders into Deadwood on Election Day to vote for the canidates of Hearst's choice.
Old 08-07-06, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
The commissioner was taking a bribe from Hearst in exchange for moving 200 soilders into Deadwood on Election Day to vote for the canidates of Hearst's choice.
Aaah, thanks. Has Hearst actually said who he wants? Or have those people not been "announced" yet?
Old 08-07-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That whole Odell story line was kind of unclear.

Are we to assume that Herst had him killed? If so the motive was not all that clear.
Old 08-07-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Good to see confusion from other folks.
Old 08-07-06, 03:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

"It's me"

"Who's me? The fucking eclipse"

I thought it was a pretty good episode. The stuff with Wu and the conversation between Jerry and Adams was good

Bringing in the Earps was pointless.

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
That whole Odell story line was kind of unclear.

Are we to assume that Herst had him killed? If so the motive was not all that clear.
I thought they were making the point by Aunt Lou trying to keep Odell away from Hearst that she knew he was trying to scam Hearst, Hearst was to smart to fall for it, and he would have Odell killed
Old 08-07-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
I thought they were making the point by Aunt Lou trying to keep Odell away from Hearst that she knew he was trying to scam Hearst, Hearst was to smart to fall for it, and he would have Odell killed
She thought he was going to run a scam, but I think he was honest about his presentation. But dealing with Hearst still got her son killed, he was going to NY on Hearst's orders.
Old 08-08-06, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
What the hell was EB's problem with Richardson performing?
I assumed that EB likes to have a feeling of superiority over Richardson and didn't like the idea that his act was popular with the crowd.
Old 08-08-06, 08:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
She thought he was going to run a scam, but I think he was honest about his presentation. But dealing with Hearst still got her son killed, he was going to NY on Hearst's orders.
See this is what is unclear. Hearst loves gold!! That is why he goes from find to find instead of sitting in some big house on the hill. Why would he have him killed if his Odell's group found gold? He could have come into camp and hired someone to kill Alma if that is how he wants to get his claims. But we see that he is quirky, not someone that is a cut throat, going into towns like a Viking raping, killing, an pillaging everything he sees. He came into Deadwood with the Captain, not an army, and tried to force his way on people in a more peaceful manor. When that didn't work, now the Vikings are coming into town.

If Odell was trying to run a scam - Hearst gave him no $, and how would it hurt Hearst to send a Geologist to evaluate the claim? Which is what he was going to do. This isn't like they were buying this thing sight unseen, so why kill him?

Overall, I think that part of the story line was unclear and a waste of time.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 08-08-06 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
See this is what is unclear. Hearst loves gold!! That is why he goes from find to find instead of sitting in some big house on the hill. Why would he have him killed if his Odell's group found gold? He could have come into camp and hired someone to kill Alma if that is how he wants to get his claims. But we see that he is quirky, not someone that is a cut throat, going into towns like a Viking raping, killing, an pillaging everything he sees. He came into Deadwood with the Captain, not an army, and tried to force his way on people in a more peaceful manor. When that didn't work, now the Vikings are coming into town.

If Odell was trying to run a scam - Hearst gave him no $, and how would it hurt Hearst to send a Geologist to evaluate the claim? Which is what he was going to do. This isn't like they were buying this thing sight unseen, so why kill him?

Overall, I think that part of the story line was unclear and a waste of time.
I meant to add that Odell's death was of no relation to Hearst, I think his initial reaction to reading the telegraph was obvious. I think it was ironic that his mother was afraid of his getting hurt by running a scam, but he was being honest and got the same result. Perhaps she feels he would still be alive had he not come to Deadwood for Hearst.
Old 08-08-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Besides every single conversation involving Jane, the funniest one in this episode was between Morgan Earp and the pistolere. Hilarious.
Old 08-10-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I kept laughing at Morgan Earp because they played him as such a fucking nitwit. Add that the kid playing him couldn't act for shit.

I love it when Bullock grabs people by the ears. Then Udder punches them through the cell.
Old 08-11-06, 02:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

We could be in for a long wait for the movies. I was reading a story about Milch on Yahoo and it mentioned if his pilot about the surfing family gets picked up he won't begin writing the movies until May of next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.