Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to Project Greenlights horror movie "Feast"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember watching it on Bravo, the movie looked pretty good and always wanted to see the final product, what happened? is it ever going to be released?
Old 08-02-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Its being released late in September of this year.
Old 08-02-06, 05:59 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From davisdvd.com:

"Feast:

Genius Products and The Weinstein Company will release Feast on October 17th. One evening at a rural bar, a motley group of patrons struggles to survive a ravenous family of flying beasts bent on devouring every last one of them. Who will survive and who will be part of the feast? Directed by John Gulager and starring Navi Rawat, Krista Allen, Balthazar Getty, Judah Friedlander and Jason Mewes, this eagerly anticipated horror film's notorious production was chronicled on the third season of Bravo's Project Greenlight series. The disc arrives with an anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, "The Making of Feast" featurette, deleted scenes and theatrical trailers. Retail will be $28.99."
Old 08-02-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That guy was pretty funny trying to cast his family into the roles.
Old 08-02-06, 07:51 PM

So much for trying to make a box office hit.
Old 08-02-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Old 08-02-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they should have released this in conjunction with season 3 on dvd and made it a little box set. I didn't even know Balizar Getty (agent Grace on Alias) was even in this.
Old 08-03-06, 07:14 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Balizar Getty
Balthazar
Old 08-03-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

they should have released this in conjunction with season 3 on dvd and made it a little box set. I didn't even know Balizar Getty (agent Grace on Alias) was even in this.
They still could...although, I have a feeling that Season 2 didn't sell well. I definitely would pick up a PG3 set and would expect it to include the film - Since the show doesn't air in Canada, I've never seen Season 3, but the first and second are among my favourite "making of's" of all time... excellent stuff.

MATT
Old 08-03-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I watched this show and enjoyed it. The film itself looks terrible. One of those movies you couldn't pay me to watch. The director (if i remember he is called John Gulager) was bloody awful as well. Running around with his head up his arse half the time, and the other half he was trying to get all his family and friends on the payroll as main players in the film. I can't believe that out of all the would-be directors that they saw and all the pitches they heard this was the best that was on offer. They probably thought it would be a cheap schlock horror film that could be the next Blair Witch in financial terms.
Old 08-03-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
I watched this show and enjoyed it. The film itself looks terrible. One of those movies you couldn't pay me to watch. The director (if i remember he is called John Gulager) was bloody awful as well. Running around with his head up his arse half the time, and the other half he was trying to get all his family and friends on the payroll as main players in the film. I can't believe that out of all the would-be directors that they saw and all the pitches they heard this was the best that was on offer. They probably thought it would be a cheap schlock horror film that could be the next Blair Witch in financial terms.
Don't forget, to make the show more entertaining PGL likes to make everyone look as bad as possible (especially the hapless "winners"). It's kind of a catch-22. PGL wants to give a new filmmaker a break into the industry, and Mirimax was hoping they might get a movie that is well-received and makes some money. But the tv-show likes drama, and makes the filmmakers look incompetent and the finished product look terrible. "Feast" looks to be the most watchable PGL movie of the bunch to me, and early screenings have been positive. I think part of the delay is that the Weinsteins actually had hopes for it (they held on to the rights). With a budget of just $3 million or so, and seeing the recent box office of even the worst horror movies, why shouldn't it be expected to make money if given any kind of promotion and a decent screen number?
Old 08-03-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, in addition to the DD sale I found out what the "massive" theatrical release is going to be (from the movie's myspace blog site):

Feast will chewing its way into 100 cities at midnight on September 22nd and 23rd! The film will play at two theaters in each city, and it will only be shown at midnight on 9/22/06 and 9/23/06. So make sure you get yourself to the theater for one of those shows! Specific cities and theaters will be announced soon... Check back for details.
Oooo, 400 total showings, only at midnight. Sounds like a recipe for big bucks to me. Did it really take a couple of years delay to come up with this? Even worse, the theatrical showings will be an edited "R" cut (with the DVD release unrated).
Old 08-03-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is the movie that violent to warrent what is an NC-17/unrated cut?
Old 08-03-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is the movie that violent to warrent what is an NC-17/unrated cut?
Did you see the "making of" series? They were literally throwing buckets of blood on the actors at some points. I'd say the answer to your question is likely "Yes". I read the script and it was quite gory (though in an over-the-top "Dead Alive"/"Evil Dead" kind of way).
Old 08-03-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't wait to view the film and put some closure on this tv/movie event.
Old 08-04-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this at the Chicago Film Festival last year with Gulager, Chris Moore and the other producers and Pete Smith in attendance. I'm a huge fan of all three Project Greenlight seasons. I hated the Shaker Heights film and though that Stolen Summer was ok.

I went in with low expectations for Feast and I was incredibly disappointed. There are one or two good laughs but you can see how the budget did not fit the screenplay. At one point these super-powerful beings are being held back by a standard interior door lock, with the drama being can they get the key into the lock soon enough. This is a couple scenes after seeing them display their incredible strength. After seeing the film it does make it more understandable why they were asking big names like Affleck to play "Hero."

The acting is all over the place, as you would expect from the cast. I did like Henry Rollins' performance as a cliched motivational speaker.
Old 08-16-06, 11:35 AM

The movie has a pretty sweet looking poster , i guess its coming to theaters "arrives in theaters for Midnight showings on September 22"

Last edited by maingon; 08-16-06 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 05:09 PM

I saw this a year or so ago at a film festival. I thought it was a decent B-movie.

-JP
Old 08-17-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
According to the New York Post today, it couldn't find a distributor and will go right to home release in October.
Old 08-17-06, 10:57 PM

Dark Horizons says it will go to theaters on midnight September 22, dont know if this is a wide release or not, then it says will be on dvd in october
Old 08-18-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
According to the New York Post today, it couldn't find a distributor and will go right to home release in October.
It always had a distrubitor. The Weinsteins took it over to The Weinstein Company once they left Miramax, they're just too fucking lazy to release it. Same shit happened with Stolen Summer and The Battle of Shaker Heights. Very limited theatrical releases that barely broke $200k domestically with a DVD release following quickly right after.

Then again, the latter two came out shortly after their respective Project Greenlight seasons ended.
Old 08-18-06, 11:06 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It always had a distrubitor. The Weinsteins took it over to The Weinstein Company once they left Miramax, they're just too fucking lazy to release it. Same shit happened with Stolen Summer and The Battle of Shaker Heights. Very limited theatrical releases that barely broke $200k domestically with a DVD release following quickly right after.

Then again, the latter two came out shortly after their respective Project Greenlight seasons ended.
Yeah, it's annoying how they handled these releases. Granted, Stolen Summer was pretty unmarketable, and Battle of Shaker Heights was ruined once the focus groups got ahold of it. But they could have gotten a decent release out of Feast, even if it was bad. Even a horror movie that bombed like Slither ($7.8 mil domestic) made about 18x what Stolen Summer and Shaker Heights made combined.
Old 10-18-06, 12:33 PM
Banned

I just saw this last night. I really enjoyed this movie. And ...HOLY GOD did this earn its unrated status. Not for the gore (which was great) but for one 2-3 second scene. I'll put a spoiler, not for those that have seen it because they have to know what scene I mean, but for the curious who don't plan to see it or who have no self control and click on spoilers with abandon.
Spoiler:
The part where the little demon pulls Harley Mom out of the bar and rapes her face until she's spurting buckets of demon splooge out of her mouth.
I could NOT believe they went there.

Also, the Jason Mewes part cracked me up.
Spoiler:
mostly because it was supposed to be him in real life (although IMDB lists him as "Edgy Cat" his character's name was Jason Mewes, Occupation: Actor.

Very good movie that did a great job of playing against cliche (almost predictably sometimes).
Old 10-18-06, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kudama
I just saw this last night. I really enjoyed this movie. And ...HOLY GOD did this earn its unrated status. Not for the gore (which was great) but for one 2-3 second scene. I'll put a spoiler, not for those that have seen it because they have to know what scene I mean, but for the curious who don't plan to see it or who have no self control and click on spoilers with abandon.
Spoiler:
The part where the little demon pulls Harley Mom out of the bar and rapes her face until she's spurting buckets of demon splooge out of her mouth.
I could NOT believe they went there.

Also, the Jason Mewes part cracked me up.
Spoiler:
mostly because it was supposed to be him in real life (although IMDB lists him as "Edgy Cat" his character's name was Jason Mewes, Occupation: Actor.

Very good movie that did a great job of playing against cliche (almost predictably sometimes).
I agree. I watched this last night for the first time and really enjoyed it. I laughed out loud about a half dozen times I think. I rarely do that in straight comedies, much less horror comedies. This movie has very high rewatchability in my book.
Old 10-18-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it but didn't love it... I thought the first half was much better than the second half...I know they kept our view of the creatures sparse because of budgetary reasons, but sometimes the quick cutting and lack of knowing exactly what we were looking at bugged the shit out of me...for a PGL movie though, very enjoyable....loved the freeze frames with description and Eric Dane's bit was hilarious.

MATT