Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Ebay hacked?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-06, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay hacked?

I went to browse the DVD section today ( http://dvd.listings.ebay.com/_W0QQfc...istingItemList ) and the first listing was x-rated in nature. This belongs in the mature audience section of ebay's listings. Curious I clicked the auction and it took me to a new webpage asking me to sign in. I noticed the web address had changed:

http://signin.ebay.now.50megs.com/eB...20Visitor.html

http://signin.ebay.now.50megs.com

Anyone know how to report this?

Last edited by OwlAtHome; 07-29-06 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 10:26 PM

Looks to have disappeared
Old 07-29-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it's back..i see it..

they're just redirecting you via html or java to their fake spoofed page..which is obviously not allowed..
Old 07-29-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they're no longer listed..ebay removed.
Old 07-29-06, 11:31 PM

I hope not too many people gave up their password.
I get fake ebay emails all the time and I know how to spot them easily, I had never seen an attempt to gain account access like this before.
Old 07-30-06, 07:50 AM
Suspended

Yep, I've seen this going on for a while now. There's a guy who is a power seller with his own website & he gives a tutorial about this problem on ebay. I'll have to see if I can find the link.
Old 07-30-06, 08:10 AM
Suspended

Well, I can't find the streaming media tutorial this guy did, but I did find some news at CNet dated March of this year : http://news.com.com/Phishers+set+hid...3-6056687.html
Old 08-02-06, 05:42 PM

I had my seller account hacked yesterday. Someone listed 33 auctions under my account. It took me about 45 minutes with some live eBay Help in their Security Central to take care of the problem. I ended up changing my passwords, secret questions, etc. to prevent this again.

I always get spoof emails from "eBay" and "PayPal" and never respond to them accept forwarding them to [email protected] and/or [email protected].

Very annoying that it happened...
Old 08-03-06, 02:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by hytec
I had my seller account hacked yesterday. Someone listed 33 auctions under my account. It took me about 45 minutes with some live eBay Help in their Security Central to take care of the problem. I ended up changing my passwords, secret questions, etc. to prevent this again.

I always get spoof emails from "eBay" and "PayPal" and never respond to them accept forwarding them to [email protected] and/or [email protected].

Very annoying that it happened...

You too? Mine got hacked last Friday - I never responded to any spoof emails either, so I was rather surprised when I got home and had people asking me about these bootleg dvd sets I was apparently selling (12-13 auctions for me).

Spent most of my time contacting buyers who already paid by paypal to dispute it ASAP. Like you said, hella annoying...
Old 08-04-06, 02:10 PM

I recently looked on eBay for similar auctions like the ones falsely under my account. It turns up I found the exact same (title, price, description, etc.) 1 day auctions. The person that was "selling" them had edited the title to say "Do Not Bid" & "False Auction" so people would not bother bidding/buying. I looked under his name and he had 33 auctions...the exact same amount as I did. eBay really needs to take care of this problem!!!

After I had gone through their live help and had everything taken care of, they sent me a survey and some of the questions pertained to if I felt safe using eBay in the future as a result of what happened. I answered all the questions that dealt with safety with a big NO.

The only question I have is say if someone wasn't paying attention and fraudulant auctions were put under their account. Then they end with someone buying the false product. If the person who won the auction pays for it, who gets the money?? Does the person hacking eBay have something set up so the money goes into their pockets or are they just doing this because they can and annoy people like us???
Old 08-05-06, 10:47 AM

My account was hacked into yesterday and 16 auctions were put up. I haven't used or logged into my E-bay account since March 2005, so it wasn't a direct action of mine that led to the hack.

I changed password and security question, but also changed my bank account as listed so that I can't get charged the listing fees. Of course I reported it to E-bay and also spent about 20 minutes de-listing the 16 auctions. Pain in the butt... Thankfully I happened to catch it about a half hour after the auctions were put up, so I didn't have any bids to rescind or buyers to contact.
Old 08-05-06, 01:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I had 35 auctions put up on an account I haven't used in 3 years. Took me an hour to fix it. My new account with my wife had some kind of problem, because Ebay asked us to change the password.
Old 08-07-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonG617
I had 35 auctions put up on an account I haven't used in 3 years. Took me an hour to fix it. My new account with my wife had some kind of problem, because Ebay asked us to change the password.

Ditto here. Wow, this is quite the outbreak. It was my old account, I've been using my Half.com account since the merge, but it's still really upsetting. Anyone have a clue how this happened, and if someone really got ahold of our passwords or was just able to hack into the system somehow? I changed my password, but it seems like the hacker would have done that first to prevent me coming in to kill the auctions in the first place.

I sent an email to Ebay about it and contacted the victims (who had all payed by the time I got to it). Will killing an hour with customer service via Ebay Live make much difference at this point?
Old 08-07-06, 06:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I would talk with Ebay Live to make sure you don't get stuck with the seller fees. It really only took me 15 minutes to talk with them.
Old 08-07-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

last week i had some asshole list over 100 world of warcraft gold money 300g-1500g all server (whatever the fuck that is) on my account from london (i'm in the us!). i never respond to the spoof email except to fwd to [email protected] took me over an hour to fix it with ebay including the hassle of changing all my passwords etc. hackers suck!
Old 08-07-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Unfortunately, this account hacking that has been happening lately doesn't seem to be isolated incidents.
There's another thread in Other, with people having the same problem.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=472365
Old 08-08-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I was looking through the forums at Ebay and there are plenty of people in the same boat. Everyone who responds is always quick to accuse the victim of falling for a phishing scam, some people blame viruses or trojans. I started getting worried about a trojan recording my keystrokes or something, but I keep reminding myself that this was an account I hadn't touched in three years. I won't go so far as to say this is an inside job at Ebay, but I'm pretty certain someone has found a way into the Ebay system and is able to list items on our accounts without the need of our passwords. Absolutely no information was changed within my account, but all of the auctions are listed as having been paid to the same Paypal account that's at a different email than my account settings, each to a different zip code.

I'm actually not even 100% certain these people will never recieve these items. They're all clearly Asian import DVDs, why would someone not just list the real thing if they were collecting money and running?
Old 08-08-06, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
last week i had some asshole list over 100 world of warcraft gold money 300g-1500g all server (whatever the fuck that is) on my account from london (i'm in the us!). i never respond to the spoof email except to fwd to [email protected] took me over an hour to fix it with ebay including the hassle of changing all my passwords etc. hackers suck!

Looks like we got hit by the same guy. Here's my post from The Other:

I woke up last Thursday Aug 3rd to an e-mail from EBay with the heading 'TKO NOTICE: Restored Account - [email protected]'. Of course I first thought it was an phishing e-mail trying to get my EBay information, so I logged onto Ebay's site, or at least I tried to. Sure enough, my password would not work.

Now I was a little worried. I got another e-mail showing that about 50 of these auctions '110017019918 World of Warcraft 300-1500 Gold WOW Money USEU' were removed. They were also in British Pounds. I was able to reset my password and had to talk with a live person to get everything fixed correctly.

Ebay handled it very well, but I wonder who did this and if it was the same people behind this, that affected all of us.

I've been on the Internet (AOL in the beginning) since 1993 and this is the first time this has ever happened to me regarding my password.

Chris
Old 08-08-06, 11:04 AM

My account got hacked on 8/3. I started getting listing confirmation for about 14 Star Trek, Friends, 24, etc. that were obviously Asian bootlegs. I thought the confirmation were phishing until I logged into my Ebay account and all 14 were there. I was able to get them deleted. I havent sold on Ebay for prolly a year. I even got a VeRO email that "my" Star Trek listings had violated copyright (or something). I noticed another auction that looked like the frauds that opened under my account, but they had changed the ST:Voyager pic to more accurately reflect the correct copyrighted images instead of the obvious boots :rollseyes:

I'm not sure how my account was hacked, but I never respond to those phish emails.
Old 08-08-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

eBay should have some sort of option where your account isn't setup to sell anything without some sort of extra verification or something. Maybe they mail you a code in the mail which you have to input or something. Obviously it would be annoying/inconvenient for some people who want to sell instantly, but I imagine it would reduce fraud a bit..
Old 08-08-06, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by pilot
eBay should have some sort of option where your account isn't setup to sell anything without some sort of extra verification or something. Maybe they mail you a code in the mail which you have to input or something. Obviously it would be annoying/inconvenient for some people who want to sell instantly, but I imagine it would reduce fraud a bit..
I was thinking that it should be based on the computer(s) that you use to place these auctions. I only use my home and work computers to do this and if there was a non invasive way of verifying the computer, this would be foolproof (?).

Chris
Old 08-08-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Speaking of phishing scams, has anyone else been receiving e-mails from eBay "buyers?"

They look like an eBay-generated question from a bidder e-mail, but aren't. I'm assuming that they're some kind of scam that sends you to a spoof page and tries to get your passwords and info.

I know that aren't legit, and that no one has put up auctions on my account because I don't have a credit card on file w/eBay.
Old 08-23-06, 06:31 PM

So, anyone else get an email from the Paramount lawyer? My account was hi-jacked a few weeks ago (they sold a bunch of bootleg tv dvd sets), and even though ebay cleared up all of false auctions and charges, I have Paramount emailing me to cease and desist selling bootlegs (pertaining to Star Trek). Email seems authentic since it listed my name and home address.

I already called the law firm and replied by email in a very unhappy & not too friendly manner, but I wanted to see if this is happening to others who got their ebay account hi-jacked.

Sheesh, one headache after another from this crap...
Old 08-23-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by hytec
I recently looked on eBay for similar auctions like the ones falsely under my account. It turns up I found the exact same (title, price, description, etc.) 1 day auctions. The person that was "selling" them had edited the title to say "Do Not Bid" & "False Auction" so people would not bother bidding/buying. I looked under his name and he had 33 auctions...the exact same amount as I did. eBay really needs to take care of this problem!!!
I don't understand this... why not just cancel all bids and end them as opposed to just changing the title?
Old 08-23-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by greydt
So, anyone else get an email from the Paramount lawyer? My account was hi-jacked a few weeks ago (they sold a bunch of bootleg tv dvd sets), and even though ebay cleared up all of false auctions and charges, I have Paramount emailing me to cease and desist selling bootlegs (pertaining to Star Trek). Email seems authentic since it listed my name and home address.

I already called the law firm and replied by email in a very unhappy & not too friendly manner, but I wanted to see if this is happening to others who got their ebay account hi-jacked.

Sheesh, one headache after another from this crap...

Probably the same bastards that got me.
They listed 254 tv dvd boxsets of the following:

Sex & The City
The Sopranos
Friends
Lost
24 Hours
X-Files

No lawyers yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.