Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw the American Idols Live Last Night

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

It was a birthday present to my wife, and I didn't have alot of expectations going in. However, I was actually pretty impressed. I would say that 8 of the 10 singers sounded great (Paris and Kellie were terrible, and I'll give kat a pass as it was her first show back and she is still recovering from vocal problems) and much improved over the show. Especially impressive was Ace's version of Maroon 5's Harder to Breathe. I wish he would stop with so much falsetto, but he showed he could rock if he wanted. Bucky was pretty good as well. Chris of course was all out rocker, and he really has alot of stage presence. Elliot can sing the lights out (funny story - as his mom made her way to the front of the audience, she got a STANDING OVATION!!). Taylor was his typical frenetic self, and man can the boy play some harp.

Impressive show, and I didn't have a half bad time. If you are on the fence, it might be worth a shot.
Old 07-29-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did Chris sing?
Old 07-29-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
What did Chris sing?
Whole Lotta Love
Wanted Dead or Alive
Renegade
Saving Me (w/ Elliot, sounded fantastic)
Old 07-30-06, 10:04 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Speaking of American Idol, I took my kids to see Kelly Clarkson last weekend here in Chicago. I thought she did very well, although there were sound problems about halfway through to the end of the show with the bass cranked up. Big finale with Since You Been Gone, with confetti canons spraying most of the crowd. She sang several songs from her upcoming album, but there was a noticable absence from her setlist, her first number one single, A Moment Like This.
Old 07-30-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD
Speaking of American Idol, I took my kids to see Kelly Clarkson last weekend here in Chicago. I thought she did very well, although there were sound problems about halfway through to the end of the show with the bass cranked up. Big finale with Since You Been Gone, with confetti canons spraying most of the crowd. She sang several songs from her upcoming album, but there was a noticable absence from her setlist, her first number one single, A Moment Like This.
Kelly is trying to distance herself from AI. She originally did not allow her songs to be sung on AI, and while she did relent, saying there was a "misunderstanding", there was rumored to be a phone call from Simon reminding her what AI did for her.

I'm looking forward to her next albums. How would you describe the songs?
Old 07-30-06, 01:47 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm looking forward to her next albums. How would you describe the songs?
Hearing them only once, from what I remember the songs were pretty good.
Old 07-30-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD
Hearing them only once, from what I remember the songs were pretty good.
I meant the "feel" of the songs. Are they still rock based? Would you describe them as closer to Since U Been Gone and Hazel Eyes or Breakaway?
Old 07-30-06, 06:09 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I meant the "feel" of the songs. Are they still rock based? Would you describe them as closer to Since U Been Gone and Hazel Eyes or Breakaway?
At least a couple were rock songs, one might have been mid-tempo or more soulful, I can't remember that well anymore.

Edit: Since my memory isn't helpful, I went to youtube and did a search for "Kelly Clarkson New song" and the search returns concert footage of the new songs. Take a look.

Last edited by PerryD; 07-30-06 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 11:34 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did everyone do four songs like Chris, or did some of the early bootees get less solo time? And were the songs in sets... like did Chris do all his songs at once, or did they constantly bounce between performers? How long was the whole show?
Old 07-31-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
Did everyone do four songs like Chris, or did some of the early bootees get less solo time? And were the songs in sets... like did Chris do all his songs at once, or did they constantly bounce between performers? How long was the whole show?
Whole show was about 2:15 with a 15 min intermission. Everyone sang their songs at once.

Here's what they have been doing on tour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idols_LIVE!_Tour_2006#Setlist