Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Mel Gibson and his DUI....... (merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Anubis2005X
07-31-06, 11:55 AM
This has nothing to do with him being an alcoholic and that's a blatant strawman. I've gotten falling-down drunk more than I'd care to admit and I've never considered blaming all my problems on THE JEWS!!!! during those times (nor have I said anything remotely that outrageous with a blood alcohol level of .12, which is far from "totally wasted" unless you're a dwarf). He became uninhibited and said what he was thinking rather than tempering it for the public.

Alright, I see your point there.

When it comes to seeing Gibson back on screen again, despite the fact that he's been labeled a bigot, I don't think it's really going to affect me. Not because being a bigot is okay, but I remember back in the day with all the craziness that was surrounding Tom Cruise. I had no desire to see War of the Worlds because of him. But after a couple of months I caught it and really enjoyed, forgetting entirely about some of the crazy crap he had been saying...

Michael Corvin
07-31-06, 12:07 PM
I remember back in the day with all the craziness that was surrounding Tom Cruise. I had no desire to see War of the Worlds because of him. But after a couple of months I caught it and really enjoyed, forgetting entirely about some of the crazy crap he had been saying...

exactly. This is a knee-jerk reaction that will fade with time.

kvrdave
07-31-06, 12:08 PM
Uh, if you read the previous notes on the subject (or do any fact-checking yourself), you'll see that Gibson did not stick to the New Testiment. There was a reason why he called it "The Passion".

Historically, Passion Plays did not follow the New Testament fully and they painted the Jews in a much worse light than the New Testiment. And I remember reading an interview with Gibson, when he was first starting the project, that he felt that he needed to place blame where blame belonged.Which parts were incorrect? Where did he stray? I only ask because having seen it (admittedly only once) I didn't see where he might have gone in a different direction. Sure there were scenes of people walking, etc. that aren't described in the NT, but what was in the movie that was biblically inaccurate?

chess
07-31-06, 12:09 PM
Tom Cruise: an excessively polite and completely harmless person with some strange but harmless ideas
Dixie Chicks: excessively polite and completely harmless ladies who seem to have been completely right about our president
Mel Gibson: a blatant racist with at least hints of his dad's borderline Nazi beliefs

Can we please stop with the comparisons?

kvrdave
07-31-06, 12:09 PM
Your bible teaching or what you believe in are completely irrelevant to me.

Ha, the fact that my bible teaching and what I believe are completely irrelevant to you is even more irreleevant to me. Top that!!

:lol:

Artman
07-31-06, 12:11 PM
Mel has been a poster boy of the religious community, thanks to their eager embrace of Passion, for several years.

Naturally, those of us that find religion repulsive, repressive and dangerous see in his actions a confirmation that "religious piety" is a crock of shit.

Adam, all I can say about the poor examples of religous people out there is "I'm sorry." The bad ones get all the headlines unfortunately.

I've always seen Mel as just another imperfect man... like we all are. Granted this was a pretty big blunder on his part, but if I had cameras around me all the time - chances are you'd see me lose my temper at times, and in moments when I've had too much to drink as well. No excuse for it, but we're all imperfect.

Michael Corvin
07-31-06, 12:17 PM
Tom Cruise: an excessively polite and completely harmless person with some strange but harmless ideas
Dixie Chicks: excessively polite and completely harmless ladies who seem to have been completely right about our president
Mel Gibson: a blatant racist with at least hints of his dad's borderline Nazi beliefs

Can we please stop with the comparisons?

This isn't directed at you chess, but did I miss an article? A transcript? We've gone from Gibson fesssing up to making some terrible[still unknown?] comments to Gibson being a Nazi? :hscratch: I must have missed something.

chess
07-31-06, 12:21 PM
This isn't directed at you chess, but did I miss an article? A transcript? We've gone from Gibson fesssing up to making some terrible[still unknown?] comments to Gibson being a Nazi? :hscratch: I must have missed something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutton_Gibson

First thing on Google...tons more out there. Hutton is a noted Nazi apologist and revisionist historian, and Mel has done NOTHING to distance himself from his dad's views...and has, in fact encouraged them through his actions on several occasions...most notably in the anti-semitic propaganda piece "the passion".

nodeerforamonth
07-31-06, 12:30 PM
If I boycotted every actor/actress whose opinions I differed on, I wouldn't be watching ANY movies!

Michael Corvin
07-31-06, 12:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutton_Gibson

First thing on Google...tons more out there. Hutton is a noted Nazi apologist and revisionist historian, and Mel has done NOTHING to distance himself from his dad's views...and has, in fact encouraged them through his actions on several occasions...most notably in the anti-semitic propaganda piece "the passion".

Gotcha. So Mel not wanting to slander his own father in the media = Nazi. Still a bit off if you ask me.

chess
and here's a transcript: Playboy 1995, circa Braveheart...just to give some idea where his head's at in relation to his upbringing.

PLAYBOY: What does he [Hutton Gibson] have to do with the Alliance for Catholic Tradition, which one magazine called "an extreme conservative Catholic splinter group"?

GIBSON: He started it. Some people say it's extreme, but it emphasizes what the institution was and where it's going. Everything he was taught to believe was taken from him in the Sixties with this renewal Vatican Council. The whole institution became unrecognizable to him, so he writes about it.

PLAYBOY: Do you believe in Darwin's theory of evolution or that God created man in his image?

GIBSON: The latter.

PLAYBOY: So you can't accept that we descended from monkeys and apes?

GIBSON: No, I think it's bullshit. If it isn't, why are they still around? How come apes aren't people yet? It's a nice theory, but I can't swallow it. There's a big credibility gap. The carbon dating thing that tells you how long something's been around, how accurate is that, really? I've got one of Darwin's books at home and some of that stuff is pretty damn funny. Some of his stuff is true, like that the giraffe has a long neck so it can reach the leaves. But I just don't think you can swallow the whole piece.

PLAYBOY: We take it that you're not particularly broad-minded when it comes to issues such as celibacy, abortion, birth control --

GIBSON: People always focus on stuff like that. Those aren't issues. Those are unquestionable. You don't even argue those points.

PLAYBOY: You don't?

GIBSON: No.

PLAYBOY: What about allowing women to be priests?

GIBSON: No.

PLAYBOY: Why not?

GIBSON: I'll get kicked around for saying it, but men and women are just different. They're not equal. The same way that you and I are not equal.

PLAYBOY: That's true. You have more money.

GIBSON: You might be more intelligent, or you might have a bigger dick. Whatever it is, nobody's equal. And men and women are not equal. I have tremendous respect for women. I love them. I don't know why they want to step down. Women in my family are the center of things. An good things emanate from them. The guys usually mess up.

PLAYBOY: That's quite a generalization.

GIBSON: Women are just different. Their sensibilities are different.

PLAYBOY: Any examples?

GIBSON: I had a female business partner once. Didn't work.

PLAYBOY: Why not?

GIBSON: She was a ****.

PLAYBOY: And the feminists dare to put you down!

GIBSON: Feminists don't like me, and I don't like them. I don't get their point. I don't know why feminists have it out for me, but that's their problem, not mine.

PLAYBOY: How do you feel about Bill Clinton?

GIBSON: He's a low-level opportunist. Somebody's telling him what to do.

PLAYBOY: Who?

GIBSON: The guy who's in charge isn't going to be the front man, ever. If I were going to be calling the shots I wouldn't make an appearance. Would you? You'd end up losing your head. It happens all the time. All those monarchs. Ifhe's the leader, he's getting shafted. What's keeping him in there? Why would you stay for that kind of abuse? Except that he has to stay for some reason. He was meant to be the president 30 years ago, if you ask me.

PLAYBOY: He was just 18 then.

GIBSON: Somebody knew then that he would be president now.

PLAYBOY: You really believe that?

GIBSON: I really believe that. He was a Rhodes scholar, right? Just like Bob Hawke. Do you know what a Rhodes scholar is? Cecil Rhodes established the Rhodes scholarship for those young men and women who want to strive for a new world order. Have you heard that before? George Bush? CIA? Really, it's Marxism, but it just doesn't want to call itself that. Karl had the right idea, but he was too forward about saying what it was. Get power but don't admit to it. Do it by stealth. There's a whole trend of Rhodes scholars who will be politicians around the world.

PLAYBOY: This certainly sounds like a paranoid sense of world history. You must be quite an assassination buff.

GIBSON: Oh, fuck. A lot of those guys pulled a boner. There's something to do with the Federal Reserve that Lincoln did, Kennedy did and Reagan tried. I can't remember what it was, my dad told me about it. Everyone who did this particular thing that would have fixed the economy got undone. Anyway, I'll end up dead if I keep talking shit.

nodeerforamonth
(nor have I said anything remotely that outrageous with a blood alcohol level of .12, which is far from "totally wasted" unless you're a dwarf).

Actually, .12 is a percentage. If you're a dwarf, it will just take you less alcohol to make a .12.

If Mel's saying such stuff on a .12 blood/alcohol level, he's NOT an alcoholic because he's certainly not used to drinking! .12 is not "falling on your face drunk" if you're used to drinking quite a bit. For a person of average weight, .12 is about 3-4 drinks in an hour.

chess
07-31-06, 12:40 PM
Gotcha. So Mel not wanting to slander his own father in the media = Nazi. Still a bit off if you ask me.

No, it's certainly more complex than that. However, I did see "the passion" and it was clear to me that is was a film made by an anti-semite...complete with every Jewish stereotype imaginable.

But I'll even go one further and say that I have zero doubt that in the right time and place, both Hutton and son would be full fledged Nazis.

DJLinus
07-31-06, 12:41 PM
It's too bad "South Park" is on a break right now. They'd have a field day with this.

His next project is a remake of Triumph of the Will. Duh. :)

Peep
07-31-06, 12:47 PM
Which parts were incorrect? Where did he stray? I only ask because having seen it (admittedly only once) I didn't see where he might have gone in a different direction. Sure there were scenes of people walking, etc. that aren't described in the NT, but what was in the movie that was biblically inaccurate?

Go back and read the "Passion" topics and you will see. It's not worth hi-jacking this topic.

From http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general645.html :

"Part of the appeal of the movie to conservative Catholics in America (and elsewhere) is its source material. Overlooked in much of the criticism of The Passion is the fact that it is not actually based on the Gospels so much as on the visions of a forgotten 19th century mystic and stigmatic, Anne Catherine Emmerich. She claimed to have the gift of being transported back in time, which enabled her to supply details missing from the biblical accounts of the Passion. These were then written down and published in several best-sellers by the German poet Clemens Brentano. Very probably, Brentano embellished her account. For example, in the Gospels, Jesus is shown praying in Gethsemane, but the Devil is not mentioned. But in Emmerich's visions, the Devil tempts Jesus as he prays. In Gibson's movie, the Devil also tempts Jesus in Gethsemane. "

Obey The D
07-31-06, 12:57 PM
From some of the reactions here I was expecting to see that the police report said Mel marched Down the road sieg heiling and screaming in German as he threatened to fire bomb a jewish community.

While his comments were asinine, I've unfortunately heard a hell of a lot worse over the years. Maybe he doesn't agree with the way things are playing out in the middle east so he said some stupid things when he was shitfaced beyond belief.
Not seeing eye to eye with those of the Jewish faith does not make you anti-semitic, pure hatred and hostility towards them does.

Anubis2005X
07-31-06, 12:57 PM
I'm just having trouble with people saying that The Passion is a clear cut example of Gibson's anti-semitic bias. What is so anti-semitic about it? Didn't Gibson even cut the line where the crowd shouts something like "May his blood be on us and all our generations?" or something like that? And yes, that IS in the bible... And it's not like he changed it so that it was Jews who whipped Jesus with the cat o' nine tails. Can someone just explain why they think The Passion is so biased?

Nesbit
07-31-06, 12:59 PM
all of you defending Gibson are amazing...supporting an openly hateful person, wow good to see everyone still has their ethics -rolleyes-

Adam Sandler hates Cajuns.

adamblast
07-31-06, 12:59 PM
Let's hope that this project is dead in the water at this point...

Mel Gibson plans TV miniseries on Holocaust (Dec '05) ("http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/06/arts/television/06cnd-gibson.html?ex=1154491200&en=40bfedfff263567d&ei=5070)

adamblast
07-31-06, 01:07 PM
From some of the reactions here I was expecting to see that the police report said Mel marched Down the road sieg heiling and screaming in German as he threatened to fire bomb a jewish community.

While his comments were asinine, I've unfortunately heard a hell of a lot worse over the years. Maybe he doesn't agree with the way things are playing out in the middle east so he said some stupid things when he was shitfaced beyond belief.

Not seeing eye to eye with those of the Jewish faith does not make you anti-semitic, pure hatred and hostility towards them does.Oh, baloney, sorry. The fact that you can imagine worse things doesn't excuse his actions, and to try to minimize them is apalling. His actions were pretty compelling evidence of "pure hatred and hostility" as far as I can tell.

On the DUI, it's also worth noting that he's skated on similar charges twice before, with the local officers declining to charge him.

movielib
07-31-06, 01:15 PM
Adam, all I can say about the poor examples of religous people out there is "I'm sorry." The bad ones get all the headlines unfortunately.

I've always seen Mel as just another imperfect man... like we all are. Granted this was a pretty big blunder on his part, but if I had cameras around me all the time - chances are you'd see me lose my temper at times, and in moments when I've had too much to drink as well. No excuse for it, but we're all imperfect.
Sure, I lose my temper at times. I don't drink but if I did maybe I'd be a "bad drunk." But I know I'd never say anything racist or sexist or use religious slurs. You have to have that inside you to do that, drunk or sober.

Not seeing eye to eye with those of the Jewish faith does not make you anti-semitic, pure hatred and hostility towards them does.
See above. And he was not shitfaced beyond belief (not that that would be any excuse). His blood alcohol was .12.

Charlie Goose
07-31-06, 01:36 PM
Plus, like everyone else says, if you boycotted every celeb with bizzare beliefs that would leave Seasame Street.
Staying away from the obvious target of Bert hanging out with Bin Laden, I've heard that Oscar the Grouch is a card-carrying member of NAMBLA.

CRM114
07-31-06, 01:41 PM
We have no idea who goes to Heaven, since that is Jesus' decision.

Don't cop out on me. What does Revelations say happens to non-believers. You have read it, right?

Terrell
07-31-06, 01:50 PM
I know Jews who would consider that statement racist or anti-Jew(how's that Nesbit?). Seriously.

-rolleyes- Then that's f*cking stupid. There's nothing inherently racist in that statement. Hollywood is run by mostly Jewish people. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

General Zod
07-31-06, 01:57 PM
I'm sure you'll now say the KKK just doesn't see eye to eye with black people - but there's not hatred.

Come on. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you can be reasonably sure it is a duck. I think it's fair to see people can be reasonably sure Gibson is anti-semetic. It's not against the law or anything and i'm not saying people should all automatically hate him or something.. but trying to dismiss these type of comments as just "not seeing eye to eye" is pretty pathetic.

cpgator
07-31-06, 02:10 PM
Don't cop out on me. What does Revelations say happens to non-believers. You have read it, right?Since you are so against religion, why do you care? Everyone here gets it - you don't like religion. Let it rest.

movielib
07-31-06, 02:11 PM
Which parts were incorrect? Where did he stray? I only ask because having seen it (admittedly only once) I didn't see where he might have gone in a different direction. Sure there were scenes of people walking, etc. that aren't described in the NT, but what was in the movie that was biblically inaccurate?
He just added a whole lot of stuff from that nun who saw visions and wrote them up. You could call the stuff extra-biblical rather than non-biblical.

http://www.jesus-passion.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm

I'm on record here as saying I did not think the film was antisemitic (although I thought it stunk).

Artman
07-31-06, 02:11 PM
Don't cop out on me. What does Revelations say happens to non-believers. You have read it, right?

Anyone who has not accepted Christ's sacrifice will be seperated from God. Though their is a passage which speaks of 144,000 jews who will pass thru, though it is not clear who that is exactly.

movielib
07-31-06, 02:14 PM
Anyone who has not accepted Christ's sacrifice will be seperated from God. Though their is a passage which speaks of 144,000 jews who will pass thru, though it is not clear who that is exactly.
Probably the "Jews for Jesus." :)

JumpCutz
07-31-06, 02:15 PM
The cell phone story is too much....what a prick.

http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/31/exclusive-gibson-skated-two-times-before/

Obey The D
07-31-06, 02:20 PM
I'm sure you'll now say the KKK just doesn't see eye to eye with black people - but there's not hatred.

Of course I wouldn't condone that. Besides, I don't think they'd care too much about what I have to say since I have some Native American in me. :)

but trying to dismiss these type of comments as just "not seeing eye to eye" is pretty pathetic.

It was a poor choice of words on my part. I just find it hard to believe that someone who's been a part of hollywood for so long and has worked closely with jewish people on various projects over the years could possess such hatred towards the same group.
I think more than anything Mel is completely insane.

Th0r S1mpson
07-31-06, 02:32 PM
I think more than anything Mel was drunk and said some stupid things.

majorjoe23
07-31-06, 02:40 PM
I think more than anything Mel was drunk and said some stupid things.

I got drunk this weekend and tried to talk two female friends into a threesome. That was stupid (since it didn't work). Ranting against Jews when you're drunk, one of the biggest celebrities in the world and someone who has had accusations of anti-semitism leveled against you is stupid on a whole other level.

antennaball
07-31-06, 02:44 PM
How many people who are enraged by Gibson are clamoring for a DVD release of "Song of the South"?

I think he's batshit crazy, but I'm not boycotting his flicks.

Th0r S1mpson
07-31-06, 02:51 PM
Ranting against Jews when you're drunk, one of the biggest celebrities in the world and someone who has had accusations of anti-semitism leveled against you is stupid on a whole other level.
Yup. And I don't think anyone here would disagree.

vegasbaby
07-31-06, 02:53 PM
What a shocker ... Mel and his dad are both Anti-Semites.

Getting drunk is like taking truth serum.

audiomixer
07-31-06, 02:56 PM
:foot: He's a dick!

CRM114
07-31-06, 03:02 PM
Since you are so against religion, why do you care? Everyone here gets it - you don't like religion. Let it rest.

Because I'm trying to show how Christianity is inherently anti-Jew and anti-any other religion for that matter. Some were saying that I should not paint whole religions with a broad brush. I say bullshit. The rest of us are lesser people according to these religions.

HistoryProf
07-31-06, 03:07 PM
so where's all the empathy for the poor female seargent and outrage over Mel's mysoginistic views?

Ranger
07-31-06, 03:10 PM
Because I'm trying to show how Christianity is inherently anti-Jew and anti-any other religion for that matter. Some were saying that I should not paint whole religions with a broad brush. I say bullshit. The rest of us are lesser people according to these religions.
Anti-any other religion?

grundle
07-31-06, 03:10 PM
I was born Jewish, but I converted to atheism. I'm sure I'll switch back to believing in God when I realize I only have a split second left to live.

Anyway, I'm against hate crime laws. People can hate me and curse at me all they want. That should not be illegal.

LurkerDan
07-31-06, 03:14 PM
Come on man, are you serious? Religions are, for the most part, anti-other religions. So what? Religions that speak of an afterlife generally say the afterlife belongs to those of their faith. Be kind of silly to preach a whole belief system with an ultimate salvation, then say "but you don't need to follow our teachings to get there". I'm not saying that all religions are this way, but most are, and I'm ok with that.

If this is your reason for disliking religion, get some perspective, please.

<=== not a member of any religion, going to hell, and ok with it.

CRM114
07-31-06, 03:14 PM
Anti-any other religion?

If you don't believe in and praise Jesus, you do not go to heaven upon the End Days. Seems anti to me. :shrug:

LurkerDan
07-31-06, 03:15 PM
I was born Jewish, but I converted to atheism.
what kind of ceremony did you go through for that conversion?

Ranger
07-31-06, 03:15 PM
grundle, I don't think anyone is calling for Mel to be charged with a hate crime. His being drunk and speeding is what he needs to be punished for now. But since he's a famous guy who made one of the biggest movies that many suspected that he made because of his anti-Jew views, it's fair to bring it up against him now.

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 03:16 PM
-rolleyes- Then that's f*cking stupid. There's nothing inherently racist in that statement. Hollywood is run by mostly Jewish people. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

Dude, I agree it's stupid. But I swear to you, I've heard Jewish people go friggin ballistic when they heard that statement. I don't get it but some do. I'm not making it up or trying to fuck with you.

CRM114
07-31-06, 03:17 PM
Come on man, are you serious? Religions are, for the most part, anti-other religions. So what? Religions that speak of an afterlife generally say the afterlife belongs to those of their faith. Be kind of silly to preach a whole belief system with an ultimate salvation, then say "but you don't need to follow our teachings to get there". I'm not saying that all religions are this way, but most are, and I'm ok with that.

If this is your reason for disliking religion, get some perspective, please.

<=== not a member of any religion, going to hell, and ok with it.

Perspective? I have tons of perspective. I'm not weighted down by religious dogma. I'm not singling out Christianity. I'm merely addressing Christianity as it applies to Mel Gibson.

But thank for pointing out the obvious fallacy of religion in your first paragraph. :)

Ranger
07-31-06, 03:17 PM
If you don't believe in and praise Jesus, you do not go to heaven upon the End Days. Seems anti to me. :shrug:
I read your post as saying that Christianity was anti-anyotherreligion.

Do you expect all religions to be tolerant of other religions or something?

LurkerDan
07-31-06, 03:20 PM
Perspective? I have tons of perspective. I'm not weighted down by religious dogma. I'm not singling out Christianity. I'm merely addressing Christianity as it applies to Mel Gibson.

But thank for pointing out the obvious fallacy of religion in your first paragraph. :)
It's not a fallacy, and you clearly don't have perspective if that is your problem with religion.

Besides, the correct answer is... the Mormons. :)

CRM114
07-31-06, 03:21 PM
I read your post as saying that Christianity was anti-anyotherreligion.

Do you expect all religions to be tolerant of other religions or something?

Absolutely not. Thats the point. The Catholics here attempted to claim that they were not anti-Jew. Religions are inherently anti-other religion. IF all other religions are lesser than yours, does that not mean that your religion is disdainful of the others?

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 03:23 PM
<b>People can hate me and curse at me all they want.</b> That should not be illegal.

One need only venture into the Politics Forum to see plenty 'o' evidence of that. ;):lol:

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 03:23 PM

They sew the foreskin back on.

CRM114
07-31-06, 03:24 PM
It's not a fallacy, and you clearly don't have perspective if that is your problem with religion.

Besides, the correct answer is... the Mormons. :)

Of course its a fallacy. The Christians claim they are the exalted ones and the billions of Jews, Muslims and Hindus will die in some End Days hellfire. I'm certain the other religions have similar fates for the other religions as well. Surely, they all cannot be correct thus its a fallacy.

LurkerDan
07-31-06, 03:28 PM
Of course its a fallacy. The Christians claim they are the exalted ones and the billions of Jews, Muslims and Hindus will die in some End Days hellfire. I'm certain the other religions have similar fates for the other religions as well. Surely, they all cannot be correct thus its a fallacy.
but it's not a fallacy for the Mormons, is it? :)

Saying that one religion describes the path to salvation does not say to me that that particular religion is "anti" anything. It's quite easy to thgink you have the right path without thinking ill towards those on the wrong path. I think you're looking at one aspect of these religions in a vacuum.

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 03:29 PM
Absolutely not. Thats the point. The Catholics here attempted to claim that they were not anti-Jew. Religions are inherently anti-other religion. IF all other religions are lesser than yours, does that not mean that your religion is disdainful of the others?

You're right. All 3 "major" religions teach that the other 2 suckass and that the followers of the other Religions will not enjoy whatever "Door Prize" their respective god is offering at the end of the show. There's no way around it.

Th0r S1mpson
07-31-06, 03:46 PM
Religions are inherently anti-other religion. IF all other religions are lesser than yours, does that not mean that your religion is disdainful of the others?
So what you're saying is that religious people can be as disdainful of other religions as you are?

Ranger
07-31-06, 03:47 PM
You're right. All 3 "major" religions teach that the other 2 suckass and that the followers of the other Religions will not enjoy whatever "Door Prize" their respective god is offering at the end of the show. There's no way around it.
Right. It gets even more complicated within each big religion.

For example, I don't consider Catholics to be Christians.

CRM114
07-31-06, 03:51 PM
So what you're saying is that religious people can be as disdainful of other religions as you are?

I'm not disdainful. I'm skeptical. :) And I'm saying that "can" be, I'm saying they are.

sethsez
07-31-06, 03:52 PM
How many people who are enraged by Gibson are clamoring for a DVD release of "Song of the South"?
One is a movie made in a different time with historical significance. The other is a person in the modern day. Someone can want to preserve The Birth of a Nation for its massive historical significance and contributions to film without thinking that it's okay to go around lynching black people. What's so hard to grasp about this?

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 03:54 PM
I'm not disdainful. I'm skeptical. :) And I'm saying that "can" be, I'm saying they are.

I guess your posts concerning this issue often come across as very angry and hateful. But then again, I'm sure you feel the same about those posting the opposite of what you're trying to say.

Can't we all get along? :(:D

bhk
07-31-06, 04:01 PM
Seeing that his BA level was only .12, I suspect that he wasn't super drunk, just that his frontal lobe had released the usual inhibition. That said, I'll probably still see his movies(on DVD where I usually see movies).

adamblast
07-31-06, 04:04 PM
I've heard Jewish people go friggin ballistic when they heard that statement. I don't get it but some do. I'm not making it up or trying to fuck with you.Of course they do. "The Jews run this, the Jews run that" is exactly the tool the Nazis and others used to whip up enough hysteria to make the Holocaust happen.

And no one runs Hollywood, except maybe assholes. There may have been a time when 4 or 5 major studios ran Hollywood, most of them built up and owned by Jewish guys, but that's long past. At most, you might be able to say today that Jews are "over-represented"--much as gays are in the fashion industry, and blacks are in basketball, but even that's fairly dubious in this case.

Goldblum
07-31-06, 04:08 PM
:lol:

LiquidSky
07-31-06, 04:09 PM
I don't go to his movies anyway. So, no boycott necessary.

Terrell
07-31-06, 04:15 PM
But I swear to you, I've heard Jewish people go friggin ballistic when they heard that statement.

Then they're overly sensitive to an insane degree. Maybe anti-semitism against Jews has been so rampant throughout history, that they can't help but go batshit over an accurate statement. Jewish people do hold an incredibly amount of power in Hollywood.

"The Jews run this, the Jews run that" is exactly the tool the Nazis and others used to whip up enough hysteria to make the Holocaust happen.

:lol: The comparisons get more idiotic and over the top by the second. Sorry for whipping up more anti-Jew hysteria and having a Nazi mentality.

adamblast
07-31-06, 04:20 PM
:lol: The comparisons get more idiotic and over the top by the second. Sorry for whipping up more anti-Jew hysteria and having a Nazi mentality.I was explaining why Jewish people react strongly to comments that they "run" this or that industry, not reacting to your post personally myself. If I were to do so I'd merely point out your general jerkiness.

DieselsDen
07-31-06, 04:23 PM
i'm biggoted against people who can't spell bigot :lol:

Well, that's not very big-ot you.

Get it? "Big-ot you"..."big of you?" Get it?

Ah, nothing like a little sophisticated humor to alleviate a religious war.

JasonF
07-31-06, 04:24 PM

Actually, Judaism doesn't teach that (at least, not any strain of Judaism with which I am familiar).

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 04:25 PM
One is a movie made in a different time with historical significance. The other is a person in the modern day. Someone can want to preserve The Birth of a Nation for its massive historical significance and contributions to film without thinking that it's okay to go around lynching black people. What's so hard to grasp about this?

If I were black I would say "Wha-evah" and roll my neck.

Bandoman
07-31-06, 04:25 PM
For example, I don't consider Catholics to be Christians.

Really? Why? (I'm not Catholic, just curious.)

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 04:28 PM
I don't go to his movies anyway. So, no boycott necessary.

You Anti-boy.... wait a minute... :D;)

Legolas
07-31-06, 04:28 PM
I'm just having trouble with people saying that The Passion is a clear cut example of Gibson's anti-semitic bias. What is so anti-semitic about it? Didn't Gibson even cut the line where the crowd shouts something like "May his blood be on us and all our generations?" or something like that? And yes, that IS in the bible... And it's not like he changed it so that it was Jews who whipped Jesus with the cat o' nine tails. Can someone just explain why they think The Passion is so biased?

Isn't it obvious? It should be obvious by anyone who went to see The Passion with the intent to label it as being anti-semitic. You know, since Jesus and his circle of friends were also Jews and all. And depicting any Jew on the opposing side of the protagonist is apparently anti-semitic too.

Ranger
07-31-06, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised you had to ask. Christians have many issues with Catholic traditions.

See examples:
http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/cath.htm

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 04:37 PM
Actually, Judaism doesn't teach that (at least, not any strain of Judaism with which I am familiar).

So, what happens to Christians, Moslems, and other faiths according to the Jewish faith? I'm not trying to be a smartass I would like to know. Help me learn.

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 04:41 PM

There's also some Christians that don't believe Mormons are Christians.

adamblast
07-31-06, 04:44 PM
I'm surprised you had to ask. Christians have many issues with Catholic traditions.And many Catholics don't consider Mormons real Christians. And many Mormons don't consider Jehovah's Witnesses real Christians, ad nauseum...

Feel free to bash each other's doctrines, it's what you do best, but like it or not, none of you has exclusive rights to the word. Were I a Christian, I would exclude you myself on sheer principle. :lol:

Bandoman
07-31-06, 04:46 PM
I'm surprised you had to ask. Christians have many issues with Catholic traditions.

See examples:
http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/cath.htm

I have a lot of issues with Catholic traditions, but I still think they're Christians. They believe in Christ as our saviour, that God sent His Son to die for our sins. Everything else is irrelevant, IMO.

dork
07-31-06, 04:47 PM
So, what happens to Christians, Moslems, and other faiths according to the Jewish faith?
Their scripts don't get greenlighted.

Groucho
07-31-06, 04:47 PM
I'm an atheist. From where I'm sitting, you're all Christians. Yeah, Muslim guy. Even you.

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 04:49 PM
And many Catholics don't consider Mormons real Christians. And many Mormons don't consider Jehovah's Witnesses real Christians, ad nauseum...

Were I a Christian, I would exclude you myself on sheer principle. :lol:

To be fair, :D is it any different than Gays who don't like Trannies, Lesbians who don't like Gay men, Gay men who don't like Bi's?

Dark blacks who don't like Light blacks, Mixed blacks who think they're better than non-mixed blacks.

Mexicans who don't like El Salvadorians, Cubans who don't like Puerto Ricans...

Japanese who don't like Chinese, Koreans who don't like Filipinos....

Northern Californians who hate Southern Californians....

Everybody hates everybody. :lol::(

adamblast
07-31-06, 04:50 PM
Their scripts don't get greenlighted.rotfl

bhk
07-31-06, 04:57 PM
On need only venture into the Politics Forum to see plenty 'o' evidence of that.
How about starting a poll with that question.

Ranger
07-31-06, 05:02 PM
I have a lot of issues with Catholic traditions, but I still think they're Christians. They believe in Christ as our saviour, that God sent His Son to die for our sins. Everything else is irrelevant, IMO.
Some Catholics might be saved if they accept Jesus, but overall, I think that religion has many teaching that blatantly goes against the Bible.

But I'm certainly no expert on religion but I brought up the Catholic vs Christian point as an example of all the differing aspects of Christian denominations.

xmiyux
07-31-06, 05:08 PM
Of course they do. "The Jews run this, the Jews run that" is exactly the tool the Nazis and others used to whip up enough hysteria to make the Holocaust happen.

That and it is the same sentiment behind the fabricated Protocols of the Elders of Zion that talks about the "Jewish conspiracy to take over the world." This document still pops up from time to time even though it has been thoroughly shown to be fabricated propaganda.

LurkerDan
07-31-06, 05:29 PM
Sir, I'm friends with skeptical, I know skeptical, I have served with skeptical. You sir are no skeptic. ;)

Seriously, I'm ambivalent towards religion, and certainly do not belong to any, and you come off in this thread as extremely disdainful, not skeptical. :shrug:

movielib
07-31-06, 05:29 PM
Having come from the people that run Hollywood and the New York diamond business I'd say you are correct.

Rockmjd23
07-31-06, 05:30 PM
Catholics aren't Christians now? :lol: In the same thread I have been called an anti-semite and now I don't believe that Christ is my savior. Comedy gold.

movielib
07-31-06, 05:32 PM
So, what happens to Christians, Moslems, and other faiths according to the Jewish faith? I'm not trying to be a smartass I would like to know. Help me learn.
I don't think they have anything to say about that. At least I don't remember ever learning anything in my Reformed Jewish upbringing.

Remember, Judaism is not a proselytizing religion. I don't think they feel they have to "save" anyone.

adamblast
07-31-06, 05:37 PM
Catholics aren't Christians now? :lol: In the same thread I have been called an anti-semite and now I don't believe that Christ is my savior. Comedy gold.He seems not to have noticed that Protestantism is historically speaking merely a late offshoot of Catholicism, which has more claim than anyone else to being the original Christianity...

movielib
07-31-06, 05:38 PM
Didn't Gibson even cut the line where the crowd shouts something like "May his blood be on us and all our generations?"
He didn't cut the line, he cut the subtitle.

Rockmjd23
07-31-06, 05:43 PM
He seems not to have noticed that Protestantism is historically speaking merely a late offshoot of Catholicism, which has more claim than anyone else to being the original Christianity...
It doesn't matter to me who came first, or who claims to be the "true Christians". I wish the petty differences between the denominations would be resolved. Every week at mass we have a prayer for Christian unity. :shrug:

movielib
07-31-06, 05:44 PM
Mel enters rehab:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/31/gibson.dui/

ENTERTAINMENT
Gibson enters rehab after DUI arrest
Charges swirl that actor received special treatment

Monday, July 31, 2006; Posted: 5:21 p.m. EDT (21:21 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Actor Mel Gibson entered rehab after his arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, his spokesman said Monday.

"He has entered into an ongoing program of recovery," said his publicist, Alan Nierob.

Further details were not immediately available.

The movie star's troubles mounted Monday as a Web site reported Gibson had been stopped twice before for reckless driving and let go.

Meanwhile, Hollywood speculated about the fallout from Gibson's reported anti-Semitic and sexist remarks.

Authorities involved in his arrest continued to fend off suggestions that they had "sanitized" a deputy's report. (Watch the official denials of special treatment -- 3:00)

As the details of Gibson's arrest dominated water cooler conversations, the future of his high-profile projects came under question. The projects include a Mayan-language film called "Apocalypto" due later this year, and a miniseries set during the Holocaust.

TMZ.com, which broke the story that Gibson had been arrested early Friday, reported Monday that the actor was stopped twice previously in the past three years "for reckless driving" but was let go without being cited.

CNN could not immediately confirm the report by TMZ, which is owned by CNN parent company Time Warner. Gibson's representatives had no comment.

Gibson issued a statement over the weekend saying that he drove and should not have after drinking alcohol on Thursday night.

Gibson apologizes

"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person," he said in the statement.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said a preliminary test showed Gibson's blood alcohol level was 0.12. California's legal limit is .08. Gibson was released after posting $5,000 bond, and has not been charged, though he may be, the department said.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said, and I apologize to anyone who I have offended," Gibson said in his statement.

The Sheriff's Department stood by its initial release that Gibson's arrest occurred "without incident."

"Every time somebody is arrested, something out of the ordinary happens, but guns don't always have to be drawn. Without incident means without force," said spokesman Steve Whitmore.

TMZ reported that the deputy who arrested Gibson wrote a detailed report but that the Sheriff's Department released a much shorter version that left out many details -- including Gibson's angry comments. TMZ said it has four pages of the original report, which is how it learned the details of what Gibson allegedly said.

Whitmore denied allegations the report had been "sanitized" and vowed the final version will contain all the details, "lock, stock and barrel."

In the past, Gibson has participated in a Sheriff's Department charity that provides aid to the children of slain deputies. But Whitmore said Gibson was given no special treatment in his arrest.

"I will say it as long as you wish me to: absolutely not," he told reporters Monday.

The Sheriff's Department and Gibson's representatives have not commented on what Gibson said during his arrest.

Profanity-laced tirade reported

TMZ reported it was a profanity-laced tirade, and that the deputy audiotaped it. TMZ did not say it had heard the audiotape.

The Web site reported that Gibson's alleged remarks included: "(Expletive) Jews. The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

Nierob told CNN the actor has nothing more to add to his written statement, which did not specify what he said at the time of his arrest.

The Anti-Defamation League, which combats anti-Semitism and other forms of hatred, issued a statement branding Gibson an anti-Semite.

"Mel Gibson's apology is unremorseful and insufficient. It's not a proper apology because it does not go to the essence of his bigotry and his anti-Semitism," said ADL National Director Abraham Foxman.

Gibson faced accusations of anti-Semitism during the publicity storm that surrounded his 2004 film "The Passion of the Christ." Foxman wrote that Gibson's "tirade finally reveals his true self" and shows his previous claims "that he is such a tolerant, loving person, were a sham."

Foxman added, "We would hope that Hollywood now would realize the bigot in their midst and that they will distance themselves from this anti-Semite."

The long-term effects of the events remained unclear, but headlines about the actor -- who also won an Oscar for directing "Braveheart" -- offered a glimpse of the challenges ahead for him.

" 'Despicable' words could taint Gibson," said the Hollywood Reporter. "Gibson gaffe could impact career," read Variety. A Los Angeles Times news analysis said, "Crossing this line could cost him deals."

Jackskeleton
07-31-06, 05:45 PM
So now folks are boycotting Mel's work because of passion and not the DUI/drunk rantings?

Seeker
07-31-06, 05:46 PM
I have a prayer every day for human unity.

If I have a belief it is that we all need to do better, that we all have the potential to go to 'heaven', and it's all a matter of just trying to get there.

I have TONS of other beliefs, but none of them include condemning people to 'hell' because they believe differently than me.

Rockmjd23
07-31-06, 05:52 PM
The Book of Revelation is apocalyptic literature. It's symbolic of the resistance to 1st century persecution. I have never been taught to take anything in the book literally. Call it a cop out if you want, I really couldn't care less.

chess
07-31-06, 05:58 PM
So now folks are boycotting Mel's work because of passion and not the DUI/drunk rantings?

First, I think few, if any, folks are planning to boycot.

Second, I think that some folks (myself included) are simply saying that this incident is just further affirmation of something they already suspected based on Passion.

I like a lot of his movies, but I'm frankly embarrassed to own anything associated with the guy.

Mr. Salty
07-31-06, 06:08 PM
Plus, like everyone else says, if you boycotted every celeb with bizzare beliefs that would leave Seasame Street.
Everyone else may be saying it, but it's a bullshit comparison. There's a big difference between having "bizarre beliefs" and hatefule racist beliefs that condemn an entire group of people.

If I believe all our personal problems are caused by the spirits of a long-dead race of space aliens brought to Earth millions of years ago by their evil overlord, it's bizarre but harmless. But if I believe all Jews are evil and the cause of all the suffering in the world ...

Well, if you can't see there is a difference, I pity you.

RichC2
07-31-06, 06:23 PM
Wow, this thread is still going strong. Let's hear it for media hype.

It's got to be a pain in the ass having every damn comment you make seen as some global issue.

adamblast
07-31-06, 06:29 PM
From one of the snarky gossip blogs today...

The first round of media analysis of How Mel Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade Will Affect His Career has arrived, with nearly everyone agreeing that Gibson's capping of his DUI arrest by accusing the "fucking Jews" of being "responsible for all the wars in the world" could possibly have some sort of undetermined negative impact on his future ability to make movies, or on the box office prospects of Apocalypto, his upcoming, Mayan-language adventure flick whose dialogue must now be scoured for hate speech cleverly masked by the Yucatec dialect.

(Zero Wolf: "The tribal elders have selected you for human sacrifice. Please report to the altar atop the sacred pyramid in one hour to accept your fate." Jaguar Paw: "You go tell those fucking Jews to kiss my ass. I own this fucking jungle, sugar tits.") :)

THX7966
07-31-06, 06:57 PM
Count me in on the boycott... but only because his movies aren't very good.

darkside
07-31-06, 07:01 PM
Count me in on the boycott... but only because his movies aren't very good.
:up: Gotta love drunk jew hating Mel though. Comedy Gold.

Artman
07-31-06, 07:08 PM

Who wants to talk about Seattle shooting hate crimes or attacks on Israel when we have a celeb's drunken stupor to analyize! Meanwhile back to our top story...

Bacon
07-31-06, 07:26 PM
I agree with most everything you said, except this. Given what the New Testament records (true or not), would it be possible to make a movie about Jesus that sticks to the New Testament accounts that wouldn't offend Jews?

As pro-Israel as I am, I don't think the movie was any more anti-semetic than the New Testament. It simply records that the Jews in power wanted Jesus put to death, and that is what the film shows. :shrug:
:up: news flash to the OP some Jews DID kill Christ, be mad at them not at the movie

THX7966
07-31-06, 07:26 PM
It's got to be a pain in the ass having every damn comment you make seen as some global issue.

But there is a history... isn't his father some Nazi-lover or something?

dolphinboy
07-31-06, 07:29 PM
When I get pulled over for drunk driving, I always yell, "All the wars of the world are the fault of kvrdave" and ask the cops, "Are you kvrdave?"

Mr. Salty
07-31-06, 07:29 PM
Who wants to talk about Seattle shooting hate crimes or attacks on Israel when we have a celeb's drunken stupor to analyize! Meanwhile back to our top story...
I don't know what media outlets you read/watch, but the ones I've been seeing are focusing on Israel/Lebanon and have barely made mention of Gibson.

But remember, according to DVD Talkers, there are no hate crimes. The Seattle shootings were just someone with strange beliefs.

Rogue588
07-31-06, 07:30 PM
So now folks are boycotting Mel's work because of passion and not the DUI/drunk rantings?Or his long standing homophobia...

Bacon
07-31-06, 07:32 PM
I'm watching Lethal Weapon 2 right now who wnats to come over? :D

dolphinboy
07-31-06, 07:33 PM

Yeah, because a lot of people comment on how the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world when they get pulled over for drunk driving.

I think police records show it's something like 7 out of 10 people pulled over for DUI blame the Jews for something.

dolphinboy
07-31-06, 07:36 PM
I'm watching Lethal Weapon 2 right now who wnats to come over? :D

How many Jews does he shoot in that one? ;)

nodeerforamonth
07-31-06, 07:36 PM
:up: news flash to the OP some Jews DID kill Christ, be mad at them not at the movie

uh... wasn't it the Romans that killed him?

Bacon
07-31-06, 07:38 PM
How many Jews does he shoot in that one? ;)
If Joe Pesci is jewsih then 1 if not then none

Star Wars Guy
07-31-06, 07:43 PM
My two cents:

Has Mel vandalized, killed, tortured, etc. anyone for being a (insert religion, race, I.Q. level, etc. here) ? Not that I've heard of. But if you want to boycott his stuff over remarks that he made, it's a free country and you have every right to do so. Just don't get pissed at me if I don't join in.

In the Chasing Amy commentary, Kevin Smith said "F_ck DVD". I didn't rush out and boycott his movies because he made remarks against DVDs. ;)

Bacon
07-31-06, 07:47 PM
Has Mel vandalized, killed, tortured, etc. anyone for being a (insert religion, race, I.Q. level, etc. here) ?
Yes he helped kill those damn Brits in The Patriot

;)

dolphinboy
07-31-06, 07:52 PM
If Joe Pesci is jewsih then 1 if not then none

The character acted like a Jew (whiny, only interested in money, always butting in), so that's close enough for Mel.

Star Wars Guy
07-31-06, 07:53 PM
Yes he helped kill those damn Brits in The Patriot

;)

I see where you are going with this....The Patriot. Braveheart. Lived in Australia. I see the pattern. He hates all things British! ;)

dolphinboy
07-31-06, 07:53 PM
My two cents:

Has Mel vandalized, killed, tortured, etc. anyone for being a (insert religion, race, I.Q. level, etc. here) ? Not that I've heard of. But if you want to boycott his stuff over remarks that he made, it's a free country and you have every right to do so. Just don't get pissed at me if I don't join in.

In the Chasing Amy commentary, Kevin Smith said "F_ck DVD". I didn't rush out and boycott his movies because he made remarks against DVDs. ;)

F*ck dvds or f*ck Jews...I can see how these two seem about equal in their importance to make that analogy.

Bacon
07-31-06, 07:57 PM
The character acted like a Jew (whiny, only interested in money, always butting in), so that's close enough for Mel.
:eek: damn I must be Jewish becuase those 3 things fit me to a T

pdinosaur
07-31-06, 08:00 PM
personally, i'd just wonder if gibson was being paranoid. everyone and their kid brother seemingly called him an anti semite for his movie. could just be he thought a jew was trying to punish him

Bandoman
07-31-06, 08:04 PM
Some Catholics might be saved if they accept Jesus, but overall, I think that religion has many teaching that blatantly goes against the Bible.

But I'm certainly no expert on religion but I brought up the Catholic vs Christian point as an example of all the differing aspects of Christian denominations.

But what if you're wrong and the Cathlics are right?

Star Wars Guy
07-31-06, 08:11 PM
F*ck dvds or f*ck Jews...I can see how these two seem about equal in their importance to make that analogy.

Well this is a DVD message board....;)

JasonF
07-31-06, 08:14 PM

The same thing that happens to everyone. According to Judaism:

There are 7 laws that God gave to Noah, which all men must follow.
Jews have enterred into a covenant with God. They will be God's chosen people; in return, they must obey 613 commandments.
There is an afterlife. Details on that afterlife are sketchy.

Judaism isn't really a "reward and punishment" religion. It's a "here are some guidelines, you should follow them" religion. In general, when a Jew obeys a commandment, it's not because he's trying to get into heaven -- it's because it's the right thing to do.

dave-o
07-31-06, 08:18 PM
Is being Jewish a Faith or Race? ;) I know Jews on both sides of the issue. So does this make Mel Racist or Anti Jewish Faith? If it's Anti-Jewish Faith then many here on dvdtalk are just like Mel because you spout your anti-religious views all the time.

So cast your first stone....

Considering history, I think you are being a little disengenuous here...

The Bus
07-31-06, 08:19 PM
I don't want this page to get filled up without it containing the phrase "sugar tits".

Brent L
07-31-06, 08:25 PM
uh... wasn't it the Romans that killed him?

The Romans killed Jesus Christ, but the jews (his own people) offered him up to them to be killed.

And so what? I don't get why it's such a touchy subject. I'm a white American, and people that I descended from more than likely helped slaughter the native Americans, etc... I'm not a big fan of that little aspect of my heritage , but I'm not going to ignore it or whatever.

I'm have a big laugh over certain "news" shows spouting off that Mel Gibson's career is over. Who exactly do they think they're kidding? It's as if this guy who isn't a typical Hollywood liberal, and all of these news outlets are creaming over this entire thing making a huge deal out of it, in hopes that it really does end his career.

Which it will not do.

The average filmgoer simply doesn't care enough boycott a film that looks interesting to them just because someone involved in the production got drunk spouted off a few racist comments.

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 08:30 PM
The same thing that happens to everyone. According to Judaism:

There are 7 laws that God gave to Noah, which all men must follow.
Jews have enterred into a covenant with God. They will be God's chosen people; in return, they must obey 613 commandments.
There is an afterlife. Details on that afterlife are sketchy.

Judaism isn't really a "reward and punishment" religion. It's a "here are some guidelines, you should follow them" religion. In general, when a Jew obeys a commandment, it's not because he's trying to get into heaven -- it's because it's the right thing to do.

Alright alright don't get cocky boychick. :p j/k

Thanks JasonF. I guess I kinda remember some reference in the Old Testament about a place called "Sheol" dealing with the afterlife but I guess that's a non issue? Oh well, just so you know it's not always about Heaven or Hell for all Christians. Believe it or not there are many just trying to "live right" do their thing according to their faith. Much like Jews and Muslims.

Jackskeleton
07-31-06, 08:41 PM
Not to mention that if you start watching films because of one person's view in the creative aspect then you might as well stop going to the theater as you will find others view on life to be much different and some times even scarier than what Gibson's belief is.

If it's a quality picture, I'll be there.

CRM114
07-31-06, 08:44 PM
The Book of Revelation is apocalyptic literature. It's symbolic of the resistance to 1st century persecution. I have never been taught to take anything in the book literally. Call it a cop out if you want, I really couldn't care less.

Oh, Revelations is symbolic literature but the rest of Bible is not. :lol:

The Bus
07-31-06, 08:45 PM
Also: sugar tits.

Brent L
07-31-06, 08:45 PM
Not to mention that if you start watching films because of one person's view in the creative aspect then you might as well stop going to the theater as you will find others view on life to be much different and some times even scarier than what Gibson's belief is.

If it's a quality picture, I'll be there.

Exactly what I feel about all of this. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't really much more to say about it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Giantrobo
07-31-06, 08:56 PM

Well, if it makes you feel better, I was taught differently. ;):lol: Ah ain't no Catholic(not that being one is a bad thing) and I believe The Book of Revelation(no "s") is a book where some of it may have come to pass already and other parts are on the way. :D

dave-o
07-31-06, 08:59 PM

We have an eyewitness! :D

PJsig08
07-31-06, 09:01 PM
From TMZ

http://www.tmz.com/media/2006/07/9141935---mel-gibson-front-photo.jpg

Ranger
07-31-06, 09:04 PM
But what if you're wrong and the Cathlics are right?
But with the examples in that link, it seems apparent that there are many Catholic traditions that are not supported by the bible. In fact, some seem to be explicitly forbidden such as the worshipping of Mary and having the Pope take the title of the holy father and so on. Why would I want to associate myself with that religion if it encourages rituals that I believe are foribidden by the bible?

dave-o
07-31-06, 09:04 PM
Quick question for those who feel that an actor/director/writer/ etc.'s views are irrelavent to their craft...is there a point where you would draw the line and not see their works anymore (i.e. unrelated to quality)?

Bacon
07-31-06, 09:07 PM
Quick question for those who feel that an actor/director/writer/ etc.'s views are irrelavent to their craft...is there a point where you would draw the line and not see their works anymore (i.e. unrelated to quality)?
If they killed/raped someone I might

Mr. Salty
07-31-06, 09:09 PM
If they killed/raped someone I might
OK, then how do you feel about watching Roman Polanski's movies?

chanster
07-31-06, 09:10 PM
Why do you think all these Bible Thumpin' Chrisitians support Israel all the way? Its because its a sign of the End of Days. Just turn on to the 700 Club for your daily dose of Pat Robertson standing behind a map of the Middle East and explaining how Hezbollah is really some ancient Biblical enemy. That happens right after he sells his shake that caused him to leg press 2,000 pounds!!!

What this thread needs is a little Martin Luther!

Bacon
07-31-06, 09:18 PM
Never seen any of his stuff

fundevil
07-31-06, 09:21 PM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8/notmelgibsonfrontphotors6.jpg

dolphinboy
07-31-06, 09:22 PM

Since Roman's killed Jesus, I won't watch any movie directed by, acted in, or with a character named Roman.

I won't even watch True Romance, because Roman is in the title.

maingon
07-31-06, 09:25 PM
Not me. I like the guy. He has his personal demons, and apparently he has his own personal beliefs... neither of which would stop me from seeing the next movie of his.

i agree, the media is making a way to big deal out of this, the guy was drunk give him a break. like you said everyone has personal demons. I bet many people here have said stuff like that about different races and religons at a point in your life I still like the guy. His movies are usally really good.

Same thing with Tom cruise I dont care about his personal life, his movies usually rock, Mission impossible 3 was the best action movie in years

Peep
07-31-06, 09:25 PM

The interesting assumption here is that Christianity is the one true religion and that Jesus even existed. Imagine how the Jews feel, not even believing in the guy, and being persecuted for causing his death.

Brent L
07-31-06, 09:35 PM
The only people who flat out blame the Jews for killing Jesus are the douchebag racists of the world. Most Christians do not believe that way at all. I've never known a Christian who looked down on Jews, especially not for anything like that.

Lt Ripley
07-31-06, 09:39 PM
The interesting assumption here is that Christianity is the one true religion and that Jesus even existed. Imagine how the Jews feel, not even believing in the guy, and being persecuted for causing his death.

Jews never said they don't believe Jesus existed. They just believe that he was NOT a prophet.

movielib
07-31-06, 09:43 PM
Jews never said they don't believe Jesus existed. They just believe that he was NOT a prophet.
I don't believe Jesus existed and I used to be Jewish. Does that count?

Lt Ripley
07-31-06, 09:57 PM

I guess I should have not used the word never. But the basic point came through. Hell, I am agnostic, so I don't know if any of it is true or not. I see Jews, Christians, Athiests, Muslims, Wickans, Scienfrickinretardologists, Hindus, and any other religions I left out all to be equally (blissfully) ignorant. (Please turn on sarcasm detectors for that last sentence.) I don't look down on any religions, except Scienfrickinretardology. Faith must be something wonderful. I have seen many people of different religions that truely have it (many fake it), but I haven't read or seen anything to personally give me that faith.

elperdido
07-31-06, 10:02 PM
From TMZ

OMG!!!! Look at that curly thingy on his hair HE IS SUPERMAN!!!

movielib
07-31-06, 10:05 PM
I guess I should have not used the word never. But the basic point came through. Hell, I am agnostic, so I don't know if any of it is true or not. I see Jews, Christians, Athiests, Muslims, Wickans, Scienfrickinretardologists, Hindus, and any other religions I left out all to be equally (blissfully) ignorant. (Please turn on sarcasm detectors for that last sentence.) I don't look down on any religions, except Scienfrickinretardology. Faith must be something wonderful. I have seen many people of different religions that truely have it (many fake it), but I haven't read or seen anything to personally give me that faith.
My post was mostly meant to be tongue-in-cheek. But what I said in it is true.

Scienfrickinretardologists
:lol: Love that word!

Lt Ripley
07-31-06, 10:09 PM
My post was mostly meant to be tongue-in-cheek. But what I said in it is true.

Oh, I understood that. I even grinned! I was just explaining myself a little more, since some others may come along and get truely offended, when I did not intend to offend.

Love that word!

Thanks. They really drive me crazy.

General Zod
07-31-06, 10:13 PM
OMG!!!! Look at that curly thingy on his hair HE IS SUPERMAN!!!
Hair gets like that after you wear a Yamulka for a long time.

movielib
07-31-06, 10:19 PM
Hair gets like that after you wear a Yamulka for a long time.
rotfl

movielib
07-31-06, 10:27 PM
To be fair, :D is it any different than Gays who don't like Trannies, Lesbians who don't like Gay men, Gay men who don't like Bi's?

Dark blacks who don't like Light blacks, Mixed blacks who think they're better than non-mixed blacks.

Mexicans who don't like El Salvadorians, Cubans who don't like Puerto Ricans...

Japanese who don't like Chinese, Koreans who don't like Filipinos....

Northern Californians who hate Southern Californians....

Everybody hates everybody. :lol::(

National Brotherhood Week Lyrics

by Tom Lehrer

(Intro) One week of every year is designated National Brotherhood Week. This is just one of many such weeks honoring various worthy causes. One of my favorites is National Make-fun-of-the-handicapped Week which Frank Fontaine and Jerry Lewis are in charge of as you know. During National Brotherhood Week various special events are arranged to drive home the message of brotherhood. This year, for example, on the first day of the week Malcolm X was killed which gives you an idea of how effective the whole thing is. I'm sure we all agree that we ought to love one another and I know there are people in the world that do not love their fellow human beings and I hate people like that. Here's a song about National Brotherhood Week.

Oh, the white folks hate the black folks,
And the black folks hate the white folks.
To hate all but the right folks
Is an old established rule.

But during National Brotherhood Week, National Brotherhood Week,
Lena Horne and Sheriff Clarke are dancing cheek to cheek.
It's fun to eulogize
The people you despise,
As long as you don't let 'em in your school.

Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It's American as apple pie.

New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it's very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can't stand.
You can tolerate him if you try.

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Moslems,
And everybody hates the Jews.

It's National Everyone- smile-at-one-another-hood Week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It's only for a week, so have no fear.
Be grateful that it doesn't last all year!

Rogue588
07-31-06, 10:32 PM
Since Roman's killed Jesus, I won't watch any movie directed by, acted in, or with a character named Roman.

I won't even watch True Romance, because Roman is in the title.:lol:

I don't look down on any religions, except Scienfrickinretardology.Are you drunk? :p

THX7966
07-31-06, 10:35 PM
Isn't the timing of all this a little suspect considering his new movie is coming out soon?

Lt Ripley
07-31-06, 10:48 PM
Are you drunk? :p

Sometimes... :D

marty888
07-31-06, 10:53 PM
Isn't the timing of all this a little suspect considering his new movie is coming out soon?

Huh? ? ?

Exactly what manipulations and motivations are you implying?

<i>"I've got a new movie coming out so let's get drunk, reckless, and offensive and see if that helps sell tickets</i>" doesn't sound like a good game plan to me.

Or is it <i>"Let's arrest the drunk movie star as he speeds along the highway, and maybe he'll give us some freebies to his new movie"</i>?

C'mon .... share your suspicions.

Jackskeleton
07-31-06, 10:56 PM
Besides that.. the movie comes out around christmas. If this is an act to put light on his project than that's some amazingly long term promotions for a film.

Rogue588
07-31-06, 10:57 PM
Guess no one told him about Myspace?

Rockmjd23
07-31-06, 11:01 PM
Umm, no. The creation stories in Genesis are another example. As are many of the prophetic books. You do know what apocalyptic literature is, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptic_literature
Do you know anything about the Bible? :lol: God, why do I even bother responding.

movielib
07-31-06, 11:01 PM
Yes, obviously it was a set-up. Mel's enemies poured tequila down his throat, put him in the car going 42 mph over the speed limit and told him to say those things to an actor who would be playing a cop who would pull him over because they were lines in a new film they wanted him to star in. But it really was a cop! Poor Mel fell for it. He's the victim.

(Sounds a little like North By Northwest.)

Lt Ripley
07-31-06, 11:13 PM
Yes, obviously it was a set-up. Mel's enemies poured tequila down his throat, put him in the car going 42 mph over the speed limit and told him to say those things to an actor who would be playing a cop who would pull him over because they were lines in a new film they wanted him to star in. But it really was a cop! Poor Mel fell for it. He's the victim.

"Damn Liberals!"

chanster
07-31-06, 11:52 PM
Mel Gibson was right! The Deputy was a JEW!
Let the zionist conspiracy dogs loose!

Deputy Hopes Gibson Thinks About DUI

* Print
* Save

Article Tools Sponsored By
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 31, 2006

Filed at 11:09 p.m. ET

CALABASAS, Calif. (AP) -- The deputy who arrested Mel Gibson on suspicion of drunken driving said Monday that he feels bad for damage to the star's reputation but hopes Gibson thinks twice before drinking and getting behind the wheel.

James Mee, a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy, told The Associated Press that he considered it a routine arrest and didn't take seriously any comments that Gibson made.

Gibson reportedly unleashed an anti-Semitic tirade and made other offensive comments when he was pulled over, initially for speeding, early Friday along the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu. He was then arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Gibson has issued a public apology for his conduct without specifying what he said or did.

''I don't take pride in hurting Mr. Gibson,'' said Mee, a 17-year deputy who is Jewish. ''What I had hoped out of this is that he would think twice before he gets behind the wheel of a car and was drinking. ... I don't want to ruin his career. I don't want to defame him in any way or hurt him.''

An official police report on the arrest substantiates claims that Gibson made anti-Semitic remarks and threatened a deputy, officials said earlier Monday.

Sheriff's Department officials sent prosecutors their case, which also says a tequila bottle was found in Gibson's car when he was pulled over.

The entertainment Web site TMZ.com had reported that the sheriff's department was considering eliminating the anti-Semitic remarks from its official report.

The report forwarded to prosecutors cites Gibson as making disparaging comments about Jews, according to the law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

TMZ reported that Gibson said, ''The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world,'' and asked the arresting officer, ''Are you a Jew?''

In the interview outside his home, Mee would not comment specifically on what Gibson said.

''That stuff is booze talking,'' the deputy said. ''There's two things that booze does. It amplifies your basic personality. If you are a laid-back kind of person, just an easygoing kind of person, booze is going to amplify that and you'll be just sitting around going how it's a wonderful day.

''But, if you are a high-strung person, it's going to amplify that, and all the bad things are going to come out.''

Questions were raised about whether police were covering up Gibson's remarks partly because the actor has a relationship with Sheriff Lee Baca. He has dressed in a sheriff's uniform to film public service announcements for Baca's Star Organization, a charity group that raises scholarships for children of department employees. Gibson also donated $10,000, said sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore.

A tentative arraignment date was set for Sept. 28, and a sheriff's spokesman Monday defended the department's handling of the case.

The department was ''convinced because of our investigation and because of his own self-illuminating statement that he will be convicted of driving under the influence,'' Whitmore said.

Gibson, 50, won a best-director Oscar for 1995's ''Braveheart,'' and starred in the ''Lethal Weapon'' and ''Mad Max'' films, among others.

----

THX7966
07-31-06, 11:57 PM
Huh? ? ?

Exactly what manipulations and motivations are you implying?

<i>"I've got a new movie coming out so let's get drunk, reckless, and offensive and see if that helps sell tickets</i>" doesn't sound like a good game plan to me.

Or is it <i>"Let's arrest the drunk movie star as he speeds along the highway, and maybe he'll give us some freebies to his new movie"</i>?

C'mon .... share your suspicions.

You must be the one who thinks Tom and Katie are really in love. I wouldn't put ANYTHING past Hollywood these days.

movielib
08-01-06, 12:09 AM
Mel Gibson was right! The Deputy was a JEW!
Let the zionist conspiracy dogs loose!
They already are loose:

http://aztlan.net/in_vino_veritas.htm

MEL GIBSON: "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world"

"In Vino Veritas"

by
Hector Carreon
La Voz de Aztlan

Los Angeles, Alta California - July 29, 2006 - (ACN) Mel Gibson is telling much truth when he said to a Los Angeles County Sheriff that "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" during the early morning hours of July 28 near his home in Malibu, California. God bless Mel Gibson for his courage!

Mr. Gibson, producer and director of the highly successful film "The Passion of the Christ", has again provided a great service to the world by utilizing his celebrity status in stating a truth that most ordinary gentiles are afraid to say. Mel Gibson is now being crucified, as was done during the production of his film on Jesus Christ, for saying a very inconvenient truth about world Jewry, especially during the current Israeli killing rampage in Lebanon.

It did not take long for the Jewish dominated media to inflict pain on Mel Gibson for his statement. One reporter by the name of Harvey Levin said, "Mel Gibson is garbage. What an awful person he is. True enough, I'm Jewish, so the grotesque remarks didn't please me none". The truth never matters to Jews even when confronted by irrefutable evidence. Do they ever ask themselves, "what is it that we do that makes most of the world dislike us"? Why do they have to have such high security in their Jewish centers? Why did a Muslim shoot up the Jewish Federation in Seattle two days ago? There is no doubt, Jews suffer from "collective denial!"

There are many questions concerning the incident that occurred on Friday when Mel Gibson, driving in his automobile, was stopped by a Los Angeles County Sheriff near his home. There is no doubt that certain Jews were out to get Mr. Gibson ever since he produced "The Passion of the Christ". Was Sheriff's Deputy James Mee, a Jew, lying in wait for Mel Gibson. Pacific Coast Highway in this part of Malibu is a well known police trap. Here they can wait for celebrities that live in Malibu and that they know are coming home from restaurants, social engagements and parties where drinks are served. Why was Deputy Mee ordered to redo his police report by his superiors? Most important of all, how did reporter Harvey Levin end up with a copy of the original and unapproved report written by Deputy Mee and which Levine used to justify calling Mel Gibson "garbage". The report was obtained by Levine within a few hours after it was written. Was there collusion here between Deputy Mee, Levine and other Jews?

Something smells and it is not what breathalysers are designed to detect! So what if Gibson had a few glasses of wine. DUI enforcement has now become a huge racket that generates huge revenues for law enforcement and huge profits for so called "Alcohol Education Schools" that are mostly owned by members of MADD. In Los Angeles County, some police officers have been found to have lied in their police reports. It is most probable that Deputy Mee's original report was full of errors and that is why his superiors ordered him to revise it. It is extremely unfair for the Jewish media to utilize the unrevised report to demonize Mr. Gibson in their vendetta against the actor/producer simply because he refused to leave out from the film "The Passion of the Christ" certain elements that were objectionable to the Jews.

Mel Gibson is an outstanding and talented individual and not "garbage" as the Harvey Levine says. His upcoming Mayan epic, "Apocalypto," will be a classic. Our community has great respect for him and thanks him for his great gifts to the Mexican people while filming in the jungles of Mexico's Veracruz state. His generous donations to build houses for poor people in the region were greatly appreciated by the Republic of Mexico.
Wow. Just wow.

And I doubt very much that Deputy Mee's report was "full of errors" since it has been reported that there is a police audiotape of the incident. And his superiors didn't order him to revise his report. They just, at first, were going to bury the four pages that reported the worst of Mel's verbal garbage.

mndtrp
08-01-06, 12:20 AM
What kind of apology does everyone who hasn't accepted the current one want? My apologies have always been similar: simply stated, meek, accepting the failure. Granted, I've never pissed off as many people as he has, but I have to wonder what he has to do to get people to accept his apology.

My guess is, he can't.

xmiyux
08-01-06, 12:22 AM
But with the examples in that link, it seems apparent that there are many Catholic traditions that are not supported by the bible. In fact, some seem to be explicitly forbidden such as the worshipping of Mary and having the Pope take the title of the holy father and so on. Why would I want to associate myself with that religion if it encourages rituals that I believe are foribidden by the bible?

First off Catholics aren't sola scriptura at all. They believe in the Bible but also strongly in the oral traditions that it is believed the church preserved.

Also, and this is a pet peeve of mine, they do not pray to Mary or Saints as they pray to God. They petition them to pray for them, just like if i was to ask kvrdave to pray for me, or my mother to pray for me. They ask Saints to pray for them. Mary isn't worshipped.

edit: But if you feel the rituals are forbidden by the Bible then absolutely you should choose a different faith. Every religion by its very nature will believe it has the truth. If i felt that my religion was wrong then and something else was correct than i would be an idiot to not convert to whatever i thought was true.

movielib
08-01-06, 12:28 AM
I've been waiting for someone to do this. Print a transcript of the four pages of the deputy's report. From the L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-gibsontranscript31jul31,0,6920819.story?coll=la-home-entertainment

Transcript of Gibson Arrest Report

TMZ.com, a celebrity news website, published a four-page portion of Los Angeles Sheriff's Deputy James Mee's handwritten report of actor-director Mel Gibson's arrest on suspicion of drunk driving on July 28, 2006. The Los Angeles Times confirmed the authenticity of the posted pages.

Here's a transcript of the arrest report, with profanities redacted and unreadable words in parentheses:

Page 5 of 8

Gibson performed the above sobriety test with the above results. Gibson also completed a preliminary alcohol screening test with result of .12% B.A.C. (see attached).

I then formed the opinion Gibson was intoxicated and had been driving (unreadable) of 23152 (unreadable), drunk driving.

Gibson was cooperative with the field investigation. His conduct began to change when I advised him he was being detained/arrested for drunk driving. Gibson became increasingly belligerent as he took stock of his predicament. Gibson angrily stated "Everything's (profanity redacted)," "My life is (profanity redacted)." Gibson became fixated on his notoriety and concern that this incident was going to be publicized.

In order to calm Gibson's concerns, I directed Gibson to the back seat of the patrol car, telling him, if he remained cooperative I would transport him without handcuffing. Gibson quickly turned and bolted toward his own vehicle, as he said, "I'm not going to get into your car." Gibson attempted to escape arrest.

I chased after Gibson, catching up as he reached the driver's side of his vehicle. I (unreadable) onto Gibson's (unreadable) from his back side with my hands and turned him a quarter turn so he was facing his vehicle's left side. Gibson offered no resistance. I placed Gibson's hands behind his back and handcuffed him without…

Page 6 of 8 (Facsimile distorted)

Gibson's belligerent attitude (unreadable). Gibson (unreadable) out profanities (unreadable), calling me, "You mother (profanity redacted)." Gibson repeatedly threatened me, saying, "I'm going to (profanity redacted) you. You're going to regret you ever did this to me."

While en route to Lost Hills Sheriff's (unreadable), Gibson's conduct remained (unreadable). Gibson almost continually threatened me, saying he "owns Malibu" and will spend all his money to "get even" with me. Gibson blurted out a barrage of anti-Semitic remarks about "(profanity redacted) Jews." Gibson yelled out, "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked, "Are you a Jew?"

Gibson's conduct concerned and frightened me to a point, I called ahead to the station requesting a sergeant meet the arrival of my patrol car in the station parking lot. Sgt. T. Palmer, #264317 and Sgt. J. Benning, #292797 met with me as I had requested. I briefed them about Gibson's conduct before directing him out of the patrol car. Sgt. Palmer began videotaping Gibson….

Page 7 of 8

to capture any continued belligerent conduct… Sgt. Palmer tape-recorded the chemical test, breath test Gibson performed (unreadable) the booking that followed. Gibson displayed continued belligerent conduct and mood swings, in which he cooperated by completing the breath test, but refused to provide booking information or sign any document.

I stored Gibson's vehicle prior to transporting him to the station…. While conducting an inventory search of Gibson's vehicle, I found, EV-1, a 750 ml bottle labeled, "Cazadores Tequila," that was approx. ¾ full of liquid contents, concealed in a brown paper bag, on the right rear floor guard of the vehicle. EV-1 placement in the vehicle was within easy reach of Gibson while he had been driving. Gibson merely had to reach over the front center console separating the two front bucket seats.

I advised Gibson (unreadable) EV-1. Gibson asked, "Was it in a brown paper bag?" When I answered, "Yes," Gibson quickly replied, "It's not mine." I determined Gibson was driving a vehicle in possession of an open container of (unreadable)….

Page 8 of 8

beverage in violation of 23202(A).

Gibson was booked on the indicated charges with the approval of Watch Sgt. Benning and Watch Sgt. (unreadable), # 213438.

I tape-recorded the field investigation. I did not place the tape into evidence because it also contains (unreadable) of other traffic (unreadable) and may be evidentiary in those instances.

Source: TMZ.com
Deputy Mee's handwriting is awful!

Ranger
08-01-06, 12:38 AM
I'd cut him some slack since it seems like he's a field officer and works some long shifts. He probably wrote it at the end of his shift when he coud barely stay awake. I do wish the poice would just simply type their reports on the computer.

Pretty amazing that Gibson tried to run away like that. Seems like he knew he was in trouble.

movielib
08-01-06, 12:40 AM
I'd cut him some slack since it seems like he's a field officer and works some long shifts. He probably wrote it at the end of his shift when he coud barely stay awake. I do wish the poice would just simply type their reports on the computer.

Fortunately there's an audiotape of the entire incident and a videotape of the latter part after other officers arrived.

dave-o
08-01-06, 12:52 AM

As JasonF already said, basically the Jewish religion holds the view that as long as you are faithfully following your religion's commandments or tenets, you will get to the heaven of your religion. This is why it is so difficult for a Christian to convert to Judaism. As a Christian you have 10 basic rules to follow, if you convert you are adding an extra 603 rules. Thus, in order to be allowed to convert, you must show a strong committment and desire, for your own good (since you are taking on so much more responsibility, for lack of a better word).

And although this comes up quite a bit, I don't think most Jewish people consider being Jewish a race. In fact, many people get quite insulted by this idea because of its historical context. I know I have posted it many times before, but here is a great website that can fill you in on Judaism, Jewish beliefs (such as what type of afterlife they envsion), and customs.

http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

Regarding the topic at hand, Mel's tirade is more than what he said. It is a culmination of decades of the worst type of antisemitsm, the covert, under the surface, subtle kind. The kind where in interviews you say one thing one time but say another thing another time...and nothing can be directly proven.

He has on many occassions denied his antisemitic beliefs, but then again there are other times that he has said some downright "icky" and "borderline" offensive things regarding the Jewish people. He also has a long family history of extreme beliefs regarding Jewish people.

Then comes TPOTC and this movie harbored this exact kind of dangerous, insidious antisemitism (I know many people here don't see this or believe this to be true, but if you research the sources of the movie, the subtle elements of the movie that veered from the Gospels, and take into consideration the historical context of passion plays, things look quite different). This is the kind of antisemitism that can't be outright proven, the kind that if you voice concern over it, you get labled as being overly sensitive, and someone who is too quick to accuse others of anti-semitism.

But when he actually voices his beliefs (under the influence or not) and you add up all of his past actions, it paints a very clear picture. And guess what, for me it is a relief. Because now we have moved from that dangerous, shadowy, hidden in the corners type of prejuidice, to outright bigotry. Now we know, it is undeniable and out in the open. He no longer poses a threat in any subversive way. If he were to make a movie now with even a hint of antisemitic undercurrents, it can longer be swept under the rug.

Although I made up my decision a long time ago to avoid any of his work (based on quite a bit of research regarding him and his past, for anyone who is interested, go dredge up the old POTC threads to so see what I am referring to), now it will be easier for others to see him for what he is.

One last thing, I keep reading the term anti-jew? What is this and what does it mean? I hardly see it as meaning the same thing as antisemitic. There is a difference on many levels, no? Is this a sanitized word for antisemitic?

Ranger
08-01-06, 12:57 AM
Also, and this is a pet peeve of mine, they do not pray to Mary or Saints as they pray to God. They petition them to pray for them, just like if i was to ask kvrdave to pray for me, or my mother to pray for me. They ask Saints to pray for them. Mary isn't worshipped.
But to me, the thing is that unlike kvrdave, Mary and the Saints are dead - dead as in I don't think they can be communicated with (petitions or not).

I had many older generation Catholic relatives who once lived in New Orleans which is a fairly Catholic city. The thing that I noticed is that they all had statues of Mary in their gardens. I went to some Catholic churches and noticed that they'd have a large statue of Mary, surrounded by many candles. It just seems like idolatry to me especially since I consider Mary to be an ordinary woman and only special in that she was chosen to give birth to Jesus.

that's my perspective.

I appreciate the response but I think we need to get back to Mel Gibson.

mndtrp
08-01-06, 01:13 AM
Gibson asked, "Was it in a brown paper bag?" When I answered, "Yes," Gibson quickly replied, "It's not mine."
That's awesome. I didn't realize I could try using that excuse well into my 50's.

Rockmjd23
08-01-06, 01:17 AM
I went to some Catholic churches and noticed that they'd have a large statue of Mary, surrounded by many candles.
Every Catholic church I've ever been to has a statue of Mary on the left side of the altar, and a statue of Joseph on the right.
It just seems like idolatry to me especially since I consider Mary to be an ordinary woman and only special in that she was chosen to give birth to Jesus.
Obviously, that's where we part views. But, I wouldn't not call you a Christian because of it. ;)

kvrdave
08-01-06, 01:18 AM
He just added a whole lot of stuff from that nun who saw visions and wrote them up. You could call the stuff extra-biblical rather than non-biblical.

http://www.jesus-passion.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm

I'm on record here as saying I did not think the film was antisemitic (although I thought it stunk).

Thanks. It isn't something I would ever watch again either. It would seem odd that if it were anti-semetic, it's biggest supporters are those that are most fiercely pro-israel.

I didn't see anything that made me think that Jews were bad. I could certainly see it saying some Jews in positions of power were bad, but that could have been said about any movie that had a protagonist. :shrug:

Jackskeleton
08-01-06, 01:22 AM
You must be the one who thinks Tom and Katie are really in love. I wouldn't put ANYTHING past Hollywood these days.

Dude was drunk driving and ran his mouth. If anything, this is more of a negative for him than anything else. Tom and Katie are one thing, but this case is cut and dry.. a drunk driving and dug himself too deep. Put away your tinfoil hat on this one.

kvrdave
08-01-06, 01:26 AM

That's okay, I don't believe Plato or Socrates ever existed either. Oh wait, that's also crazy. -wink-

Jackskeleton
08-01-06, 01:40 AM
Wait.. are we going to boycott Plato and Socrates now or has the thread been directed so far off it's original pointless topic that it can soon be closed? ;)

Rogue588
08-01-06, 01:49 AM
Wait.. are we going to boycott Plato and Socrates now or has the thread been directed so far off it's original pointless topic that it can soon be closed? ;)http://mixnmojo0.tripod.com/teenwebsite/80spage/billted3.jpg

No way, dude!

LurkerDan
08-01-06, 01:52 AM
What kind of apology does everyone who hasn't accepted the current one want? My apologies have always been similar: simply stated, meek, accepting the failure. Granted, I've never pissed off as many people as he has, but I have to wonder what he has to do to get people to accept his apology.

My guess is, he can't.
I think people are accepting of his apology regarding his behavior (though people still believe he should be punished). But for some things, an apology just doesn't mean much because there's nothing to apologize for, ie there's no mistake to make up for. If he is truly an anti-semite (as the words show), what does an apology mean? That he's sorry his words got reported? It's hard for people to accept an apology as meaningful when the apology is supposed to be for something that Gibson THINKS, as opposed to something he did or said. :shrug:

Rockmjd23
08-01-06, 01:53 AM
That's okay, I don't believe Plato or Socrates ever existed either. Oh wait, that's also crazy. -wink-
We all know you don't believe man set foot on the moon either. You and your crazy church.;)

JasonF
08-01-06, 02:04 AM
A schoolteacher asks her students to identify various quotes, by author and year.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident ...," she says.

"Thomas Jefferson, 1776!," shouts out little Moishe.

"Very good!," she says. "Now, government of the people, by the people, for the people ...."

"Abraham Lincoln, 1863!," shouts out little Shmuel.

"Very good!," the teacher says. "Now, one small step for man, one giant leap ...."

"Neil Armstrong, 1969!," says Herschel.

A voice from the back of the room mutters, "Fucking Jews."

"WHO SAID THAT?," bellows the teacher.

"Mel Gibson, 2006!," says Shlomo.

island007
08-01-06, 02:16 AM
Is the boycott over yet?

DVD Polizei
08-01-06, 02:21 AM
Too bad he didn't get a Rodney King spanking. Then he could've really played Jesus in the upcoming sequel to his Anti-Jew movie.

kvrdave
08-01-06, 02:25 AM
We all know you don't believe man set foot on the moon either. You and your crazy church.;)
:lol: No, I'm the heretic that does believe it.

island007
08-01-06, 02:27 AM
Mel's apology was good enough for me. It is pretty much a non-story in my State.

Legolas
08-01-06, 02:49 AM

But what Mel said is much worse than those who actually act upon it because Mel sells more magazines.

Cancer Man
08-01-06, 05:48 AM
movielib that blatantly biased and anti-Semitic article you've provided is so full of crap and not only does it sprout out tired cliche's of Israel being the bad guy in the Middle East and Jews "controlling everything", it even goes as far as criticising the drink driving laws as a money making scam (even though drink driving causes tens of thousands of injuries and fatalities every year and the punishment for drink drivers is not harsh enough).

And I think it was just a bizarre and ironic co-incidence that the deputy that arrested Mel Gibson was Jewish.

Cancer Man
08-01-06, 06:33 AM
Playboy: Do you believe in Darwin's theory of evolution or that God created man in his image?

Gibson: The latter.

Playboy: So you can't accept that we descended from monkeys and apes?

Gibson: No, I think it's bullshit. If it isn't, why are they still around? How come apes aren't people yet? It's a nice theory, but I can't swallow it. There's a big credibility gap. The carbon dating thing that tells you how long something's been around, how accurate is that, really? I've got one of Darwin's books at home and some of that stuff is pretty damn funny. Some of his stuff is true, like that the giraffe has a long neck so it can reach the leaves. But I just don't think you can swallow the whole piece.
-ohbfrank-

If the little dipshit honestly believes that evolution is a pack of lies then he could also believe that the Jews are responsible for all the wars as well. He's a crank, bigot and idiot. But I will still watch Mel Gibson's older movies regardless and I even still listen to Michael Jackson's older music as well, even though I know what a child molesting weirdo he really is. And I also think Polanski's The Pianist is a better Holocaust movie than Speilberg's rather glib Schindler's List.

Star Wars Guy
08-01-06, 07:59 AM

Bill and Ted proved the existence of Socrates.
"All we are is dust in the wind, dude."
"Yes! Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives!"

movielib
08-01-06, 08:01 AM
movielib that blatantly biased and anti-Semitic article you've provided is so full of crap and not only does it sprout out tired cliche's of Israel being the bad guy in the Middle East and Jews "controlling everything", it even goes as far as criticising the drink driving laws as a money making scam (even though drink driving causes tens of thousands of injuries and fatalities every year and the punishment for drink drivers is not harsh enough).

And I think it was just a bizarre and ironic co-incidence that the deputy that arrested Mel Gibson was Jewish.
I'm not sure what your point is.

I also believe it is a bizarre and ironic coincidence that the deputy is Jewish. But clearly the author uses it as a phony "basis" for much of his bigoted article. Also, I was responding with something pertinent to the post previous to mine.

Rockmjd23
08-01-06, 08:13 AM
An apology is just the first step. He needs to seek help for not only the alcohol but for his whacko views. I'm sure there is some sort of program he can get involved in. He should now go the extra mile to show that he truly believes his statements were wrong and he doesn't follow that like of thinking anymore. Maybe meet with Jewish leaders. I don't believe that ignorance and intolerance is permanent and can't be overcome. I know ex-hate group members that have changed their lives around. It won't be good enough for many people, but that's the best he can do now.

movielib
08-01-06, 08:26 AM
An apology is just the first step. He needs to seek help for not only the alcohol but for his whacko views. I'm sure there is some sort of program he can get involved in. He should now go the extra mile to show that he truly believes his statements were wrong and he doesn't follow that like of thinking anymore. Maybe meet with Jewish leaders. I don't believe that ignorance and intolerance is permanent and can't be overcome. I know ex-hate group members that have changed their lives around. It won't be good enough for many people, but that's the best he can do now.
I agree that people can change in that way. I like your suggestions and I would hope Mel would make this sort of attempt. There are a lot of things I like about Mel and I have always given him the benefit of the doubt about the anti-semitic charges until now when he removed all doubt. I was going to see Apocalypto and probably still will (I am not going to "boycott' his films).

I truly would like to see Mel turn his life around on both the alcoholism and the intolerance.

johnglass
08-01-06, 08:38 AM
Gibson asked, "Was it in a brown paper bag?" When I answered, "Yes," Gibson quickly replied, "It's not mine."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/hogiehut/Puss-in-Boots_01.jpg

Jaymole
08-01-06, 08:58 AM
There comes a point when an actor's personal views & life may start to affect how you percieve him on the screen.

I'm sure if Hitler acted in films in the 1930's, and you saw him in a sympathetic role, you would probably have a hard time accepting it.

Obviously Mel Gibson has not reached that point yet, but I can see where it may start having a negative impact on his film roles. However, if he just sticks to directing, it will be less of an hinderence.

As for the earlier comments on Jesus, I am Jewish but I believe Jesus to be one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, Jews in history....I just don't believe he was the son of God.

Josh-da-man
08-01-06, 09:20 AM
Thanks. It isn't something I would ever watch again either. It would seem odd that if it were anti-semetic, it's biggest supporters are those that are most fiercely pro-israel.

That's just to get Jesus back, though.

And and then Israel will be destroyed and Jesus will cast all of the Jews (and everyone else that isn't a Christian) into the lake fire where they'll suffer horribly for all eternity.

Anubis2005X
08-01-06, 09:51 AM
-ohbfrank-

If the little dipshit honestly believes that evolution is a pack of lies then he could also believe that the Jews are responsible for all the wars as well. He's a crank, bigot and idiot. But I will still watch Mel Gibson's older movies regardless and I even still listen to Michael Jackson's older music as well, even though I know what a child molesting weirdo he really is. And I also think Polanski's The Pianist is a better Holocaust movie than Speilberg's rather glib Schindler's List.

Not to get off on a tangent, but if you think you're a descendant of a freakin' monkey, that's your deal, but I don't think it makes me an idiot to disagree.

chess
08-01-06, 09:51 AM
As for the earlier comments on Jesus, I am Jewish but I believe Jesus to be one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, Jews in history....I just don't believe he was the son of God.

Einstein

movielib
08-01-06, 10:00 AM
Bill and Ted proved the existence of Socrates.

Well, "So-crates" anyway. ;)

movielib
08-01-06, 10:04 AM
Not to get off on a tangent, but if you think you're a descendant of a freakin' monkey, that's your deal...
Actually, I'm a very distant cousin of a freakin' monkey. We both evolved from a common ancestor.

I won't insist that you and I are related in any similar way. ;)

Dead
08-01-06, 10:12 AM
For some reason I picture you originally writing "...because of the allegations made by the jew-controlled meida?" and then changing it.

Picture me telling you to go fuck yourself you slandering asshole, and then NOT changing it.

Guys, these comments are way out of line.

Dead
08-01-06, 10:14 AM

dolphinboy, this isn't helping anything.

raven56706
08-01-06, 10:21 AM
oh man... why do we care what Mel thinks... he was drunk and he said some dumb things and he said sorry... what else do we want.. i mean seriously... if he crashed i would be still living my life and still paying high gas prices... he said sorry people.. get over it.

LurkerDan
08-01-06, 10:43 AM
what the hell happened to this thread?

worst. thread. merge. ever.

Seriously, I don't know where the second thread came from (don't think it was in other) but threads shouldn't be merged when there's significant discussion in both of them. There were significant lines of discussion in both that are now very difficult to follow.

raven56706
08-01-06, 10:46 AM
after reading those negative posts... we might have the hezbollah here.. ;)

just kidding...

wetsprockets
08-01-06, 10:49 AM
what the hell happened to this thread?

worst. thread. merge. ever.

Seriously, I don't know where the second thread came from (don't think it was in other) but threads shouldn't be merged when there's significant discussion in both of them. There were significant lines of discussion in both that are now very difficult to follow.

Absolutely. Awful decision.

Bandoman
08-01-06, 10:51 AM
I, for one, completely support the mods' decision to merge this, and any other, thread.

:banana:

LurkerDan
08-01-06, 10:54 AM
I, for one, completely support the mods' decision to merge this, and any other, thread.

:banana:
Here, Bando, come a little closer, I need to wipe something off your nose. *wipes* What is this stuff? Ewwww, it's shit! Where's your nose been?

elperdido
08-01-06, 11:07 AM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/elperdido/HeadinAss.jpg:D2:

nazz
08-01-06, 11:26 AM
From TMZ

Impressive how in the middle of a drunken rage he still managed a smile for the head shot.

JasonF
08-01-06, 11:40 AM
Not to get off on a tangent, but if you think you're a descendant of a freakin' monkey, that's your deal, but I don't think it makes me an idiot to disagree.

If you want to reject the theory of evolution, it might give you more credibility if you actually understood the theory first. Evolution does not say that we are descended from monkeys. As movielib points out, it says that we share a common ancestor with monkeys.

grundle
08-01-06, 11:47 AM

There is no ceremony for that. That's the whole point.

grundle
08-01-06, 11:47 AM
grundle, I don't think anyone is calling for Mel to be charged with a hate crime. His being drunk and speeding is what he needs to be punished for now. But since he's a famous guy who made one of the biggest movies that many suspected that he made because of his anti-Jew views, it's fair to bring it up against him now.

The Anti-Defamation League said they wanted him to be charged with a hate crime.

raven56706
08-01-06, 11:56 AM
what i dont get is why the hell we care.... geez.. there is a war happening where innocent children are dieing and the world wants a country to make peace with a terrorist group and we are here today giving a flying f for a movie star saying something when he was drunk...

god... please pull the trigger.

Rockmjd23
08-01-06, 12:00 PM
The Anti-Defamation League said they wanted him to be charged with a hate crime.
I think that's a bit extreme. On what grounds would there be a hate crime involved? I'm not doubting it, I just don't know.

raven56706
08-01-06, 12:17 PM
here is his statement:
There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God's child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.

This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It's about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

apology accepted.... now lets figure out how to fix the gas prices..

movielib
08-01-06, 12:21 PM
I posted the ADL press release which included Foxman's statement. I didn't see anything about a hate crime.

Link?

movielib
08-01-06, 12:29 PM
here is his statement:
There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God's child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.

This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It's about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad.
That is much better than his first vague apology. I think it's a great first step. My mind is very open to his sincerity and I look forward to seeing this process go forward.

apology accepted.... now lets figure out how to fix the gas prices..
Regardless, it's still nowhere near as trivial as you are trying to make it out to be.

raven56706
08-01-06, 12:34 PM
Regardless, it's still nowhere near as trivial as you are trying to make it out to be.

the guy said he is sorry... should we kill him now... we should just let it go and let him deal with it... why do we have to make it our problem....

chanster
08-01-06, 12:37 PM
Well I think its a pretty good statement by Gibson, instead of the wishy-washy first statement that did not address the contents of his remark.

He still probably hates Jews though.

movielib
08-01-06, 12:43 PM
the guy said he is sorry... should we kill him now... we should just let it go and let him deal with it... why do we have to make it our problem....
Your extreme rhetoric (i.e. "should we kill him now") in no way reflects the rest of what I posted. Fine, you think it's trivial. Many of us think bigotry by such a prominent person is a little more than that, particularly given the context of this entire matter.

You're entitled to your opinion and we to ours.

raven56706
08-01-06, 12:43 PM
so he hates them... he didnt keep it to himself when he was drunk.... big deal.... he made a mistake and he was man enough to come out and say it infront of everyone... thank god he is a human... ;)

hapgilmore
08-01-06, 12:45 PM
this other thread came from the movies forum and i agree, terrible merge here

HEY MODS, UNMERGE THESE THREADS, WE DON'T KNOW WHATS GOING ON HERE!

raven56706
08-01-06, 12:46 PM
Your extreme rhetoric (i.e. "should we kill him now") in no way reflects the rest of what I posted. Fine, you think it's trivial. Many of us think bigotry by such a prominent person is a little more than that, particularly given the context of this entire matter.

You're entitled to your opinion and we to ours.

yes you are entitled to your opinion and mine is that he is no different then any other person on this planet and we shouldnt be treating mel gibson as a president of everyday matters.

i am glad that this prominent person pays for your bills. ;) j/k

movielib
08-01-06, 12:56 PM
yes you are entitled to your opinion and mine is that he is no different then any other person on this planet and we shouldnt be treating mel gibson as a president of everyday matters.

i am glad that this prominent person pays for your bills. ;) j/k
For someone who thinks it's so trivial you sure are posting a lot about it.

I guess it's not trivial that some of us think it's not trivial. ;)

chanster
08-01-06, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately in our society, the opinion of Mel Gibson means a lot more than the normal person's. So when he goes off and spouts hateful rhetoric, it has an effect on people and gives refuge and support to other hateful idiots.

raven56706
08-01-06, 01:09 PM
For someone who thinks it's so trivial you sure are posting a lot about it.

I guess it's not trivial that some of us think it's not trivial. ;)

i am posting because at a time like this in the world where there is a war happening and several other issues hurting us all... we have to worry about a drunk guy who makes lots of money and says this.. big deal...

chanster
08-01-06, 01:13 PM
so why not use your sig to say something important or advocate world peace. Hmm....Or go out and try to do something that could help "world peace"' Indeed!

raven56706
08-01-06, 01:16 PM
too busy worrying about what tom hanks thinks ;)

The Bus
08-01-06, 01:18 PM
Sugar tits.

Peep
08-01-06, 01:23 PM
Well I think its a pretty good statement by Gibson, instead of the wishy-washy first statement that did not address the contents of his remark.

He still probably hates Jews though.

I totally agree. His followup statement was significantly better. For those of you asking "what would you have him say?" - this was right on the mark. We'll never know for sure what his personal beliefs are, but this statement matches what I wish they were.

Minor Threat
08-01-06, 01:31 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!! 23 flavors in Dr. Pepper!!!?!?!?!!?!

LurkerDan
08-01-06, 01:50 PM
Unfortunately in our society, the opinion of Mel Gibson means a lot more than the normal person's. So when he goes off and spouts hateful rhetoric, it has an effect on people and gives refuge and support to other hateful idiots.
I just wanted to say that I don't think it's unfortunate. Artists -- be they actors, writers, musicians, painters -- are supposed to comment on society. That is, in essence, part of their job, at least if they are any good at it. SO I don't think it's unfortunate that we pay attention to their opinions more, because if they are good artists -- and Gibson is one -- we should accord their opinion some weight. They've "earned" that right by producing meaningful art.

That having been said, this second apology is much better. It still doesn't take the hate away, but what is good about it is that it doesn't try to. It acknowledges the hateful content, and asks for help. And hopefully, if Gibson is true to his faith and beliefs, it is sincere. There should be no room for hate in the heart of one who truly follows Jesus.

Minor Threat
08-01-06, 01:52 PM
Well said LurkerBob.....

:up:

dave-o
08-01-06, 01:59 PM
I agree that this second statement is much better, I hope he is sincere and that these are actually his words. I also hope that he does receive the help that he needs in order to change his views.

The tricky part is that we will never know if his beliefs have changed. At least for myself, he will never be looked at the same way again and there will always be some level of suspicion surounding him. Maybe his future actions will help to convince people he has truly changed. Time will only tell. Either way, I still have no desire to contribute to him in any way by seeing his movies.

beerbelly
08-01-06, 02:08 PM

So far, this is the most offensive thing I have seen posted in this thread. Not stereotyping much here are we, Dolphinboy?

For the record, I really liked Mel Gibson and most of his films. But, this incident together with the allegations of his anti-semetism will put a bad taste in my mouth for Mel. I won't enjoy his work as much, because whenever I look at him I will see him for what he really is, a bigot.

Being drunk is no excuse for anything. If he was drunk and ran your family off the road, then would it still be OK, because he was drunk? I guess so because "we all make mistakes".

raven56706
08-01-06, 02:11 PM
I guess no one says stupid things when they are drunk ;)

Brent L
08-01-06, 02:16 PM
If the ADL can accept his apology, then I don't see why anyone who posts here can't do the same.

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=5225115

NEW YORK The Anti-Defamation League has accepted Mel Gibson's second apology, saying it "sounds sincere."
Gibson is now admitting he made anti-Semitic remarks during a drunken driving arrest, something he didn't admit before. He says they were "vitriolic and harmful words."A-D-L national director Abraham Foxman says this is the apology the group had hoped for the first time.Gibson is asking Jewish leaders to help him find the "appropriate path for healing." Foxman says once Gibson finishes "his rehabilitation for alcohol abuse," the A-D-L will "help him with his second rehabilitation to combat this disease of prejudice." Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Groucho
08-01-06, 02:16 PM
I've been drunk several times and very rarely do I make racial slurs or go to the cemetary to dig up the corpses of dead family members.

Minor Threat
08-01-06, 02:18 PM
You're missing out Groucho.....

raven56706
08-01-06, 02:23 PM
I've been drunk several times and very rarely do I make racial slurs or go to the cemetary to dig up the corpses of dead family members.

good... meet the rest of the celebrities that we buy records from and etc...hear the insane shit they say and never apologize..

i mean lets get something straight what he said was wrong and he apologized... the only thing i am arguing is how the media is portraying him to be.... geez... he is part of 10 people in this world that admits he did something wrong, apologized for it, and even offers the same people he made the remarks towards to help him heal....

dave-o
08-01-06, 02:27 PM
good... meet the rest of the celebrities that we buy records from and etc...hear the insane shit they say and never apologize..

i mean lets get something straight what he said was wrong and he apologized... the only thing i am arguing is how the media is portraying him to be.... geez... he is part of 10 people in this world that admits he did something wrong, apologized for it, and even offers the same people he made the remarks towards to help him heal....

Hmmm...I am begining to suspect that you do not understand the difference between saying something "stupid" and saying something antisemitic....

Minor Threat
08-01-06, 02:34 PM
http://www.tinylittlesparks.com/journal/images/kanye-nbc-concert.jpg

marty888
08-01-06, 02:37 PM
oh man... why do we care what Mel thinks...

Perhaps because he has made one movie already that touches on how people view each other's religeous beliefs, and has proposed another one about how people feel about Jewish people.

General Zod
08-01-06, 02:41 PM
Some will accept his apology, and others won't. He will likely be dixie-chick'd when his next movie comes out, but that's whatcha get when you open your drunkin' yap and say stupid things.

raven56706
08-01-06, 02:48 PM
there goes any chance for Lethal Weapon 5 ... maybe its a good thing ;)

RunBandoRun
08-01-06, 03:05 PM
I happen to think what he said was disgusting, but coming from the guy whose father denies that the Holocaust happened, I can't claim to be shocked about it. -ohbfrank-

Regarding his apology -- it can't undo what happened in the first place, but at least it wasn't one of those 'if-anyone-was-offended-I'm-sorry' apologies that seems to place the blame on others for oversensitivity, rather than on the person apologizing.

Peep
08-01-06, 03:08 PM
If the ADL can accept his apology, then I don't see why anyone who posts here can't do the same.

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=5225115

Maybe because the ADL doesn't speak for everybody here. That said, I've moved on.

Cancer Man
08-01-06, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by movielib:
I'm not sure what your point is.

I also believe it is a bizarre and ironic coincidence that the deputy is Jewish. But clearly the author uses it as a phony "basis" for much of his bigoted article. Also, I was responding with something pertinent to the post previous to mine.

Well I have no point to make but to agree with you and like most other anti-Semites the author of that article assumes that the world wide Jewish community always collude with each other in some elaborate conspiracy to gain more wealth and power. That Jewish deputy was just some honest officer taken some drunken slob to the station, only that this drunken slob was some A-list actor spewing out garbage about the Jews. It was not the Jewish community's fault that Mel Gibson was a racist dipshit that broke the law and was a serious threat to the community with his drunken behaviour.

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X:

So you honestly believe that we humans were made by an invisible bearded man in the sky, that this invisible bearded man sprinkled fairy dust into the ground and out we popped? :confused:

digitalfreaknyc
08-01-06, 03:30 PM
Some will accept his apology, and others won't. He will likely be dixie-chick'd when his next movie comes out, but that's whatcha get when you open your drunkin' yap and say stupid things.

The difference is...what HE said was stupid. ;)

Too bad he didn't take out his anger on gay people as well. His homophobia is well known and I'd have loved to see the look on his face when he apologized for that.