Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

5MinutestoLive.com

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

5MinutestoLive.com

Old 07-27-06, 12:10 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
5MinutestoLive.com Order Problems

Anyone ever order from the company 5 Minutes to Live (5minutestolive.com)?

They feature some very cool looking DVDs called "Lost & Found Video Night" which feature short, public domain clips edited together into a 1hr 25min package.

I've had the worst time trying to get someone to call me back or email me.

Last edited by rich-y; 09-01-06 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-27-06, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had never heard fo them until now. Never ceases to amaze what can be found on the internet!

I do notice on main page they mention they have relocated so maybe that is why your having trouble getting hold of anyone there?
Old 07-27-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've ordered from them, a bit expensive, but good stuff, although a lot of the footage can be dupey, but the nature of it means that comes with the territory.
Old 07-28-06, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by unbeeleebable
I do notice on main page they mention they have relocated so maybe that is why your having trouble getting hold of anyone there?
I noticed that too, but I've called that number time and time again and get "We're sorry, your call can not be completed at this time".

Anyone else ever placed an order with this company? If so, how long did it take for you to receive your DVDs?
Old 07-28-06, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I've ordered from them, a bit expensive, but good stuff, although a lot of the footage can be dupey, but the nature of it means that comes with the territory.
A lot of their DVDs are $14.99 now. How long ago did you order from them? How long did it take to get your DVDs?

I'd hate to do a charge-back on my credit card if the items are actually on the way to my address, but I may be forced to since no one there communicates (even by email).
Old 07-28-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered probably a year ago, it took about a month to get my DVDs
Old 07-28-06, 01:22 PM

You would think at least they could communicate with you seeing as you have made every effort from your end. As interesting as some of their stuff sounds I think I will stay away from them based on your experience.
Old 07-28-06, 05:22 PM

Well, I finally got a response about the order I placed on June 14 stating that my order is being shipped today and that my UPS tracking number would be forthcoming.

BUT, I had to send the following email:

Sir or Madam:

This is my final email since no one from your company has contacted me concerning this matter. Your phone lines don't work (even the new numbers) and you don't answer emails.

My order details are below. All I want to know is the UPS Tracking Number for my shipment.

I have received papers from the credit card company to dispute the charge you placed on my account. I will be filling them out this weekend and returning them on Monday if I do not hear from you by then.

Perhaps the delay in shipment and delay in your responses to my emails is due to your recent move. If so, just TELL ME. Don't leave me in the dark.

Sincerely,

And here's the response I finally got today:

Hello ****,

I am very sorry for the late response. Your order is going out today
via UPS. I will email you the tracking number as soon as the batch is picked up.

Thanks,
S** M*******

You know, I don't mind having to wait a 3-4 weeks to receive my items. I simply ask that the retailer tell me that AND respond to my emails (or phone calls).

In this case, I ordered two discs to decide if I wanted to order the others in the series (about 8 more dvds). Based on this experience I probably won't.

I'll let you know if the DVDs ever arrive.
Old 07-28-06, 08:21 PM

I've ordered from them several times, and have *usually* received the DVDs in a decent time. Their descriptions of the video quality is usually pretty accurate, also. Most importantly, they have a lot of stuff that you just can't find elsewhere.
Old 07-29-06, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by legend42
I've ordered from them several times, and have *usually* received the DVDs in a decent time. Their descriptions of the video quality is usually pretty accurate, also. Most importantly, they have a lot of stuff that you just can't find elsewhere.
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps my purchase is just a rare case of a messed up order.

Last edited by rich-y; 07-30-06 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-29-06, 09:10 AM

Hope all arrives quickly Rich-y and look forward to having you confirm this whe happens. I might at that time place an order.
Old 07-29-06, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by rich-y
Thanks for the reply. Pehaps my purchase is just a rare case of a messed up order.

Well I don't want to sound like I'm giving them too much praise, as I've had similar problems as yours with long shipping times and elusive customer service (though nothing as extreme as your case, for which you're definitely justified in your frustration).

If they were a regular mainstream retailer, I'd probably give them terrible marks. But usually I'm so happy and grateful to finally get decent quality versions at a non-absurd price of things that I had often been looking years (sometimes decades) for, I'm willing to forgive them their trespasses in those other areas.

I actually haven't been to that site in awhile (I used to be able to spend $100 there like it was nothing, so I had to wean away from it), but if they just lowered their prices, I might have to check it out again. Good luck with your order, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-08-06, 04:54 PM

So....

After getting an email promising that my package was going to be sent out immediately and that a tracking number would be emailed, I have received neither. I wrote back asking for the tracking number and was ignored. So, I sent the following letter:

Sam M*******:

I don't understand why I must continue to threaten to
contact my credit card company to get a response from
your firm concerning my order. In addition, your
phone line is still not working.

You said you shipped my order last week yet it still
hasn't arrived and you have ignored my request for a
tracking number.

Please send me a tracking number within 48 Hours.

Online Order *******

If I do not receive it I will be contacting the credit
card company again to contest the charge by your
company.

Sincerely,

If anyone else is thinking of ordering from this company I'd avoid it at all possible costs. Also, I checked with the GA Better Business Bureau and they have a rating of "unsatisfactory". Of course, I should have checked with them before ordering from 5secondstolive.com!
Old 08-09-06, 03:54 PM

Not looking so good then after all.... :-(
Old 08-10-06, 12:36 PM

5minutestolive

I ordered a couple of movies from them over 3 months ago, never received a thing, other than an automated invoice. They took my money though, but have never responded to emails once. Sounds like they fulfil their orders if and when they feel like it.
Old 08-10-06, 12:59 PM
Banned

Looks like a low budget web site, I would NEVER give my cc info to a business like this...
Old 08-10-06, 07:34 PM

I remember Sam from Blast Off Video. I miss that store.
Old 08-12-06, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by theWitcher
I remember Sam from Blast Off Video. I miss that store.
What happened to Blast Off?
Old 08-15-06, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by rich-y
What happened to Blast Off?
They probably closed due to ever increasing rent in L5P ATL. I don't know that they were even around when DVD was first introduced.

Ahhh, the mid-90s! Those were different times.
Old 08-15-06, 10:14 PM

Well, I've filled out a charge-back form with my Visa provider for non-received items and plan to send it in tomorrow.

I emailed 5MinutesToLive a couple of days ago and told them that I posted information about this order here, but it seems they don't care. I thought they might respond back if they knew potential customers were reading about this transaction, but I received no response whatsoever.

Anyone know if there is a Visa or Mastercard hotline where one can report a fraudulant retailer? I'm sure my bank will handle it on their end, but I'd like to personally let Visa know what's going on. Perhaps they will stop allowing 5MinuteToLive to use their credit cards altogether (based on my experience as well as others).
Old 08-17-06, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
5MinutesToLive is just the one guy - I'm not a big fan of him or his company.
Old 09-01-06, 11:04 PM

So, here's the end of the story....

After hearing nothing from 5MinutesToLive.com, for 30 days I called my bank and had them mail me an affidavit that I could fill out contesting the charge to my credit card. So, I completed it and simply had to take it to the bank to have it notarized (which I planned to do on Tuesday).

But today, at my front door I heard... Knock, Knock, Knock -- and there stood the UPS man with a package from 5MinutesToLive.com!

WTF is wrong with this company? Don't get me wrong, but if I hadn't been as slow as molasses the chargeback would have occured while the DVDs were in route.

What's sad is that the DVDs are pretty good and I'd love to order more, but I would never based on the facts that:

A) The company (or Sam M****, who may be the only person who works there) promised on July 28 (10 days after ordering) that they were going to mail my DVDs the very next day yet didn't turn them over to UPS until nearly a month later.

B) They have a complete disregard for customers and only responded to one of my emails, and lied in that one!

C) They state "Please allow up to 3-7 business days for UPS Domestic delivery", but in actuality it is more like 45 days (which would be OK as long as THEY TELL YOU THAT BEFORE ORDERING).

Last edited by rich-y; 09-01-06 at 11:07 PM.