Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

athlete - Tourist

Old 07-27-06, 01:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
athlete - Tourist

I've had this for ages, and I love it. love it..

did a search and saw no thread for them, they are excellent live also..
Old 07-27-06, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i do not have Tourist but i do have Vehicles and Animals. i like V&A for the most part but there are a few songs that i just can't get in to. i love 'el salvador' and 'beautiful.' i do have the song 'wires' off Tourist and (from what I remember listening to it last) it just feels a little flat. there's no real climax or build to the song. i've never seen them live -- do they tour much in the US?
well, after i posted this, i listened to Wires again and i was definately wrong, i think, with my thoughts on it. i liked it much better than i had remembered. just for the record. or whatever.

Last edited by yohansen5b; 07-28-06 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I enjoy this album quite a bit too, but I always chalked it up to the fact that I'm a sucker for melodramatic British rock bands (i.e. Coldplay, Embrace, Keane, Snow Patrol, etc.).

Last edited by maxfisher; 07-27-06 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was OK. I'm not huge on the melodramatic British rock bands although I'm about as big a Coldplay fan as any you'd find. I'd put Athlete somewhere below Travis but above, say, Thirteen Senses (who have two great songs but lack depth).
Old 07-27-06, 08:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
I enjoy this album quite a bit too, but I always chalked it up to the fact that I'm a sucker for melodramatic British rock bands (i.e. Coldplay, Embrace, Keane, Snow Patrol, etc.).
I'm a big Embrace fan - been listening to the new album alot, specifically the song: 'Target'
Old 07-27-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just listened to this album again this AM, and yes I agree with the OP. Not a clunker to be found.
Old 07-28-06, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I had never heard of this band before, and while on training in Orlando, I saw them open for Switchfoot. I think it was Switchfoot, but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, they do a pretty good job live. It's not really my music, neither is Switchfoot, but I was bored. They can rock a therimin though. Bonus points for that alone.
Old 06-23-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: athlete - Tourist

Somehow I missed this thread for years. I was on vacation in the UK back in 05 and heard them on the radio for the first time, but didn't catch the band name. I ran all over London to a bunch of different stores trying the describe it. They probably thought I was some dumb tourist.

I ended up seeing them last year when they came through too. I don't attend many concerns, but this was a bargain for a cheap ticket (think it was under $20)! I picked up the last copy of the 2-disc Black Swan album as well. Probably their best album for me since Tourist actually.
Old 06-24-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: athlete - Tourist

Love this band. I've been waiting to hear of them touring here in the States. Glad that there are others that enjoy them enough to resurrect this thread.