Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Flogging Molly: Whiskey on a Sunday

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-26-06, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone pick this up? My copy came in the mail yesterday - watched the DVD (1hr 43min) last night. Overall, I thought it was a very interesting and touching look into the band. Especially the segments on Dave King and the drummer, George Schwindt.

Only 1 new track on the cd "Laura" which is a decent tune. Just want to get more new tracks out of the band.

Also, in the extra features - "Return to Molly Malone's" includes an appearance from Dickey Barrett.
Old 07-26-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't even know this was coming out, but I was in Target yesterday and saw it on the shelf. I figured $10 for a documentary and a CD of live/acoustic versions of their songs was well worth it. Haven't had time to check it out yet, but I might pop the CD in later today. I've never seen them live, so I'm looking forward to hearing the live songs and watching the documentary.
Old 07-26-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What?!?!? $10 at Target?!?! Spent $15 for mine at "Best" Buy. Shit...

Haven't seen it yet, but have been following the band since the beginning!
Old 07-26-06, 12:10 PM

Damn, $10? I pre-ordered from their website and paid $20. Oops.
Old 07-26-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tygan
Damn, $10? I pre-ordered from their website and paid $20. Oops.
Yeah, but at least you get a "free" t-shirt out of it.
Old 07-26-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked mine up at Circuit City for 13.99.

Watched the DVD and listened to the disc a few times and it hardcore makes me want them to release some full live albums. I loved the soundtrack and though the new song was good, the acoustic songs were pretty good, and the live cuts were dynamite.
Old 07-26-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just ran to Target and picked this up for $10, great find, I appreciate the post.
Old 07-26-06, 03:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Great, great rock doc. One of the best I've seen. Very touching and revealing while still kicking ass. The concert footage they primarily use was from the Wiltern LG show, probably the best concert i've ever been too. They did a great job capturing the energy. I'm actually in the doc myself.
Old 07-27-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the Target sale price. I don't believe it was advertised in this week's newspaper insert, so I would've never have known to go there for the CD.

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Watched the DVD and listened to the disc a few times and it hardcore makes me want them to release some full live albums.
Well, they have put out one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&s=music

The set list is great, but it is really rough-sounding. The Amazon description says it's been remastered, though, so it probably sounds somewhat better than the version I got directly from FM's website a few years ago.
Old 07-27-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Thanks for the heads-up on the Target sale price. I don't believe it was advertised in this week's newspaper insert, so I would've never have known to go there for the CD.

Well, they have put out one...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...e=UTF8&s=music

The set list is great, but it is really rough-sounding. The Amazon description says it's been remastered, though, so it probably sounds somewhat better than the version I got directly from FM's website a few years ago.
Yeah i have that one - i just want more.

Actually a funny story about that album, i was talking to one of my friends out west about how much i liked Flogging Molly and she tells me she is friends with the wife of one of the band members. A couple months later she sends me that album autographed by the whole band and a tshirt. Pretty cool really.
Old 07-27-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i picked mine up at target today for 9.98, excellent bargain, thanks poster.
Old 07-27-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up my copy from Target as well; loved the CD, haven't watched the DVD yet.
Old 07-29-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the heads up and I have to go and grab this. One of my favorite bands.
Old 07-29-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Woah!! I didnt even know this was comming out. I have seen them live 3x and loved them. Looks like im gonna have to go run out in a few min to go pick it up now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-31-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just watched the DVD last night - with my mom and grandma. I thought it was great and they enjoyed it, too.

Bridget Regan's a cutie. My mom was wondering if she and Dave King are romantically involved, since it kind of seemed that way from the doc. Anyone know?

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Yeah i have that one - i just want more.

Actually a funny story about that album, i was talking to one of my friends out west about how much i liked Flogging Molly and she tells me she is friends with the wife of one of the band members. A couple months later she sends me that album autographed by the whole band and a tshirt. Pretty cool really.
That's awesome. And I agree - after watching this last night, I'd love for them to put out a proper live DVD (hopefully, without the jumpy editing like the doc had).

I've seen them play a few times and I think that they are one of the best live acts out there.
Old 07-31-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Bridget Regan's a cutie. My mom was wondering if she and Dave King are romantically involved, since it kind of seemed that way from the doc. Anyone know?
I don't know, but I don't know of too many girls in bands that have not slept with a bandmate or two!