Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Need help! Which versions of Halloweens to get

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-26-06, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've held off on buying all the halloweens on dvd because i was waiting for a boxset...(bought all the friday the 13th's then a box set came out) But after reading all the threads it looks like it won't happen. Can anyone tell me which versions are the best to get? Tins, special editions ect...
Old 07-26-06, 10:04 AM
Suspended

I don't think you will ever see a box set as some of the movies are owned by different companies. The anchor bay releases are all top notch. As for Halloween 2 and 3 you have to watch out, Good Times released both of those at one time and they are a cheapo company.
Old 07-26-06, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halloween: There are two editions that most Halloween fans would want to own. The 1999 Limited Edition 2-Disc Set and the 2003 Divimax 25th Anniversary Special Edition 2-Disc Set. The 2003 set is still readily available. The 1999 set is long out of print, but I believe you can still buy those discs individually.

Halloween II: The 2001 Universal disc.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: The 2003 Universal disc.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers: The 2006 Divimax disc.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers: The 2006 Divimax disc.

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers: The 2000 Dimension disc. (The only R1 DVD ever released.)

Halloween 7: Twenty Years Later: The 1999 Dimension disc. (The only R1 DVD ever released.)

Halloween 8: Resurrection: The 2002 Dimension disc. (The only R1 DVD ever released.)

All have 16x9 enhanced (anamorphic) transfers except for parts 6 and 7. I wish Dimension Films would get off their ass and at least rerelease these on DVD with 16x9 enhanced transfers. Parts 1,4,5, and 8 have some really nice extras.

Last edited by L Chabert Lover; 07-26-06 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-26-06, 10:50 AM

Thanks alot for the break down of all of them. (you even broke part 3)
now i have to start my hunt for the 1st three halloweens.
Old 07-26-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have an all-region player, go for the R2 disc of H20, as it has a very nice anamorphic transfer and is very cheap.

There are also two UK boxsets out there, since distribution rights are different than the US:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...s=dvd&v=glance

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...s=dvd&v=glance

The latter box doesn't have part 6 or 8, btw.

Last edited by dullboy; 07-26-06 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-26-06, 12:30 PM
Banned

You could have just did a search to find all this information instead of starting a whole new thread for us to weed through.

Anyway, you might as well wait until October to buy these Halloween movies. That would provide you with the right mood and atmosphere while watching them. Why would you want to get them now?
Old 07-26-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still hoping Rob Zombie's film will inspire Dimension to take action.

Originally Posted by dullboy
If you have an all-region player, go for the R2 disc of H20, as it has a very nice anamorphic transfer and is very cheap.
I don't understand: Why do some regions get the anamorphic treatment and others don't? Are they handled by different studios? Is the R2 newer than the R1?

--THX
Old 07-26-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, different companies own different Halloween films so you won't be seeing a boxed set for some time. It's unfortunate, yes. But at least we can hope for better releases of parts 6 and 7 that are decent for widescreen TV's.
Old 07-27-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one in the UK says it was released October 22, 2001. The one in the US says October 19, 1999. So that might account for the reason the UK has the 16:9 advantage. It was released by Hollywood Pictures Home Video, which I believe was a subsidiary of Disney, which is the same as Dimension.
Old 07-27-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dullboy
That's the one I have. I also have the R2 disc for Halloween 6, which is also 16x9 across the pond.
Old 07-27-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
So far I've only got the first Halloween, it looks like I better get on the ball to complete my collection.

With the new releases of 4 and 5, plus the 2 disc doc, the set is staring to look pretty good.

Hopfully parts 6 and 7 will have been re-released by the time I get to picking them up.
Old 07-27-06, 09:44 PM

looks like I'll be getting the halloween 25th an. and pt4 and pt5 that were re-released this week. And I'm getting a region free dvd tomorrow so i'll be checking ebay for some other region versions for part 2-3 6and up
Old 08-02-06, 03:26 PM
Banned

I may be new to these forums, but you could have simply searched for an answer to your question instead of starting up a whole new thread.

Remember, always use the search feature first before starting a thread. Searching is the key.
Old 08-02-06, 03:31 PM

i did search. but you're more then welcome to show me the link that has the answer to my question
Old 08-02-06, 03:35 PM
Banned

I didn't bother searching, but it's safe to say a question like this would obviously have been asked and answered before.

I'd post links to search results but I don't have time to do that.
Old 08-02-06, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by billthesaidso
I didn't bother searching, but it's safe to say a question like this would obviously have been asked and answered before.

clearly you do if you're responding my thread AND you'll probably respond to this.
Old 08-02-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I just received the Halloween documentary yesterday from DDD...can't wait to check it out!
Old 08-02-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be new to these forums, but you could have simply searched for an answer to your question instead of starting up a whole new thread.

Remember, always use the search feature first before starting a thread. Searching is the key.
Which is worse? Starting this helpful (and timely) thread or bumping it up days after the last post to say "do a search"? Especially when you are completely unaware if a previous thread even exists?

As you said, you're new here. You've posted exactly 2 things before this silly post above. And one of those was to ask where to get a DDD 20% code... something that is probably the textbook definition of 'do a search'. Maybe you ought to hang around and contribute a bit before you try to play moderator.
Old 08-02-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With all due respect, without knowing if any such thread exists relating to marcellusk's original question, and putting no effort in a search to find out, why did you take the time to admonish marcellusk? Yes, Search is always a good idea, but why not go the extra mile and run one? No offense, just saying.

For the record, there are a few threads about the Halloween franchise. But this one is a perfectly worthy addition to the fold.

--THX
Old 08-03-06, 05:18 AM
Banned

I agree that there is nothing wrong with this thread at all, in fact I enjoy keeping up with it! I just upgraded my Halloween collection with Part 2 and 3 (The Goodtimes versions were really bad so I upgraded to the Universal versions. I did this upgrade because of reading this thread! Way to go marcellusk!
Old 08-03-06, 05:31 AM

yeah, this is a good thread.
I was going to grab a new H2 and get rid of my goodtimes version when i got the new doc and 4 & 5 yesterday, but i forgot.

I had my hands full anyway.
Old 08-03-06, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LeeVing
yeah, this is a good thread.
I was going to grab a new H2 and get rid of my goodtimes version when i got the new doc and 4 & 5 yesterday, but i forgot.

I had my hands full anyway.
Comparing the H2 Goodtimes version to the Universal version is like night and day, the Goodtimes one is terrible and the Universal one is great! What a upgrade this was for me! Plus H2 at Best Buy was only 6.99 so to me that was a bargain. H3 is a bit tougher to find, I had to buy it on Ebay. Just make sure if you purchase online that the upc code matches the Universal versions..
Old 08-03-06, 10:38 AM
Banned

So much arguing over whether this thread was worth it or not. I did not intend to spark so much controversy. Nevertheless, the consensus appears to be that this would have been better served in an existing "Halloween edition" thread.

We need to make sure the forums are easy to browse and accessible to all and avoid redundancy.
Old 08-03-06, 10:51 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nevertheless, the consensus appears to be that this would have been better served in an existing "Halloween edition" thread.
What "consensus" are you referring to? Everyone who responded said it was worth its own thread.
Old 08-03-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It must be Opposite Day.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.