Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Official PS3 Thread Part II.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Mr. Cinema
10-10-06, 06:38 AM
As much as I want one, I'm afraid of what bugs the first batch of PS3s might have. I had to get three 360s before I got a good one so I don't to go through that again.

I'm getting a Wii for sure, a PS3 in January or spring 2007. Maybe by then the hype will be died down and I can walk into a store and buy one.
Same here. I "hope" by January or February, the chances to get a PS3 are alot higher.

bahgee
10-10-06, 08:15 AM
Thanks Sony, you are making me appreciate my xbox 360 more and more. Can't wait for the HDDVD drive!

ChrisHicks
10-10-06, 08:18 AM
woohoo!!! 10 stores - 10 preorders. ebay here I come.

yeah right. I just rolled my butt out of bed. I'll try my luck at a Target or Walmart on the 17th and if I don't get one I'll take it as fate telling me I needed to wait.

Save Ferris
10-10-06, 08:26 AM
What exclusive games is PS3 launching with?

PixyJunket
10-10-06, 08:54 AM
What exclusive games is PS3 launching with?Here's a launch list from Wikipedia. I don't know which are exclusive though.

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Call of Duty 3
Fatal Inertia
F.E.A.R.
Fight Night: Round 3
flOw
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Genji: Days of the Blade
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
MotorStorm
NBA Live 07
Need for Speed: Carbon
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Sonic the Hedgehog
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

With the exception of flOw, it looks like a Greatest Hits list of generic gaming.

Save Ferris
10-10-06, 09:04 AM
Here's a launch list from Wikipedia. I don't know which are exclusive though.

Call of Duty 3
Fatal Inertia
F.E.A.R.
flOw
Madden NFL 07
MotorStorm
NBA Live 07
Ridge Racer 7
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tony Hawk's Project 8

With the exception of flOw, it looks like a Greatest Hits list of generic gaming.

gah im terrible at recognizing exclusives. Thanks though.

kgrogers1979
10-10-06, 09:07 AM
it looks like a Greatest Hits list of generic gaming.

:rolleyes:

kgrogers1979
10-10-06, 09:09 AM
gah im terrible at recognizing exclusives. Thanks though.

Resistance: Fall of Man is PS3 exclusive for sure. I think Genji: Days of the Blade is also PS3 exclusive.

These games are on Xbox360:

Call of Duty 3
F.E.A.R.
Sonic the Hedgehog

I am not sure about the others.

Michael Corvin
10-10-06, 09:10 AM
Just by a quick glance, exclusives in bold:

Call of Duty 3
Fatal Inertia
F.E.A.R.
flOw
Madden NFL 07
MotorStorm
NBA Live 07
Ridge Racer 7
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tony Hawk's Project 8

silentbob007
10-10-06, 09:16 AM
I happened to be by EBGames this morning ... about 10 people lined up outside an hour before the store opened. As I walked by later, the manager was out smoking and shooting the shit with those in line ....

PixyJunket
10-10-06, 09:37 AM
:rolleyes:*looks at the list again*

Shooter, shooter, car, shooter, car, shooter, shooter, car.. -rolleyes- indeed.

DamingR
10-10-06, 09:44 AM
I got my three pre-orders. Hoping to keep one and sell the others to pay for mine.

My mom happened to be eating breakfast next door and came out just in time to grab the final spot in line.

BTW, it is one per household chain-wide. If you preordered with the same address at two stores at least one would be cancelled.

dgc
10-10-06, 09:48 AM
Well, I wasn't going to get one but I had to be in work early so I was in the right place at the right time. I stopped off at my office, dropped off my briefcase, shot out a few emails and away I went. I'm literally only a block away from my local Gamestop. Ironically I ended up being 3rd in line for the PS3 preorder when I arrived at the NYC South Street Seaport Gamestop @ 7:30AM. 1st in line was there at 2:00AM!!! . The Gamestop is located on the 2nd floor of the south street seaport mall. The mall wasn't opening until 9:30AM. We were concerened with mall employees lining up early so we were able to scout the hallway infront the store from an exterior window. Sure enough, there was someone camping in front of the store already. We notified the security guard outside and he told the guy that he had to wait outside like everyone else. The Gamestop Manager arrived at 9:00AM. We asked that he hand out numbered tickets to prevent any potential chaos. He obliged with hand numbered business cards. They opened the doors to the mall at 9:30 and we all filed up to the gamestop in an orderly fashion. The store opened at 9:55AM.

I placed a preorder for the 60GB sku at 10:03AM. They also had us write down our name and phone number (not sure why as it should be in their system). I also preordered Resistance.

kgrogers1979
10-10-06, 09:49 AM
*looks at the list again*

Shooter, shooter, car, shooter, car, shooter, shooter, car.. -rolleyes- indeed.

Only about a third of those games actually fall into the shooter or racing genres. Just because *you* don't like the games on the list doesn't mean you should slam them and call them generic. Some of those games are highly rated. I never ever thought I would hear someone call Oblivion "generic". It may not be for everyone, but that game is FAR from generic. :lol:

PixyJunket
10-10-06, 09:56 AM
Only about a third of those games actually fall into the shooter or racing genres. Just because *you* don't like the games on the list doesn't mean you should slam them and call them generic. Some of those games are highly rated. I never ever thought I would hear someone call Oblivion "generic". It may not be for everyone, but that game is FAR from generic. :lol:Actually, I love racing games, but you'd be crazy to think it isn't a fairly generic genre..

kgrogers1979
10-10-06, 10:05 AM
Actually, I love racing games, but you'd be crazy to think it isn't a fairly generic genre..

Well, yeah, racing is pretty generic but that is just because the subject matter is so limited. How many ways can you possibly race a car? You just put your foot on the accelerator and go. :)

tenaciousdave
10-10-06, 10:25 AM
I got the 3rd reserve out of 7 total.

Michael Corvin
10-10-06, 11:56 AM
Just got back from a Gamestop about 25 miles from where I live. All the stores in Louisville sold out at 10. This one had no one in line, I got the last one #8(core) at noon.

the phone was ringing off the hook. He took probably 3 calls while I was at the counter. Same question every time. "Any PS3 pre-orders left?" Told every one of them he was selling the last one as they were on the line.

What I found very interesting, was in all three calls he inquired about their interest in the Wii, not pushing a pre-order, but more of a "have you heard about the Wii" type thing. Hoping for a future sale, I assume. Two of their callers had no idea about the Wii and he directed them to Gamestop's Wii web page. Still unlikely they will settle for a Wii over PS3, but definitely very interesting.

Josh H
10-10-06, 12:03 PM
I've heard on other forums of them trying to deflect people to the Wii. Guess they are getting a ton of them.

edstein
10-10-06, 12:27 PM
People know the PS3 will be an Ebay money maker. The Wii will not.

Catch 21
10-10-06, 12:29 PM
Number#1 reserve here

Daryl
10-10-06, 01:18 PM
Just got back from a Gamestop about 25 miles from where I live. All the stores in Louisville sold out at 10. This one had no one in line, I got the last one #8(core) at noon.

MC - which store was that? I hope you don't say E-Town, which is where I called at 10:10 and they said they had sold out of their 8 immediately. That was the only store I tried. I just wasn't up to chasing one down like I did the PS2 and 360. I have a lot of credit at EB so I can wait until next year when they are readily available. I still am #1 on the "2nd list" at FYE (whatever that means) but I'm not holding my breath over it.

Liver&Onions
10-10-06, 01:19 PM
I got the last system at Babbage's here. Premium system too.

Michael Corvin
10-10-06, 01:43 PM
MC - which store was that? I hope you don't say E-Town, which is where I called at 10:10 and they said they had sold out of their 8 immediately. That was the only store I tried. I just wasn't up to chasing one down like I did the PS2 and 360. I have a lot of credit at EB so I can wait until next year when they are readily available. I still am #1 on the "2nd list" at FYE (whatever that means) but I'm not holding my breath over it.

Shelbyville. He said it was odd there was no one in line. I called a few close to me in Louisville, and one of them flat out told me to call Shelbyville that they had a few left the last they heard. Sure enough. I bet more than a few of them went to people that were told to go there from other stores. I took my lunch break a few minutes early and headed out.

Speaking of the ebay thing, I bet more than half of the initial shipment ends up on ebay. Too many people learned from the 360.

Daryl
10-10-06, 01:55 PM
Shelbyville. He said it was odd there was no one in line. I called a few close to me in Louisville, and one of them flat out told me to call Shelbyville that they had a few left the last they heard. Sure enough. I bet more than a few of them went to people that were told to go there from other stores. I took my lunch break a few minutes early and headed out.
Thanks for the info. If I had known last night (for the first time in probably a year - I didn't turn on my computer at home all night to even check email or do a quick run around the web) I probably would have gone 30 miles to the closest EB to me (on Dixie Highway in Louisville near Value City and Target) this morning - since my store credit is at EB and still can't be used at Gamestop. Oh well, like I said, I gave the local Gamestop in E-Town a try and they had sold out immediately. [rationalization/sour grapes] I haven't played my 360 in two weeks, my DS in a month, or my PSP in about 4 months - so maybe I don't need a PS3 on launch day since I'm getting a Wii two days later. ;)

Michael Corvin
10-10-06, 01:58 PM
I wonder if this small sample size is indicative of the entire launch supply:

No one is buying PS3's to play them! (http://www.aeropause.com/archives/2006/10/no_one_is_buyin.php)

Save Ferris
10-10-06, 01:59 PM
I hope these ebayers dont make a killing. Mostly because im too jealous and lazy to be an ebayer :p

Setzer
10-10-06, 02:21 PM
Well, I got my pre-order in at Gamestop. Was there at about 8am and there was 4 guys in line ahead of me. Now, it's time to start shopping for a new house. :P

keyed
10-10-06, 02:34 PM
Got to Gamestop at Ingram at 8:45 and eventually got the #3 ticket. Put a deposit on the premium and Resistance: FoM. Afterwards, I went to the mall next door and walked to EB. Surprisingly, they weren't sold out and I got the 3rd last system order. Walking back through the mall, I stopped by FYE and checked out their preorders. The guy said that there were ~20 preorders, so I wouldn't be getting it in the 1st wave, but I ordered one anyways.

All-in-all, a good day.

Michael Corvin
10-10-06, 03:17 PM
I hope these ebayers dont make a killing. Mostly because im too jealous and lazy to be an ebayer :p

One already went for a Buy it now price of $1,250. About a half dozen have been listed but susequently pulled by ebay.

xmiyux
10-10-06, 03:27 PM
Why are they getting pulled?

ChrisHicks
10-10-06, 03:51 PM
is it wrong that I wish all the ebay hoarders would die the most painful death ever known to man?

just think, if there was some type of law that stated that anything that was purchased could not be sold until 90 days after the purchase date those who wanted this to KEEP would have no issues getting one for the RETAIL price and not the "pay out your ass" price of 3-4x as much.

now that that's out of my system I didn't do the in-store preorder thing. like I said earlier, I'll try a few stores on release day or maybe I'll even preorder one of those $1200.00 or whatever bundles if someone has one. my guess is that there will be some type of "get everything but the kitchen sink" bundle.

Michael Corvin
10-10-06, 04:10 PM
Why are they getting pulled?

There is a ebay rule(hardly enforced before today) about pre-selling an item more than 30 days before you can ship it. Consequence is being banned. That is likely what is happening.

All in all probably a dozen have popped up and disappered with the user being banned. There is one still alive though from a power seller, 1000+ feeback and at 100%. Not sure why that guy is alive and kickin.

The big kicker is this, they have a problem with people selling PS3's before the launch but the million bootleg DVD and CD auctions they host they are okay with. Right.

dgc
10-10-06, 04:21 PM
The "Buy it Now only" PS3 auction listings are being closed but should be allowed on October 17th.

7 day auction listings should be allowed as of today. Most sellers prefer to sell using Buy It Now only to prevent disgruntled buyers from submitting fake bids in order to sabotage the auction.

Here's ebay's policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/pre-sale.html

...eBay permits Pre-sale listings only on a limited basis. The seller must guarantee that the item will be available for shipping within 30 days from the date of purchase (i.e., the day the listing ends or the date the item is purchased from a store front listing). The seller must also clearly indicate within the listing the fact that the item is a pre-sale item with a delivery date that indicates the item will be shipped by the 30th day from the end date of the listing...

edstein
10-10-06, 04:25 PM
Don't hate the seller. It's the buyer you should be pissed at. The PS3 isn't worth more than retail. People willing to pay double and triple are just plain stupid.

ChrisHicks
10-10-06, 04:55 PM
I hate both the sellers who buy up as many consoles as they can which takes away from everyone else as well as the asshats who pay the inflated prices. I see right now there are a few PS3s for sale with the low price of $1400.00+ and one for the grand prize of shithead sellers for $10,000.00.

link to the shithead - http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-3-60gb-Same-Day-Delivery-not-2-PS3_W0QQitemZ270038393479QQihZ017QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dgc
10-10-06, 05:06 PM
I hate both the sellers who buy up as many consoles as they can which takes away from everyone else as well as the asshats who pay the inflated prices. I see right now there are a few PS3s for sale with the low price of $1400.00+ and one for the grand prize of shithead sellers for $10,000.00.

link to the shithead - http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-3-60gb-Same-Day-Delivery-not-2-PS3_W0QQitemZ270038393479QQihZ017QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is priceless:

If you buy this item I will fly out the morning it comes out to the nearest airport you like and deliver your new Playstation 3!!

kgrogers1979
10-10-06, 05:16 PM
Don't hate the seller. It's the buyer you should be pissed at. The PS3 isn't worth more than retail. People willing to pay double and triple are just plain stupid.

Exactly.

It is Darwinism at work. I don't feel sorry for the people that are too impatient and/or stupid to wait until Feb/March when PS3s will be readily available in stores.

If buyers didn't buy, then the ebay hoarding market would dry up. The hoarders would be stuck with a $600 machine they don't want and have to return it to the store they bought it from. Then the people that really want a PS3 could go to the store and buy it without paying the hoarder's exorbitant prices.

The hoarding only exists because the buyers let it. If the buyers are too stupid to realize that, then I say fuck 'em. Let them pay an arm and leg for their oh so precious video game machine. No mercy for the stupid says Darwin. :)

pizzamousechips
10-10-06, 06:27 PM
Got mine too. A friend and I were 6th and 7th in line.

I feel bad about the ebayers, but honestly, I'm doing it too. It's not like it didn't take some energy. It's a pretty big hassle. But the profit is just too good to pass up.

I just hope big name stars like Snoop Dogg don't get one for free from Sony. I want him specifically to pay more on ebay. I don't know why, I just do.

ILikeDVD
10-10-06, 07:00 PM
Well i missed out, been offline the past few days. So any official prices on the PS3 systems? And what kind of bundles? Did they have a basic one?

pizzamousechips
10-10-06, 07:09 PM
Well i missed out, been offline the past few days. So any official prices on the PS3 systems? And what kind of bundles? Did they have a basic one?
Same deal, $499 for the regular, $599 for the premium. In-store preorders, you told them which one you want and that's the one you'll get. No fixed bundles. $100 down.

ILikeDVD
10-10-06, 07:13 PM
Will BEst buy and circuit city beselling cores and bundles,or just bundles? All i want is the core system.

Josh H
10-10-06, 07:39 PM
It hasn't been announced, but the big box stores rarely do forced bundles (with the exception of toys R us).

Brent L
10-10-06, 07:45 PM
Douche of the year? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3_W0QQitemZ120040904599QQihZ002QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://www.usol.com/~cable/Pics/freeipodpics/misc/Miscpics/pix2/cheapps3.jpg

edstein
10-10-06, 08:13 PM
That phone number is going to getting spammed big time. And he deserves it.

Liver&Onions
10-10-06, 08:23 PM
lol. no shit

Supermallet
10-10-06, 08:50 PM
Well, this was certainly an interesting morning.

Got to work at 8:30 AM (normal for opening my store), and already had two people in line. I'm not at all a morning person, so I didn't even say hi. I always play a movie or TV show in the morning while I open so I don't have to hear the mall music, and today it was The X-Files, so I'm guessing the people who camped out got to hear two episodes of The X-Files for their trouble. :lol:

Anyway, around 9:15 one of the other managers in the area calls me and asks what my situation is like. I tell him I only have a few people outside, and he says he's going to send some people my way, since he opened at 9 and he's already out.

I get some chores done and open 10 minutes early. Out of the blue, a dozen people get into line. And immediately the phone starts ringing. I must have answered the phone five times during the first transaction. But I had enough for everyone but the last guy. He got all pissed at me, but there's nothing else I could do. As I was ringing up the second to last customer, another lady ran in, big grin on her face, ready to reserve, and I told her, "If you're here for the PS3, we're done taking orders." But she understood. I had a bunch of people I had never seen before there, so who knows how many of them are selling them on Ebay, but it's not my job to turn people away because I think they might be trying to make an easy buck.

I've spent the rest of the day telling people that we're out of reserves. One guy comes in, asks when we're doing reserves, and I told him we were done. His eyes bug out and he says, "DONE? What? I've been asking you guys every day!" He then started swearing like a sailor even though there was a group of children in front of him. What a jackass.

Brent L
10-10-06, 09:09 PM
http://dreamonjoshbrandner.ytmnd.com/

Liver&Onions
10-10-06, 09:12 PM
http://dreamonjoshbrandner.ytmnd.com/

lol

collven
10-11-06, 02:21 AM
I was tempted to try this morning, but I'm going to just camp out at Best Buy on release day. Between the no interest financing with the BB card, the Reward Zone points, and their excellent replacement plan, it's the best deal, assuming I am able to get one of course. I thought about reserving one at the EBGames close to me, just in case. But I figure if I miss out on release day, I'll just wait until BB gets more in. I know the supervisor in the media department so hopefully I can convince him to let me know when the next shipment comes in.

eau
10-11-06, 04:00 PM
Here's a launch list from Wikipedia. I don't know which are exclusive though.

Call of Duty 3
Fatal Inertia
F.E.A.R.
flOw
Madden NFL 07
MotorStorm
NBA Live 07
Ridge Racer 7
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tony Hawk's Project 8

Actually, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an expanded version for PS3. There is a big article on this in the November issue of Original Playstation Magazine.

xmiyux
10-11-06, 04:04 PM
Could someone post a scan or cite the important details of this? I would be interested to see what was changed/added.

Cedrock
10-11-06, 05:15 PM
Douche of the year? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3_W0QQitemZ120040904599QQihZ002QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://www.usol.com/~cable/Pics/freeipodpics/misc/Miscpics/pix2/cheapps3.jpg

Hahaha "Im new to ebay" . Member since 2004, not a registered user. The guy that bid is out 8,000 dollars

Fandango
10-11-06, 09:14 PM
I've read that they have included quests for a new faction, Knights of the Nine.

thematahara
10-11-06, 09:32 PM
I was at gamestop tonight and asked how many preorders they took and they said 16. I then asked how many they actually think they will get and the guy said "probably 5."

There are going to be alot of dissappointed people.

ChrisHicks
10-11-06, 09:46 PM
I was at gamestop tonight and asked how many preorders they took and they said 16. I then asked how many they actually think they will get and the guy said "probably 5."

now how funny will it be if all those ebayers are the ones who don't get them after they sell something they don't even have?

"umm, yeah, well, umm, sorry to tell you that your $3000.00 PS3 that was promised to you on release day won't ship until my preorder comes in around March. thats cool, right?"

one can only hope.

Supermallet
10-11-06, 10:10 PM

Why would GS/EB wait so long and take so much time to divy out specific allotments per store if each store will only get 5? Not every store took 16 pre-orders.

Josh H
10-11-06, 10:58 PM
Why would GS/EB wait so long and take so much time to divy out specific allotments per store if each store will only get 5? Not every store took 16 pre-orders.

Sony promised them 8 to 16 per store...doesn't mean they'll come through on it with all their production problems.

They probably will, and I'd say that employee that said that was just having negative expectations after the 360 debacle where MS told you they'd fill every preorder you took and then shipped like 5 units a store.

kgrogers1979
10-11-06, 11:39 PM
Could someone post a scan or cite the important details of this? I would be interested to see what was changed/added.

IGN has a new article on the PS3 version of Oblivion.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738319p1.html

According to Todd Howard, executive producer of Oblivion, the only new content will be the addition of "The Knights of the Nine" faction quest. Knights of the Nine is supposedly the faction to join for good characters, since the original game was missing that (it had the Dark Brotherhood for evil characters but nothing for good characters).

Also, when asked if The Knights of the Nine would be added to the Xbox360 and PC versions, Todd Howard says that it is their goal to have the same content available across all platforms. My guess is that it will be downloadable via Xbox Live Marketplace.

Supermallet
10-11-06, 11:59 PM
Sony promised them 8 to 16 per store...doesn't mean they'll come through on it with all their production problems.

They probably will, and I'd say that employee that said that was just having negative expectations after the 360 debacle where MS told you they'd fill every preorder you took and then shipped like 5 units a store.

I would have the same negative response IF we did open orders like we did with the 360, but we aren't. And it's not Sony promising X numbers of PS3 to any individual store, it's Sony promising X amount of total PS3s to Gamestop as a company, and our corporate office decides where to send the units based on sales.

Josh H
10-12-06, 12:11 AM
And it's not Sony promising X numbers of PS3 to any individual store, it's Sony promising X amount of total PS3s to Gamestop as a company, and our corporate office decides where to send the units based on sales.

Makes no difference. You took X preorders, if they end up falling short and give the company less than X systems, some people aren't getting them at launch.

Same end result.

Supermallet
10-12-06, 01:32 AM
I agree, but at least this way we can allocate them to certain high demand stores versus Sony controlling where they go.

Binger
10-12-06, 05:06 PM
Suprmallet, there seems to be quite a bit of confusion over the PS3 pre-order around the net. Can you clarify for us/me, I was the first pre-order in the store that I went to, but I was told that of the 8 pre-orders they took that it would be first come first serve on launch day. So if my store receives less than 8 on launch and the other 7 who pre-ordered beat me to the store, even though I was first I still might not get one on launch? Any help?

Supermallet
10-12-06, 05:14 PM
Our system doesn't keep track of reserves by date, only by name. So, if the store happens to get less than 8 systems, it would be first come, first serve. What I would do is about a week before the PS3 release, call the store, tell them you were first to reserve the system, and see if you can make sure they hold it for you. Also, ask them if they got their system shipments yet, and if so, how many they got. Stress you reserved a PS3 and they should be doing everything they can to take care of you.

Binger
10-12-06, 05:26 PM
Our system doesn't keep track of reserves by date, only by name. So, if the store happens to get less than 8 systems, it would be first come, first serve. What I would do is about a week before the PS3 release, call the store, tell them you were first to reserve the system, and see if you can make sure they hold it for you. Also, ask them if they got their system shipments yet, and if so, how many they got. Stress you reserved a PS3 and they should be doing everything they can to take care of you.

Thanks for the info. My receipt has a time and date stamp on it, so wouldn't they be able to see that I was the first based on the time that I pre-ordered?

Supermallet
10-12-06, 05:33 PM
Well, yes, but if they only get 7 systems and you're the 8th to show up, the timestamp won't matter.

However, they should be getting all 8 systems. The only thing that would make them get less would be Sony having production or distribution problems.

Josh H
10-12-06, 05:49 PM
Some stores do keep an ordered list, and they call the first X people on the list for the X launch systems they get.

Others it is just first come first serve among those with preorders in the event that they don't get X systems.

At least that's what I gather from reading posts by employees on the net.

Every store should keep the ordered list just incase IMO, especially since people camped/lined up for preorders.

Binger
10-12-06, 05:50 PM
Well, yes, but if they only get 7 systems and you're the 8th to show up, the timestamp won't matter.

However, they should be getting all 8 systems. The only thing that would make them get less would be Sony having production or distribution problems.

Gotcha. So as long as I'm in the store when the start selling them, even if there is a line of those who pre-ordered, I will get one because even if they only get 7, I can prove that I was first to pre-order? I promise this is the last question.

Supermallet
10-12-06, 06:01 PM
You should be able to do that, but I would talk to the employees there prior to the actual launch day. Every store runs just a little bit differently.

Edit: Actually, I would talk to the manager. Forget the standard associates.

ChrisHicks
10-13-06, 09:14 AM
anyone want to take a stab at what the online bundles might cost? $1000.00? $1200.00? more?

Noonan
10-13-06, 09:26 AM
I'm sure there will be some crazy bundles. I remember Gamestop had a 360 bundle which came with like every launch game, a plasma TV, and a surround sound system. Figure the least you'll be able to get will be the system, extra controller and one game. That alone would be about 700 if you're getting the more expensive version of the system.

Flay
10-13-06, 01:17 PM
Eurogamer got a peek at PS3 online: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68677

The debate about online gaming is over. (Although the debate about whether one can be "face to face" with a capability will perhaps linger.) While we've spent the last five years - and longer, in some cases - talking about whether online functions were actually important to games, that discussion is now at an end. Online won, although perhaps not in the way that its most loyal adherents had hoped for. Every next-gen console, and even every recent handheld console, now sports an online service out of the box; networks are becoming a core element of what we could, if we were being a bit pretentious, call "the gaming ecosystem".

That doesn't, however, mean that all games have become online games. We haven't dispensed with single-player, and we never will - for many people, compelling experiences come from storytelling or cinematics, not from deathmatch or 40-man raiding parties. It's still hard to tell just how many people actually care about online gaming in terms of actually playing with other people, but it's certainly a fairly small, albeit growing, proportion of gamers. No, the real explosion in online has come from other areas - such as the ability to get game demos, to access new content for your games, to communicate with friends, to create an online identity for yourself and even to download entirely new games or retro titles over the network. Multiplayer gaming, as distinct from online gaming, is just a small part of what is now a much larger tapestry.

Unsurprisingly, the PC has been the pioneer in this area, just as it was the first platform to really adopt networked multiplayer gaming. You've been able to download demos, shareware games and indie software for years, and of course communicating with friends and creating an identity for yourself is core to the PC's online functionality. In the console arena, Microsoft leads the charge; the Xbox was the first games console to have a broadband, fully functional online service that gave users friends lists, notifications, voice chat and so on as a core part of the console, rather than as a strapped-on afterthought, and Xbox 360 builds on that to a massive degree with services like Xbox Live Marketplace and Xbox Live Arcade.

Sony, on the other hand, is late to the party. The PlayStation 2 didn't even have a built-in network port, let alone a network service as part of the core offering - and while isolated online titles like Final Fantasy XI proved massively popular on PS2 (in places where it was available, anyway), even the most die-hard Sony fan couldn't exactly describe the PS2's online service as a success. Certainly, it had more users than Xbox Live did last generation - but then again, the PS2 also had an installed base five times larger. In terms of ease of use, consistency of interface, and simple accessibility - not to mention software support - PS2 online was a distant second place to Xbox Live.

Third Time Lucky

Sony doesn't intend on allowing that to happen again - and despite Microsoft's five-year headstart in the online arena, the creators of PlayStation 3 are hoping that they can roll out an online service to rival Microsoft's for the launch of their console in Japan and North America in just a few scant weeks' time. A quick glance around the Internet suggests that skepticism regarding that particular goal is high - to say the least. Can a company whose online strategy in the last generation was so patchy, and their actual service so weak, really turn things around on the online front in time for the PS3's launch?

There's one way to tell for sure - actually look at the service in the flesh. For that, there's nowhere better to go than the office of Sony's worldwide studios boss Phil Harrison, located in Soho just near London's Oxford Street. Lots of Soho offices are pretty swish - but few of them have a fully functioning PlayStation 3 unit sitting under a massive HDTV screen, and hooked up to the test version of the PS3 online network which will switch over into a live service in early November when the console heads to store shelves in Japan and America.

First things first, and before we even touch the PS3, it's worth mentioning a few key factors which Sony is relying on heavily for the online service. For a start, the PS3 is designed from the ground up as an online device - unlike the PS2, which suffered from a number of major problems on that front. Building an online device requires a few major differences from an offline box - for one, it's important to be able to update your operating system, so that when you add new services or change features, you can incorporate those into the console's dashboard. On the Xbox or Xbox 360, new services are added with occasional software patches that are issued over Xbox Live; the PS2 couldn't do that, so you actually had to boot into a piece of software to do anything related to online functions. That's a clunky, messy way of doing things, and it's a big part of the reason why PS2 online was so poor.

PS3, however, has a fully upgradeable operating system, which is capable of downloading patches over the network and applying them to itself. This actually isn't new territory for Sony - the PlayStation Portable does exactly the same thing, and since that device was launched, Sony has added loads of new online features using network updates, including a fully functional web browser with Flash and RSS support. Actually, the comparisons with PSP don't stop there - we'll come back to those in a moment.

The other big difference on PS3 is that the device has a hard drive - even in its lower-spec configuration. This means that unlike the PS2, which relied on small, expensive memory cards that could easily be moved from machine to machine or even lost entirely, the console has the ability to store its configuration properly and reliably - not to mention being able to download and store loads of content. You couldn't have done that on PS2, which crippled the system from an online point of view.

Softly, Softly

Okay, so Sony is getting it right on the hardware front this time. Let's not beat around the bush, though - hardware is only a small part of the battle. Online services live or die on the strength of their software. Can I set up an account easily? Can I add and manage friends without a doctorate in computer science? How about buying content, or browsing for demos?

Let's turn the console on and find out.

Booting up a PS3 immediately reminds you of the PSP once again, because you're presented with the Cross Media Bar - that row of category icons across the middle of the screen which expand out vertically to reveal a number of new options as you hover over them. In fact, PSP users will be right at home on the PS3, since Sony's drive to ensure that it's presenting a consistent interface to users of its products means that you'll even see exactly the same icons for the same functionality. Settings, Photo, Music, Video, Game... These are all familiar from the PlayStation Portable, and although each one of them undoubtedly sports additional functions here, that's not what we're here for.

No, we're really here for the new buttons on the bar. On the far left, the first thing you highlight when you log in is called User Profiles. On the far right, you've got two buttons called Network (which appeared on the PSP in a firmware update) and Friends. User Profiles looks like a little house with a smiling face on it; Network is a globe; Friends is two little houses with smiling faces sort of touching, in a platonic way. They're friends, you see. Friendly houses.

User Profiles works pretty much how you would expect it to, with a list of the different profiles stored on the console popping up in the vertical bar when this option is highlighted. Yes, this is old hat if you're an Xbox 360 user, but the PS3 will support multiple user profiles on the console - so when you turn it on, you select your own profile, and you're instantly logged into your own PlayStation Network account as well as activating all your own settings for the system. If you share a console with multiple different people, or if friends come around to play often, this is an incredibly useful feature.

Moving one left, we can make a brief stop off at Settings if you like - here, you'll find the settings page for your network, allowing you to enter exciting things like IP addresses and passwords for wireless access, using pretty much exactly the same interface as the PSP. As with other consoles (and, realistically, the majority of network devices these days), the chances are you'll never really need to tweak anything in here, as your home network probably allows devices to auto-configure themselves using DHCP. Obviously enough, the PS3 stores its settings permanently, so you won't have to re-enter them for different games or any such guff.

The One With The Single Sign-In ID

Okay, let's scoot across the bar to the right hand side. One in from the right you find the Network button; this, essentially, is the web browser on the console. Unlike the Xbox 360, PS3 has a fully functional web browser, which according to Harrison supports a wide variety of standards right up to the complex Web 2.0 stuff you find places like Gmail using - and you can access any site on the Internet through the browser. So yes, you'll be able to browse Eurogamer on your PS3; now there's a killer app for you. Much like the PSP browser, this one will also support stuff like bookmarks and all the other usual features you'd expect from a web browser.

We're now teetering on the very right hand edge of the Cross Media Bar, looking at the Friends icon. This is where the magic happens... Is what I'd probably say, if I were working in a circus.

On the Friends vertical bar, there are two different types of icon. The first, logically enough, are friends - each of your signed-in friends has their own icon on this bar, and you select that icon to view a number of different ways of interacting with them. The other icons are those for managing your PlayStation Network account. Let's talk about those first.

At heart, there are two types of PlayStation Network account - a master account, and an associated account. The chances are that most gamers will use master accounts, but associated accounts will be especially useful for families - where, for example, a parent (who holds a master account) wants to be able to limit the amount that their kids (with associated accounts) can spend in the PlayStation Store.

Either way, you create an account through a fairly simple process - a set of screens which ask you for sign-up information, and you're done. Those screens are actually displayed using the web browser component of the operating system, so it's just like filling in a registration form on a remote website - and then you're done. Every user on PlayStation Network has a single unique ID and sign-in details, just as you'd expect on any online service - and those sign-in IDs are global, so you'll be able to add your friends to your list regardless of where in the world they are.

Oh - and it's all free, too. The only place you'll be asked to fork over a penny is when you purchase something in the PlayStation Store - all of the online services, from sign-up right through to voice and video chat, are free, as is normal multiplayer gaming. There's no equivalent of the Xbox Live Gold account, where you're expected to pay extra for a further tier of services - the only things you'll pay money for are paid-for downloadable content, or subscriptions to premium services like massively multiplayer games.

So, once you add friends, what can you do with them? Obviously enough, you can check their status and see if they're online; you can see if you have any new messages from them, and send them messages. Sending emails through the system uses the same peculiar text messaging style keypad that users of the PSP will be familiar with, which seems a bit painful at first but rapidly becomes a much faster way of entering text than the on-screen keyboards used by other systems - however, if you're not really keen on using that to enter an entire message, you can always plug in any standard USB keyboard, which will work with any text entry field anywhere on the system, as well as with the web browser.

The other options available for you in terms of friends are voice and video chat. We haven't actually seen the accessories which will be used for this in the flesh, but EyeToy and voice headset components for the system are undoubtedly set for release close to launch, and the options for those functions are right there in the operating system already.

Again, those familiar with Xbox Live on the Xbox 360 won't find this terribly surprising, but it's worth noting that the system does show you friend sign-ins and new messages received in overlays on top of the game you're currently playing - just little notification windows which pop up to tell you about something happening with your friends list. At present, however, there's no system for actually reading or responding to messages while you're still in the game, as the operating system doesn't take resources away from games in order to do that - however, according to Harrison, that functionality may well appear in an OS update, presumably based on whether users actually express a desire for it or not.

Shop Till You Drop

Friends are one part of the equation. The other part is the PlayStation Store, which is where you'll be able to buy content, download demos, and manage any premium subscriptions you may have. This is basically the central hub for everything you do with the PS3 online, and it looks the part - again, Sony is making good use of the web browser built into the console, and the PlayStation Store looks quite similar to Apple's iTunes or, more appropriately, Sony's own Connect Music Store. Far from being just a simple list of things you can download, it's a really attractive interface which highlights key content and lets you filter all of the available bits and pieces according to your own preferences - so even when there are thousands of pieces of content on the store, which doesn't seem improbable, it'll still be easy to find what you want. The Store also utilises a shopping cart - so it's easy to browse through items, find the stuff you want, and then go to a checkout page where you proceed to make a sad face and empty the whole cart again, just like we do on Amazon about four times a week.

We're not going to talk in much depth about PlayStation Store, because what we saw was still undoubtedly being worked on frantically to prepare for the November launch. However, there are a few elements that it's worth talking about - the first of which is the Wallet, which lies at the heart of how you buy things on the Store. Unlike Nintendo and Microsoft's offerings, Sony doesn't hide the price of items behind an arbitrary "points" scheme - instead, everything simply lists a price in your local currency, so European types will see a Euro price, British people will see prices in Pounds Sterling, and so on. The Wallet, then, is basically your transaction centre - you put money into the Wallet, and then spend it in the store. Equally, you can set it up so that if you have associated accounts, for children for example, you can put a certain amount into their Wallets each month, giving them an allowance for how much can be spent on new content. Crucially, the Wallet is used for everything on the system - even for MMOG subscriptions to third parties. If it's on the PlayStation Network, you pay for it via Sony and the transaction with the third party is worked out elsewhere - so you're not expected to give credit card details out willy-nilly to everyone with content or services on the PS3.

Another interesting aspect of the Store, which Harrison first talked about at GDC last March, is the fact that while you'll be able to access all forms of content through the "generic store" that you view from the PS3 dashboard, games will also be able to have more specific stores which use the same interface, but display only downloads relevant to their content. Thanks to the web-based interface, games will be able to re-skin those stores to fit with their look and feel, and you'll access them directly from the in-game menu - which is a fairly minor touch, but a nice one nonetheless.

As to the content that will be available, Sony is still playing its cards close to its chest to some extent - but one thing the giant firm is clear on is that the PlayStation Store will grow to encompass more than just new game content and demos. Alongside the free and paid-for game content, the store will also play host to a wide range of new titles developed specifically for download (the first of which, fl0w, was shown off at TGS - dozens more PlayStation Store exclusive titles are being worked on around the world thanks to an initiative which Sony launched at GDC last year) - and as Ken Kutaragi revealed at TGS last month, it'll also be possible to buy PSone and PS2 classics you missed out on, as well as a selection of PSP games, from the PlayStation Store, and download them directly to your PS3.

It may not end there. Sony, after all, is one of the biggest music and movie companies in the world - and it already operates a music store, Connect. While no official plans to allow you to download music and movies directly to your PS3 have been announced, Sony insiders are adamant that that is on the roadmap for the service - so within a short space of time, the money in your Wallet could be used to buy any type of digital entertainment you fancy.

Brave New World

Once bitten, twice shy, the old saying goes - and based on that logic, Sony has some way to go before proving to people that it can do a comprehensive online gaming service. However, what we've seen is very promising. Account creation and management, buddy lists and various types of chat appear to be working just fine, the interface is simple and elegant, and the PlayStation Store, even at this early stage, looks like being one aspect of the service which will be a genuine improvement over Microsoft's offering, Xbox Live Marketplace - which is well-stocked, but has a terrible user interface that struggles to cope with the amount of content now available, and has only been marginally improved by recent updates.

There's still some way to go - and one area we're still intrigued by is what Sony will do about user profiles, which Microsoft revolutionised with Xbox 360 thanks to Gamer Points and Achievements. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're a big draw for many people, and how Sony will handle this aspect of its community remains to be seen.

However, for now we can say for certain that the online service is there - it exists and it's working, and according to Harrison, it will definitely launch right alongside the console this November. For those of us in Europe, of course, that probably means the rest of the world gets to iron out all the bugs before we see the console in March - there's always a silver lining on every dark cloud. Whatever your views on the console war may be, this is an excellent thing for gamers. Microsoft have a vast head-start over Sony online, but Sony's service has clearly learned many lessons from observing its rival, and in areas like the Store, is actually introducing new ideas and strong features which provide a genuine challenge. Head-start or not, Sony is now, finally, snapping at Microsoft's heels in the online space - and as the two giants inevitably launch into a race to take or maintain the lead in online services, the biggest winners of all will be gamers.

Nuff
10-13-06, 02:19 PM
Gotcha. So as long as I'm in the store when the start selling them, even if there is a line of those who pre-ordered, I will get one because even if they only get 7, I can prove that I was first to pre-order? I promise this is the last question.

In theory you are correct but it varies store to store. I have been in EB games before who just sell pre-order items to anyone first come first serve even if it means people who pre-ordered do not get it and some who have not pre-ordered do get them. The local Dallas stores, for example, are horrible for this.

Michael Corvin
10-13-06, 03:14 PM
The debate about online gaming is over. While we've spent the last five years - and longer, in some cases - talking about whether online functions were actually important to games, that discussion is now at an end.

rotfl In other words spent 5 years waiting on Sony to catch up to reality. I'd say the discussion ended a few years ago when MS started Live.

kgrogers1979
10-13-06, 04:08 PM
True online gaming does not start until Sony says it does.

UncleGramps
10-13-06, 04:39 PM
True online gaming does not start until Sony says it does.
rotfl Nice.

I think it's good for everyone if Sony can actually deliver an online service that's comparable to Live. Right now Live has no competition, so maybe we'll see it get cheaper or potentially even free (ad supported?) in order to stay competitive with Sony. While I'm far from a PS3 fan, this kind of competition is a good thing for all gamers, and I hope the PS3 comes through on this one.

Schloob1
10-13-06, 04:48 PM
I was at Target today and must say that Sony's advertising had me a little bit amused. They had 2 banners up in the display case where the PS3 will be. Both banners had a picture of the system on them and the Blu-ray symbol (which is very important I feel BTW), but it was the taglines on both that caught my eye. On the one it said "Beyond High-Def", to that I say WTH?, this makes no sense at all. Then it gets better with the other one "Experience High Definition Gaming". Like what the heck have I been doing for almost a year now with my 360 Sony? The only thing I can gather from the second one is meant toward the average consumer who apparently may have no clue
about the 360 and are just a Sony loyalist to the end.

THoughts? Personally it did not give me that WOW factor of I must own this
system IF I was a casual consumer.

Supermallet
10-13-06, 06:37 PM
rotfl Nice.

I think it's good for everyone if Sony can actually deliver an online service that's comparable to Live. Right now Live has no competition, so maybe we'll see it get cheaper or potentially even free (ad supported?) in order to stay competitive with Sony. While I'm far from a PS3 fan, this kind of competition is a good thing for all gamers, and I hope the PS3 comes through on this one.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Sony's going to have a bitch of a time mainting a free online service that matches Xbox Live without having something hit the consumer in the tail end. Whether it be more expensive downloads, idiotic crap like Gran Turismo HD, or just a general deterioration of the live service over time, eventually the consumer will suffer.

Michael Corvin
10-13-06, 09:39 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again, Sony's going to have a bitch of a time mainting a free online service that matches Xbox Live without having something hit the consumer in the tail end. Whether it be more expensive downloads, idiotic crap like Gran Turismo HD, or just a general deterioration of the live service over time, eventually the consumer will suffer.

I think it will be the asshats. With zero fees, there will be no repurcussions for childish conduct, mods & cheating. Anyone can create a new account at the drop of a hat if it's free. Just doesn't sound like a promising game environment at all.

Supermallet
10-13-06, 10:41 PM
I agree that will be one negative aspect.

Matt Naglieri
10-14-06, 09:53 PM
Just have a question that doesn't seem to be covered yet, like the wii the PS3 is using a self loading drive for the software. Won't this cause a great deal of damage to the discs? Maybe it's just me but I don't feel like I should have to shove a $60 disc into a small slot in a $600 machine.

Also I noticed this disclaimer on the sony Playstation 3 website (http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/about.html)

Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.

So I guess if my HDTV supports HDMI and only 1080i I won't be able to view a blu-ray disc on the PS3 or am I reading this wrong??

SoonerDoc
10-14-06, 11:13 PM
Also I noticed this disclaimer on the sony Playstation 3 website (http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/about.html)

Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.

So I guess if my HDTV supports HDMI and only 1080i I won't be able to view a blu-ray disc on the PS3 or am I reading this wrong??

you are reading this wrong. it is saying you can only get the 1080p image if you are using HDMI cable and you tv has HDCP protected HDMI input. the disclaimer is telling people you will not get 1080p output with noncopy protected HDMI televisions or you will not get 1080p output with component.

Matt Naglieri
10-14-06, 11:15 PM
thanks for clearing that up for me

Lee Harvey Oswald
10-15-06, 12:02 PM
Has the PS2 had a real recent drop in price? Any rumors that it might drop again during the PS3 launch?

Decker
10-15-06, 12:52 PM
I think it will be the asshats. With zero fees, there will be no repurcussions for childish conduct, mods & cheating. Anyone can create a new account at the drop of a hat if it's free. Just doesn't sound like a promising game environment at all.
Well, the SOCOM games have some sort of protection that if someone is caught cheating, they can't take that copy of the game online anymore. It's called DNAse, I think. Don't know how well it works, though.

fumanstan
10-15-06, 01:32 PM
Has the PS2 had a real recent drop in price? Any rumors that it might drop again during the PS3 launch?

I don't think there's been any rumors about the PS2 price dropping further. With sales still solid and such a large gap in price points between the PS2 and 3, there probably isnt any reason for Sony to drop the price.

RockStrongo
10-17-06, 04:40 PM
I just preordered 6 from my source...odd cause Im first on the list!!

The guy told me that he wondered why more people havent called?? Hmm.

Yes, im a scoundrel and these will be going up on ebay.

Fandango
10-17-06, 05:52 PM
I posted this in the other thread but it seems like no one saw it there. It may not be as easy as you all think to sell these on ebay.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061015-7988.html

Liver&Onions
10-17-06, 06:01 PM
that just means it needs to be done within the terms of Ebay/Paypal...no biggie :)

Kocheese99
10-17-06, 06:06 PM
I posted this in the other thread but it seems like no one saw it there. It may not be as easy as you all think to sell these on ebay.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061015-7988.html

Interesting, but i find it very hard to believe that Ebay will be able to enforce once the system actually launches. Why don't they do this with bootleg dvd's?

RockStrongo
10-17-06, 06:56 PM
Eh, im not worried...if I cant sell them, then I can return them where I got them.

DamingR
10-17-06, 09:56 PM
According to Joystiq, the EGM scores are out for the launch games. Anybody have the scores????

fumanstan
10-17-06, 10:13 PM
According to Joystiq, the EGM scores are out for the launch games. Anybody have the scores????

If they meant it was in the latest issue (the one with Gears of War on the coveR), I don't see any.

UncleGramps
10-17-06, 10:22 PM
Are you talking about this post?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/17/t-minus-one-month-until-ps3-and-wii-impact/

If so, EGM just summarized the previous gen's launch title scores. So those are averages for the PS2 and Gamecube launch titles. AFAIK, there are no PS3 or Wii reviews yet.

Supermallet
10-18-06, 05:00 AM
Yeah, it was a pretty silly article, actually.

DamingR
10-18-06, 07:15 AM
Sorry, it was late and I mis-read that article.

Josh H
10-18-06, 11:54 AM
Yeah, EGM just has that article. Wii and PS3 launch reviews will be in the next issue that won't be out for probably 3 weeks.

Flay
10-18-06, 05:42 PM
The PS3 wireless controller uses a non-replaceable battery?

http://gaming-edge.blogspot.com/2006/10/sony-clarifies-some-ps3-controller-talk.html

Sony clarifies some PS3 controller talk

Though there's still so much up in the air about the PS3 still, the controller is really one of the hot button issues.

There was an update today, based on Japanese tech site Broadband Watch.

According to the report, the controller will have to be paired to the console via the USB cable before play. This pairing process will be required each time the console has been shut down and turned back on, or - given the rough translation - possibly every time the controller has lost power.

It's unlikely that putting the console into standby mode will cause a reconnection requirement, if it's console-related. It's also unlikely that many of those lucky (?) enough to get a launch PS3 are going to want to leave it on, even powered-down, 24/7.

Those wondering about battery life will be happy to note the controller is expected to get about 30 hours of playtime out of one 2.5 hour charge. As the battery isn't replaceable, when it's no longer recharging the controller needs to be replaced or sent for repairs.

Does either option seem especially appealing?

Oh well, it's not like we can't trust Sony's batteries. DOH!

Supermallet
10-18-06, 05:47 PM
Oof, lame. I swear, someone at Sony is going to get fired over the PS3.

Liver&Onions
10-18-06, 05:51 PM
The PS3 wireless controller uses a non-replaceable battery?

http://gaming-edge.blogspot.com/2006/10/sony-clarifies-some-ps3-controller-talk.html

I thought that was one of thier features - that you didn't have to get a separate battery pack. :-/
I'm starting to really think about ebaying my system now :(

Flay
10-18-06, 06:18 PM
I thought that was one of thier features - that you didn't have to get a separate battery pack. :-/
I'm starting to really think about ebaying my system now :(

Perhaps it was. I haven't read up on the controller very closely.

Deftones
10-18-06, 08:33 PM
That would be sweet if PS3 controller started bursting into flames shortly after launch. :lol:

The Bus
10-19-06, 05:18 PM
For what it's worth, Talladega Nights for free to the first 500,000 PS3 owners is now confirmed.

Liver&Onions
10-19-06, 05:19 PM
For what it's worth, Talladega Nights for free to the first 500,000 PS3 owners is now confirmed.

Now I'm REALLY gonna sell this on ebay.

thank you baby jesus.

Setzer
10-19-06, 05:45 PM

HOT DAMN! Now I'm NOT going to be selling mine on ebay!

:p

Decker
10-19-06, 05:50 PM
For what it's worth, Talladega Nights for free to the first 500,000 PS3 owners is now confirmed.Well, now the PS3 seems like a bargain at that price.

Save Ferris
10-19-06, 06:11 PM

They're making 500,000 units?!?

;) did they say which region would get these DVDs? North America I assume?

hail2dking
10-19-06, 06:16 PM
Sony clarifies some PS3 controller talk

Though there's still so much up in the air about the PS3 still, the controller is really one of the hot button issues.

There was an update today, based on Japanese tech site Broadband Watch.

According to the report, the controller will have to be paired to the console via the USB cable before play. This pairing process will be required each time the console has been shut down and turned back on, or - given the rough translation - possibly every time the controller has lost power.

It's unlikely that putting the console into standby mode will cause a reconnection requirement, if it's console-related. It's also unlikely that many of those lucky (?) enough to get a launch PS3 are going to want to leave it on, even powered-down, 24/7.

Those wondering about battery life will be happy to note the controller is expected to get about 30 hours of playtime out of one 2.5 hour charge. As the battery isn't replaceable, when it's no longer recharging the controller needs to be replaced or sent for repairs.

Does either option seem especially appealing?

Oh well, it's not like we can't trust Sony's batteries. DOH!

hmmm, so are they saying that every time you turn on the PS3 you have to attach the controller, wait for it to "pair", then you can unplug it and use it wirelessly? Wow, I have gotten used to turning on the 360 with the controller.

I guess this also mean you will be required to buy a second controller. If the battery dies in the middle of a gaming session, you can't just swap batteries/battery packs, now you have to swap controllers.

(in other news, Resistance didn't make the cut at 1080p, it will be released at 720p)

edit: maybe the controller will maintain its pairing when on standby, just not when it is switched off

Mordred
10-19-06, 06:48 PM
According to the report, the controller will have to be paired to the console via the USB cable before play. This pairing process will be required each time the console has been shut down and turned back on, or - given the rough translation - possibly every time the controller has lost power.I think there's a problem with the translation. I can't imagine they would do something so stupid, but I've been wrong before. My guess is that if the controller's battery is completely depleted it will have to be re-paired. I would also assume that the controller will be recharged through the same pairing USB cable so even if I'm wrong this won't be all that big a deal as I assume people will be keeping them plugged in when not in use normally.

Also, all the people complaining about the controller having a non-replaceable battery must not own iPods. I would also imagine that 3rd party replacement batteries would spring up for the controller, just like the do for iPods if you're brave enough to replace it yourself.

xmiyux
10-19-06, 06:54 PM
I would also assume that the controller will be recharged through the same pairing USB cable so even if I'm wrong this won't be all that big a deal as I assume people will be keeping them plugged in when not in use normally.

I don't do this with my 360 controllers. They sit on shelves or in a storage drawer unless i'm playing. If they need charged i throw them charging on my PC but i would never just leave them connected and charging to the 360 - it is a nuisance to dig them out versus grabbing them off the shelf and turning the system on that way.

Supermallet
10-19-06, 07:57 PM
Apparently Sony announced that the pairing thing works just like the 360 does with its controllers. But the nonreplacable battery thing is true.

kgrogers1979
10-19-06, 08:09 PM
So Sony is throwing in a free DVD of Talladega Nights that many people won't want, but they are leaving out the HDMI cable which is more important since they are wanting to push 1080p so hard. :hscratch:

kgrogers1979
10-19-06, 08:12 PM
(in other news, Resistance didn't make the cut at 1080p, it will be released at 720p)

So :wtf: is the 22GB for then? I thought they said they needed that much for all the 1080p videos.

Supermallet
10-19-06, 08:38 PM
Actually, it's a free BD of Talladega Nights. And that's not a bad move.

And the 22GB is to hold all the marketing hype.

Binger
10-19-06, 08:45 PM
I just saw a marketing comparison on engadget about the PS3 that was done by Sony. It listed the wireless card in the PS3 as 802.11b. I thought the PS3 was 802.11g. Not that it would matter for online gaming, but if it's only wireless b that kills any hope of using it as a media server as it would be far to little bandwidth to stream HD. I guess it dosen't matter anyway because we don't even know if we will ever be able to stream audio/video to the thing in the first place.

hail2dking
10-19-06, 09:16 PM
Ted Price the lead developer of Resistance: Fall of Man has released the following quote on his blog about the 1080P issue: We’ve gotten a few questions about whether Resistance will be running in 1080p or 720p. In fact, AssassinX01 brought this up in his comments on my last blog. Over the past few months we've told all of the enthusiast magazines and websites that we will TRY for 1080p. And indeed we did try. But when we began making our final discs we made the decision to release at 720p. Why? Native 1080p (versus 720p scaled to 1080p) uses much more VRAM than 720p. When we finished up a few of our bigger levels at the very end of the development process we realized that we would have had to steal VRAM from some of our characters and environments to run in native 1080p. Some of you who aren’t familiar with hardware in general may be asking “So didn’t you say you freed up more space?” Well yes, but VRAM and disc space are two completely separate things. VRAM/RAM is the 512Mb of dynamic memory allocated to game assets at runtime versus the 25Gb or so of permanent storage on a single-layer Blu-Ray. Anyway, we felt it was best to stay at 720p and that, at least while 1080p televisions are still relatively scarce, we should focus on implementing 1080p for our future game....

here (http://www.unclegamer.com/ug-news/discuss/ted_price_resistance_fall_of_man_will_not_be_in_1080p/)

Supermallet
10-19-06, 09:18 PM
I've been saying for months that almost all next gen console games will come out at 720p for this reason.

The Bus
10-20-06, 09:13 AM
That's the biggest title in the launch, I think. Too bad. :(

Josh H
10-20-06, 12:19 PM
Good news for ebayers, bad news for those actually wanting a PS3 this year.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154562

Sony: We May Not Hit Shipment Targets
"Clearly we've had production issues," says Sony.

by Patrick Klepek, 10/20/2006
6 of 6 users recommend this story.

Just this week, Sony re-confirmed previous assertions they'd be shipping one million PlayStation 3 units to North America by the end of the year. Including Japan, that number becomes two million, and including the European launch next March, that becomes six million worldwide. Are these numbers realistic? Even Sony admits they're not definite in an article on Bloomberg this morning. Oops?
"The honest answer is it's [our worldwide shipment numbers] more of a target," said Sony Computer Entertainment America co-chairman Jack Tretton. "Clearly we've had production issues."

We imagine the reason shipment numbers for the launch -- 400,000 in the US, 100,000 in Japan -- are so low are because they're accurate. The question's whether production will ramp up enough to maintain the rest of their announced targets. Can you hear the collective moan of gamers drowned out by the cries of victory from eBay users?

pinata242
10-20-06, 12:21 PM
So is the 400k locally still on because it was a lowball and attainable or is it also a "target" and we may see fewer still?

Josh H
10-20-06, 12:22 PM
Sounds like 400K for launch is still on, but the 1 million by years end will not be attainable.

Draven
10-20-06, 02:10 PM
Good lord - what a clusterfuck.

Michael Corvin
10-20-06, 02:25 PM
Sounds like 400K for launch is still on, but the 1 million by years end will not be attainable.

Sounds identical to the 360 fiasco.

Ted Price the lead developer of Resistance: Fall of Man has released the following quote on his blog about the 1080P issue: We’ve gotten a few questions about whether Resistance will be running in 1080p or 720p. In fact, AssassinX01 brought this up in his comments on my last blog. Over the past few months we've told all of the enthusiast magazines and websites that we will TRY for 1080p. And indeed we did try. But when we began making our final discs we made the decision to release at 720p. Why? Native 1080p (versus 720p scaled to 1080p) uses much more VRAM than 720p. When we finished up a few of our bigger levels at the very end of the development process we realized that we would have had to steal VRAM from some of our characters and environments to run in native 1080p. Some of you who aren’t familiar with hardware in general may be asking “So didn’t you say you freed up more space?” Well yes, but VRAM and disc space are two completely separate things. VRAM/RAM is the 512Mb of dynamic memory allocated to game assets at runtime versus the 25Gb or so of permanent storage on a single-layer Blu-Ray. Anyway, we felt it was best to stay at 720p and that, at least while 1080p televisions are still relatively scarce, we should focus on implementing 1080p for our future game....

Like Major Nelson or not, but he had an HD guy on a recent podcast discussing this exact topic. The guy basically said this exact same thing. 1080p is possible on the PS3 but there will be trade-offs to attain it, based on the internal structure of the system. Going on to mention memory and textures and what not(very technical). It was easy to dismiss because, well, it's a 360 podcast and you expect bias. As it stands that guy was right on the money though.

and no one has posted Sony's bullshit retail comparison yet? Just another in a long line of misteps. It is literally a joke. Story on Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/)

I agree with Suprmallet.

Deftones
10-20-06, 02:30 PM
Good lord - what a clusterfuck.

As if this wasn't expected. Sony has always sucked at launches.

pinata242
10-20-06, 02:31 PM
and no one has posted Sony's bullshit retail comparison yet? Just another in a long line of misteps. It is literally a joke. Story on Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/)
[Nintendo-fan-boy-mode]
Nintendo needs to demand Sony print a retraction/correction on that "$0 for the first 6 months" BS under the Free Online Access stuff. Is this "misinformation" actionable as anything like libel?
[/Nintendo-fan-boy-mode]

Michael Corvin
10-20-06, 02:39 PM
[Nintendo-fan-boy-mode]
Nintendo needs to demand Sony print a retraction/correction on that "$0 for the first 6 months" BS under the Free Online Access stuff. Is this "misinformation" actionable as anything like libel?
[/Nintendo-fan-boy-mode]

Well it was only meant for retailer's eyes, not the consumer, so I wonder that as well. The whole thing is bogus, but twisting the Wii browser (that MAY cost somthing next year) into all online access is definitely a stretch.

The whole thing reeks of a desperate company. So instead of taking on the compitition with the merits of your product you are going to lie to the customer about the other companies options? Sure it is a [low]standard business practice, but definitely low for a company that dominated the previous gen.

her34
10-20-06, 02:40 PM
So Sony is throwing in a free DVD of Talladega Nights that many people won't want, but they are leaving out the HDMI cable which is more important since they are wanting to push 1080p so hard. :hscratch:

sony knows people will pay for a hdmi cable to see will ferrell in 1080p glory

RichC2
10-20-06, 02:49 PM
So Sony is throwing in a free DVD of Talladega Nights that many people won't want, but they are leaving out the HDMI cable which is more important since they are wanting to push 1080p so hard.

And even fewer would actually need an HDMI cable. Talladega Nights will be the unofficial best selling title in the next generation video format wars when the PS3 launches, even if only 5% of the owners want the movie, they'll have it.

ChrisHicks
10-20-06, 02:51 PM
too bad those who really would want that movie for free will end up paying out the rearend for it.

Draven
10-20-06, 02:51 PM
As if this wasn't expected. Sony has always sucked at launches.

Was the PS1 this messed up? I can't remember if we already talked about this, but you'd think that a company that experienced the PS2 mess and saw what happened to the Xbox would have gotten their shit together for this round.

Especially since we can't actually start "next gen" until they say so, they've really taken a lot of responsibility on with this launch!

Deftones
10-20-06, 02:52 PM
I don't think it was quite messed up, but limited quantities.

Michael Corvin
10-20-06, 02:53 PM
Especially since we can't actually start "next gen" until they say so,

rotfl

Makes me laugh everytime I see it. Not to mention we are starting next-gen with composite cables. :up:

xmiyux
10-20-06, 04:47 PM
rotfl

Makes me laugh everytime I see it. Not to mention we are starting next-gen with composite cables. :up:

Does anyone have a link to where this orignated from? I guess i missed out on the whole "next gen starts when we say so" thing.

pinata242
10-20-06, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure it happened at Sony's 2005 E3 Press Conference.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615091/vids_1.html

Draven
10-20-06, 05:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it happened at Sony's 2005 E3 Press Conference.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615091/vids_1.html

I thought Kaz Hirai said it this year.

EDIT: Found it: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3873239408289378637

At the 2:00 mark

pinata242
10-20-06, 05:08 PM
I said I was only "pretty sure" ;) I'm rarely right.

UncleGramps
10-20-06, 05:09 PM
Draven already posted about this, but wikipedia confirms that it was from E3 2006:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Kazuo_Hirai

It's also printed in this CNN article: http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/08/technology/ps3_pricing/index.htm

pinata242
10-20-06, 05:12 PM
I thought Kaz Hirai said it this year.

EDIT: Found it: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3873239408289378637

At the 2:00 mark
Weird that he says "We've said on many occasions that..."

Was that really the first time it was said?

Draven
10-20-06, 05:14 PM
Weird that he says "We've said on many occasions that..."

Was that really the first time it was said?

No idea. Maybe they said it a lot internally. That was the first time I remembered hearing it in a public setting.

kgrogers1979
10-20-06, 06:29 PM

The 360 HD-DVD is required. rotfl rotfl rotfl

Wireless controller is required. rotfl rotfl rotfl

Xbox Live Gold is required. rotfl rotfl rotfl

Sounds like Sony is getting desperate if they are claiming you need to spend $700 to get a "playable" core 360 vs $500 for the core PS3.

kgrogers1979
10-20-06, 06:39 PM
Not to mention we are starting next-gen with composite cables. :up:

I still think this could really come back to bite them in the ass. Joe Sixpack probably doesn't know that you need component for HD. Joe Sixpack will get his PS3, watch the free Talladega Nights BD via the included composite cables, and say that there is no improvement over standard DVD. This could really hurt BD sales when Joe Sixpack is deciding to buy a $15 DVD vs a $25 BD on new release day.

Supermallet
10-20-06, 08:27 PM
Not only that, but they'll play a PS3 game with those composite cables and wonder why it looks like ass next to their buddy's 360.

fmian
10-21-06, 04:32 AM
Not only that, but they'll play a PS3 game with those composite cables and wonder why it looks like ass next to their buddy's 360.
That's ok, cause most people will be playing it on 51cm 4:3 tube TV's anyway.

kgrogers1979
10-21-06, 07:10 AM
That's ok, cause most people will be playing it on 51cm 4:3 tube TV's anyway.

That's true for now at least. Over the next couple years, I think most people will be getting HDTVs as the prices drop and analog cable programs die off completely. There are already a lot of Joe Sixpacks buying HDTVs. Just look at all the people wondering why some movies still have black bars even though the TV is widescreen and their DVD is widescreen. While I was at Circuit City one time, I overheard one person trying to return his HDTV; he thought it was defective because he still got black bars. :lol:

These people probably won't bother or have the knowledge to buy the optional component or HDMI cables for their PS3. They will just use the included composite cable. Then they will wonder why their BDs look no better than standard DVDs and why their games look worse than 360 games.

DRG
10-22-06, 01:14 AM
The 360 HD-DVD is required. rotfl rotfl rotfl

Wireless controller is required. rotfl rotfl rotfl

Xbox Live Gold is required. rotfl rotfl rotfl

Sounds like Sony is getting desperate if they are claiming you need to spend $700 to get a "playable" core 360 vs $500 for the core PS3.

Not to mention the ridiculous idea that someone would buy the core unit and then buy the HDD and wireless controller as separate items instead of just buying the premium package.

collven
10-22-06, 04:41 AM
That's true for now at least. Over the next couple years, I think most people will be getting HDTVs as the prices drop and analog cable programs die off completely. There are already a lot of Joe Sixpacks buying HDTVs. Just look at all the people wondering why some movies still have black bars even though the TV is widescreen and their DVD is widescreen. While I was at Circuit City one time, I overheard one person trying to return his HDTV; he thought it was defective because he still got black bars. :lol:

These people probably won't bother or have the knowledge to buy the optional component or HDMI cables for their PS3. They will just use the included composite cable. Then they will wonder why their BDs look no better than standard DVDs and why their games look worse than 360 games.

OK, let's say Mr. J6P does buy an HDTV after buying a PS3. If they have already had their PS3 hooked to a regular tv, what makes you think they would even unhook those and hook up component cables if they were included with the PS3 in the first place? If they are stupid enough not to know what component cables are for, they wouldn't even bother. They would just unhook the composite cables from the old tv and hook them up to the new tv and not even think about the other cables in the PS3 box.

Trust me, after working in retail in the past, anyone who buys an HDTV is going to be pushed into buying component or HDMI cables for everything they will connect to that tv, unless they buy the tv at Wal-Mart. They'll even be told that, if they already have some cheap bundled cables, "those cables aren't good enough so buy these spiffy Monster Cables over here".

I still think that anyone who even knows what component is and cares already had those cables with their PS2s and will just use those for the PS3. As for HDMI, you can find those pretty cheap nowadays.

Fandango
10-22-06, 05:12 PM
http://blog.nonmundane.org/archives/2006/10/21/how-to-list-your-ps3-pre-order-on-ebay-and-not-get-delisted/

Liver&Onions
10-23-06, 07:11 PM
So the "Entitlements" concept is gone now. I was wondering about this as it hasn't been mentioned at all...

Tretton did suggest plans to incorporate a "pan-console" scoring system into first-party titles, but admitted that Sony had not decided on a name for this feature and that developers of first-party launch titles would likely pass on it. While excluded from Sony's aforementioned scoring system, third-party publishers will have the option to include their own achievement-like rewards, "on a game-by-game basis."

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/23/no-gamerscore-no-achievements-on-ps3/

Flay
10-23-06, 08:27 PM
So the "Entitlements" concept is gone now. I was wondering about this as it hasn't been mentioned at all...

Tretton did suggest plans to incorporate a "pan-console" scoring system into first-party titles, but admitted that Sony had not decided on a name for this feature and that developers of first-party launch titles would likely pass on it. While excluded from Sony's aforementioned scoring system, third-party publishers will have the option to include their own achievement-like rewards, "on a game-by-game basis."

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/23/no-gamerscore-no-achievements-on-ps3/

rotfl In other words, it will be exactly like it was on the PS2.

Huge mistake. Those competitive achievements and silly gamerscore points are the main reason I've played nearly all the Xbox 360 titles. Otherwise, only a handful of titles would have entered my 360.

That little tidbit makes me wonder how similar Sony thinks their service is to Xbox Live.

pizzamousechips
10-24-06, 12:07 AM
rotfl In other words, it will be exactly like it was on the PS2.

Huge mistake. Those competitive achievements and silly gamerscore points are the main reason I've played nearly all the Xbox 360 titles. Otherwise, only a handful of titles would have entered my 360.

That little tidbit makes me wonder how similar Sony thinks their service is to Xbox Live.
Yup. It's going to be a huge advantage to Microsoft in terms of multiplatform games. It's guaranteed exclusive content.

xmiyux
10-24-06, 06:09 AM
The achievements were one of the big reasons i chose the 360 version of Lego Star Wars II over the Xbox or any other version.

BBEANLPHIE
10-24-06, 07:55 PM
Can anyone confirm if a standard male to male HDMI cable will work on the ps3 or would I need a specific one to use on the PS3 like a Sony made custom one. I looked at the pics on the official site and do not see any HDMI out just the Multi av out port on the back!

Supermallet
10-24-06, 08:16 PM
HDMI on PS3 is standard.

BBEANLPHIE
10-24-06, 08:57 PM
Looking at the pics on the official site I see no HDMI out on the back of the system for video. I see a Multi AV OUT port which is what we have on the PS2. My question is does this mean I need to get a specific HDMI cable to use on the PS3 since a standard HDMI cable purchased from Best buy for example would not be compatible?

msdmoney
10-24-06, 09:40 PM
Looking at the pics on the official site I see no HDMI out on the back of the system for video. I see a Multi AV OUT port which is what we have on the PS2. My question is does this mean I need to get a specific HDMI cable to use on the PS3 since a standard HDMI cable purchased from Best buy for example would not be compatible?

I think it is supposed to have a standard HDMI out, see this gamepro picture.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=68588

Plus I don't think special hdmi connections are allowed under the hdmi spec. I read that somewhere over on the AVS forums, but I'm sure some of the other dvdtalkers would know. That is a good thing in my eyes, since the big three hardware manufacturers love to make money on their proprietary cables. I would rather just pick a standard hdmi cable up from monoprice (Best Buy charges too much for cables).

bballing
10-24-06, 09:53 PM
Anybody know what my odds are of landing one of these in a couple weeks when they come out?

ChrisHicks
10-24-06, 09:57 PM
Anybody know what my odds are of landing one of these in a couple weeks when they come out?

if you have over $2000.00 and an ebay account you may get one.

bballing
10-24-06, 10:05 PM
Was the PS1 this messed up? I can't remember if we already talked about this, but you'd think that a company that experienced the PS2 mess and saw what happened to the Xbox would have gotten their shit together for this round.

Especially since we can't actually start "next gen" until they say so, they've really taken a lot of responsibility on with this launch!

With the PS1, people were still looking at the system with a lot of questions. I was easily able to buy one for $299, and I remember a lot of people questioning the price.

bballing
10-24-06, 10:06 PM

Nope. So you are telling me I have no chance of picking one up at Best Buy or Walmart?

Fandango
10-24-06, 11:18 PM
You might have to campout for it on release day to get one, as for how many hours in advance who knows.

Here is a link with pictures of a boxed prototype, you can clearly see the HDMI out on the back.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/741/741368/imgs_1.html

fumanstan
10-24-06, 11:20 PM
Nope. So you are telling me I have no chance of picking one up at Best Buy or Walmart?

Pretty much. From the looks of things it seems like it will be worse then the XBox 360's launch. I can see maybe another small allotment between launch and the end of the year, but unless we've all been mislead, it'll probably be hard to get one until early 07.

Schloob1
10-25-06, 05:06 PM
What I am curious to see is what possibly happens if at the last minute EbGames and the other small stores do not get their "promised" allotment and these people who bought preorders off Ebay are told the seller does not have it right away. Only a couple auctions have I seen where the buyer is smart and says I will ship as soon as I have it as opposed to saying they will ship on release day.

Also of note, I cannot recall but I do not remember that large of a pre-selling for the 360(or at least such high prices). Why I mention this is that I am curious to see what kind of effect this will have on the selling price of systems after they release. Perhaps all the "extreme" bidding will be done with the preorders. I still believe that they will sell well but not at such high prices. I must say seeing prices of $1500-2000 for a system that no one truly has even played shows extremly blind faith in the Sony product. Damn the fact that I did not go on DVDTalk the day before the news of the EbGames preorders or I would have been there myself. The line for TRU preorders on the 29th are going to be ugly :)

Zodo
10-25-06, 07:33 PM
I still can't believe the thing doesn't come with Component cables... Is there any sort of confirmation from Sony that it DEFINITELY won't come with them, but the the PS2 ones do work?

Also, I see on EBGames.com a PS3/PS2 controller adapter. Does this mean that games like guitar hero II will work on the PS3 if I get this adapter?

edstein
10-25-06, 10:25 PM
Looks like composite cables to me.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/10/playstation-3-unwrapped-200.jpg

pinata242
10-25-06, 11:07 PM
I see composite, ethernet, power, and usb/controller-charging cables. What's the one on the left with the yellowish end?

edstein
10-25-06, 11:22 PM
Looks like a memory card adapter.

Here's some more pics. http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/741/741368/imgs_1.html

pinata242
10-25-06, 11:27 PM
That's the first I've heard of that being included. Nice of Sony to throw that in, if true. I could easily see that being something for which they want to charge a premium.

Fandango
10-25-06, 11:48 PM
I don't think thats a memory card adapter, the cable looks like its too long to be that. Sony has stated the adapter will be $14.99

taffer
10-26-06, 01:22 AM
I must say seeing prices of $1500-2000 for a system that no one truly has even played shows extremly blind faith in the Sony product.

I agree. I love video games, but there is no way I could ever justify spending that much cash on a console. I can wait until spring to buy it for the normal retail price at Wal-mart. Launch consoles have historically been pretty faulty too. It usually takes them at least a batch or two to work out all the bugs. I can't wait to see the faces of these people who buy a PS3 for $2000 only to have it die within a year.

On another note, does anyone know if there will be a VGA cable option for the PS3?

collven
10-26-06, 03:27 AM
I see composite, ethernet, power, and usb/controller-charging cables. What's the one on the left with the yellowish end?

Remember, this is a British site. It could be component cables since it's a debug unit, not retail packaging. I'm sure Sony wants to make sure any magazine or website looking at their games will be using, at least, component if not HDMI. It could also be something to hook up to a PAL tv instead of NTSC. It's definitely not a memory card adaptor.

RockStrongo
10-26-06, 08:28 AM

He can buy one of my auctions with that. ;)

actyper
10-26-06, 01:16 PM
Keep an eye out on amazon.com preorders. Amazon.ca just released a batch about 2hrs ago. Unfortunately I missed it.

bahgee
10-26-06, 01:32 PM
did they send out e-mail alerts?

actyper
10-26-06, 03:25 PM
nm

This item was erroneously made available for pre-order at Amazon.ca. You can no longer pre-order this console, and current pre-orders will be canceled. We apologize for any inconvenience.

aliciaelena
10-29-06, 09:21 AM
Did anyone camp out at Toys R Us for a PS3 Pre-order? How did you do?

ChrisHicks
10-29-06, 10:12 AM
we were out last night at 1:00am(or was it 2:00am? stupid time change. ;) ) so we decided to take a ride by TRU. there was around 35 cars in the parking lot and we saw atleast 7-8 tents and atleast another 15 people just standing out in the cold(the temp was a lovely 39 degrees with a wind chill of 31. just crazy.

aliciaelena
10-29-06, 12:17 PM
Aw!... This year's launch is so frustrating! Single number units available only at Gamestop and now Toys R Us, less than 3 weeks before launch and no online pre-orders. I wonder what craziness will develop outside the nation's Walmarts, Best Buys, Circuit City's, etc. on the eve of Nov. 17th. I hope people don't get hurt over this, but I can foresee the potential for conflict. At the very least, online stores should start offering pre-sales of whatever stock they already know they're getting to ease some steam from this.

Flay
10-29-06, 01:13 PM
Cheapassgamer is reporting PS3 bundles will go up on Gamestop/Ebgames online sites this week on the 1st. Also reporting Walmart.com bundles on the 11th.

dvd182
10-29-06, 03:10 PM
Did anyone camp out at Toys R Us for a PS3 Pre-order? How did you do?

I originally posted this on another board, but here goes (warning: long post ahead):

Original plan was to go down at about 10 p.m. Saturday night and get in line with my brother and score 2 ps3's.

Woke up around noon on Saturday, checked FW and CAG and read about possible lotteries and people being removed from line until stores close. Also saw some stores had long lines, so called the local TRU and found out no lotteries, but people in line already. TRU is 2 mins from my apartment, so sped over there and saw 2 high schoolers in line. Dropped my brother off, ran to WalMart and bought 2 $8 sleeping bags and 2 $2 dollar pillows, a 24 pack of water, 2 12 packs of pop, and some random Halloween candy. Prayed there wouldn't be anyone else in line by the time I got back, and there wasn't.

Hopped in line at about 1:30 p.m. with my brother, so this made 4 in line total. Manager came out and said we were crazy, but there were 3 60gb ps3s and 1 20gb PS3, so we'd all get one. Here is a timeline of what happened afterwards:

1:45 - Comicbook style guy came out and recited all of the eBay rules. I'm not sure what his endgame was, as he didn't really look like he wanted to be in line.

2:00 - 2 older but still living in their parents basement guys came and were ready to wait. Manager came out and told them 4 only, so they took off. I'm only noting this because one of them brought a steel chair to sit on, too funny.

2:20 - Husband and wife came and got in line for ps3 because their kid "really really" wanted one. Left to go to other TRUs after manager came out. They will factor into the story later.

3-8p.m. - Random shoppers ask what we are waiting for. Couldn't believe the store was getting so few PS3's and were sure they'd pick one up on launch day. "These will be all over the place, why would you wait?" Too classic. Woman looks us up and down like she feels sorry for us and finally asks if we are homeless. I asked her what homeless people she knows that eats Zebra Cakes.

9 p.m. - Store closes, manager lets us use the bathroom one more time and gives us a pizza. Great guy. Also calls the cops and tells them we will be outside and that it's okay. He has seen us 20x by know and knows our names/faces, so there won't be any problems the next morning.

11:30 - Guy comes and says he will give us 50 each to preorder a Wii for him the next morning. TRU here would only let us do 1 or the other, so we say we can't. He says thanks anyway and says not to sell our spots in line until he comes back.

12:30 a.m. - Husband/wife team from the afternoon stop again and offer $250 for a spot in line. First spot guy considers, but turns them down. He and his cousin (#2 spot guy) both want to keep the system.

2:00 a.m. - Trying to sleep, but are woken up by 5 college guys who want ps3s. They are being loud and obnoxious, and one got at least 8 cell phone calls with "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" as the ringtone. These incidents cause us not to tell them the ps3's are accounted for.

2-5 a.m. - Wii guy comes back, wakes us up, and says he will give us "whatever we want" for our spots in line. We are tired and don't really want to respond, so we curl back under our sleeping bags. Also, daylight savings time screwed us over. We were asleep and don't notice when this happens.

6 a.m. - Manager comes, will hand our vouchers at 8:30 to avoid mad rush.

8:30 - Get the vouchers, a fairly steady stream of people are turned away looking for ps3s.

8:45 - Since we're there, we ask the manager if we can get Elmo too. He says yes so we grab 2 vouchers.

9:00 - Separate register was open for the 4 of us with ps3, so we are in and out quickly.

9:30 - Come back home and read all of the posts all the boards. Thank parents for not moving to California, Atlanta, or New York.

Supermallet
10-29-06, 03:18 PM
8:45 - Since we're there, we ask the manager if we can get Elmo too. He says yes so we grab 2 vouchers.

:lol:

edstein
10-29-06, 06:31 PM
I would have taken the $250 and called it a night.

aliciaelena
10-29-06, 06:40 PM
dvd182,
Thanks for your post, I was really interested in finding out what it was like to camp out, interesting read

BBEANLPHIE
10-29-06, 08:16 PM
What do you guys think about having my friend wait in line for 12 hours until I get off work then I take his spot and he leaves at midnight. Have you seen people switch off places. Would this be considered messed up since no one is really cutting?

bballing
10-29-06, 08:36 PM
Why did nobody tell me Toys R US was preordering these things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bballing
10-29-06, 08:40 PM
What do you guys think about having my friend wait in line for 12 hours until I get off work then I take his spot and he leaves at midnight. Have you seen people switch off places. Would this be considered messed up since no one is really cutting?

I wouldnt care, honestly. Someone might, but what can they do?

If you are really worried, you could both wear the same outfit, then after you get there, chill and talk a while before he leaves.

As W would say, trickery.

BBEANLPHIE
10-29-06, 08:42 PM
Not really trickery its just that I have work till midnight that 1 day and since technically I am not cutting anyone just having a friend hold my spot for 12 hours till I get off would that be wrong. Any campers here seen this done often?

Liver&Onions
10-29-06, 09:02 PM
Why did nobody tell me Toys R US was preordering these things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there was a whole thread about it - started well over a week ago. :)

eatntae
10-29-06, 10:00 PM
Not really trickery its just that I have work till midnight that 1 day and since technically I am not cutting anyone just having a friend hold my spot for 12 hours till I get off would that be wrong. Any campers here seen this done often?
When I camped for my 360, the Target manager told us (everyone in line) that line switching (your idea) was okay, but no cutting (obviously) and no saving multiple spots, meaning one person in line could not save the spots of his friends. Other places might/will have their own policies.

bballing
10-29-06, 10:47 PM
When I camped for my 360, the Target manager told us (everyone in line) that line switching (your idea) was okay, but no cutting (obviously) and no saving multiple spots, meaning one person in line could not save the spots of his friends. Other places might/will have their own policies.

How many people camping, and how many got 360's?

eatntae
10-30-06, 02:42 AM
How many people camping, and how many got 360's?
That particular Target got 40 360s: 20 premium and 20 core. Of course, we didn't know how many until the following morning. I got in line about 9pm the previous night and was #20. The 40th person probably showed up an hour or two after I did. People kept coming though, and by the time the store opened, there was at least 80 people in line. I can only imagine that the PS3 launch will be much worse, with people camping out just for preorders.

collven
10-30-06, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't foresee a problem with switching. Cutting is what everyone hates. I had my sister hold a spot for a friend of mine at the PS2 launch.

silentbob007
10-30-06, 08:10 AM
Yeah ... I doubt switching would be a problem. Now having a friend hold a spot, then both of you taking a place in the line ... that would be different. :)

PixyJunket
10-30-06, 08:15 AM
I went to pick up lunch Saturday afternoon (between noon and one) and stopped at the Toys R Us which was next door to where I was heading to check out the B2G1 sale and there were already about seven people camping out.. crazy.

ChrisHicks
10-30-06, 08:48 AM
I have completely given up hope of getting a PS3 for the next 4-5 months. considering almost every person on the planet and their grandmothers only want this for profit has just killed it for me. I will not risk my health by standing/sitting in a line for 24hrs just to get one. nor will I pay some greedy person 2000.00+ on ebay for one. so, if when March or April 2007 rolls around I may try to look again.

**the above statement will hold true unless I walk into some random store and am able to walk out with a PS3 at retail cost from Nov. 17th the the stated date above**

Flay
10-30-06, 09:04 AM
LMAO! PS3 Ebay sale gives seller a $150 shaft:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-System-Console-60GB-Pre-Sale_W0QQitemZ290042871016QQihZ019QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$903.97 Canadian = $805

ChrisHicks
10-30-06, 09:06 AM
LMAO! PS3 Ebay sale gives seller a $150 shaft:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-System-Console-60GB-Pre-Sale_W0QQitemZ290042871016QQihZ019QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$903.97 Canadian = $805

Not a Registered User

I guess that buyer isn't getting his PS3.

Flay
10-30-06, 09:13 AM
Not a Registered User

I guess that buyer isn't getting his PS3.

Agreed. Still funny though.

Those Canadian Taxes are insane, btw.

ChrisHicks
10-30-06, 09:19 AM
they definately are. an extra 100.00 in taxes. WOW!!

there was a link over at CAG I believe where a PS3 sold for 610.00. I should try to find it again and see if that seller dumped his account too.

ChrisHicks
10-30-06, 09:35 AM
found it. it was for the 20gig version though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStation-3-20-GIG-HD-PreOrder_W0QQitemZ260036731190QQihZ016QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

think the buyer will get it? will there even be a profit after fees?

Michael Corvin
10-30-06, 10:03 AM
:lol: That doesn't even cover tax on the system. People that start these below cost are idiots. The winning bidder only has 1 feedback rating at a 66%. I don't think he ever intended to buy it anyway.

I have one I will sell, but my opening bid will be EXACTLY what the total rings up on launch day. Not a penny more, not a penny less.

If it only gets one bid, I am only out my time.

dvdman47
10-30-06, 12:00 PM
:lol: That doesn't even cover tax on the system. People that start these below cost are idiots. The winning bidder only has 1 feedback rating at a 66%. I don't think he ever intended to buy it anyway.

I have one I will sell, but my opening bid will be EXACTLY what the total rings up on launch day. Not a penny more, not a penny less.

If it only gets one bid, I am only out my time.

You're actually also out eBay and PayPal fees....those fees can be ruthless especially since the auction will be ending for a "high end" price.

Schloob1
10-30-06, 12:01 PM
found it. it was for the 20gig version though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStation-3-20-GIG-HD-PreOrder_W0QQitemZ260036731190QQihZ016QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

think the buyer will get it? will there even be a profit after fees?

Would it technically be even a valid sale since it was done over a month before release anyway? It does not abide by the rules so the seller would actually just be able to pull out of the deal.

Michael Corvin
10-30-06, 12:44 PM
You're actually also out eBay and PayPal fees....those fees can be ruthless especially since the auction will be ending for a "high end" price.

Good looking out. :up:

Absolute Zero
10-30-06, 01:58 PM
Are these just flukes? People are clearly bidding on PS3 preorders.

fumanstan
10-30-06, 02:59 PM
PS3 pushing SCE $1.71 billion into red

Today, one of Microsoft's rivals in the game arena announced that it too would take a loss on its own game division. Speaking at a press conference in Tokyo, Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer announced that losses at Sony Computer Entertainment are expected to now total 200 billion yen--or around $1.71 billion--for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2007. The figure is nearly twice the shortfall Sony originally projected.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160667.html?tag=latestnews;title;4

Yikes.

pinata242
10-30-06, 03:14 PM
Another big Yikes.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/30/japan-to-get-fewer-ps3-launch-units-due-to-part-problems/
Looks like Sony can't get a PS3 shortage break. The Nikkei Keizai Shimbun paper reports today that due to component shortages, Sony will only have 80,000 PS3 units ready for Japanese launch instead of the originally planned 100,000 units. That's a 20% cut. First the European launch gets delayed because of production issues, now the Japanese launch availability is crippled even more than it previously was.

No word yet if the shortage will effect North American units but, if proportional, they could be cut to 320,000 available systems. Keep in mind that's six thousand less than the Xbox 360 sold in its first nine days, and a far cry less than the 900,000 360 units they managed to move in North America by the end of '05.

IGN also reminds us that the PS2 sold out of almost a million units when launched back in March of 2000. Expect Star Wars like lines a week before the November 11 Japanese launch. Not the day before or day of, the week before. May the force be with you, Japanese padawans.

RockStrongo
10-30-06, 03:15 PM
PS3 pushing SCE $1.71 billion into red

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160667.html?tag=latestnews;title;4

Yikes.

Ouch

Save Ferris
10-30-06, 03:21 PM
If Sony is smart, they'll pawn some of these PS3 units on Ebay and make up the 200bn difference.

pinata242
10-30-06, 03:23 PM
If Sony is smart, they'll pawn some of these PS3 units on Ebay and make up the 200bn difference.
:lol: They may actually break even on a few of them to boot!

UncleGramps
10-30-06, 03:27 PM
So, a few weeks ago I entered a Sony-sponsored contest, and I found out over the weekend that I won. I'll be attending an NYC event this Thursday, and supposedly I'll be getting some hands-on time with the PS3. I'm not planning on buying a PS3 until some major price drops, but I'm looking forward to trying out some of the games. Knowing Sony, I won't be allowed to take any pictures, but I'll post my impressions after the event.

ChrisHicks
10-30-06, 03:32 PM
now how pissed would all you ebayers be if Sony actually cut launch units by say 100,000 only to list them on ebay themselves? :lol:

aliciaelena
10-30-06, 08:24 PM
So, a few weeks ago I entered a Sony-sponsored contest, and I found out over the weekend that I won. I'll be attending an NYC event this Thursday, and supposedly I'll be getting some hands-on time with the PS3. I'm not planning on buying a PS3 until some major price drops, but I'm looking forward to trying out some of the games. Knowing Sony, I won't be allowed to take any pictures, but I'll post my impressions after the event.

That's fantastic! You're so lucky! PLease do tell us your impressions

nodeerforamonth
10-31-06, 09:51 AM
I find it hard to believe that the PS3 launch can be worse than the xbox360 launch. Then again, stranger things have happened!

Sdallnct
10-31-06, 09:52 AM
I'm going to apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. When the PS3 was first announced my wife felt we did not need. Now of course with pre-orders starting she tells me "we have nothing else for the kids for Christmas" so now I'm scrambling to learn what I can and hope the excellence that is DVDTalk can help me out.

I have done some research, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what all to look for on such short notice.

We currently have a PS2 and it is my understanding PS2 games will work on the PS3 - right?

We currently have no TV with HDMI, but this will be hooked up in our theater room with my X1 and it is my understanding that the PS3 will "fully function" (games and movies in HD) thru component, right? (I do plan on upgrading my PJ in the next 3-6 months).

What other issues should I consider? The base model is only $100 more then the 360 and with us having so many PS2 titles already, it seems a no brainer to go with the Sony not even considering Blue-Ray DVD's in the discussion. What factors should I consider for getting the nicer model? Wi-Fi is interesting (my Tivo updates thru our home network), but I'm not sure what the benefit would be, on line gaming I suppose? Will the memory card slots be used for saving games? I would think the HD would do that.

I know this is basic, but any help would be appreciated. Also what will be the must have accessories??? I realize is Blue Ray looses the "battle" then no more DVD's, but it will still be a game machine and again, at this point only a $100 more then the 360.

pinata242
10-31-06, 09:54 AM
I honestly think that getting one "for the kids for Christmas" and paying retail prices no longer are compatible.

Unless you've already got a pre-order, you're looking at eBay as your only option. Camping out may still happen, but you'd have to get damn lucky and be very patient.

kgrogers1979
10-31-06, 10:14 AM
I honestly think that getting one "for the kids for Christmas" and paying retail prices no longer are compatible.

I agree. The preorders sold out completely within minutes. There are only two ways you are going to get a PS3 for Christmas:

1) Camp out at a store that doesn't do preorders (such as Walmart) for at least 12 hours.

2) Buy a PS3 off ebay for $2000.

Otherwise, there is no way in hell you are getting a PS3 for Christmas if you weren't lucky enough to get a preorder.

Michael Corvin
10-31-06, 11:40 AM
I'm going to apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. When the PS3 was first announced my wife felt we did not need. Now of course with pre-orders starting she tells me "we have nothing else for the kids for Christmas" so now I'm scrambling to learn what I can and hope the excellence that is DVDTalk can help me out.

No offense, but Christmas is two months away and you can't come up with anything but a $700($600+ 1 game + tax) high end electronics item? Lucky kids.

Save Ferris
10-31-06, 11:45 AM
Are the kids even asking for a PS3? Its only got a few exclusive games :(

Sdallnct
10-31-06, 11:46 AM
No offense, but Christmas is two months away and you can't come up with anything but a $700($600+ 1 game + tax) high end electronics item? Lucky kids.

Well of course if we can't get a PS3 we will get something for them. I didn't mean that they were so spoiled they had everything else. In fact, other then the odd DVD here and there they have really not asked for anything for either their b-day (in Nov.) or x-mas as they have been so focused on school. Typically we get the kids one big item and let friends/family, etc get the accessories. But we can come up with other options.

Well since I originally thought we were not going to get a PS3, I guess I have missed all the "hype" and didn't realize they would be in such short supply. Guess I'll keep my eyes open and see what happens.

Sdallnct
10-31-06, 11:51 AM
Are the kids even asking for a PS3? Its only got a few exclusive games :(

That is a great question. The answer is "sort of". I mean they don't play PS2 a ton. Meaning they do play but are not addicted to it or anything. My son has played on his frieds 360 and enjoyed it, especially the basketball. He/they would be happy with a 360, but it seems nice to still play their PS2 games without having two gaming machines. Tho I guess that is an option. There is no doubt they would like to have one, but I don't think we got the PS2 till about 18 months after it was introduced. They are not techno geeks that want the newest now or anything. But they don't ask for a lot of anything, in general.

DRG
10-31-06, 12:10 PM
2) Buy a PS3 off ebay for $2000.

Or wait two weeks after the initial launch/frenzy/glut and buy one of the 100,000 remaining PS3s that people couldn't sell at the $2000 price point and had to lower to $1000 or less. ;)

silentbob007
10-31-06, 02:03 PM
Well since I originally thought we were not going to get a PS3, I guess I have missed all the "hype" and didn't realize they would be in such short supply. Guess I'll keep my eyes open and see what happens.

I think it's the "scalp" that's going to make these things harder to find than the "hype". Not that there isn't any hype, of course ... :)

Fandango
10-31-06, 02:26 PM
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/best-buy-midnight-launch-info-18-stores-open-for-ps3-none-for-wii-211217.phphttp://www.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/10/bbmidnight.jpg

Michael Corvin
10-31-06, 02:33 PM
Not surprised about that, as it was the case with the 360.

Sonny Corinthos
10-31-06, 07:21 PM
I found this on another board. Take it for what it's worth. The upc code for the ps3 at wal-mart is 7 1171980000 2. If that really is the upc number and you know some who works at wally world, have them punch the number in to see how many their store is getting.

Also, this is the upc number for the wii at wal-mart. (Maybe) 0 4549688001 9.

Again, I don't know if if these number are correct but it never hurts to try.

her34
10-31-06, 09:31 PM
i was looking at pictures of ps3 and wondering where the hdd is. the hdd is user replaceable right?

Fandango
10-31-06, 10:39 PM
Sony has stated that the HD is user replacable and that any 2.5" SATA drive will work. If you see in the picture below the space in the middle is where the HD is.

http://microsites.ign.com/ps3/images/hardware1/handson1.jpg

her34
10-31-06, 10:55 PM
Sony has stated that the HD is user replacable and that any 2.5" SATA drive will work. If you see in the picture below the space in the middle is where the HD is.

http://microsites.ign.com/ps3/images/hardware1/handson1.jpg

the space on the side (which would be the bottom if it's verticle)?

i didn't know that any retail hdd would work. when was that announced?

that's a big selling point compared to xbox360 custom hdd

Fandango
10-31-06, 11:15 PM
This is what I read: The 60GB PS3 will be more useful than the 20GB version if you wish to take advantage of the system's media functionality, but Sony has stated that upgrading the hard disk will be as simple as dropping a larger capacity 2.5" SATA notebook hard drive into the system.

Supermallet
11-01-06, 01:11 AM
But does the hard drive have the OS stored on it? If so, it's not as simple as just replacing in a new one.

Fandango
11-01-06, 01:42 AM
I read that the OS is in the firmware. It's obvious it doesn't need to be on the HD because the core 360 does not come with an HD.

RichC2
11-01-06, 08:29 AM
Some early japanese reviews:

Ridge Racer 7 (PS3, Namco Bandai): 9, 9, 9, 9 - (36/40)
- Reviewers are very content with the game, especially with the extensive content. Graphics and sounds are overwhelming
Genji: Kamui Souran (PS3, Sony): 7, 7, 7, 8 - (29/40)
- Good control, extensive content and accessiblity for beginners, but there are some camera problems
Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3, Sony): 9, 8, 8, 8 - (33/40)
- The play mechanics are typical first person shooters, but the online duals are excellent, and have high qualitative value
Sega Golf Club: Miyasato Miyoshi Kyoudai Naizou (PS3, Sega): 7, 7, 7, 7 - (28/40)
- It doesn't look like a next-gen game, the game sped is right, yet different to see when striking the ball
Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (PS3, Namco Bandai): 8, 8, 8, 8 - (32/40)
- The character models are outstanding, it is fun that you can destroy everything in the stage

taken from Magicbox. And granted I'll be able to use the 360 pad for FPS games, I'd no longer have my anti-FPS stance on the PS products (absolutely hate it on the Dual Shock.)

PixyJunket
11-01-06, 08:32 AM
Hmm.. I wonder how their RR7 review compared to RR6 (or PGR3).

RichC2
11-01-06, 08:37 AM
I'm not positive those scores are from Famitsu, but here are two comparative scores from last year's Xbox360 Launch:

Ridge Racer 6 (34/40) (8/9/8/9)
Perfect Dark Zero (32/40) (8/8/8/8)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (33/40) (9/8/8/8)

Hopefully Resistance isn't anywhere near as Generic as PDZ, but nothing I've seen has lead me to believe otherwise.

gmal2003
11-01-06, 08:56 AM
Any info on more preorders coming in. What about the chances of waiting in line. What stores or strategies should I use. I have a little extra money and I want to buy one.

RichC2
11-01-06, 09:00 AM
Your best bet would be to show up at a Best Buy around 6 AM on November 16th, earlier if the line starts before then. Or if there's a Walmart having an official launch-type deal, show up at around the same time, at least its indoors and you'll have it at midnight.

For the 360 Launch there were about 15 people in line by Lunch the day prior. By 5 PM there were about 30, double that by close (9:00) apparently nobody that showed up after 5:00 got one though. The line was about 30 thick at Walmart around 10:00 pm, so the odds were a little better there, and it all went down before Midnight in a mostly orderly fashion (distributed at the Layover counter.) Considering the expectations of 1) the system, 2) ebay resellability and 3) extreme shortage conditions, this launch should be even more chaotic.

gmal2003
11-01-06, 09:17 AM
Looks like I should have preordered :).

Flay
11-01-06, 08:25 PM
http://www.ps3land.com/article-934.php

18 Bestbuys nationwide to open doors at midnight for PS3
by Dusty Stokes

It is not uncommon to see lines forming outside various stores on the night before a new console launches. Midnight releases are becoming more and more common, and more and more stores are beginning to participate in these launch parties.

Best Buy is usually the place in town with the longest line, and has had past midnight releases. However, this year, only 18 of their stores nationwide will open their doors at 12AM for the PS3. How many will open early for the Wii? Zero. Tough luck Wii fans.

Here is a list of the stores that will be opening early:

# Park Lane, TX
# West LA, CA
# Chesterfield, MO
# El Cajon
# Superstition Springs, AZ
# Chapel Hill, OH
# Richfield, MN
# Galleria, TX
# Butterfield RD, IL
# Wester Hollywood, CA
# Ann Arbor, MI
# Gwinnet, GA
# Hialeah, FL
# South Tampa, FL
# Mt Laurel, NJ
# Manhattan NoHo, NY
# Landmark, MA
# Manhattan Midtown, NY

So for those of you who are camping it out, be sure to check this list out and plan accordingly. Best of luck campers!

msdmoney
11-01-06, 09:48 PM
The West LA store is the Best Buy I always go to, I may have to drive by on my way home just to see the line.

Draven
11-01-06, 10:24 PM
Woo hoo! The Richfield Best Buy FTW.

They had one of the largest alotments in the country of 360s at launch (this store is nearly in the shadow of the corporate headquarters), but I wasn't able to wait in line. This year I've got both Friday and Monday off, so I might be able to give it a shot.

Absolute Zero
11-01-06, 11:25 PM
I'm surprised to see Ann Arbor and not at the same time. There are more high traffic stores in the Detroit suburbs, but Ann Arbor is a college town. I'm not overly familiar with most of these cities. Are any of them college towns?

ChrisHicks
11-01-06, 11:42 PM
I'm heading out in a few hours to get in line baby. I'm going to score myself a PS3!!! screw all those people who think getting in line on the 16th will be early enough.

;)

collven
11-02-06, 02:58 AM
Woo hoo! The Richfield Best Buy FTW.

They had one of the largest alotments in the country of 360s at launch (this store is nearly in the shadow of the corporate headquarters), but I wasn't able to wait in line. This year I've got both Friday and Monday off, so I might be able to give it a shot.

I don't know what good having Friday off will do you since you will need to be in line early Thursday to get one at one of the midnight launch stores.

Daryl
11-02-06, 07:23 AM
I'm surprised to see Ann Arbor and not at the same time. There are more high traffic stores in the Detroit suburbs, but Ann Arbor is a college town. I'm not overly familiar with most of these cities. Are any of them college towns?

The A^2 store might not get the most traffic the Detroit area, but they do a ton of gaming sales, someone once told me, which was one of the things mentioned in the leaked internal memo about these 18 stores

PixyJunket
11-02-06, 07:27 AM
I'm heading out in a few hours to get in line baby. I'm going to score myself a PS3!!! screw all those people who think getting in line on the 16th will be early enough.You could just freeze yourself for a couple of weeks. ;)

Draven
11-02-06, 09:01 AM
I don't know what good having Friday off will do you since you will need to be in line early Thursday to get one at one of the midnight launch stores.

Eh, we'll see. You can't spit without hitting a Best Buy up here. If I had gone to the one down the street right after work when the 360 launched I would have gotten one at midnight.

Michael Corvin
11-02-06, 10:30 AM
You could just freeze yourself for a couple of weeks. ;)

Based on where he lives, there is a good chance that will happen anyway.

ChrisHicks
11-02-06, 10:36 AM
You could just freeze yourself for a couple of weeks. ;)

but I can't fit in my freezer. ;)

if I froze myself outside in line some other guy would just scoot me aside and take my place.

it's just a lose-lose situatuon here. :(

:lol:

MACD23
11-02-06, 03:11 PM
here is a dumb question that may or may not have been covered, is Best Buy or any other retailer planning on doing a demo setup of the PS3 before the launch? I haven't seen a word about it anywhere, and the launch is in 2 weeks!

Also, is the only HD video out the HDMI? What do I do if my display is "older" and only has DVI and component inputs for HD? Do I have to buy a converter?

Fandango
11-02-06, 03:37 PM
You can use the AV Multi out which works with the Component cables from the PS2.