Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Need help finding Robotech-Protoculture Collection

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help finding Robotech-Protoculture Collection

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if I can do this, or if this is even the right place to post this, but I am looking for the Robotech - Protoculture Collection (21 disc set) for my boyfriend for his birthday the end of August. I want to get the best price - and lemme tell ya the pricing out there varies drastically. I have ebay with an average price of $65.14, Amazon all the way up to $116.99, superdupermall.com at $72.99, superduperclub at $73.99, DVDPacific at $73.36, Warehouse music at $81.45, DVDEmpire at $100.08, etc. Am I missing any other obvious places to find DVD's for a cheap/good price? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-24-06, 03:06 PM
Cool New Member

I have wanted this set myself, but the prices you are posting may be the best you will find it at. But, on ebay right now, one seller is selling the set for $43 buy it now. Of course you have to be very careful about what you are getting on ebay as there are a lot of anime bootlegs, but the listing clearly says it is a 21 disc set, region 1 encoded, and they state that they do not sell bootleg or used dvds. You couldn't find it at a better price than this more than likely. I would email this seller and ask questions to make sure it is legit, and if you feel safe about getting it you would be getting a great bargain. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Robotech-Protocu...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-24-06, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by jah2004
I have wanted this set myself, but the prices you are posting may be the best you will find it at. But, on ebay right now, one seller is selling the set for $43 buy it now. Of course you have to be very careful about what you are getting on ebay as there are a lot of anime bootlegs, but the listing clearly says it is a 21 disc set, region 1 encoded, and they state that they do not sell bootleg or used dvds. You couldn't find it at a better price than this more than likely. I would email this seller and ask questions to make sure it is legit, and if you feel safe about getting it you would be getting a great bargain. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Robotech-Protocu...QQcmdZViewItem
Whoa! Check out those shipping prices. The seller wants $44.50 for shipping. Somehow each additional disc beyond the first costs $2.00 for them to ship. Right.

To answer the original poster, I've never seen it cheaper than $75 or so online, but make sure you check shipping prices (like the gouger above) and like jah2004 said the legitimacy of the seller if you go with ebay or half.com or Amazon's marketplace. There's also rightstuf.com, which is a great site for anime needs, but unless they have an ADV sale (which should happen soon), the price isn't coming down by much.
Old 07-24-06, 05:59 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of those sites charge more than $10 for shipping alone. Factor it in when you make your decision.

Rightstuf would be a good choice should they run a ADV promotion soon enough (generally 30-40% off). Their economy shipping (ie. media mail) for this item would be free. They pack boxset very carefully so you have a very low risk of getting a damaged product en route.
Old 07-24-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. I have never heard of rightstuf.com. I will check them out, and watch their sales. Sounds good. Thanks for all the help. I think I'll stay clear of ebay. I haven't had good luck on there anyway.
Old 07-24-06, 09:56 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah sorry about that. I glanced over it and didn't even realize the shipping costs. That would be a big hell no. But good luck in finding a deal on it.
Old 07-25-06, 07:19 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch in the Bargins forum. There is a daily anime deal thread. Keep an eye in there for a rightstuf sale, or other anime sales. Sometimes sales are posted at places like Best Buy and other stores.