Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

It is time to crown a new king of low prices

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, its time to give DDD a reality check. They claim to have the lowest prices. Not hardly. How about the real king of lowest price, OVERSTOCK.COM. Yes, I just checked 3 random presale items and the Big O was cheaper on all 3. They where

Hogans Heroes season 4
$26.91 - overstock
$29.04 - deep discount

Simpsons season 8
$32.41 - overstock
$36.59 - deep discount

Good Times Season 6
$21.31 - overstock
$24.45 - deep discount

I have noticed this a while back. I seem to never be able to find new titles cheaper at DDD.

DDD always makes the free shipping claim. Well in most cases, even when you add the shipping overstock is cheaper. Couple that with the fact that you seem to ALWAYS get a 10% coupon with overstock and never get with the exception of the 20% sale (which I was burned on this year), a coupon from ddd. Yes DDD has some good sales, but in my opinion they are not the lowest price as they claim.

Just my take, check and see for yourself.
Old 07-21-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The outpricing of DDD by other etailers is not a new phenomenon, nor is it simply limited to Overstock. Go to DVD Price Search on any random title, and chances are you will find one or more other etailers that beat DDD's price - even factoring shipping costs, which several other etailers besides DDD waive if you put in a large enough purchase.

The truth is that DDD used to be the best at guaranteeing the lowest price on any given item, but once they established a loyal customer base, I think they stopped caring about making good on that guarantee.

That having been said, I think for getting multiple titles from a single site in one order at the lowest prices, DDD is usually the best way to go, since the best prices for the individual items I might want are usually spread across several different sites (ie - Amazon might have the best price for one title I want and the worst price for another, while DVD Empire is the reverse). Hence, I usually end up making more multi titles orders from DDD than anywhere else.

Apart from the 20% and some other sales that DDD runs, though, they are less and less often the lowest priced seller for any individual title anymore.
Old 07-21-06, 06:15 PM

That having been said, I think for getting multiple titles from a single site in one order at the lowest prices, DDD is usually the best way to go,
Sex Fiend, on that we will have to agree to disagree. I have found that overstock is beating most non-sale items at ddd. Plus when you count that you can always find a 10% coupon, overstock seems cheaper for me.
Old 07-21-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Aren't most of the OS coupons for 'new customers only'?

For me, I'm the opposite--I tend to order more single titles from DDD, since their free shipping is for any price order. Whereas if I order from Amazon, I only order if I can get free shipping, or from Overstock, if their total price is cheaper.

DDD is no longer the cheapest on everything, if they ever were. But I don't know if there is a clear 'king of low prices'. Depends on what you're looking for. I hit dvdpricesearch, then google for coupon codes for some of the cheaper places, and order wherever it's cheapest--sometimes DDD, sometimes OS, sometimes Amazon.

But those three items above are definitely noticeably cheaper at OS, even including shipping. How about catalog/current titles, rather than preorders?
Old 07-21-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BKenn01

Hogans Heroes season 4
$26.91 - overstock
$29.04 - deep discount

Simpsons season 8
$32.41 - overstock
$36.59 - deep discount

Good Times Season 6
$21.31 - overstock
$24.45 - deep discount.
you also have to include 1.40 for shipping with overstock unless there's a time when there's a free shipping coupon .. 10% off coupons do not always work but usually do .. so yes they beat DDD, but DDD usually will lower it's prices the week the item comes out, instead of a lower price beforehand..they don't always lower week of release date, but usually..
Old 07-21-06, 09:12 PM

you also have to include 1.40 for shipping with overstock unless there's a time when there's a free shipping coupon .. 10% off coupons do not always work but usually do .. so yes they beat DDD, but DDD usually will lower it's prices the week the item comes out, instead of a lower price beforehand..they don't always lower week of release date, but usually..
but overstock maxes out on shipping. and I have yet to have a problem getting the 10% to work. All I am trying to do is to help other members who may come to the forum that it pays to really shop around. DDD sometimes gets a god like status on here, mainly due to the great 20% off sale.

I guess I will check these titles once they officially come out. And in the spirit of full disclosure, I did have a bad experience with DDD during the most recent 20% off sale. So I am a little bitter.

But that still doesnt change the prices I have found so far.
Old 07-21-06, 09:21 PM

But those three items above are definitely noticeably cheaper at OS, even including shipping. How about catalog/current titles, rather than preorders?
pirates of the carribean

10.96 - overstock

13.92 - ddd

lost season 1

43.91 - overstock

44.85 - ddd

pink floyd

14.91 - overstock

15.85 - ddd

ok, to be fair I just went to ddd most popular searches and picked from there rather than overstocks best sellers (more or less they are similar anyway)

With some when you add shipping, ddd wins. But you have to realize overstock has a max ship charge and almost always has a 10% off coupon.
Old 07-21-06, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, at least DDD knows where Puerto Rico is and know that we play Region 1 DVDs like the rest of North America. Overstock seems to be living in the caveman era and they treat us like international customers, where they don't even know what currency we use and they keep telling me that we are not Region 1 DVD users and that they can't sell me R1 releases because of that restriction.
Old 07-22-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind two thinsg:

1) DDD actually uses boxes when they ship DVDs, not homemade cosntruction paper that give no protection whatsoever.

2) If you preorder through Overstock, they charge your card immediately.

I'll use Overstock when they have some absurdly low price, but otherwise I go with DDD, Amazon, or DVD Empire, whichever is cheapest.
Old 07-22-06, 11:23 AM

Keep in mind two thinsg:

1) DDD actually uses boxes when they ship DVDs, not homemade cosntruction paper that give no protection whatsoever.

2) If you preorder through Overstock, they charge your card immediately.

I'll use Overstock when they have some absurdly low price, but otherwise I go with DDD, Amazon, or DVD Empire, whichever is cheapest.
Actually I have never had a problem with damages at overstock. I have been burned several times by the rogue box cutter at ddd. I have bought a lot from both. And I will continue to buy from whoever is cheapest. And if you are a member, you should not overlook Barnes and Noble for preorders. For most of the big ones they are 30% off plus the 10% member discount nets you about 37% off list (this is box sets)

If you buy a lot of dvd, you will have some type of problem with either rogue box cutters, wrong orders or whatever from whoever you buy from.

My latest problem with ddd that I mentioned in an earlier post was with the 20% sale. I placed a second order. I did not know that the coupon was only good once. Which was my fault yes, but the discount did show in the shopping cart and they did not take the discout away until after the purchase. I would not have made the purchase had it not shown in the shopping cart. That was wrong.

I will continue to buy from DDD when they are cheaper, but they are not the lowest priced on the net that they claim to be.
Old 07-22-06, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
stopped ordering from overstock after they did that, buy.com started using that too, found out the hard way when the cardboard box to my Batman DVDs arrived crushed, just sticking with Amazon & DDD from now on
Old 07-22-06, 09:03 PM

stopped ordering from overstock after they did that, buy.com started using that too,
Maybe its because I usually only buy box sets, but all of mine with the exception of Farenhype 911 have came in boxes from overstock.
Old 07-22-06, 10:24 PM
Suspended

No way in hell would I ever in my right mind order from overstock.com

They're fine if you don't have any problems with your order, but should you have any problem you are in for one hell of a ride. My ordeal (long & I don't want to go into detail) lasted 3 months. I finally had to contact the BBB with all documentation (thank God I saved every single correspondence & proof of payment, dates, etc... ) & only 3 days after contacting the BBB did my problem get resolved.

Their customer service is really very very poor, so I would seriously advise people to stay away from them if they can help it.
Old 07-23-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Every coupon that I have seen from Overstock in the past year seems to carry the stipulation that you must order at least 1 "non-media" item. It makes the possibility of ordering not worth the hassle for me.
Old 07-23-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Using the "priced lowest at ..." feature at dvdpricesearch.com, they show that the lowest price for 8024 titles is at Deep Discount, while Overstock has the lowest price on 4182 titles.

There's nobody who realistically expects one single place to have the lowest price on all titles, but your chances of getting the lowest price appear to be about 2:1 when comparing Deep Discount to Overstock.
Old 07-23-06, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
Using the "priced lowest at ..." feature at dvdpricesearch.com, they show that the lowest price for 8024 titles is at Deep Discount, while Overstock has the lowest price on 4182 titles.

There's nobody who realistically expects one single place to have the lowest price on all titles, but your chances of getting the lowest price appear to be about 2:1 when comparing Deep Discount to Overstock.
additionally, if a lower total price is found at another retailer, DDD will lower their prices if they are emailed or called. I have done this a few times in the past with no hassle. It's unrealistic to think that someone at DDD is going to troll every retailer out there daily or weekly and adjust their prices to be the lowest.
Old 07-23-06, 05:44 PM

Overstock seems to always have a 10% coupon that works. And I always compare for every title I buy. Guess it is the titles I buy.

It's unrealistic to think that someone at DDD is going to troll every retailer out there daily or weekly and adjust their prices to be the lowest.
I agree, all I am trying to do is generate some discussion to keep DDD honest. It just seems to me that over the past year they have inched the prices up.
Old 07-23-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does Overstock still charge your CC when an order is made, not when shipped? I once pre-ordered a box set from Overstock a month from the release date and was charged when the order was made (I knew they did this so that was okay) So the release date is comming up and I see here (dvdtalk) that people who ordered like a week before the release date are receiving them the Saturday before the release date. I received a shipping notice about 10 days after the release date and received it 2 weeks after the release date. That was enough for me to not use them to much anymore, except for price mistakes.
Old 07-23-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Overstock.com has absolutely horrible customer service, so you better hope your DVDs arrive in pristine condition every time. DDDVD may not be up to par with amazon.com's customer service, but they are good, and will take care of you if you have a problem with a bad DVD. With overstock.com, getting good customer service is like getting water from a rock.
Old 07-23-06, 08:49 PM

I have yet to have an issue with overstock, but apparanlty some people have. But I have had several issues with ddd. Slow shipping, rogue box cutters and unanswered questionsAmazon has been the best in customer service for me, with Barnes and Noble a close second. .
Old 07-24-06, 06:20 AM

Using the DVD Price Search function of lowest price titles at each store as Marty did then my favorite store, DVD Pacific comes out way ahead with 29071 titles.
Old 07-24-06, 04:00 PM

Using the DVD Price Search function of lowest price titles at each store as Marty did then my favorite store, DVD Pacific comes out way ahead with 29071 titles.
Wow, the only thing I have ever bought from them was the price mistake on magnum season 4. I rarely ever find a good deal there. And they have to have the worst site to search and shop that I have seen.
Old 07-24-06, 09:44 PM

I too first bought on the Magnum PI price mistake. The experience was quite good with the shipping, packing and all. Then I started looking at them more regularly and saw that some price are equal to or close enough to others, but mostly not less than DDD -- atleast on what the few I was looking at. So they may have overall a better price but unfortunately not for what I have currently wanted. But I am still going to keep checking them. Never know - they are now on my list, but were not before.