Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Eddie Van Halen

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eddie Van Halen

How the mighty have fallen. This is just gawd awful......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTqyo4hVSMQ
Old 07-21-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Tough to practice when you're on crack.
Old 07-21-06, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cripes, was it his divorce the point where he went back to the booze and the drugs? He seemed at least coherent before then.
Old 07-21-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Who put Ace Frehley in Eddie Van Halen makeup?
Old 07-21-06, 05:54 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
He's never done anything for me as a guitarist, but I never actually heard him play out of tune before.
Old 07-21-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the booze is what caused his divorce, so nothing new.
Old 07-22-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
What's the proof that's even Eddie? Holy cow, you would think even under the influence of a little booze Eddie Van Halen would be able to pick a few notes that would at least resemble something melodic. That was just sad and depressing.

Either way, considering the content of the video, I thought the caption was funny:

"Eddie lights up the west los angeles night with his one and only sound. This guy keeps pushing the envelope and will always be the one and only."

Do you think that was intended sarcasm?
Old 07-22-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never been a huge EVH fan, but have always acknowledged his contribution to modern rock guitar. Despite his uneven output lately, he truly has given us some amazing music. Not quite sure what to make of the clip. I can't tell if he's completely out of his gourd or just trying out some improvisational idea that didn't mesh with the band. Perhaps a bit of both.
Old 07-22-06, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jippy
I've never been a huge EVH fan, but have always acknowledged his contribution to modern rock guitar. Despite his uneven output lately, he truly has given us some amazing music. Not quite sure what to make of the clip. I can't tell if he's completely out of his gourd or just trying out some improvisational idea that didn't mesh with the band. Perhaps a bit of both.

Yes is legacy is firmly estabished and the free form improvisation in this clip is a given (but even for an off the cuff jam this sounded like shit).
That it sucked so mightly,even in the 29 Zapruderesque seconds,it is just a text book example of a once truly gifted player completely bottomed out, bereft of any fresh ideas. Bad notes, bad phrasing, bad tone, out of tune and sporting half a tongue.
I used to worship this guy when i first started playing.
Give me Lynch, Satch, Johnson, Gilbert, Garsed etc...any day over this pathetic wretch.

P.S. Love ya Ed, get well soon!

Last edited by JumpCutz; 07-23-06 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-22-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Well, he's not allowed to wear the KISS makeup anymore, so....
Old 07-23-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
29 Zadruderesque seconds
Huh? Is that like the MacRuder Film that they used to study like the Queen albums that David Lee Roth talked about on his short-lived radio show??
Old 07-23-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Are we absolutely sure that is EVH? No face is shown during the clip.
Old 07-23-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Huh? Is that like the MacRuder Film that they used to study like the Queen albums that David Lee Roth talked about on his short-lived radio show??
No just a misspelling on my part. I fixed it....even though it's stilll a bad joke. Kinda of like the Ed trainwreck.

I sure would like to hear more of that particular performance, I'm sure there would be a lot more 'clams', but at some point you would think he would have to get it together. He's been on a downhill slide guitar wise for years...but those 29 seconds were just ridiculously bad.
Old 07-24-06, 09:49 AM

What was that thing around :22? Whatever it was, it cracks me up

Last edited by zebop; 07-24-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-24-06, 12:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2006/jul06/20060721_eddievanhalen.html

Eddie Van Halen Debuts New Music

July 21 2006

Van Halen guitarist Eddie Van Halen debuted some new music at the House of Petals in Los Angeles this week.

Van Halen played Wednesday night (July 19th) jamming with Patrick Leonard (on keyboards). Leonard is best known for his songwriting and production work with Madonna.

Undercover is told that Eddie and Patrick performed what is best described as an ?impromptu jam of rock fusion?.

Eddie, a personal friend of own Joey House, agreed to make the rare appearance because he agrees the company philosophy of unity and beauty through flowers.

The invite-only audience included many celebrities, musicians, movie and TV stars.

House of Petals is a 920 La Cienega Blvd, West Hollywood.
Old 07-24-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
EVH was playing with someone who "is best known for his songwriting and production work with Madonna".

WTF is the world coming to?
Old 07-24-06, 10:21 PM

Please, that's not rock fusion, I'm a big fan and it really hasn't been done in close to 25 years. What Eddie and Patrick Leonard were doing called Sounding Completely Shitty.
Old 07-25-06, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zebop
Please, that's not rock fusion, I'm a big fan and it really hasn't been done in close to 25 years. What Eddie and Patrick Leonard were doing called Sounding Completely Shitty.
Sounding Completely Shitty

Though to be fair what about Tribal Tech, Garsed & Helmerich, or Frank Gambale? There are countless others that have been playing fusion over tthe last 25 years.... coming close, but nobody quite equaling Miles, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever or Weather Report (yeah, I know, the more obvious choices.....).
Old 07-25-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Reminds me of Spinal Tap's "Jazz Odyssey" when they opened for the puppet show at Six Flags.
Old 07-25-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Undercover is told that Eddie and Patrick performed what is best described as an ?impromptu jam of rock fusion?.
I know those are supposed to be quotation marks, but the question marks totally fit in this case.
Old 07-25-06, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Sounding Completely Shitty

Though to be fair what about Tribal Tech, Garsed & Helmerich, or Frank Gambale? There are countless others that have been playing fusion over tthe last 25 years.... coming close, but nobody quite equaling Miles, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever or Weather Report (yeah, I know, the more obvious choices.....).
LOL. I'm definately going to check those people out. All of the groups and acts are great. If that's what Eddie's going for, I don't think he can get there with Patrick Leonard
Old 07-25-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Hey man don't bash the Spaceman, he's busy wrecking another car while running away from a 5th ex-wife whom he just beat to get some pills and a bottle of Jack so he could get some H

I adore KISS but Peter and Ace are just fuckups... And yes Eddie sounded terrible
Old 07-26-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Speaking of EVH.. (the link goes to an adult site, Adult Video News, so if you're a prude, just read the reprint below and don't click on the link, mmmkay?)

Rocker Eddie Van Halen Collaborates with Michael Ninn in Sacred Sin

CHATSWORTH, Calif. - In a major crossover move, rock superstar Eddie Van Halen has joined forces with adult director Michael Ninn to write and perform two songs for the upcoming Ninn Worx feature, Sacred Sin.

Although several big-name rappers have contributed material to XXX movies, Van Halen is probably the first major rock star to lend his name to an adult project.

Van Halen told AVN.com he’s not bothered by possible criticism. “I’m working with a friend — very simple. I like his work,” he said. “Michael Ninn is like a Spielberg to me: the imagery, the way he makes things look, just… sensual.

“We hooked up, I ended up doing the music, and it’s some whompin-ass shit. I think it’s the best work he’s ever done, and me too. And more to come.”

“Eddie is from Amsterdam, born and raised, and his interpretation of sex and music are all in one, so it wasn’t a big step for him,” Ninn told AVN.com in an exclusive interview.

He and Van Halen, he said, have been friends for “a couple of lifetimes, it seems like. It started out as him ringing me up to work on some music together. One thing just led to another, and it ended up, I had this movie in mind. We would sit at the piano — he has two grand pianos in the house — and play and talk all night long.”

The project came to life as a result of “the things we talked about: life in general, imagery and the power of imagery. Sometimes as he’d play I’d walk around the estate and the story kind of came to me while I was there.”

The Van Halen songs in Sacred Sin are “Rise” and “Catherine,” a remix of the theme from Ninn’s 2005 movie of the same name.

“One of the things that Eddie really, really liked,” Ninn said, “was the theme from Catherine. He did a remix, it still carries the melody, but it’s got a Kashmir-Led Zeppelin kind of feel to it now. A very, very powerful piece of music.”

He said Van Halen was “absolutely elated with the track,” and the rocker himself confirmed, “If ‘Catherine’ doesn’t move you, you’re brain-dead.”

The second song, “Rise,” was a tune he had been working on already. “I heard it and just fell in love with it,” Ninn said. Van Halen also contributed some “transitional piano pieces that are sprinkled throughout the movie.” The rest of the music is the work of frequent Ninn collaborator Loren Alexander.

Ninn Worx will release Sacred Sin on September 13, distributed by Red Light District. The two-disc set will contain music videos for both Van Halen songs. “They’re pretty powerful,” Ninn said, calling his friend “an incredible performer who really comes to life when the cameras are on. He’s a showman.”

Ninn is also cutting a non-explicit version of the movie, to be called Rise, for the general market. Release date is unsure, he said, because it has yet to be submitted to the MPAA board for a rating.

The picture introduces new Ninn Worx contract girl Heather Vuur, in her first adult movie. “She’s an incredible actress on top of being stunningly beautiful,” Ninn said. “Anyone that can pull off my psychobabble and make it believable is one hell of an actress. Her energy for this picture was just amazing.”

The movie was completely shot on High Definition video and is frankly aimed at the couples market. Ninn called it “180 degrees from Catherine,” in which the sex scenes, because of the nature of stars Audrey Hollander and Otto Bauer, “were all over the top — carnival X.”

In Sacred Sin, he said, “I wanted the sex to be for couples, nothing too crazy, a picture that couples could get off on.”

He said the budget “might push $200,000. We’re around $150,000 right now and we’re not finished with post work. I’m not sure. I try to stay out of that and just get the best picture I can make.”

Van Halen, he said, has “seen a lot of the movie and has seen this is real. He seems to be relatively happy with what we’re trying to achieve.”

To find out more about Sacred Sin, visit www.ninnworx.com/sacredsin.
Old 07-26-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
...and the descent continues.
Old 07-27-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I guess now Eddie can be associated with Beat It in more ways than one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.