Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker Casting News: Heath Ledger being offered the role

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Over at Latinoreview.com they broke the news that apparently Heath Ledger had been made an offer last night to star at the Joker in the Batman Begins sequel. I actually think this is pretty good casting. Been checking out some pics of him and i can see it. He should lose a little weight....but good casting. I think that Nolan is keeping his movie making interesting and is easily my favoutire director at the moment.

Check out the post at:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=736

Last edited by james2025a; 07-20-06 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-20-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I knew how to quit you Joker
Old 07-20-06, 10:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Latino Review?
Old 07-20-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I just wish they would hurry up and get started actually making the movie. The wait is killing me.
Old 07-20-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, that doesn't sound right.

How is he in Lords Of Dogtown? Any performance of his that's been said to be good, he's been low-key and mumbly. Quite at odds with what would make a good Joker, I think. He has the smile, I suppose.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Latino Review?
Actually a pretty good site for early info.
Old 07-20-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No no no, he's too stoic not animated like a crispin glover would be.
Old 07-20-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like Heath Ledger as an actor(in the right role, at least), but I really can't see him as the Joker. First of all, he's a few inches too short for the role. Secondly, I've never seen him display in any of his films the ability to portray the manic, over-the-top insanity that is the Joker.

About the only thing dude would have going for him in the role is his receding hairline.
Old 07-20-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess it's a win/lose situation. I'm not thrilled it may be Ledger, but I don't think he would ruin the movie. It's better than the rumor of Robin Williams though, that would have caused quite a violent rage.
Old 07-20-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I like Heath Ledger as an actor(in the right role, at least), but I really can't see him as the Joker. First of all, he's a few inches too short for the role. Secondly, I've never seen him display in any of his films the ability to portray the manic, over-the-top insanity that is the Joker.

About the only thing dude would have going for him in the role is his receding hairline.
I am not a fan of Heath Ledger by any means, and i agree that he is a bit short....but i have faith in Chris Nolan more than anything. When i first heard about some of the casting rumours for Batman Begins i had doubts. I wasn't sure about Christian Bale...i didn't think he had really proven himself all that well before BB, Cillian Murphy was an unknown quantity and Michael Caine just didn't seen right. But it couldn't have worked out better. The only bad choice was Katie Holmes who just cannot act. I am willing to give Ledger a chance. I have liked some of the other names that have been thrown around...but have never really been convinced about any so far. Maybe Paul Bettany might have been a good choice....but after Da Vinci and Firewall maybe good to stay away from him.
Old 07-20-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Im not sure about Ledger. I was really pulling for Bettany but Ill take a wait and see approach.
Old 07-20-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'll second it - Latino Review?
Old 07-20-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont think the Joker is a part that calls for a lot of range...Im sure if this is true, it will be just fine.
Old 07-20-06, 11:22 AM

I would much rather see Crispin Glover as the Joker.
Old 07-20-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Well i will second the post that mentioned that Latinoreview.com actually gets a lot of scoops and always gets some good early reviews on scripts. I guess you don't check out many movie websites as latinoreview seems to be a pretty popular one.
Old 07-20-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by gmal2003
Im not sure about Ledger. I was really pulling for Bettany but Ill take a wait and see approach.
I'm a little disturbed that A Knight's Tale suddenly become source material for the Batman sequel.
Old 07-20-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
FWIW, they were the first to break Brandon Routh's casting as Supes. And I think they were also one of the first who leaked the BB script.
Old 07-20-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
No, that doesn't sound right.

How is he in Lords Of Dogtown? Any performance of his that's been said to be good, he's been low-key and mumbly. Quite at odds with what would make a good Joker, I think. He has the smile, I suppose.

Actually a pretty good site for early info.
Actually, in LODT, he's exactly that - low key and mumbly.
Old 07-20-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
When i first heard about some of the casting rumours for Batman Begins i had doubts. I wasn't sure about Christian Bale...i didn't think he had really proven himself all that well before BB, Cillian Murphy was an unknown quantity and Michael Caine just didn't seen right. But it couldn't have worked out better. The only bad choice was Katie Holmes who just cannot act. I am willing to give Ledger a chance. I have liked some of the other names that have been thrown around...but have never really been convinced about any so far. Maybe Paul Bettany might have been a good choice....but after Da Vinci and Firewall maybe good to stay away from him.
Having seen Bale as an action hero ("Equilibrium") and as a haunted soul ("Machinist"), I knew he was good for the role. Murphy, an unknown quantity? Maybe to you. And Caine seemed spot on.

I don't think that Katie's main fault was her acting. I liked her in "Pieces of April" and "The Gift". I thought both her and Gary Oldman had crap roles and very very poorly directed.
Old 07-20-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just about never a cynic regarding casting decisions because I trust directoral visions, especially from Chris Nolan. And I think Heath Ledger is pretty damn talented. But I'm having a VERY difficult time seeing him as The Joker. Now, as Harvey Dent, I could absolutely see. But Joker?

Paul Bettany? Yes, yes, yes.
Crispin Glover? Possibly.
Sean Penn? Most definitely.

Heath Ledger? ... I'm very skeptical, but like I said I have faith in creative casting decisions, especially from Nolan's camp. Maybe they want to add a "charismatic" spark to The Joker. Who knows, but I'll give this a week or two before I think it's set in stone.
Old 07-20-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'm a little disturbed that A Knight's Tale suddenly become source material for the Batman sequel.
I thought the exact same thing when I read the news.
Old 07-20-06, 11:44 AM

We don't need a pretty boy playing the Joker. This is a bad idea.
Old 07-20-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Having seen Bale as an action hero ("Equilibrium") and as a haunted soul ("Machinist"), I knew he was good for the role. Murphy, an unknown quantity? Maybe to you. And Caine seemed spot on.

I don't think that Katie's main fault was her acting. I liked her in "Pieces of April" and "The Gift". I thought both her and Gary Oldman had crap roles and very very poorly directed.

With regards to Cillian Murphy...before Batman Begins he was rwally only known for 28 Days Later...not much to judge him on. And he was nothing special in that film. I don't know how you seem to know his work before BB so well...but to 99.9% of people he was an unknown before BB.

As for Katie Holmes....she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. She just plays the same character time and time again. And i disagree about Oldmans character....i thought it was well done in BB and the whole film was well directed.
Old 07-20-06, 02:52 PM

[Darth Vader] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/Darth Vader]

I really hope that this not true. I don't think that I could think of a worse actor to play Joker from all the rumored names than Heathy Ledger.

Edit: After just reading Latino Review, they said that an offer was officially made to Heath. That does not mean that he will accept it. So maybe their is still a glimmer of hope and he will pass up the part to do 11 Things I Hate About You, or some other crap like that.

Last edited by Eric D.; 07-20-06 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-20-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

.... july fools joke?
Old 07-20-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He has the look, although like others, I'm not sure if he can pull a Joker performance out of his arse.

But, they did a good job casting for Begins, so I'll give them some leverage if this is true.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.