Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rebecca - Criterion Collection

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 11:22 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebecca - Criterion Collection

I've been searching for this DVD for a while. Although it's available on Ebay, it seems like every copy that is up for bidding gets to around $100 USD. If I have to, I will pay that, but I'm not really that interested in spending that much money.

Do any of you know anywhere else that I could buy this DVD from, besides the obvious choices like Amazon, DVDPlanet (sold out,) etc?
Old 07-18-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nope, AFAIK it;s LONG out of print and high prices are your only option.
Old 07-18-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, I have been in desperate pursuit of tons of OOP stuff and have wound up only having to throw down the big bucks most of the time. If you can be patient enough and look hard enough, you may get a great deal somehow down the road. Maybe.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you happen to get lucky at a pawn shop or some other second-hand DVD store.
Video Game Talk Reviewer

It definitely seems like I'll have to pay a lot for it. It's the only Hitchcock Criterion that I need, so I'm trying my hardest to find a copy. I guess I'll just have to keep casually checking Ebay for deals, although I'm sure I'll eventually have to pay upwards of $100 or so for it. I paid $76 for Spellbound, so I'd be hypocritical to say I wouldn't pay that much for a DVD - I'm just trying to avoid it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-18-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Unless you happen to get lucky at a pawn shop or some other second-hand DVD store.
Yep, probably the only way, second hand places that will sell it dirt cheap and not have a clue or even care.
Old 07-18-06, 11:38 PM
Banned

I rented this from my library, I wish the bonus disc wasn't so heavily text based special features.
Old 07-18-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

check your local libraries. They're known for having Criterion. Heck, mine had Spellbound CC. I even asked if i could buy it and they said i would have to "lose" it. And they only charge MSRP which isn't bad when you consider OOP DVD's. Of course you would have to deal with the bad karma of ripping off a library.
Old 07-18-06, 11:54 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

My local library lends out a lot of DVDs, but I don't think I've ever seen a Criterion there. Intersting idea, but I doubt I'd be able to do it, considering I have a terrible conscience.
Old 07-19-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
It definitely seems like I'll have to pay a lot for it. It's the only Hitchcock Criterion that I need, so I'm trying my hardest to find a copy. I guess I'll just have to keep casually checking Ebay for deals, although I'm sure I'll eventually have to pay upwards of $100 or so for it. I paid $76 for Spellbound, so I'd be hypocritical to say I wouldn't pay that much for a DVD - I'm just trying to avoid it.

Thanks for the replies.
No idea where to get it, but it is a lot better than Spellbound so it SHOULD cost more

For a while after it went OOP, people were finding the sets at places like Barnes and Noble, but I haven't heard of any showing up recently.

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-19-06 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-19-06, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the korean edition apparently is a direct port of the criterion, and it costs $10 or so.
Old 07-19-06, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kocheese99
check your local libraries. They're known for having Criterion. Heck, mine had Spellbound CC. I even asked if i could buy it and they said i would have to "lose" it. And they only charge MSRP which isn't bad when you consider OOP DVD's. Of course you would have to deal with the bad karma of ripping off a library.
That's a terrible idea.
Old 07-19-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I looked up what I paid for the Hitchcock Criterion boxed set. On 7/11/03 I paid $80.14 shipped from Overstock. Probably one of the smartest DVD purchases I have ever made.

But, back on topic, I doubt you'll get Rebecca for much less than $100 now. I've seen it go for over $200 on ebay recently.
Old 07-19-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Every once in a while, legitimate e-tailers will find a batch of OOP Criterions. In the last month I've managed to find both Straw Dogs and Notorious for about $35. Your best bet is to check for it on DVD Price Search -- Amazon and DVD Empire show up regardless of whether they have it in stock, but if you see any other stores listed, they have it.
Old 07-19-06, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
In the last month I've managed to find both Straw Dogs and Notorious for about $35.
Straw Dogs is a bit of an exception, though. It must have been a very poor seller for Criterion because it's still pretty widely available. Amazon regularly stocks it, and I've seen sealed copies in small retailers (like independent records shops). But Rebecca is pretty much long-gone -- which isn't surprising since it remains an extremely popular Hitchcock.
Old 07-19-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had no idea Rebecca was in such demand. I'm certainly not getting rid of my copy, but it does makes me happy to have gotten Criterion's Hitchcock boxset back in the day for $40.
Old 07-19-06, 03:48 PM

Just had someone come in looking for that movie yesterday at work... weird...

and yea, told him about how much it was... he was a little sad it looked once I told him the price it normally goes for online.
Old 07-19-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Will Criterion ever re-release the OOP Hitchcock DVDs?
Old 07-19-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Will Criterion ever re-release the OOP Hitchcock DVDs?
No. I believe they no longer have the rights for those movies. I forget which studio has them now, maybe WB?
Old 07-19-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
No. I believe they no longer have the rights for those movies. I forget which studio has them now, maybe WB?
I believe it's Disney, through ABC films:

from Wikipedia:

Shortly after the death of producer David O. Selznick, ABC acquired the rights to a considerable amount of the Selznick theatrical film library, including Rebecca and Portrait of Jennie (but not including Selznick's bigger hits, like Gone With the Wind and the 1957 version of A Farewell to Arms).
Old 07-19-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ you nailed it. Its not inconceivable that criterion wouldn't reissue them, as they do have a good working relationship with Disney.

It all kind of came down when MGM stated that they had the rights, and planned on releasing a box set...then with the Sony buyout, that was blamed, until it was realized that Disney actually was the rights holder. Not sure if there is any legal debate over ownership, or liscence...but that is the only thing i could see holding this back.

all ofthis is well documented on this forum.
Old 07-19-06, 05:58 PM

Picking these OOP Hitchcock Criterions up isn't that bad of an idea, even at the going second-hand market rate. I picked up the Hitchcock boxset about six months ago through the bargain forum for $180. The cheapest it goes for in good condition now is $250 and sometimes sells upwards of $300.
Old 07-19-06, 08:19 PM

Do you guys use a different version of ebay than me?

I checked completed listings for Rebecca on eBay and not one has gone for over $100 in the past few weeks, I've never seen one go for over $100 yet. Highest recently was for $95, and a sealed copy went for around $70 2 weeks ago.

For the 5 disc set you can still find one listed cheap (under 200-250) via buy it now occasionally, but it doesn't last long. I felt bad about paying $120 or something like that for mine at Best Buy after it went OOP, guess it turned out ok in the long run and it was worth the $120, not sure it is worth $300 though (might have to sell mine if they keep going up).
Old 07-19-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wait until it is release in HD and then pick it up the Criterion on Ebay.
Old 07-19-06, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
By doing this, you would basically be taking away other people's chances to watch this great movie.

You're evil.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.