Reload this Page >

Eureka - "Pilot" 7/18/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Eureka - "Pilot" 7/18/06

Old 07-18-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eureka - "Pilot" 7/18/06

As World War II came to a close with mushroom clouds over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the impact that science and technology would have on the continued security of our world became catastrophically apparent. America nearly lost the race to build the atomic bomb; it could not risk such a close call again.

With the help of Albert Einstein and other trusted advisors, President Harry S. Truman commissioned a top-secret residential development in a remote area of the Pacific Northwest, one that would serve to protect and nurture America's most valuable intellectual resources. There, its greatest thinkers, the über-geniuses working on the next era of scientific achievement, would be able to live and work in a supportive environment. The best architects and planners were commissioned to design a welcoming place for these superlative geniuses to reside, an area that would offer the best education for their children, the best healthcare, the best amenities and quality of life. A community was created to rival the most idyllic of America's small towns — with one major difference: this town would never appear on any maps. At least, none that haven't been classified "eyes only" by the Pentagon.

Thus, the town of Eureka was born. But for all its familiar, small-town trappings, things in this secret hamlet are anything but ordinary. The stereotype of the absent-minded professor exists for a reason, and most of the quantum leaps in science and technology during the past 50 years were produced by Eureka's elite researchers. Unfortunately, scientific exploration is rarely what one expects, and years of experiments gone awry have yielded some peculiar by-products.

From unrequited love to professional jealousy, from addiction to depression, the problems of Eureka's townsfolk stem from life's myriad of everyday challenges. But with the population's unique talents, troubled psyches and limitless resources, these small-town concerns have a way of becoming big-time problems. It is at that intersection, where human frailty and super-science collide, that Eureka begins….
The 2-Hour series premiere is tonight at 9/8c on the Sci-Fi Channel. Anyone else going to watch it?

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 07-18-06 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-18-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
*raises hand*

We're always looking for good stuff to fill the summer months with. This looks pretty interesting, so we're going to check it out.
Old 07-18-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be checking it out. It's been quite a while since SciFi last launched a new drama, especially one not on Friday nights.
Old 07-18-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in, I am a sucker for slap-stick CGI, no matter how cheesy. Now I just have to convince the wife to watch it too.
Old 07-18-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is impossible for me to resist watching this. The pull is too strong.
Old 07-18-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Commercials seem very entertaining, I will at least dvr this to watch later as my son and I are currently in a Babylon 5 marathon mode.
Old 07-18-06, 05:36 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I haven't heard too much about this. Any good buzz?
Old 07-18-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watching it now. It seems...ok

^ damning with faint praise.
Old 07-18-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Father-Daughter relationship was way beyond clichéd (the part in the jail was boardline self-parody), but the show was fairly entertaining. I'll watch it again.
Old 07-18-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it.

Pros: Good acting, characters and dialog. Creative design. Even the dog has a personality. Humor is a plus and only a little corny.

Cons: Potential freak of the week and predictable plots.
Old 07-18-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of interesting... Probably would have made a better movie than a series though. Not sure how long they can string that along, really. Not sure that I need to see much more past the pilot, but I might give it another try.
Old 07-18-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What do you guys think about The Lost Room? That was kinda odd.
Old 07-18-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
I liked it.

Pros: Good acting, characters and dialog. Creative design. Even the dog has a personality. Humor is a plus and only a little corny.

Cons: Potential freak of the week and predictable plots.
My opinion was the opposite: Bad acting, characters, and dialog. Humor was horrible and it should have had a much more serious tone. Father/daughter stuff was silly. The whole sci-fi angle with the Event Horizon/Stargate orb was dumb. Interesting overall idea regarding the town but this sucked.
Old 07-18-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's like a cross between X-Files and Desperate Housewives. Eh, I'll DVR it and watch it after Last Comic Standing.

But hey, how about that Battlestar Galactica preview, huh? Whoo-hoo!
Old 07-19-06, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best part of the show was the BSG preview they snuck in.

D
Old 07-19-06, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reminded me of Eerie Indiana with maybe a dash of Northern Exposure thrown in. But lacking the charm and humor of both. I didn't hate it though, it wasn't too bad. But the parts that were supposed to be funny fell flat. Debrah Farentino is as hot as ever cant believe shes pushing 50.
Old 07-19-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed it, though I hate obvious plot holes. I think that it has enough potential for a good season. Other then that, very enjoyable.

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The whole sci-fi angle with the Event Horizon/Stargate orb was dumb
That is exactly what I thought!

Did anyone else notice that BSG banner at the bottom acting really wierd and slow at about the half way point?
Old 07-19-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gijon213
Did anyone else notice that BSG banner at the bottom acting really wierd and slow at about the half way point?

Oh yeah, it was like it was being manually controlled and they just couldn't get it right so they kept trying. Kinda annoying.

Not as annoying as the lower banner for "Who Wants to be a Superhero" that actually had arms and heads sticking out above the banner. But at least they had that one under control.

Concerning the BSG preview, I don't know what I thought about the "modern" alternative music being played over it. Maybe it would have hit me the right way if I knew (and liked) the song?
Old 07-19-06, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
Reminded me of Eerie Indiana with maybe a dash of Northern Exposure thrown in. But lacking the charm and humor of both. I didn't hate it though, it wasn't too bad. But the parts that were supposed to be funny fell flat. Debrah Farentino is as hot as ever cant believe shes pushing 50.
It reminded me a little of Eerie Indiana as well. It was fairly entertaining and with nothing else on right now, I will probably watch more.
Old 07-19-06, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
What do you guys think about The Lost Room? That was kinda odd.
It did indeed seem odd, but I kind of want to watch it to see what it is like.
Old 07-19-06, 05:03 PM

I thought it was OK for a pilot episode. I see a lot of potential and hope they don't blow it, but if anyone can do it, Bonnie Hammer can.
They can always cancel it next week and replace it with more Law & Order reruns!
Old 07-26-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
Ive watched the pilot and the second episode as well, and it's been entertaining enough so far.

It seems like the show is going for a larger story arc, one that may last all season. In the very beginning of the pilot, before the Marshall and his daughter run off the road, the daughter sees themselves passing them, going in the opposite direction. At first, I thought this might be resolved by the end of the pilot, with the reversal of the time orb thing causing Eureka to snap back in time or something, allowing them to leave before they arrived. No I'm thinking that the explaination is going to be in the season capper.
Old 07-27-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought it was incredibly boring and slow paced, which is bad for any show, but especially bad for a show with this premise.

The bad acting didn't help either.
Old 07-27-06, 07:02 AM

I've seen a few references to bad acting, which is weird. The show, especially the pilot, is filled with well respected, veteran character actors. Matt Frewer, Joe Morton, Rob LaBelle, Greg Germann, Neil Grayston, and most importantly, Maury Chakin. It seems like they've lost a few of these guys when they went to series, but I hope they can get some of them back.

I think it is going to be a great show that fails quickly. Sci Fi fans don't seem to like character development and comedy in their shows. All they want to do is argue about tachyon particle collisions. It looks to me like the "science" on the show will be more macguffin than lynchpin.
Old 07-27-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I've seen a few references to bad acting, which is weird. The show, especially the pilot, is filled with well respected, veteran character actors."

I don't get it either. Maybe they are blaming a weak script on a good cast. If you like the premise, give it a chance. Some arc shows need a half season to develop a stride.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.