Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lady In The Water Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-17-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's at 20% at rottentomatoes. I guess Illl be seeing clerks this weekend.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lady_in_the_water/

"Nonetheless, "Lady in the Water" strikes me as the weakest, least engaging, and least commercial picture of the quintet of supernatural horror thrillers he has made: the aforementioned "Sixth Sense," "Unbreakable," "Signs," and "The Village.""
Old 07-17-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just want to know the twist ending.
Old 07-17-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope the bad reviews aren't actually shocking anyone. I'm going to love seeing the bad reviews flow in for this one.

"Shyamalan does project genuine menace and suspense into this mundane location, especially in nighttime scenes. But the magic that would transport you from reality into fantasy is missing."

-- Kirk Honeycutt, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

"Shyamalan has followed The Village with another disappointment -- a ponderous, self-indulgent bedtime tale."

-- Brian Lowry, VARIETY

"This misbegotten project is Shyamalan's weakest thriller--senseless, verbose, convoluted. It might be remembered for featuring the director himself as a wannabe writer, and a film critic from hell who complains, there are no original stories left..."

-- Emanuel Levy, EMANUELLEVY.COM
Old 07-17-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Meh, critics tore The Village apart and I still enjoyed it. I'll check this one out too in theaters.

Oh, and there is one pretty positive review up as well. It might not be "dead in the water" yet.
Old 07-17-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This doesn't mean jack to me. I thought The Village was Shyamalan's best film yet and that was bashed to hell.

I'm there opening night.
Old 07-17-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
"A muddled, self-serious snoozer."
"A potentially interesting idea deflated by the absurd proclamations of an arch screenplay and smothered under the ponderous gravity of M. Night Shyamalan's dreary direction."
"Ponderous, pretentious and self-indulgent, it nonetheless puts Mr. Shyamalan's technical prowess on display. Still, you'll wonder if the pay-off was worth the journey."
"Far-fetched and utterly humorless."

Oh...I'm sorry, those are for Unbreakable, a movie I freaking loved. I think I'll choose to ignore the critics this week...or every week.
Old 07-17-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
it's at 20% at rottentomatoes. I guess Illl be seeing clerks this weekend.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lady_in_the_water/

"Nonetheless, "Lady in the Water" strikes me as the weakest, least engaging, and least commercial picture of the quintet of supernatural horror thrillers he has made: the aforementioned "Sixth Sense," "Unbreakable," "Signs," and "The Village.""
Uh, the "least commercial picture" part makes me want to see this film even more.
Old 07-17-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
"A muddled, self-serious snoozer."
"A potentially interesting idea deflated by the absurd proclamations of an arch screenplay and smothered under the ponderous gravity of M. Night Shyamalan's dreary direction."
"Ponderous, pretentious and self-indulgent, it nonetheless puts Mr. Shyamalan's technical prowess on display. Still, you'll wonder if the pay-off was worth the journey."
"Far-fetched and utterly humorless."

Oh...I'm sorry, those are for Unbreakable, a movie I freaking loved. I think I'll choose to ignore the critics this week...or every week.
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Uh, the "least commercial picture" part makes me want to see this film even more.
Agreed 100% on both ends.
Old 07-17-06, 10:14 PM

It's frustrating to watch his direction get better and better while his writing gets worse and worse. He's trying to position himself as an amazing visionary, but it's pretty obvious where his talent is and where he's merely adequate (or lately, just plain bad).
Old 07-17-06, 10:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
maybe the little fiasco with Disney execs over this will teach him....
Old 07-17-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sethsez
It's frustrating to watch his direction get better and better while his writing gets worse and worse. He's trying to position himself as an amazing visionary, but it's pretty obvious where his talent is and where he's merely adequate (or lately, just plain bad).
That's a really good way to put it. I also find it weird how he continues to improve in one area, yet in the other (where it really counts), it just gets worse and worse, in my opinion of course.
Old 07-17-06, 10:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
"Shyamalan has followed The Village with another disappointment -- a ponderous, self-indulgent bedtime tale."

-- Brian Lowry, VARIETY
what?! we didn't know that Shyamalan was self indulgent to begin with... come on, tell us something new... after 'The Village' and seeing the film's twist ending come a mile away, he's becoming a tired cliche.
Old 07-18-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I just want to know the twist ending.
Me too. I'm really surprised this hasn't leaked anywhere yet considering it's already been screened alot.
Old 07-18-06, 12:20 AM

From what I've heard, there isn't one.
Old 07-18-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you dont know how to put spoiler tags THEN DONT POST THE FUCKING ENDING IN THE REVIEWS THREAD!

ban his ass mods
Old 07-18-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So.. there isn't one is a spoiler? Well, I guess with M. Night, That does make sense..
Old 07-18-06, 01:48 AM

I think he was referring to another post that was after mine which got deleted for posting speculation about the ending.
Old 07-18-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey lukewarmwater lighten up. I gave you plenty of forewarning in reguards as to what was coming (spoilers). If you scrolled down to the bottom of a page and read the two lines and you didn't wanted to be spoiled then boo fricken hoo. I've deleted my post. I realize that's the way things are done at DVDTALK (spoiler tags), but I thought some people here were asking for the twist and I had a momentary lapse in reguards to 'tags'.

And if you read my post this was just alluded to 'rampant speculation' that I had culled from various sources, but seemed to be a reasonable expectation as to the 'twist'.
Old 07-18-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well.. I still want to know.
Old 07-18-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When walking out the village in disgust My girlfriend and I wanted to yell:
Spoiler:
They are in 2004!
Old 07-18-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll still check this out. This can't be any worse than The Village. Giamatti is in it, that's gotta count for something.
Old 07-18-06, 11:43 AM

The plot of this film sounds pretty stupid, but Shyamalan has grown as a director in each film. The main character is a narf? Giamatti's character is named cleveland heap? Where's Rajad pooperson? Maybe I'll rent it, put in on mute and throw on some pink floyd.
Old 07-18-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Agreed 100% on both ends.
Seconded.
Old 07-18-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I give reviews of this movie very little credibility due to so many preconceived opinions about the director. I'll just wait and see it.
Old 07-18-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Screw the reviews.. I LOVED "The Village", I LOVED "Unbreakable", and I LOVED "Signs"..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.