Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Home Depot Deals? Coupons? for Countertop Installation

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to have Home Depot install a new countertop in my kitchen. Anyone know of any online coupons/deals out there?

TIA.
Old 07-17-06, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While not a "coupon," you can save about 25-30% by going directly to a counter subcontractor. To my understanding, the way Home Depot works is that they have deals with select subcontractors for this kind of thing. So, the total price you pay to Home Depot is the subcontractor fee, plus about 25-30% to Home Depot for their "service" of calling the subcontractor for you.

My wife and I just went through this exact process. We got a quote from Home Depot. Based on our budget, we were forced to go with a quote for a Corian countertop (the lowest quality). At the recommedation of our electrician, we ended up calling a subcontractor directly, and we got a top of the line granite countertop for less money than the Corian.
Old 07-19-06, 11:52 AM

How much was the countertop installed? please give total installed price per foot
Old 07-19-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$29/FT. Small countertop so the price was $475.00
Old 07-19-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they're having their end of the season sale which is 20% off of "yellow ticket" items.....whatever that means. I heard an ad on the radio for it yesterday.
Old 07-19-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I think they're having their end of the season sale which is 20% off of "yellow ticket" items.....whatever that means. I heard an ad on the radio for it yesterday.
They are but I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to custom built and installed countertops.
Old 07-20-06, 03:22 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

PLEASE DO NOT PAY $55/sq ft for the installed granite at HD(that is their starting price I think) It is nothing less than armed robery. Yellow pages or ask a friend/relative in the area that has had a similar job done. I got the counters for my kitchen (top of the line granite) for 2 x $255(2x6) and one at $390(3x5) plus $400.00 to install it = $33 and change / sq ft I got cheap labor but even if you pay 6-7 hundred for installation it is less money. This same installation at HD would have been so much more expensive that no coupon would have made up the difference. Also do a little shopping around as the prices for the same granite vary tremendously.
Old 07-20-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I had to ever do any type of a home improvement project the last place I would go would be HD. I speak from personal experience from within the organization.
Old 07-20-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This week HD was giving away Thank You 10% off coupons on your next purchase made during the last week of July. It's a national promo so yours should have them.

The Yellow Tag event is a Clearance event to move older stock from the stores. There are some really good buys there.

I'm sure going straight to contractors may be cheaper, but make sure you get a reputable one with at least a 1 year warranty on installation. That's the one benefit of going with HD over a contractor. I'm not going to say that the installer for HD is not going to make a mistake, but HD (at least mine) will stand by their installers and product and take care of you should there be a problem or concern.
Old 07-20-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unfortunately those 10% off coupons do not apply. Thanks for all the responses though.
Old 07-20-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if this works, but post offices usually have "moving" packets of coupons and home depot - at least the last two times i've moved - has a coupon in there. i see them all the time laying on the counters at post offices, so it may be worth a try.
Old 07-20-06, 08:51 PM

Usually the fine print on the Home Depot coupons excludes custom work, such as countertops. The best you can do is hope they'll run a sale on countertops. Usually they'll discount certain patterns of granite and silestone.
Old 07-21-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
I'm not sure if this works, but post offices usually have "moving" packets of coupons and home depot - at least the last two times i've moved - has a coupon in there. i see them all the time laying on the counters at post offices, so it may be worth a try.

They stopped doing that a couple years ago... Now what they do is they put a form in there for you to fill out, and they might send you one 3 months later. To many people were going and taking them just for the coupons and not moving. You can also fill out forms online that say you moved and get them a little faster...
Old 07-21-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can someone that knows tell me the avg price for a new counter top for granite vs. Corian vs. whatever the normal cheaper kind is. I know a decent price for Granite is like
Old 08-11-06, 07:22 PM
Cool New Member

I have not comparison shopped the price of granite vs. Corian but I noticed that the Corian seems to need a lot of upkeep. I have two friends with corian counters and sinks. One has a cat and her counter is all scratched up where the cat jumps on it. When the light hits it, it looks awful. I know it can be sanded but I wouldn't want to deal with the mess that would cause. Another has a Corian sink which seems to be part of the deal with Corian installation and that has not stood up well either. I would go with granite even if it is a bit more $$$.
Old 08-11-06, 08:45 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by REL77
They stopped doing that a couple years ago... Now what they do is they put a form in there for you to fill out, and they might send you one 3 months later. .
My local post office had these "moving packs" less than three weeks ago. I grabbed two because I needed two Home Depot coupons and they were indeed inside. Also, they had been recently printed because they had only a short period of 3-4 months in which they were valid.