Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where Do Local Rental Dealers Get DVDs? The Answer May Surprise You...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess some of those B&M discount deals are too good to pass up...

From Home Media Retailing

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=22&image.y=16

"Sideways Buying on the Rise
Author: JUDITH McCOURT
[email protected]
Posted: July 12, 2006

Independent video rental dealers may not be buying as much product as they used to — studio estimates of indies’ buying clout ranges from 15% to 20% — but those estimates may be diluted because studios are only tracking sales through traditional distribution.

A Home Media Research survey found that 52% of independent rental dealers buy DVDs at Wal-Mart, Target and other discount retailers and then redirect them into their rental or sellthrough inventories.

The May 2006 survey of more than 300 indie retailers found 27% saying they are buying more of their video inventories from other retailers than they were a year ago.

On average, the rental dealers who buy DVDs from other retailers obtain nearly 40% of their inventory in this manner. Rental dealers who buy from mass merchants and other discounters every week said they buy nearly 75% of their DVDs from this channel.

New releases are the most commonly bought product, cited by 91% of rental dealers who buy from other retailers. On average, these rental dealers said they turned to mass merchants and discounters for 28% of their Walk the Line inventories, 27% of their Chronicles of Narnia buys and 25% of their King Kong purchases.

Catalog titles draw sales to 40% of independent rental dealers, with 30% buying games, 28% buying children’s video titles and 20% buying TV DVD titles.

Rental dealers also turn to discount chains for replenishment, with 37% saying they make a quick trip to the local mass merchant if they find they misjudged their initial order.

Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club are the leading de facto DVD “wholesalers,” servicing 39% of independent rental dealers. Target is a distant second at 8%, followed by Best Buy (6%) and Costco (4%).

Nearly two-thirds of rental dealers said they buy DVDs from other retailers because the prices are lower than through distribution."
Old 07-13-06, 09:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That makes sense. Get a DVD at Wal-Mart for $14.99. Rent it four times at $4 and you've already made your money back.
Old 07-13-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Yeah. I saw this every Tuesday, when I worked at walmart.
Old 07-13-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No big surprise.
Old 07-13-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't suprise me, I'd heard about this before. It makes since when sometimes these B&M stores are selling DVDs for less than even they can get them for.
Old 07-13-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know my local Mom -n- Pop video store does this. After I told him about DDD he puts in a lot of orders there as well.
Old 07-14-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer did not surprise me.
Old 07-14-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
The answer *kinda* surprises, not because it's a good idea for the guy buying them, but because I thought most stores like that wouldn't sell to other storeowners?

Although, I just realized I've seen people buy stuff at places like Sam's Club for their restaraunts and such, but not regular Wal-Marts.
Old 07-14-06, 01:54 PM

No surprise at all...if I was in the rental business I'd be doing the same thing
Old 07-14-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That makes sense. Get a DVD at Wal-Mart for $14.99. Rent it four times at $4 and you've already made your money back.
And after all that, sell it "previously viewed" to some dumbass for the same price you bought it for.
Old 07-14-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
And after all that, sell it "previously viewed" to some dumbass for the same price you bought it for.
true
Old 07-14-06, 02:56 PM

This answer surprised me because I didn't know there were any independent stores left.
Old 07-14-06, 05:13 PM

This practice has been going on for years...ever since DVDs went "mainstream" with mass merchants. The more devalued DVDs become, the more attractive they'll be to independent stores - heavy heavy heavy discounts. DVDs are sold way below cost now (loss leaders)...
Old 07-14-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not surprising at all. I've looked into a few places that provide rental stores with product and they charge an arm and a leg. You can get a title for $14.99 on sale the first week it's available at Best Buy, or you can go through VPD and get it for $20 IF you order at least 10 copies.

The only advantage the stores have when ordering through VPD or the like is that they get their movies early and can have them on the shelf when they open on Tuesday morning.
Old 07-14-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I've never even bothered renting DVDs (except for a couple that were out of print) since you can buy them so cheaply. Though I work for a retailer, often stores like Wal-Mart and Target will have DVDs on sale for less than what I could get with my employee discount.
Old 07-14-06, 06:14 PM
Cool New Member

Okay, this seems like a stupid question since no one else has even mentioned it yet, but is it illegal to do this? I thought DVDs purchased through regular channels (store bought) were intended only for private home viewing, not commercial redistribution.

So either I'm wrong, or everyone else has taken this for granted. Either way I lose by asking.
Old 07-14-06, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The article didn't really surprised me. I always suspected local stores, and even some Hollywood Videos of doing this. I know I told one local store about DDD, and I think they went ballistic because the next week the store had a ton more movies.
Old 07-14-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by J-Log
Okay, this seems like a stupid question since no one else has even mentioned it yet, but is it illegal to do this? I thought DVDs purchased through regular channels (store bought) were intended only for private home viewing, not commercial redistribution.

So either I'm wrong, or everyone else has taken this for granted. Either way I lose by asking.
As far as I know it is illegal. I know that BBV and other big rental businesses have to pay much more for their rental copies. I know that BBV didn't get Land of the Dead because I was told by a manager that Universal wanted something like 200 dollars per copy.
Old 07-14-06, 08:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Which is why most of the ads say 'Limit 2 per person'. Why would anyone buy more then 2 copies of a single movie?
Old 07-14-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought this was illegal as well. I guess the small mom and pops can get away with it though.
Old 07-15-06, 09:44 AM
DrS

I thought the answer would be DDD 20% off sale!
Old 07-15-06, 10:55 AM
Cool New Member

I'm really surprised that if this is illegal, independent stores actually answered the survey. I wonder if it was anonymous.
Old 07-16-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would pretty much have to be to get any sort of response to questions about a store's purchasing practices. I was under the impression that there was some sort of mechanism in the industry to enforce the laws against this, but I wonder if there really is any way to know?
Old 07-16-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's defintely not illegal. Furthermore, rental outlets don't pay more for their DVD copies than anywhere else; this practice ended with VHS tapes.

Blockbuster didn't get Land of the Dead because Universal wanted them to pay in cash for it instead of credit. Blockbuster had (has?) a habit of delaying payment to its creditors.
Old 07-16-06, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
It's defintely not illegal. Furthermore, rental outlets don't pay more for their DVD copies than anywhere else; this practice ended with VHS tapes.

Blockbuster didn't get Land of the Dead because Universal wanted them to pay in cash for it instead of credit. Blockbuster had (has?) a habit of delaying payment to its creditors.
Especially with everything thats been happening with them.