Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Danger After Dark Collection (2LDK/ Suicide Club/ Moon Child)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Danger After Dark Collection (2LDK/ Suicide Club/ Moon Child)'

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Danger After Dark Collection (2LDK/ Suicide Club/ Moon Child) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22724 and...

I am going to slightly disagree with you on the video transfer.

The new 2LDK transfer comes directly from the R2 DVD release of the film and it is a significant upgrade from the previous TLA Releasing disc. The initial transfer was washed-out, grainy, compression, and had terrible burned-in subtitles. The R2 transfer which is now on this R1 re-release is a significant improvement as there's actual depth to the picture quality. The colors are bright and vibrant, there's no compression, and it actually looks like it was shot recently whereas the first transfer looks like the film was shot in the 80s. It also happens to be the only disc in the set worth upgrade status.

Also the Suicide Club re-release is indeed NON-ANAMORPHIC. And just like the previous release, it's a shitty transfer to boot that looks near VHS quality on my 36" Sony HDTV and my Apple 23" HD Cinema Display.
Old 07-13-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matthew:

I stand by my statements regarding 2LDK in the review. I own the original R1 release and I don't feel there is a "marked" improvement between the two. That's just my opinion. You obviously have yours.

Thanks for the heads up on the Suicide Club issue. I pulled out the DVD and, sure enough, it's NON-ANAMORPHIC. What a crime. I will change my review accordingly. Teach me to rely on the cover art, box art, TLA press materials, etc.

BILL
Old 07-13-06, 05:07 PM

The "Danger After Dark" refers to the portion of the annual Philadelphia Film Festival [co sponsored by TLA Releasing/TLA Video] at which these films were screened, and subsequently acquired for distribution by TLA. I am surprised that no mention was made on the packaging of this, but that's the reason for the combined package.
[NOTE: It WILL be nice to see the anamorphic transfer on Suicide Club.]
Old 07-13-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Gibron
Thanks for the heads up on the Suicide Club issue. I pulled out the DVD and, sure enough, it's NON-ANAMORPHIC. What a crime. I will change my review accordingly. Teach me to rely on the cover art, box art, TLA press materials, etc.
The advertised anamorphic transfer on Suicide Club was the major reason I bought the set on street date. And it wasn't even there.
Old 07-14-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The advertised anamorphic transfer on Suicide Club was the major reason I bought the set on street date. And it wasn't even there.
That's very unfortunate. I will probably still pick up the set, anyway. I had been waiting to buy Suicide Club for a while now because of this release.
Old 07-14-06, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
That's very unfortunate. I will probably still pick up the set, anyway. I had been waiting to buy Suicide Club for a while now because of this release.
At least the subtitles on this release are a lot better than the last outing and you do get 2LDK as an extra of sorts.
Old 07-14-06, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't trust TLA too much with their releases as they are a mixed bag. Too bad that it seems they did nothing different here. Especially when one considers the number of bad reviews of the image of Suicide Club previously released. The best part is that I bumped into someone from TLA and asked them and they said it looked amazining. He must have been on drugs.
Old 07-14-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The previous version of 2LDK had white subtitles that were burned into the print and were often difficult to read. It might be worth double dipping just to get optional subtitles, but I wish they'd found a way to include the DD 5.1 or DTS tracks from the R2 disc as well (why just the 2.0 track?).

Unfortunately, I already bought the new version of Suicide Club separately (it's being sold at Hot Topic stores, go figure). Of course, I was expecting the anamorphic transfer advertised on the back of the packaging. No dice. Now I have to buy Suicide Club *again* to get the new version of 2LDK, as it looks like that's only being offered as part of the box set.

I guess the best thing about this set is the price. $29.99 MSRP is rather good for three niche titles. I just wish there'd been a little more quality control.
Old 07-14-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
I guess the best thing about this set is the price. $29.99 MSRP is rather good for three niche titles. I just wish there'd been a little more quality control.
In terms of 2LDK's release the only thing they could've done from being the ultimate R1 release is the addition of the 5.1 tracks. However with TLA's compression of the release, there's only room for a Dolby track as the current disc already takes up 7GB. Sure, the transfer could be slightly better, but for that to happen they would have to get their hands on a solid print of the film and remaster it from there. At least all the extras are directly from the R2 edition.

I don't know if Suicide Club could be done as a special edition as it was very low budget. I don't know if Sion shot any behind the scenes footage, but I do know there was a handful of deleted scenes left on the cutting room floor. All I asked for from this release was at least a decent anamorphic transfer and we couldn't even get that. If TLA acquires Noriko's Dinner Table (a.k.a. Suicide Club 2), I am sure we will end up being tripple dipped.

And don't get me started on Moon Child. There's a three-disc ultimate edition available of the film in Japan and we get a shitty transfer with zero extras.
Old 07-14-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did enjoy your review by the way.

It's so lame that we get the bulk of inferior releases over here in the states (or so it seems). Lately, I've most of my purchases have been non-region 1 DVDs, and this is definitely one of the primary reasons.

Oh well--The price is right, so for three movies under $20, I can't complain too much.
Old 07-15-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bill, thanks for the very informative review.

Originally Posted by Bill Gibron
It looks like you changed part of your review, but not the part that goes on to say: "If you own one or all of these films separately, double dipping for a new anamorphic transfer of Suicide Club seems a little steep."
Old 07-15-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Also the Suicide Club re-release is indeed NON-ANAMORPHIC. And just like the previous release, it's a shitty transfer to boot that looks near VHS quality on my 36" Sony HDTV and my Apple 23" HD Cinema Display.
Would you say the the releases are about the same or is the new one even worse than the original?
Old 07-15-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Peep
Bill, thanks for the very informative review.

It looks like you changed part of your review, but not the part that goes on to say: "If you own one or all of these films separately, double dipping for a new anamorphic transfer of Suicide Club seems a little steep."
It's fixed now. Thanks for the heads up.

BILL
Old 07-17-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
Would you say the the releases are about the same or is the new one even worse than the original?
The new release is slightly better than the past edition. Whereas the first transfer was of VHS quality, this release is of S-VHS quality (per say).
Old 07-17-06, 09:50 AM

There is hope after all.

I e-mailed TLA about the Suicide Club transfer and this is what they had to say:

Hi Anthony,
Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, the first set of box sets that were made had the incorrect DVD inserted into them. I promise that we have a new anamorphic and color corrected version of Suicide Club available. If you purchased the box set already, I will be happy to send you the new anamorphic version.

There is hope after all.

Last edited by BlueMan1; 07-17-06 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, there is an anamorphic, color-corrected transfer of "Suicide Club"? Has anyone actually gotten hold of one?
Old 07-17-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm... I'm wondering if I should just hold off a bit until they hopefully start putting in the corrected version. And I'm assuming you meant Suicide Club rather than Battle Royale?
Old 07-18-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who did you e-mail at TLA Releasing?

I'm assuming that all of the boxsets on the market currently are that of the first printing.
Old 07-19-06, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BlueMan1
I e-mailed TLA about the Suicide Club transfer and this is what they had to say:

Hi Anthony,
Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, the first set of box sets that were made had the incorrect DVD inserted into them. I promise that we have a new anamorphic and color corrected version of Suicide Club available. If you purchased the box set already, I will be happy to send you the new anamorphic version.

There is hope after all.
So if they had the wrong disc inserted into them, what does that mean? does it mean that they just put the old disc in there or does it mean that there is a third disc that is the "one" since obviously this isn't it?
That's pretty irresponsible of them. Just say nothing and do nothing hoping no one notices or complains. They should have pulled the set until they got their thing together and the correct one out on the streets. TLA is local to me and its upsetting about a lot of the lazy work they do. That is the reason why a lot of their dvds are hit and miss regardless of the film.
Old 07-28-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I e-mailed TLA nearly a week ago and so far have received no response.
Old 08-31-06, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlueMan1

Hi Anthony,

There is hope after all.
So I'm guessing so far this hasn't been followed up on..?
Old 09-02-06, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bis22
So I'm guessing so far this hasn't been followed up on..?
I never got a response back from TLA. I'm assuming the anamorphic version is non-existant.
Old 09-05-06, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wouldn't surprise me any. I'm sure they knew all along that it was just going to be the three discs boxed together.
Old 09-17-06, 09:40 PM

Well, there are some reviews on the net that are really talking about a remastered anamorphic transfer and thet it looks pretty damn good, so I think there must be a remastered version around!
Old 09-17-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ascension
Well, there are some reviews on the net that are really talking about a remastered anamorphic transfer and thet it looks pretty damn good, so I think there must be a remastered version around!
I'll believe it when I see it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.