Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lionsgate multidips (Reservoir Dogs/Dirty Dancing)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalbits
Also revealed in the story are a number of new Lionsgate DVD releases, including the On Native Soil documentary on 8/22, Akeelah and the Bee on 8/29, Hard Candy on 9/19, a Saw II: Special Edition sometime before Halloween, An American Haunting and a Reservoir Dogs: 15th Anniversary Edition on 10/24, See No Evil on 11/28, and a Dirty Dancing: 20th Anniversary Edition for early in 2007
do we need a new Dirty Dancing?
Old 07-11-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Do we really need another Reservoir Dogs too?
Old 07-11-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Do we really need another Reservoir Dogs too?
If the picture quality is improved over the disastrous 10th anniversary edition, hell yeah!
Old 07-11-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i wouldn't mind a new reservoir dogs. ditch the extra full screen disc that came with it and add a disc of extras.
Old 07-11-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll take another "Reservoir Dogs" disc if it restores all the lines of dialogue that were somehow accidentally deleted from the 10th anniversary edition. And yeah, correcting the horrible transfer would be good, too.
Old 07-11-06, 10:06 PM

I will be keeping the 10th anniversary release with the Mr White cover because there is no way Lionsgate will port all the extras from the Artisan release.
Old 07-11-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You got .. multiple releases of SAW, SAW2, House of 1000 Corpses.

Reservoir Dogs. was a slack picked up by Lionsgate from Artisan.. so a possible dip again with that.
Old 07-11-06, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A new Reservoir Dogs is very much needed. Since i refuse to purchase the last edition which was really effed up with missing dialogue,bad transfer quality and bad framing.

Dirty Dancing is not a bad rererelease considering it is te 20th Anniversary and it's expected/predictable that studios double dip. And L.G. have yet to release the film themselves. So it's a first for them and I'm aok with it.

Let's just hope they keep the original trailers on these rereleases,since they love to omit them from many of their releases!
Old 07-12-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn. I haven't even watched the 10th anniversary version of Reservoir Dogs.
Old 07-12-06, 12:33 AM
Banned

I will be keeping the 10th anniversary release with the Mr White cover because there is no way Lionsgate will port all the extras from the Artisan release.
Uh, Artisan IS Lionsgate. They obviously have access to all that material if they choose to use it.

Anyways, I'm actually happy about this edition of "Reservoir Dogs". The last one was loaded with problems.

I actually got in touch with Artisan's head of DVD production way back when the problems first surfaced. Using the email address of a low-level Artisan employee and the credits of the "Terminator 2: Extreme Edition" DVD I was able to guess this guy's e-mail because the format was first initial/last name @ artisanent.com.

He said he was actually gonna correct the issues and I was in regular contact with him and then Lions Gate (now Lionsgate) bought Artisan and I figure the whole thing got lost in the shuffle because I never heard from him again and nothing ever came of it. For all I know he could have lost his job as part of the acquisition.

In any case, give me a properly framed anamorphic transfer with the proper color timing and all the dialogue and I'll be happy. I don't even care if they pull a "T2:EE" and "make" you keep the old disc for the extras. I just want the movie itself properly presented.

ditch the extra full screen disc that came with it and add a disc of extras.
That disc isn't entirely redundant, each disc has different bonus materials. I remember a lot of confusion when it first came out, people weren't even putting disc 2 into their players because it was the "full screen" disc and they missed out on a lot of stuff.

MGM did a similar thing on some of their flippers like "UHF" and "The Last House on the Left" where the features were spread over both sides.

Last edited by GuruTwo; 07-12-06 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 09:06 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What missing dialogue I had no idea ?
Old 07-12-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mok
from DVDcompare.net:
R1 SE America - (Artisan - 10th Anniversary Edition) - No Censor Cuts, but this release IS missing some dialogue bits. The missing bits and exact times are as follows:
-0:28:32 MR. WHITE: "I think he just passed out."
(-0:38:23 MR. BLONDE: "Joe" => This line is NOT missing, but is a very quiet mumble.)
(-0:51:33 MARVIN NASH: "I haven't been looking." => This line is NOT missing, but is a very quiet mumble.) / MR. PINK "Shut the..." => There has been no evidence that this line was ever said, so this one is unconfirmed.
Old 07-12-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mok
me neither...wtf is that all about??
Old 07-12-06, 11:27 AM
Banned

I think it's pretty crazy that DVDcompare.net exists solely to confirm the differences between DVD releases of the same film yet they maintain that this missing dialogue is "unconfirmed". Perhaps the reviewer is just trying to cover up for his inadequacy because he didn't pick up on the missing bits when he COMPARED the discs.

It's definitely missing, and though you can make out bits of the missing dialogue as low-level production audio the missing part is the ADR that was actually recorded and inserted into the movie so you wouldn't have to get up and stick your ear to the speaker to hear it.

The crazy thing about this is that Artisan/Lionsgate has always had access to an acceptible fix. They could merely dust off the soundtrack from the original non-anamorphic disc. I don't care if the 5.1 tracks are missing dialogue because they're modified by their very nature.

Ideally they would have had the modified 5.1 versions and the unmodified mono or stereo versions. This worked for the DVD's for "The Terminator", "Jaws" and "Duel".

I'm all for improving the transfer, too, but in my years-ago attempt at getting "Reservoir Dogs" fixed I focused on the soundtrack. The transfer is arguably flawed (I'm in the camp that thinks it is) but that is debatable whereas the missing dialogue is undeniable (except for the idiots at dvdcompare.net).

As I said before: this is an exciting opportunity to get the uncut soundtrack and a suitable anamorphic transfer.
Old 07-12-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
I think it's pretty crazy that DVDcompare.net exists solely to confirm the differences between DVD releases of the same film yet they maintain that this missing dialogue is "unconfirmed". Perhaps the reviewer is just trying to cover up for his inadequacy because he didn't pick up on the missing bits when he COMPARED the discs.
No, he's actually pointing out that the specific line in question has possibly never been present on any version; it's always been that Steve Buscemi says something muffled (prior to this whole discussion months/years ago, I had always thought he said "Shut up" because two syllables was all that was there) which gets covered by him slapping Marvin Nash. The reason he put "unconfirmed" is that, unlike the other three examples, it is still debated whether this line was ever there or not. (In much the same way that some people will swear there's a joke cut from the 'Gay Dog' episode of "South Park".) The other three are not mentioned as "unconfirmed", which tends to at least imply that they are confirmed.

(Also worth pointing out: the primary concern of their site is comparing the various special features and bonus material included on DVDs in different countries; they're not focused on comparing every single moment of every single DVD to see which one has which problems. They seem to only do that when people point out specific problems related to "alternate cuts", unless it's specifically being marketed as such.)

I'm all for improving the transfer, too, but in my years-ago attempt at getting "Reservoir Dogs" fixed I focused on the soundtrack. The transfer is arguably flawed (I'm in the camp that thinks it is) but that is debatable whereas the missing dialogue is undeniable (except for the idiots at dvdcompare.net).
I'm not sure what they've done to anger you; they're the only place I know of that lists the problems at all. IMDb doesn't mention it, dvdaficionado doesn't mention it (where they do mention a comprable problem on 'Day of the Dead'), I'm pretty sure dvd profiler doesn't mention it, DVD Beaver doesn't seem to ... I haven't seen any other website which addresses this issue.

Also, they're factually accurate: They list the one line which is definitely missing, the two lines where the mix seems off (though your ADR explanation is better and probably true), and one line where there is debate inasmuch as the line seems to be missing, but has apparently been consistently that way.
Old 07-12-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Uh, Artisan IS Lionsgate. They obviously have access to all that material if they choose to use it.
LIONSGATE they have been buying up movies left and right, so i am not suprised they are coming with a re-release.

also own the stock, as a side note.
Old 07-12-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xage
You got .. multiple releases of SAW, SAW2, House of 1000 Corpses.
actually only one release of House of 1000 Corpses, I would love them to revisit this.

and definitely, FIX Reservoir Dogs, it needs it. maybe we should email to remind them of what was wrong last time.
Old 07-12-06, 10:39 PM
Banned

I sent off e-mails to every Lionsgate address I could find last night but I haven't heard back from any of them.

As I said before, I was able to figure out the e-mail address of the head of DVD production at Artisan based on seeing his name in the "T2:EE" special feature credits and using the first initial/last name @ artisanent.com format but the only post-merger Artisan/Lionsgate DVD's I own are "The Punisher" and "The Aristocrats", and there wasn't anyone equally impressive-sounding in the "Punisher" credits and I could find no supplement credits on "Aristocrats".
Old 07-13-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the R2 single disc of Reservoir Dogs and the video transfer is FAR superior to the R1 2 disc. One of the best looking dvd's I've ever seen. The audio is only stereo though, but it's mostly all dialog anyway. No need for me to buy a new version.