DVD Talk
the greatest football trick play ever?(youtube video) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : the greatest football trick play ever?(youtube video)

Bacon
07-11-06, 06:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YnnnnyMjCw&search=football%20tricks

at first i thought a coach threw the QB the ball (that he was holding) but the explanation clears it up

NCMojo
07-11-06, 07:15 PM
But that -- that's cheating! -eek- -eek- -eek-

;)

astrochimp
07-11-06, 07:25 PM
Its funny but kinda BS,i mean if you have to resort to that to get a TD.I wouldnt be that proud as a coach to call that and then have to go shake the other coaches hand at the end of the game.

devilshalo
07-11-06, 07:53 PM
Its funny but kinda BS,i mean if you have to resort to that to get a TD.I wouldnt be that proud as a coach to call that and then have to go shake the other coaches hand at the end of the game.
Then that's the fault of the defensive coach not teaching his guys to recognize what's a snap and what isn't.

I don't mind having to resort to it if you're down and this wins the game for you. Now if the offense was up 55 - 10, yeah, I'd have a serious problem.

cdollaz
07-11-06, 10:01 PM
Pretty sneaky sis!

Jeremy517
07-11-06, 10:58 PM
I don't think it was particularly lame. The center picked the ball up off the ground. Had no one on the defense ever played football before?

Dean Kousoulas
07-11-06, 11:49 PM

I agree. I hope they fired that coach :)

nodoubt
07-12-06, 09:56 AM
cheap score

RoyalTea
07-12-06, 10:03 AM
I don't mind having to resort to it if you're down and this wins the game for you. Now if the offense was up 55 - 10, yeah, I'd have a serious problem.it sounded like that was the first play from scrimmage, at least going by what the announcers said.

devilshalo
07-12-06, 12:01 PM
it sounded like that was the first play from scrimmage, at least going by what the announcers said.
Then that's pretty fucked up. If that was the very first play, I hope they got their ass handed to them. I don't mind trick plays when you have to resort to something different because you're losing and your offensive sets aren't getting you results. Trick plays are supposed to be desperation plays and used for emergency situations only.

gimmepilotwings
07-12-06, 12:31 PM
Then that's pretty fucked up. If that was the very first play, I hope they got their ass handed to them. I don't mind trick plays when you have to resort to something different because you're losing and your offensive sets aren't getting you results. Trick plays are supposed to be desperation plays and used for emergency situations only.

Says who?

Last year, the Cardinals ran a flee flicker the first play from scrimmage. Why? Because they thought that they could catch the defense off guard, and they had a 40 yard pass play because of it.

Trick plays are meant to trick the opposition. If they were only used when you suggest, they would be very predictable.

devilshalo
07-12-06, 12:40 PM
Says who?

Last year, the Cardinals ran a flee flicker the first play from scrimmage. Why? Because they thought that they could catch the defense off guard, and they had a 40 yard pass play because of it.

Trick plays are meant to trick the opposition. If they were only used when you suggest, they would be very predictable.
It was the Cardinals. They were what? 5-11 last year. 'nuff said. :p

RoyalTea
07-12-06, 12:43 PM
Trick plays when you're up by a lot is a douchey move.

Any other time, who cares? I love it when a team kicks the ball onside to open the game.

cleaver
07-12-06, 01:56 PM
Trick plays are supposed to be desperation plays and used for emergency situations only.
In 1999, coming off a string of losing seasons, the Eagles tried an onsides kick either to start the game or at the start of the 2nd half against the Cowboys. It sent a message, they won the game, the division, and that play was essentially the start of their run.

In 2000, the 1st edition of the Snyder spending spree Redskins were floundering halfway through the season, and tried an onsides kick to start the 2nd half against the Super Bowl champion Rams. They went up 2 scores, won the game, and went on a hot streak.

Trick plays are supposed to be used when they're not expected. That's why they're trick plays. If they were supposed to be used in emergencies they'd be emergency plays.

FantasticVSDoom
07-12-06, 02:37 PM
What the hell??? If you are way ahead and the game is in question, yeah I get it. But give me a fucking break. You try to win basically by any means necessary as long as its within the rules and you arenít trying to intentionally hurt someone. I mean damn, this is sports, not humanitarian aid.

Xbox69
07-12-06, 02:41 PM
As the kids say nowadays, "so GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!" :p

IDrinkMolson
07-12-06, 02:49 PM
In 1999, coming off a string of losing seasons, the Eagles tried an onsides kick either to start the game or at the start of the 2nd half against the Cowboys. It sent a message, they won the game, the division, and that play was essentially the start of their run.

That was the first kickoff of the 2000 season. And it was also known as the Pickle Juice Game.
http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20000904/256694.html

Ovid
07-12-06, 03:44 PM
I think it needs to be stressed the difference between this play and more traditional "trick" plays. This was based on confusion as to weather or not they were actually playing. Cheap. Like another banned play where the reciever stands right by the coach just inbounds, but attempting to look like he is not in play. Yes, the defense should be better, but these things are still cheap.

Things like the fumblerooski or a flee-flicker are differenct. They use deception, but so does any counter or trap or stunt. The difference is that those plays don't use deception inregards to who is playing and when the play has started.

rabbit77
07-12-06, 04:13 PM
In junior high baseball, we had a trick play where on a count with 2 balls and a runner on first, on ball 3 the batter would jog to first thinking it was a walk and the runner on first nonchalantly jog to second.

We did it once during the season, and made it look like an honest mistake.

Cheap, but very cool way to steal second.

Mordred
07-12-06, 04:20 PM
That was the first kickoff of the 2000 season. And it was also known as the Pickle Juice Game.
http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20000904/256694.htmlInteresting, I had forgotten about that. In Oct. 2003 the Eagles tried the exact same play in the the team's first matchup. This time Dallas was ready for it, Randall Williams recovered the onside kick and returned it for a touchdown in exactly 3 seconds, making it the fast TD ever. The eagles lost 23-21.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DAL/6716120

Jericho
07-12-06, 04:22 PM
it's like the hidden ball trick in baseball. Now who has a problem with that?

Charlie Goose
07-12-06, 06:32 PM
Interesting play and definitely legal.

However, I question the logic of the coach for using that as the very first play. That's a gem that you save for when you really need it late in the 4th and down by more than a FG. They won't be able to trick another team with that play for years to come.

gimmepilotwings
07-12-06, 06:36 PM
It was the Cardinals. They were what? 5-11 last year. 'nuff said. :p

When they did the trick play they were 0-0. Moot point.

devilshalo
07-12-06, 07:02 PM
When they did the trick play they were 0-0. Moot point.
And the year before they were 6 - 10.. and before that 4 - 12... If I were a Cardinals fans, I'd take a win by any means. :p

Red Dog
07-12-06, 09:22 PM
The problem is that in today's football, had one of the defenders recognized it as a trick and plowed the unguarded QB, they'd probably get flagged for unnecessary roughness.

SPiRAL
07-13-06, 01:35 AM
Pretty sneaky sis!

:lol: :thumbsup: That's what I was thinking.

twikoff
07-13-06, 02:14 PM
i have no problem with the trick play
it scored a touchdown, and that is the object of the game

just like i dont have a problem with acting like your running a receiver off the field.. having him stop just short of the line.. and then running out wide open because the other team was too dumb to count and realize he was still live

The Dude
07-14-06, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't this particular trick play have to be run as the first play of the game or half, since the whole idea is that they have the wrong ball, and they need to get the correct one into play?

grrrah
07-14-06, 06:30 PM
i have no problem with the trick play
it scored a touchdown, and that is the object of the game

just like i dont have a problem with acting like your running a receiver off the field.. having him stop just short of the line.. and then running out wide open because the other team was too dumb to count and realize he was still live
saw this play at Cal twice in a season.

except it was a FG attempt, the kicker pretends to count how many people are lined up, starts yelling 'too many guys', the guy at the end of the line starts running....

broadwayblue
07-14-06, 08:31 PM
The problem is that in today's football, had one of the defenders recognized it as a trick and plowed the unguarded QB, they'd probably get flagged for unnecessary roughness.

Excellent point. Then the team who was trying the trick play would be all up in arms about how their star QB was hit while "defenseless."

Jeremy517
07-14-06, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't this particular trick play have to be run as the first play of the game or half, since the whole idea is that they have the wrong ball, and they need to get the correct one into play?

That isn't it. They're going for "the confused QB is calling a timeout and walking to the sidelines" angle.