Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

New DDD sale? (Save 48% on universal titles)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 07-11-06, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

offer valid through 7/17

sorry if this is a repost

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/studi...ioId=44&page=1
Old 07-11-06, 11:17 AM
Banned

I hate the way DDD only lists about 5 or 6 movies per page when they have tons of movies on sale.

OP, do us a favor and list the movies that are included in this sale. Update your post once completed so we know. Thanks.
Old 07-11-06, 12:37 PM

I saw a number of those titles in the $4.88 display at WalMart today.
Old 07-11-06, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody know if the Black Angel and This Gun For Hire are apart of any Warner Bros. type of Film Noir Collection similar to the Fox Film Noir?
Old 07-11-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hiccup
Anybody know if the Black Angel and This Gun For Hire are apart of any Warner Bros. type of Film Noir Collection similar to the Fox Film Noir?
Not really... Yes and no. They are two of the four noirs that Universal issued under the "Universal Noir Collection" banner (The Big Clock and Criss Cross being the other two titles). They were not released as a set. I highly recommend all four titles if you're a fan of film noir.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 07-11-06 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 07:41 PM

In for Wet Hot American Summer

thanks to the OP
Old 07-11-06, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the information Johnny Zhivago and the two recommendations of titles. Must have overlooked those. I have always wanted to see them, but must ahve passed on them looking through the list. Any idea whether or a boxset might come down sometime down the line or is this it?
Old 07-12-06, 08:17 AM

Too bad DDDVD sucks so bad in the customer service department. Over the last two years they've gotten not one, not two, not three, but four of my orders wrong. Most recently I ordered season 8 of The X-Files from them. Ordered it last Thursday and paid extra for 2-5 day shipping. As of yesterday (the 4th business day) I still had not even gotten an email saying it was sent out. I emailed them and this morning they replied saying their authorization center had a problem with my order. A few months ago they said the same thing... but when I called my credit card company they said they had okayed the use of the card to DDDVD, so that proves DDDVD were lying about it. So when I placed the order last Thursday over the phone, I made the girl repeat all the info she had back to me to make sure it was right. Apparently even doing that doesn't ensure you'll get your orders from them. Since I paid extra for 2-5 day shipping, I know that they processed me order last Thurday when I placed the order, or Friday at the latest. They knew 4 days ago something was wrong with the order and they didn't even try to contact me via email or phone to let me know. Nope, I went to the post office every day thinking it'd be there, and then I had to contact THEM to find out they couldn't process the order. Most reputable companies let their customers know right away when there's a problem.
Old 07-12-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the information Johnny Zhivago and the two recommendations of titles. Must have overlooked those. I have always wanted to see them, but must ahve passed on them looking through the list. Any idea whether or a boxset might come down sometime down the line or is this it?
No problemo, glad to help... I'm a noir junkie.

The "Universal Noir Collection" titles were released two years ago so I highly doubt that they will box em' up for a future release. You could probably get them a dollar or two cheaper through Columbia House, if you wanted to go that way and are familiar with the club and codes, etc. That said, at DDD's current sale price, they are absolutely worth it.
Old 07-12-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyclad
Too bad DDDVD sucks so bad in the customer service department. Over the last two years they've gotten not one, not two, not three, but four of my orders wrong.
Wow man, you must have bad luck. I've never had a problem with them.
Old 07-12-06, 10:59 AM
Banned

Too bad DDDVD sucks so bad in the customer service department. Over the last two years they've gotten not one, not two, not three, but four of my orders wrong. Most recently I ordered season 8 of The X-Files from them. Ordered it last Thursday and paid extra for 2-5 day shipping. As of yesterday (the 4th business day) I still had not even gotten an email saying it was sent out. I emailed them and this morning they replied saying their authorization center had a problem with my order. A few months ago they said the same thing... but when I called my credit card company they said they had okayed the use of the card to DDDVD, so that proves DDDVD were lying about it. So when I placed the order last Thursday over the phone, I made the girl repeat all the info she had back to me to make sure it was right. Apparently even doing that doesn't ensure you'll get your orders from them. Since I paid extra for 2-5 day shipping, I know that they processed me order last Thurday when I placed the order, or Friday at the latest. They knew 4 days ago something was wrong with the order and they didn't even try to contact me via email or phone to let me know. Nope, I went to the post office every day thinking it'd be there, and then I had to contact THEM to find out they couldn't process the order. Most reputable companies let their customers know right away when there's a problem.
You must be doing something wrong because I've never had a problem.
Old 07-12-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Too bad DDDVD sucks so bad in the customer service department.
How badly do you need X-Files S8 that you're going to the post office everyday? This is the kind of stuff that makes me not pay for expedited shipping.

I haven't had any problems with DDD, but in the last few months I've gotten 3 wrong discs from DDCD. They must be using prison labor or something. But it's never been an issue returning the item.
Old 07-12-06, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by FatTony
How badly do you need X-Files S8 that you're going to the post office everyday? This is the kind of stuff that makes me not pay for expedited shipping.

I haven't had any problems with DDD, but in the last few months I've gotten 3 wrong discs from DDCD. They must be using prison labor or something. But it's never been an issue returning the item.

I go to the post office every day, whether I'm expecting something or not. It's just that since Monday I've been expecting it to be there. When I pay extra for 2-5 day delivery, I don't expect it to take 1-15 days like the last two times I ordered from them and had the order not go through.

I called them today when they opened up, and asked them about it. They said my credit card company wouldn't authorize the purchase. I called the CC company, and they said they did autyhorize it on the 6th of July. That's the day I ordered it. So they're lying about that. Then I asked the DDDVD employee why it is that they never contacted me to say there was a problem if they knew there was a problem all the way back on July 6th. She said "Oh well... ummm... Our email system that notifies people that an order can't be processed is down right now". 1.) So what if it's down. If someone orders something and there's a problem, manually email them and let them know. Especially if they paid extra for 2-5 day shipping. 2.) I believe this line they gave me about the email notification service being down is a lie as well because it's the exact same excuse last time they screwed my order up. I won't be ordering from there again. I just ordered that DVD set from Amazon. It was a bit more, but I've ordered a hundred or so times from Amazon and they've yet to get any part of any order wrong.
Old 07-12-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 07-12-06, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy

Well, I couldn't find the "DDDVD Sucks" thread... Hahahaha... I know there used to be a thread where people griped about them, but I couldn't find it.
Old 07-12-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Not really... Yes and no. They are two of the four noirs that Universal issued under the "Universal Noir Collection" banner (The Big Clock and Criss Cross being the other two titles). They were not released as a set. I highly recommend all four titles if you're a fan of film noir.
I own them all. Criss-Cross is a must own being one of the best noirs I've ever seen. I like Black Angel quite a bit, particularly the opening scene with the replaying LP. Dan Duryea is great in this but the movie loses some steam toward the end but...it has Peter Lorre. Worth owning. This Gun for Hire I thought was just ok, although some people adore it. I personally thought The Big Clock was too gimmicky but it's entertaining enough.

Last edited by chente; 07-12-06 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 09:29 PM

Well, I couldn't find the "DDDVD Sucks" thread... Hahahaha... I know there used to be a thread where people griped about them, but I couldn't find it.
Try the store forum. Dave from DDD posts there.
Old 07-12-06, 09:51 PM

I highly recommend

Blood Simple for those that don't have it. Great Neo Noir.

Cape Fear (1962) Mitchum is bad, bad man.

Winchester '73 (Anthony Mann). Great western and a commentary by the James Stewart. Really good.

I'm picking up two other Mann westerns:

Bend of the River
The Far Country

along with

Lost Weekend
Coal Miner's Daughter 25th Anniversary
Destry Rides Again
Old 07-12-06, 10:45 PM

Thanks, picked up the four Universal Noirs. Were there any others that they releases?
Old 07-12-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, picked up the four Universal Noirs. Were there any others that they releases?
Unfortunately for us noir fans, no. Hopefully soon though! Universal has a nice noir library. Glass Key, Ministry of Fear, etc.
Oh, and as for their present ones, you made in a good choice in picking them up. Big Clock especially is one of my faves. And all the others are great too, though I'd agree with Chente when he says 'This Gun' is overrated. The best part of it is the gorgeous Miss Lake.