Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

BTVS - The Chosen Collection problem... any ideas?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finally started watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer from the beginning all the way through via the Chosen Collection. I have run into a snag... DVD 4 of the second season set is in there twice, so I have no disc 5.

Anyone know how to get this resolved via FOX? I just don't want to have to repurchase S2 separately for that one DVD unless I have to. Ideas? Please advise because that disc contains some of the better episodes in the season!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would think you would mail the disc that you have two of to Fox and ask them for the one you are missing.
Old 07-10-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470750

Here's some more rfduncan that may help:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread...isc+Replacement

Fox Consumer Hotline
(888) 223-2FOX

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread...isc+Replacement
Old 07-11-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the assistance.

I called that number. The woman who answered basically told me "Tough luck" that I should have watched all 40 DVDs before the set went out of print. Then they could have replaced the whole 40 disc set. They won't replace single discs. WTF? So because I didn't watch EVERY DISC (a total viewing of about 160 hours of footage?) before the limited edition set went out of print (which was probably about a month after release?), I screwed. She said they would replace individual SEASON sets where this occurred.

That is just the SADDEST customer support ever. The woman told me that she only ever heard of that happening with this set one other time - like that is supposed to make a difference to me, the screwed consumer?

So I guess now my only recourse is to buy an additional S2 set, take the 5th disc out, replace it with disc 4 and send a 2 disc 4 set back to FOX then sell the replacement set they send me on eBay. How crazy is that?
Old 07-11-06, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't the discs the same as the ones in the individual season releases? I think you can find those for about $25 now.
Old 07-11-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, the discs are exactly the same in every way.
Old 07-11-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
So I guess now my only recourse is to buy an additional S2 set, take the 5th disc out, replace it with disc 4 and send a 2 disc 4 set back to FOX then sell the replacement set they send me on eBay. How crazy is that?
Why don't you just return the S2 set to the store you bought it from? They'll credit you back the money you paid, and then in turn return the set to Fox themselves for a credit.
Old 07-11-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Why don't you just return the S2 set to the store you bought it from? They'll credit you back the money you paid, and then in turn return the set to Fox themselves for a credit.
That's assuming FOX will turn around the set fast enough to return it to a B&M.
Old 07-11-06, 04:44 PM

That is some major BS! I would be raising some crap about that! You paid for set through them and they need to fix your problem! I would be talking to some hire ups! Do not take no for an answer! Especially since the discs are the exact same, so they have them sitting there... If you dont want to go through all that... Go out and buy the season you are missing (dont open it) and then call them and tell them you have 2 discs that are the same in the set you bought... Then they will send you a replacment... But I would not bother with all that trouble! Call them and speak to someone else!

I know I have read this somewhere and it happening before... Right when the set came out... Best buy I know took back several because of this.
Thanks for the assistance.

I called that number. The woman who answered basically told me "Tough luck" that I should have watched all 40 DVDs before the set went out of print. Then they could have replaced the whole 40 disc set. They won't replace single discs. WTF? So because I didn't watch EVERY DISC (a total viewing of about 160 hours of footage?) before the limited edition set went out of print (which was probably about a month after release?), I screwed. She said they would replace individual SEASON sets where this occurred.

That is just the SADDEST customer support ever. The woman told me that she only ever heard of that happening with this set one other time - like that is supposed to make a difference to me, the screwed consumer?

Old 07-11-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
How about Netflix. Discs get "lost in the mail" all the time.
Old 07-11-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's assuming FOX will turn around the set fast enough to return it to a B&M.
Get it at Target. I believe their return policy is 90 days.
Old 07-11-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How about Netflix. Discs get "lost in the mail" all the time.
you could do this, or you could purchase season two from amazon (for like $25 at some times) and then say that that set had two disc 4s and no disc 5... its a little dishonest, but Fox kinda tied your hands on this one...
Old 07-12-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by critterdvd
you could do this, or you could purchase season two from amazon (for like $25 at some times) and then say that that set had two disc 4s and no disc 5... its a little dishonest, but Fox kinda tied your hands on this one...
That's sort of how I feel. However if I buy it at any retailer and return a S2 set I compiled with two disc 4's, FOX still ends up doing my replacement and since I'll have to pay S&H on that set, it is certainly the cheaper way out than send back the entire Slayer Collection!

Thanks for everyone's input and advice! I feel much better than I did upon discovering this problem!
Old 11-29-06, 06:49 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I just looked closely at the set that I bought a while ago and the same disk is duplicated. Looking at this thread reminded me to check.
Are the slim packs Buffy set disks the exact same as that are in the more expensive initial season set releases? I was thinking of buying that and replacing it that way as well.
Old 11-29-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i had heard that these box sets were back on shelves for this Xmas...might just swap the whole thihng out
Old 11-29-06, 08:04 PM

Seems kinda careless to not sift through all the discs in a huge 40 disc set when you buy it to make sure there are no duplicates..took me a couple minutes tops. =/

But yea.. that sucks.
Old 11-29-06, 08:26 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Actually I remember noting it when I bought it. But I bought it at dvdplanet and I dont like returning such a big set in the mail. Thats the benefit of buying someting like this at a store with a physical presence in my area for returns like best buy. Its funny that its the exact same disk as the one mentioned in the original post.

Last edited by g; 11-29-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 01:19 AM

i had the oppisite happen to me with a sony dvd, hart 2 hart-the complete 1st season, their were two disc 5s but the 6th disc was their.
i take it someone is missing the 5th disc in their set. these companies don't do anything right.
thats what happens when you hire imagrants for 15cents an hour. they don't care if your disc is missing or scratched.
i havn't heard many bad things about fox dvds yet, i think universal makes some pretty shitty dvds but not much bad press from fox.
these people gotta take care of there customers better, which sadly they never will.
Old 11-30-06, 08:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Last year when I got mine from DDD, there were discs scratched in 5 of the 7 seasons. They were all those kind of machine-scratched discs where you have about 3 or 4 lines of parallel scratches matching the curve of the disc.

Since the discs are identical to the season sets (including the disc art), I went at different times and bought the individual season sets and then returned them the next day, having switched out the discs I needed replaced and got new shrinkwrapped copies of the season sets.

I then took those to different Wal-Marts and got in-store credits and used that credit to buy new release DVDs that I would have spent regular money on anyway.

I felt like it was a little dishonest, but at the same time, I don't think places should do a "replace-it-all" or "no-replacement" policy on things like this. I mean, the box was in wonderful shape, so who's to say that the replacement would be too, and there's also no guarantee that all 40 discs in the new set would be fine.

All-in-all, I now have what I want, and the best thing is that the wonderful packaging that they used with the trays laying flat means that I never have to worry about the discs falling out of the holders and getting scratched.
Old 11-30-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wahlers
I felt like it was a little dishonest, but at the same time, I don't think places should do a "replace-it-all" or "no-replacement" policy on things like this. I mean, the box was in wonderful shape, so who's to say that the replacement would be too, and there's also no guarantee that all 40 discs in the new set would be fine.
How is that dishonest? The store where you returned it sends it back to corporate who sends it back to FOX for a refund/replacement. What was dishonest was FOX's backassed excuse for not being able to replace a single disc out of 40 DVD set especially considering the individual discs are all still in print.

Originally Posted by cylon
Seems kinda careless to not sift through all the discs in a huge 40 disc set when you buy it to make sure there are no duplicates..took me a couple minutes tops. =/
Guess we're not all as cynical as you. I expected a product to be shipped with what was supposed to be in there. Is it my fault that I didn't have time to inspect the set before it went out of print or FOX's fault for having such a ridiculous return policy when they were clearly at fault? The customer used to always be right. Guess that got lost a long ways back...

Originally Posted by g
Are the slim packs Buffy set disks the exact same as that are in the more expensive initial season set releases? I was thinking of buying that and replacing it that way as well.
They are exactly the same. I ended up grabbing S2 at Costco, taking out disc 5, contacting FOX, sent them the S2 set, 6 weeks later they sent me a sealed S2 which I returned to Costco. It was a pain and did cost me shipping AND time, but I was damned sure not gonna let FOX walk on me for such an expensive DVD set!
Old 11-30-06, 10:54 AM

I feel like it's slightly dishonest - not to the store that I returned the season sets (with defective discs) to, but to Wal-Mart who got the sealed season sets returned to them.

They gave me credit for the same amount that they will sell the sets for.

Keep in mind that had they purchased the sets from their distributor, they would have paid significantly less than what they sell them for, thus making a profit.

But, since the sets did not originally come from their distributor, and they gave me full credit, they will make no profit at all when they sell them.

Only that fact that it's Wal-Mart keeps me from feeling guilty. I'm just saying technically it's a little dishonest, not that it keeps me up at night or anything.
Old 11-30-06, 01:13 PM

how are you guys returning opened season sets? i've got the set on the way, and i want to make sure i'm ready in case there are any problems
Old 11-30-06, 03:19 PM

I will buy the season I need at a store and then open it and switch out the disc with the scratched one.

Then I take that season set (with the scratched discs in it) to the store I bought it at and (with the receipt) tell them my set had some scratched discs in it and I want to do an exchange.

They then give me a new set still sealed.

Then I take that set back to Wal-Mart without the receipt and say I lost the receipt and bought it a couple of weeks back.

The only thing you have to make sure of is that the store carries the seasons still. My local Wal-Marts only have season 1 of Buffy in-store anymore.
Old 11-30-06, 04:04 PM

hopefully i wont run into a problem when my set comes, but thats good to know if i do...thanks
Old 11-30-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by wahlers
I feel like it's slightly dishonest - not to the store that I returned the season sets (with defective discs) to, but to Wal-Mart who got the sealed season sets returned to them.

They gave me credit for the same amount that they will sell the sets for.
Yes, but then you used that store credit to buy from them DVDs that cost them less than what they sold them to you for, most likely.

So let's say the Buffy set cost you $30

You return it to a store, store gives you $30 credit
You then spend that $30 credit on $30 of merchandise that cost them, say, $24. (you also might've spent a little more than just the credit on DVDs, and maybe even bought other items at the store, since you were already there.)
So now they're out $24, but they have in exchange a DVD set they can sell for $30, giving them a profit of $6. And even if the set never sells they can return it to Fox for credit on the cost, which is probably around $24. So at the worst, they break even.

Plus, the original Walmart made a profit off your original purchase, so the overall corporation is making money off of you no matter what.