TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tru Calling: Show any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tru Calling: Show any good?

is tru calling good?

Last edited by TJK18; 07-06-06 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-06-06, 08:16 PM

I am by no means the posting police, but this person creates annoying (but amusing) threads.
Old 07-06-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Frankly, no.

The premise of the show was intriguing, but they didn't give enough thought to how they were going to keep something so repetitive interesting over the course of many episodes.

Also on the negative side, the plots of the individual episodes were laughably simple-minded.
It was often too easy to see in the first ten minutes of the show what the solution to the last ten minutes of the show was going to be.
(Meaning that you had to sit through 40 minutes of Tru figuring out what you figured out right away.)

On the plus side, the show stars Eliza Dushku --who, of course, is super freakin' hawt.

T.T.I.W.W.P.

On the negative side, the show never exploited that.
(No Tru has to hang out at the beach in a bikini, or Tru goes to work as a stripper)

The show did improve with the addition of Jason Priestly and the invention of a mythology arc.

However the DVDs are a total rip-off.

The first season if often on sale, but It's MSRP is crazy high.
The second season is just six episodes.

Of course, the time-travelling fantasy element of the show is intriguing enough to some that they want to check it out.
Maybe, someday, if they repackage this as a Complete Series with lower MSRP, I could recommend TRU CALLING, but not now.

<-- Eliza in the 2nd greatest movie ever made

Last edited by Count Dooku; 07-07-06 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-06-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll probably get more responses that you're looking for if you do a search/post over in the TV Talk sub-forum.
Old 07-06-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Even though it's in the wrong forum....yes, I enjoyed the show a great deal and thought it died too early.
Old 07-07-06, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I never entirely hated the show during the first half of season one although the show plots were quite annoying at times. This show improved by leaps and bounds in my opinion when Jason Priestly joined the cast since it gave the heroine a real antagonist to derive conflict from...something the show sorely lacked at first. I really thought it a shame that the show didn't get a full second season to build on as I think it could really have done something with the elements that had been introduced thus far.

Is it worth full price for the dvd's...probably not
Should you give it a try if the dvd's are on sale...a resounding YES

There's my opinion for what it's worth

Michael
Old 07-07-06, 09:16 AM
Suspended

I agree completely with fiver here.
Old 07-07-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fiver
I never entirely hated the show during the first half of season one although the show plots were quite annoying at times. This show improved by leaps and bounds in my opinion when Jason Priestly joined the cast since it gave the heroine a real antagonist to derive conflict from...something the show sorely lacked at first. I really thought it a shame that the show didn't get a full second season to build on as I think it could really have done something with the elements that had been introduced thus far.
Michael
I agree. The show started slowly but improved greatly as the first season progressed, particularly, as you said, when Jack (Jason Priestly) appeared. They kept doing more and more twists upon the basic formula and it was quite intriguing. It had become one of my favorite shows and I was delighted when it was renewed for a second season. Then Fox started all their shenanigans - delaying the second season premier, then killing it after only six more episodes had been filmed, even dumping the airing of the last episode after promising they would all be shown.

I recommend buying them when they are at a good price (as I would recommend buying anything I like).