Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Question about the self-promotion rule

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 07-05-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts

I noticed this thread was closed for violation of the self-advertising rule...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470713

I know that any kind of promotion of a company or listing ebay auctions is strictly off-limits, but I've always been under the impression members were allowed to post about their artistic endeavors, even if it might in some way benefit them. For instance, Seeker had a thread that followed his writing & subsequent publication of a children's book. I know we also used to have some threads by Boatdrinks about writing scripts for television shows and others by photographers/artists who shared links to their work. In all of these cases, the focus certainly wasn't on selling something to other members, but more just a member sharing something cool that they've done or are doing.

Anyway, I'm sure Geoff and the mods/admins have plenty to keep them busy, but thought it might be nice to have a little more in the way of guidelines as to what is and isn't acceptable. I always find it interesting to see what fellow-DVDTalkers are up to in the worlds of music, film, art and literature. Even if it's something that doesn't seem to come up too often, it's a cool aspect of this online community and I think we'd be losing something if that kind of thread was totally disallowed.
Old 07-05-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some rules are more or less open to interpretation by the specific mod in the specific subforum. Possible this rule is more open to interpretation than some others and that is how it is handled in Music Talk specifically.

Not to split hairs but Benedict wasn't an Other forum mod, and those examples were never in Music Talk.
Old 07-05-06, 02:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxfisher
[....] I've always been under the impression members were allowed to post about their artistic endeavors, even if it might in some way benefit them. For instance, Seeker had a thread that followed his writing & subsequent publication of a children's book. I know we also used to have some threads by Boatdrinks about writing scripts for television shows and others by photographers/artists who shared links to their work. In all of these cases, the focus certainly wasn't on selling something to other members, but more just a member sharing something cool that they've done or are doing.

Anyway, I'm sure Geoff and the mods/admins have plenty to keep them busy, but thought it might be nice to have a little more in the way of guidelines as to what is and isn't acceptable. I always find it interesting to see what fellow-DVDTalkers are up to in the worlds of music, film, art and literature. Even if it's something that doesn't seem to come up too often, it's a cool aspect of this online community and I think we'd be losing something if that kind of thread was totally disallowed.
For anyone reading the note I included with the thread closure, I hope it was discernible that some thought went into the process. And maybe it is worth highlighting that I closed the thread rather than deleting it.

For what it's worth, there can be a fine line between skirting alongside and breaking some of the rules. It is also often the case that, when one person strays across the line, others will follow. This means that firm enforcement is necessary even when it looks as if no harm can be done in any one particular instance.

You've mentioned a topic that appeared in one or two threads in Book Talk and may remember that, following discussion among mods/admins etc, we were able to leave the threads open for quite some time.

Without going into too much detail, there is often some discussion when a longer term and well-known member wishes to discuss a commercial endeavour. I think it is always a big plus where the member asks in advance whether they are OK to proceed i.e. that can be instrumental in allowing for a broad interpretation of the rules.

Your point is well made and I'll flag it up with the others to see if it is agreed that guidance usefully could be formulated over and above that
a) you have to be a long-term contributor and
b) you need to ask first.

Last edited by benedict; 07-05-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by benedict
For anyone reading the note I included with the thread closure, I hope it was discernible that some thought went into the process. And maybe it is worth highlighting that I closed the thread rather than deleting it.

For what it's worth, there can be a fine line between skirting alongside and breaking some of the rules. It is also often the case that, when one person strays across the line, others will follow. This means that firm enforcement is necessary even when it looks as if no harm can be done in any one particular instance.

You've mentioned a topic that appeared in one or two threads in Book Talk and may remember that, following discussion among mods/admins etc, we were able to leave the threads open for quite some time.

Without going into too much detail, there is often some discussion when a longer term and well-known member wishes to discuss a commercial endeavour. I think it is always a big plus where the member asks in advance whether they are OK to proceed i.e. that can be instrumental in allowing for a broad interpretation of the rules.

Your point is well made and I'll flag it up with the others to see if it is agreed that guidance usefully could be formulated over and above that
a) you have to be a long-term contributor and
b) you need to ask first.

Thanks for the well-thought out response. I know it's a fine line that has to be drawn to keep people from abusing the site. The guidelines you mention would be really good to see implemented, as I'm guessing a lot of us enjoy hearing about cool things our fellow members are doing with their artistic talents.
Old 07-05-06, 02:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I sure hope this paves the way for me to start advertising my poety readings. Attendence has been very low, as of late, and was cut in half when my mom stopped coming.
Old 07-05-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I sure hope this paves the way for me to start advertising my poety readings. Attendence has been very low, as of late, and was cut in half when my mom stopped coming.
Musings and asides from your Lost clue notebook hardly qualify as poetry.