Reload this Page >

EB / Gamestop B2G1F returns Wed. July 5

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 07-03-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called the local EB and talked to the manager, and he said that the B2G1F will kick off next marketing period, which begins Wednesday. He said that as far as he knows, it'll continue throughout this month until the beginning of the next marketing period at the beginning of August.
Old 07-03-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads up. Been eyeing a NCIS set at one of mine.
Old 07-03-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Talked to a clerk at GS just today while picking up some used HD titles and he suggested I buy a Game Informer magazine to get the B2G1 Free coupon inside. I told him I was aware there might be a promo in store this week and that I'd just do a return and rebuy later. He said he knew of this sale and told me it was for members only with the coupon. I say he's full of it. I'd assume the manager the OP talked to would know more than him. I definitely hope it'll apply to dvds.
Old 07-03-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nonametofame
Talked to a clerk at GS just today while picking up some used HD titles and he suggested I buy a Game Informer magazine to get the B2G1 Free coupon inside. I told him I was aware there might be a promo in store this week and that I'd just do a return and rebuy later. He said he knew of this sale and told me it was for members only with the coupon. I say he's full of it. I'd assume the manager the OP talked to would know more than him. I definitely hope it'll apply to dvds.
More than likely he has the sale confused with the coupon. IIRC, to use the coupon in Game Informer, you have to be a member.

As an addition, I confirmed the sale today with the 3rd key (basically the guy below the assistant manager) at the store. Granted, corporate can pull the rug out from under us at any time and tell the stores to not run the sale, but I don't see that happening.
Old 07-03-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info, MovieX. I guess we won't know for sure until Wednesday, but your comments definitely assures me there probably will be. I wish they weren't so strict about the coupon though. It'd be great if there were just a permanent members only B2G1F offer. I'd even settle for a couple coupons in every issue of their mag. It'd probably motivate a lot more people to sign up.
Old 07-05-06, 01:46 AM
Banned

I don't know why, but I'm exicted for the sale. I've been trying to avoid the GS's around here until another sale rolled around, so maybe I'll have some good fortune.

Wakin' up bright and early tomorrow, hitting up about 10 stores, I hope.
Old 07-05-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guy's I'm sorry, but it looks like the sale isn't happening. I stopped into the store today, and one guy says that corporate pulled it, another one claims that the first guy mis-read the sale info, and it was just a continuation of the coupon in Game Informer for the new marketing period.

I'm sorry to have jumped the gun on the announcement, but these guys had always been pretty solid with their info before. In the future I won't post news like this until I confirm it with at least 2 stores or, if I can't do that, after I check the store on my way to work on the first day of the supposed sale to confirm that it's running.
Old 07-05-06, 03:50 PM
Banned

I gathered that after 3 GS's and an EBG later....
Old 07-05-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
I gathered that after 3 GS's and an EBG later....
Damn, I'm sorry about that. I hauled ass to work so I could post in hopes of catching you and anyone else before they headed out for the day.
Old 07-05-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are there any deals going on at all? I thought the circular ended on the 4th.
Old 07-05-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The circular ended on the 4th, but there's a coupon in this month's Game Informer magazine for B2G1F, the only catch is that you have to be a member of their 10% off club to use it.
Old 07-05-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry to see a false heads-up, but I'm not too torn up about it since I wasn't going to be able to buy anything, anyway. They seem to run these more consistently in the fall/winter months, so I'm sure we'll all get our fix sooner than later.
Old 07-05-06, 08:11 PM
Banned

I'm cool with it. They didn't have anything worth buying anyway, which has been the case for a couple of months now.
Old 07-06-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was never going to be a sale, it was just new singage for future use, to replace our old beat up signs. That manager is just stupid and could not read the HUGE 'DO NOT DISPLAY -- HOLD FOR LATER' orange stickers all over it
Old 07-06-06, 01:24 PM

Just went to ebGames yesterday 7/05 in Elk Grove, CA -- they have 3 for $10 on dvds priced $5.99 and below. I picked up Gothika, Hannibal and The Forgotten. I also saw Godsend, The Ring, The Village, Van Wilder, American Flyer, Red Dragon, and a lot more I, I just couldn't remember the titles.
Old 07-06-06, 02:57 PM

I picked up the Twilight Zone Definitive Season sets of 2, 3 & 4. I decided to pick up another magazine @ $5.99 just for the coupon, since it made one of the $29.99 boxsets free. Evening buying the mag, I still got the boxsets for about $21.50 each. And they're mint condition. Oh, and a GI Joe The Movie OOP for $9.00. A good day for me!

Still, I have my eye on some other goodies when another B2G1 sale comes up again.
Old 07-06-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I decided to jumpstart my hd dvd collection with nine titles I found at two different Gamestops. I also just decided to buy two mags to get the coupons since it was cheaper that way. All the hd titles were near mint and complete. I read over at CAG that there might be a promo sometime early next month, after the coupon expires on the 31st.
Old 07-07-06, 12:04 AM
Banned

Did get a nice little deal yesterday that I forgot about.

"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", a 2 disc Larry Bird set, and an OOP "Shadowlands" for $9.50 after discount w/ my card.
Old 07-07-06, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What the hell are used hd-dvds doing showing up for sale so soon? I just don't see the "early adopter" type, who would drop $400-$500 for an hd player, being the kind to watch an hd-dvd once or twice and then get rid of it when hd titles are so scarce right now. What are they going to use to show of their system with if they are dumping all their discs after watching them?
Old 07-07-06, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
What the hell are used hd-dvds doing showing up for sale so soon? I just don't see the "early adopter" type, who would drop $400-$500 for an hd player, being the kind to watch an hd-dvd once or twice and then get rid of it when hd titles are so scarce right now. What are they going to use to show of their system with if they are dumping all their discs after watching them?

My guess is that those hd-dvds were probably stolen and then given as trade-in. Not a rarity occurrence in many areas.
Old 07-07-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
My guess is that those hd-dvds were probably stolen and then given as trade-in. Not a rarity occurrence in many areas.
That was my first thought too. But I asked the clerk and he informed me that they were all traded in by some kid whose mother works in the industry. Apparently, he gets a bunch of free stuff and trades in most of what he doesn't keep. One other GS I visited had one random title and the manager told me they stopped buying back HD titles.
Old 07-07-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Maybe this is common knowledge, but do the prices on EBGames website correspond to the prices in the store? There are a few GBA games I'd like to pick up, but the prices on the stickers are higher than I'd expect. Like Yoshi's Island is $20 new, but $30 used. If the website prices are correct, there's a few things I'd pick up using the magazine coupon.
Old 07-07-06, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Maybe this is common knowledge, but do the prices on EBGames website correspond to the prices in the store? There are a few GBA games I'd like to pick up, but the prices on the stickers are higher than I'd expect. Like Yoshi's Island is $20 new, but $30 used. If the website prices are correct, there's a few things I'd pick up using the magazine coupon.

No, they prices differ between website and in-store, specially on used items.